Sign in to follow this  
Wonder

New a-10 or an f-16

Because I take people's opinion into account... it doesn't mean I'll decide to do what they want me to do... just it's just another weight in the scales smile_o.gif

Anyways... Sole and Shar are making a new A-10, so we might get both aircrafts!

LOL, sounds like how we practice democracy in holland.

Ask ppl what they want (by vote) and then do the oposite.

Stop making addons, you could get famous being a politician.!

smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Because I take people's opinion into account... it doesn't mean I'll decide to do what they want me to do... just it's just another weight in the scales smile_o.gif

Anyways... I've teamed up with Sole and Shar on a new A-10 project. We might get both aircrafts!

Gooody smile_o.gif

Looking forward to it already.

If you do decide to have a go at the f-16, pllllleeeeaaase set the starting speed no higher than 600. The newer fighter addons are a pain in the ass since they fly way too fast for OFP.

In my opinion, OFP is a ground warfare sim. Aircraft in OFP should therefore mainly be for CAS (Close Air Support) or transport purposes. This is practicly impossible when wizzing over a small island at 1400 mph. I usually check if an aircraft is the right speed for me by starting it at the edge of a map (Nogova, Malden or Everon), and try to land at the airfield. If I'm unable to do this, then the aircraft is too fast for my purposes.

If peeps want realistic aircraft handling, go buy a flightsim...

Just my 2 cents

LOL, sounds like how we practice democracy in holland.

Ask ppl what they want (by vote) and then do the oposite.

Stop making addons, you could get famous being a politician.!

smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Stop making addons

LOL I haven't even started yet!

If someone could get me some high-quality pics of an F-16A (Block 15) I might even add the A-version it to the pack.

Since most air forces operating the F-16 use the same base camouflage I might even make it roundel-compatible.

If you want to 're-use' the flares/CBU/roundel/multi-weapon

coding from my planes, feel free. If you need some help, you

can PM me here.

Only one bullet spawnpoint per plane I'm afraid. Trenchfeet

and Bratty have done some work on this, but I'm not sure

what the status is. If you're going to use 'modified' rockets

instead, then you might as well do a LAU pod.

For high res 3-views, I usually use:

Russian Page

The text is in Russian, but if you hover over the links, the

html page names are in English. The site is a bit slow as well.

I think a correction is in order... We haven't actually agreed on teaming up with Sole and Shar on the A-10. I'm just helping them in any way I can.

My bad! tounge_o.gif

Sounds good so far smile_o.gif oh- you mentioned about using a really long cannon sound- I'm not sure about this, flashpoint can do weird stuff with long sound files (for example on aircraft engine sounds the sound will cut out for short periods of time at random moments crazy_o.gif )

Ack, I don't know what the obsession about the A-10 is right now.  Yes, the BIS A-10 is very weak and quite boring in design, loadout, and features.  An improved version of the A-10 would be great, but I personally would like to see a good overall F-16 Addon.

The biggest reason:

Vit's F-16 pack sucks, mainly because his aircraft weapons are pieces of crap, literally.  Vit's aircraft bombs couldn't kill a group of 500 civilians bunched together.   It may look good with the skins and 3D models, but the handling of it sucks and isn't even close to what I would call a "Combat Capable" aircraft in OFP-R.

I garantee anyone that thinks using an A-10 for CAS is up for a VERY ugly and rude awakening.  Try outmanuvering the new SA-11 by BKM.  

The SA-11 addon acts like a REAL SAM, if it locks onto your aircraft, the only way out is a VERY high speed and high G turn at the last 2 seconds before it hits.  That is why the A-10 is being replaced now in the USAF, it has a low combat mission radius and is becoming obsolete with the Air Defense threat increasing in most militaries.  

What dumb bombs, mavericks, and the A10 GAU-8 did back then, cluster bombs, JDAM's, and JSOW smart submuntions do now.  Thus, it would be wise to use better equipped aircraft that can evade those Air threats better by using F-16's, F/A-18's, F-15E's, and soon to come F/A-22 into full service (That's correct, it's now F/A-22) and the F/A-35 JSF into full service about 4 to 8 years from now.

A-10 in OFP versus the 256 Tunguska, the BIS manpads, or against the SA-11 is VERY bad news.   Get me a F-16C in OFP-R with reasonably effective countermeasures(NO ECM, too effective in stopping SAM hits), realistic flight handling for the F-16, reasonably effective Air to Air missiles, and a balanced loadout.  With that loadout, I can take on anything in OFP with confidence.

Anyways, I'll take an F-16 to go thru hell and back anyday compared to a sluggish tank that is nothing but a SAM target begging to take a hit.

Anyways, that's my take on it.

Ack, I don't know what the obsession about the A-10 is right now.  Yes, the BIS A-10 is very weak and quite boring in design, loadout, and features.  An improved version of the A-10 would be great, but I personally would like to see a good overall F-16 Addon.

The biggest reason:

Vit's F-16 pack sucks, mainly because his aircraft weapons are pieces of crap, literally.  Vit's aircraft bombs couldn't kill a group of 500 civilians bunched together.   It may look good with the skins and 3D models, but the handling of it sucks and isn't even close to what I would call a "Combat Capable" aircraft in OFP-R.

I garantee anyone that thinks using an A-10 for CAS is up for a VERY ugly and rude awakening.  Try outmanuvering the new SA-11 by BKM.  

The SA-11 addon acts like a REAL SAM, if it locks onto your aircraft, the only way out is a VERY high speed and high G turn at the last 2 seconds before it hits.  That is why the A-10 is being replaced now in the USAF, it has a low combat mission radius and is becoming obsolete with the Air Defense threat increasing in most militaries.  

What dumb bombs, mavericks, and the A10 GAU-8 did back then, cluster bombs, JDAM's, and JSOW smart submuntions do now.  Thus, it would be wise to use better equipped aircraft that can evade those Air threats better by using F-16's, F/A-18's, F-15E's, and soon to come F/A-22 into full service (That's correct, it's now F/A-22) and the F/A-35 JSF into full service about 4 to 8 years from now.

A-10 in OFP versus the 256 Tunguska, the BIS manpads, or against the SA-11 is VERY bad news.   Get me a F-16C in OFP-R with reasonably effective countermeasures(NO ECM, too effective in stopping SAM hits), realistic flight handling for the F-16, reasonably effective Air to Air missiles, and a balanced loadout.  With that loadout, I can take on anything in OFP with confidence.

Anyways, I'll take an F-16 to go thru hell and back anyday compared to a sluggish tank that is nothing but a SAM target begging to take a hit.

You've sold me on the F-16, can I change my vote please?!! tounge_o.gif

a sluggish tank that is nothing but a SAM target begging to take a hit.

there are a couple dead iraqi, talibani and serbian soldiers who would strongly disagree......

I would also prefer a F-16 since it's used in so many airforces all over the world... And make it roundels capable like Footmunch's airplanes.

As for the A-10, a retexture of the BIS one would be nice and some scripts ... And also, before I forget, the canopy should be animated like the F-18 or the Harrier of the Falklands mod.

it maybe getting outdated compared to modern equipment (ie 90's to present) but it was just fine back in the 80's which oddly enough is when OFP/OFPR is based ;)

and just because it would get massecred by a SAM, why is that a reason for someone not to make one? would be fine for missions where there arent strong SAMs and so it can perform as it was intended.

im not saying someone dont make an F16 and make a A10 instead, just saying that why not do both (or one team do the F16 while another does the A10?) so that way both parties are happy?

ruff: swooping how do you mean? if you mean diving slightly (or not as is the case) then whats wrong with that? watch footage and you will see that they dont actually need to as their onboard computers will calculate it automatically... CCIP or CCRP for example

check out the vits f16

it swoops down so low that it will crash wen ai is piloting wen attacking  a tank

all plane addons ive downloaded do this

except the bis a10

the current plane addons swoop down so low around 20m after it drops its ordinates and crashes

if not that first run its guranteed on its 3rd if not second

The biggest reason:

Who's to say a SA-11 that can take out an A10 can't take out a F16? tounge_o.gif

I beleive I reinforced my position of the A-10 on another thread. But I'm not gonna post the pics here (cross posting). But if you see them, I think you'd agree that a single engine F-16 would never have brought the pilots home.

I got my OFP cd back from my friend (he didn't need it anymore, since he bought GOTY), so I'm ready to make the 3d-models needed for the F-16. As soon as I get the hang of o2-modeling I'll beging working on a decent f-16 model.

I've been working with plastic models, so I promise you every part of the aircraft will be on its place smile_o.gif

did you check the F-16 blueprints I showed you yesterday?

Yes I did! I already made background images out of it. Thanx m8! ;)

Any modern combat pilot knows that RCS, speed, and high manuverability is the key to evading airborne threats.  I didn't say the F-16 is immune to SAM and AAA threats, I just said that today's air defense systems have no mercy on slow and big strike aircraft with large RCS's.  In addition, most NATO airforces frown on aircraft operations from altitudes lower than 10,000 ft AGL.  

An aggressive anti-SAM and anti Early Warning site approach is mostly used by NATO countries through stealth strikes, thus minimizing the major threat of Flak and manpads.  That eliminates the need to plow through flak and extra risk.

Despite the low probably of it happening right now, if the US got into an Air War with China about Tawian, I garantee when those J Fighters and the Su-27's start comming in masses, you are going to want an F-16, F-15, or an F/A-18.  

A multi-role air superiority strike/fighter is vital in today's potential conflicts and threats.  The A-10 is a relic of the Cold War purpose to survive in a huge Flak environment while having the allied force keeping air superiority.

Anyways, many reasons and information sources could go either way on the topic of F-16 versus A-10 and vise-versa.

Well the airforce always says this and them mothballs these aircraft like the B52s, only to have to drag em back into service when the shit hits the fan and the preaty shiney new gadget fails to perform correctly. All the new bombers can't carpet bomb for anything. The A10 is slow but very agaile, durring a training mission news crews were dared to keep their camaras locked on a A10 pulling maneuvers over the desert. None could keep it in longer than two seconds out of six camaramen with using a wide shot. A10 airframe is way tougher than the F16 got a bunch of em here from the first gulf war they literly returned on one engine and major sections of the aircraft missing, and still returned to combat duty after major repairs. See a few training planes crack up on the runway making a wheels up landing and are back on the flightline. I dislike the airfarces idea of dropping the A10, and not letting the Army or Marines operate the aircraft because it would undermined the dependicy of ground forces needing airforce for CAS. I remember A10 drivers favorite game was to remove our vehicle radio atnennas in the field by flying that low. Airforces main snivle about em is they can't achive over Mach 1. A10 is well cpable of jinking out of a SAMs path, and even surviving taking a hit by one and able to limp back if the pilot isn't killed. They can be seen avoiding SAMs in the recent Iraq war and in the Afganistant wars as the Taliban had reather dencet air defence capabilityes including Iglov, Grail, and Stingers. I recall the one KIA in the gulfwar one in an A10 made it back to the airbase mission most of the wing one engine, the tail section, lost hydrlics and most of the flight controls and limped this bird back to base, dispite being told to punch out was killed trying to land with damaged landing gear and touched the remaing wingtip and rolled over and ground himself to hamberger. And exploded, the ammo hopper blew open and spilled the 30 AP rounds everywhere. Used to have it on videi tape because my airforce buddy was a combat camaraman and was standing there with the film running when it happen, as well as fimling the extractiong og the pilots body and recovery mission and autopcey of the pilots body durring the investigation. I would think it be nearly impossable to simulate an A10 proporly in the OPF engine. F16, its a jet engine with a ejectionseat bolted to it. They are also fairly old airframes that have been through a fair number of upgrades, single engine means it dies your arather large exspensive lawn dart. I like both aircraft, the local airforce base uses both near me. My vote goes for an updated A10 still, tons of high performance aircraft already.

That's fine with your great view about the A-10, but could it hurt ya if you could use some PARAGRAPHS for a change.   crazy_o.gif   I almost went to sleep reading such a long reply grouped together.

Either way you think, the A-10's are very soon to be scrapped and the idea of plowing through the enemy with a heavy armored support craft is going to die with the A-10 also. Despite its good performance record, I say good riddens to this Cold War Relic that has done its job for when it was needed and now needs to be in the museum, not active combat.

The rule for U.S and various modern airforces is you don't go into flak or manpad turf(Below 10,000 AGL) except to mask your approach or hide from radar guided SAM's.  The A-10 kind of contradicts that and has outlived its usefulness, so the USAF is getting rid of it.  The incident with the shooting down of the F-117 Nighthawk proves the validity of that rule and plenty of experiences in the good ole Vietnam War also emphasize that.

You can either adapt to change and use it to your advantage or die in your aircraft, plain and simple.

That's fine with your great view about the A-10, but could it hurt ya if you could use some PARAGRAPHS for a change.   crazy_o.gif   I almost went to sleep reading such a long reply grouped together.

Either way you think, the A-10's are very soon to be scrapped and the idea of plowing through the enemy with a heavy armored support craft is going to die with the A-10 also. Despite its good performance record, I say good riddens to this Cold War Relic that has done its job for when it was needed and now needs to be in the museum, not active combat.

The rule for U.S and various modern airforces is you don't go into flak or manpad turf(Below 10,000 AGL) except to mask your approach or hide from radar guided SAM's.  The A-10 kind of contradicts that and has outlived its usefulness, so the USAF is getting rid of it.  The incident with the shooting down of the F-117 Nighthawk proves the validity of that rule and plenty of experiences in the good ole Vietnam War also emphasize that.

You can either adapt to change and use it to your advantage or die in your aircraft, plain and simple.

Actually, the Army is crying about getting the Air Force to keep it's A-10s. The Army even thought about getting the Air Force to transfer the A-10s to the Army Aviation Branch, where they'd be flown by Army pilots (this didn't work out). Even the Marines recently considered adopting the A-10s (but decided not to for reasons I can't remember).

Havocsquad, your comments are pretty ignorant, to be honest. How many A-10s have been shot down because they fly so low? If you've ever been on an exercise and seen how A-10s operate, you'd know damn well that they're very survivable aircraft. I've had the good fortune to be on two combined arms exercises with A-10s one at Fort Irwin in California and the other in Hohenfels CMTC in Germany and both times I was totally suprised at how effective the Warthog could be.

It flies below ridgelines, constantly keeping out of sight. When it makes a run over a target, it's exposed for less than 5 seconds. You can't hear it when it's in the next valley over.

It's an outstanding close air support aircraft, which is why they have been kept for so long. They're more effective now than they ever were. Look at how they performed in Iraq. Your argument about 10,000' AGL is bogus. The only time they ever had to operate like that was in Kosovo, IIRC.