Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

I use Logitech Force 3d and I'm very happy with it. I've found that Force Feedback is extreemely useful in Il-2 as you can feel a stall coming on. This way you know just how far you can push the aircraft. I don't like the twist-handle though, but it can be disabled thankfully. I just use the keyboard for rudder.

107.gif

($99.95 Canadian)

I use the non force version of that stick.

I tried that one out, and I found the force effects a little flakey. So I traded it in on the non force version. What I would really like is one of the Saitek HOTAS rigs, with some decent rudder pedals.

But I cant find a dealer that can order the better Saitek stuff sad.gif

I've never seen Saitek in Canada either. Probably going to have to order it from the states if you want it. I figured it would cost $150Cdn total when shipped as I am looking into getting a new HOTAS. Right now I'm running a M$ Sidwinder3d pro and CH pro throttle that are around 7 years old right now smile.gif Still kicking, but since I run xp and gameport programable sticks are no longer supported I have to boot to dos to program the stick smile.gif In a way this is good b/c I tend to focus on a single sim now. Right now I'm a facist swatting the evil Bears from the sky in IL2 smile.gif Damn that game amazes me.

On another note I have seen that Strike Fighters Project 1 is set to be released at the end of this month smile.gif Damn fine looking 60's sim. The Rhino is finally going to be in a sim. And then LOMAC in the new year. Fun times ahead.

COLINMAN

Radio Shack and Future Shop carry the 'Cyborg' product, but not the X36 or it's newer bretheren.

What I really want is some really hard core old school Thrustmaster stuff...but it's almost impossible to find. No one wants to part with it! Funny thing is that I am a mediocre pilot at best.

The sim I want the most is the new one Totally Games is working on for Lucasarts.

Anyone remember BH1942, BoB and SWotL? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ July 14 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Radio Shack and Future Shop carry the 'Cyborg' product, but not the X36 or it's newer bretheren.

What I really want is some really hard core old school Thrustmaster stuff...but it's almost impossible to find. No one wants to part with it!  Funny thing is that I am a mediocre pilot at best.

The sim I want the most is the new one Totally Games is working on for Lucasarts.

Anyone remember BH1942, BoB and SWotL? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Those are my baby teeth sims smile.gif Those and Gunship & f19 on my C64 smile.gif From there I grew into my great love of sims. I remember having a pilot in TFH that had over 1000 kills smile.gif The good ol' just pitch straight up and the banit will fly under you every time. For the first little bit I even played the sim with my mouse b/c I couldn't afford a joystick for the computer smile.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ July 15 2002,02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I use Logitech Force 3d and I'm very happy with it. I've found that Force Feedback is extreemely useful in Il-2 as you can feel a stall coming on. This way you know just how far you can push the aircraft. I don't like the twist-handle though, but it can be disabled thankfully. I just use the keyboard for rudder.<span id='postcolor'>

My Logitech Force 3d broke after a year of use. But it was fun to use. Now I have a Saitek X45 and I like it very much. The X45 costs only about 100€ and it's great value for your money.

It's so much fun to take a helicopter and fly around the islands a couple of meters off the ground between the trees with a HOTAS system. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ July 15 2002,03:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ July 15 2002,02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I use Logitech Force 3d and I'm very happy with it. I've found that Force Feedback is extreemely useful in Il-2 as you can feel a stall coming on. This way you know just how far you can push the aircraft. I don't like the twist-handle though, but it can be disabled thankfully. I just use the keyboard for rudder.<span id='postcolor'>

My Logitech Force 3d broke after a year of use. But it was fun to use. Now I have a Saitek X45 and I like it very much. The X45 costs only about 100€ and it's great value for your money.

It's so much fun to take a helicopter and fly around the islands a couple of meters off the ground between the trees with a HOTAS system. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

How does the detents on the throttle effect flying the helicopter? I would imagine they would get in the way if I was flying EECH. Can they be 'removed' if you want a smooth throttle from top to bottom?

COLINMAN

I've been using my Sidewinder 3d Pro for a lot of years and it works great.

BTW, 666th post!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I tried that one out, and I found the force effects a little flakey. <span id='postcolor'>

That really depends on the way the game handles force feeback. I've had some games which are horrible at it (eg Novalogic's F-16/MiG-29) in that case, I just unplug the force feedback power input. IL-2 handles very well with FF though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ July 15 2002,19:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ July 15 2002,03:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ July 15 2002,02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I use Logitech Force 3d and I'm very happy with it. I've found that Force Feedback is extreemely useful in Il-2 as you can feel a stall coming on. This way you know just how far you can push the aircraft. I don't like the twist-handle though, but it can be disabled thankfully. I just use the keyboard for rudder.<span id='postcolor'>

It's so much fun to take a helicopter and fly around the islands a couple of meters off the ground between the trees with a HOTAS system. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

How does the detents on the throttle effect flying the helicopter? I would imagine they would get in the way if I was flying EECH. Can they be 'removed' if you want a smooth throttle from top to bottom?

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Actually the detents help to fly because if you cut the throttle to zero (or very near zero) you lose maneuverability. But if you don't like the detents then they can be adjusted very easily with a screwdriver. I must say the X45 is one of my favourite joysticks. But if you have very small hands then you might find it a tad big.

Old thread - I know, sorry, but the game is supposedly coming out soon and since we started talking about this in the Forgotten Battles thread, well, maybe we should keep that one for WWII instead of fast-forwarding time biggrin_o.gif.

Speaking of FB, those of you who followed it's development might remember Ian Boy's weekly War  Stories which he played out using the beta version. He's now doing the same with Lo-Mac. The first one was released today:

Convoy Attack

Mods: ppppplease don't lock this, you have no clue how hard I've worked in adding all the P's to this post, even though it was quite entertaining reading it with 2/3rd's of them missing initially biggrin_o.gif

I'm definately looking forward to LOMAC. Wish it had an F-16, but I'm looking forward to that A-10.

There's always F4 if I want to fly F-16s.

There have been hints from the developers that if it sells well enough, they might release a followup with more Western lanes, sort of like what hapened with Il-2. So y'all grab a coy! biggrin_o.gif.

Aye, July should be a very good month for flight simulation enthusiasts, with supposedly LO:MAC and FS 2004 coming out.

Personally, I can't really decide which I'm waiting for more. Watching airliners landing and taking off everyday at my job at the airport, I feel the need to have FS 2004 as soon as possible biggrin_o.gif

I hope LO:MAC lives up to the expectations, I'm especially interested to see how deadly the Russian SAM systems are. As far as I remember, there were Strela & Igla, SA-13 Gopher, SA-12 Gladiator/Giant ... Unfortunately my personal favourite, SA-11 Gadfly is missing sad_o.gif

Well, I guess this doesn't ruin the whole gaming experience for me :P

Hopefully they have a demo first. I always have this need to try the games before I buy them.

Been playing the demo since 1997: Su-27 1.5. I'm sold biggrin_o.gif.

Since I can't control a WWII plane in a dogfight with realism settings on, I doubt I will be able to control a modern high-tech one in a dogfight. That's where invincibility and unlimited ammo come in wink_o.gif

When I get it, I think I'll be mainly sticking with the mission editor. That was the funnest thing in Flanker 2.5 for me, making mission. I liked making USvsRussia ship on ship missions with maybe some planes loaded up with ASM's. The Tu-160 was a partically good craft, beeing able to take up to 20 ASM's.

I got a good deal of fun watching missiles closing in on ships then wondering if the targetted ships anti-missile systems would be able to take out the incoming missile.

I think LOMAC should hold the same fun for me

Bah, I'm just waiting for SP4. If it ever gets released!

Nothing like engressing at 550kts at 20 feet in a Tornado GR4.

Are you sure LOMAC's coming out in July?  Last time I heard(though this was several months ago) they were talking September, and I'd be pretty surprised if they moved it up.  I hope it is though.

And I really do hope they developers release addon packs for it, and that there are eventually many 3rd party addons for it, since this is really the only modern air-combat sim on the horizon(atleast that I know about).

Well, their FAQ says Summer of '03, and by all accounts from people who have the intestinal fortitude to hang around on Ubi forums, the devs have all but promised a July release.

There have been hints from the developers that if it sells well enough, they might release a followup with more Western lanes, sort of like what hapened with Il-2. So y'all grab a coy! biggrin_o.gif.

What, do you have to go Pee or something? rock.gifsmile_o.gif I'll bet your keyboard is acting up.

il2= best ww2 combat flight sim, lomac= best modern flight sim biggrin_o.gif

Wow. Look at all of the avaliable countries you're able to play:

* Russia

* USA

* Ukraine

* UK

* Turkey

* France

* Germany

* Spain

* The Netherlands

* Belgium