Sign in to follow this  
Renagade

Temperature control,bugs and global warming

Oh yeah, and I play *ahem* american football in it. On astro-turf which is another 10 degrees, in pads, which is another 5 degrees, and with humidity, makes it about 135, which I must stay, is pretty damn hot. What surprises me most is you brits don't have any air condidtioning. I have been in London when is was pretty damn hot, and I can't see why you would most people would not install some type of AC in their homes/apartments, is it a cost-related issue?

Oh yeah, and I play *ahem* american football in it. On astro-turf which is another 10 degrees, in pads, which is another 5 degrees, and with humidity, makes it about 135, which I must stay, is pretty damn hot. What surprises me most is you brits don't have any air condidtioning. I have been in London when is was pretty damn hot, and I can't see why you would most people would not install some type of AC in their homes/apartments, is it a cost-related issue?

Most of the year its just not hot enough to justify shelling out a lot of money on air conditioning here!! Plus we Brits are made of sterner stuff, no wimpy AC for us! tounge_o.gif

Ahh, while you crazy foreigners are off watching ice melt or watever it is you do to pass time in your hotter-than-usual weather, I'm wake-boarding on my lake, near the gulf coast of Florida, where it is a soothing 83 degrees (F) in the sun, with a cool breeze coming from the west. I'm also enjoying the large amount of rain we've recieved this summer. Most of my dock is submerged under a few inches of water, but that simply makes it more useful as a starting ramp for water-skiing.

blues.gif

Usually around 50F or 60F on cold days in Southern California... 70F to 80F on warm/mid hot days.... and 90F on burning hot days.

In my computer it is hell.

Edit: Before you even ask, though it may seem like it, I do NOT live in my computer case.

w00t , always wanted to go to California.

Santa cruz , or santa monica :love:

*edit*

my cpu is 58 idle with SLK800u

it's a bit OCC'ed tounge_o.gif

Its cool where I live. It rains VERY HARD at least 3 times a week and almost all the time the ground is muddy.It's 75 degrees here with 68% humidity.

PS: Im not lying

Its cool where I live. It rains VERY HARD at least 3 times a week and almost all the time the ground is muddy.It's 75 degrees here with 68% humidity.

PS: Im not lying

Wherebouts do you live in France? Might I suggest you move to the Riviera!! rock.gif

I went to Marseille once, the 2 days i was there it never stopped raining sad_o.gif

Hi all

The problem in the UK is not just that it is unusualy high tempretures it is that we have 90%  plus humidity.

Why is that significant? More heat gets transmited to the human body by the denser air and you cant escape it; even in the shade.

When i was in Iran traveling into Pakistan a few years back tempreture was 51 degrees C (note your blood boils at only 15 degrees above that) but as long as you were in the shade it was no problem and at night it would drop below freezing.

Here at the moment at night it is like sleeping in sauna. The moisture in the air retains the heat all night. You only get a little relief around 5:00 am to 8:00 am

I have taken to sleeping in the bathroom where the floor is tiled wraped in just a coton sheet. I then can get up and take a couple of showers as well.

To those countries with higher tempretures what is your humidity. I have a couple of Kurdish neghbours they are used to higher tempretures but not the humidity they are moaning about it worse than the English.

The major problem for me is that in this weather it is impossable to climb you just slime off everything.

Kind Regards walker

I bought an oscillating fan, have it on the highest setting and it moves from my feet to my head, sleep in ear plugs, works a treat smile_o.gif

just make sure it oscillates. crazy_o.gif

if it doesn't, it might obstuct your breathing and eventually cause suffocation.

here in LA it's 90F(33C), and humidity is 50% or so....but considering that most of buildings in LA do not have enough insulators, it gets hot easily just as in side as out.

and for personal situation..i am not using air conditioning system. but after 5pm, the wind gets a bit bearable so i'm letting it go through my place right now.

and using AMD in summer without proper cooler is a bad idea. crazy_o.gif

Cant u just burn out all the bushes and stuff in a controlled manner or will that  burn too many ppl ??

Oh well at least the bugs are getting  incinerated biggrin_o.gif

in the actual conditions , no fire can be 100% controlled , way too dangerous .

Quote[/b] ]just make sure it oscillates.

if it doesn't, it might obstuct your breathing and eventually cause suffocation.

how would that happen ??

u can increase ur chances with a moat tounge_o.gif

i guess now would be a good time to clear vegetation if ur in forest like surroundings unless u like a good inferno.

Back to the topic at hand i`ve managed to knock up a small cooling system made of fan which is a drill with a fan bit blowing over a bucket of ice biggrin_o.gif

Obviously fans would  be a start but what kind and is there any better cooling solution than fans because  i don`t want to be burning up too much electricty with them on all the time

lol, are you serious? I would think a computer would use more power than a fan would.

just get an old swamp cooler, they are cheap and they cool pretty well.

It gets to 110F pretty often here, its humid, and there is no wind so spending more money on power is better than putting up w/ that all summer  wink_o.gif

it aint even the heat thats bugging me now, im way past getting pissed off about that, its those freakin moths that insist on parking themselves on ma lamps, lights Tv's and even the freakin monitor. crazy_o.gifsad_o.gif

I don't get it... Now the people in UK have sunshine instead of all-day-rain and they are still complaining...

wink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Air condition? Only wastes energy. Hint: open windows to create a constant air flow usually called... draught(?)

And for the insects... you can buy big fly screens and pin them to your windows.

biggrin_o.gif

I don't get it... Now the people in UK have sunshine instead of all-day-rain and they are still complaining...

wink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Air condition? Only wastes energy. Hint: open windows to create a constant air flow usually called... draught(?)

And for the insects... you can buy big fly screens and pin them to your windows.

biggrin_o.gif

I would, but theres no bloody breeze!

On a nice point though, a icecream van pulled up outside our place, so the boss bought everyone free icecream! Huzzah!

It was 30-35 degrees celsius in here for couple of weeks. Pure hell! crazy_o.gif That is not what Finland is supposed to be. Luckily I was sailing with my dad for most of the hottest days. The wind made it more humane, and also there's water everywhere so I could go and swim almost anytime I wanted.

Thank god it's getting cooler now. I can't wait for the winter. -20 degrees celsius with all the snow and ice is heaven! biggrin_o.gif

where do you live ?

and btw , yeah firemen are heroes but they're reaching their operational limits and the worst is that almost no departement can detach fire elements to the south

Actually , i live in a normally little and quiet town in the Herault department , but in summer it is awfully crowed with the tourists coming in smile_o.gif

Some years ago , a guy that obviously had not every of his brain intact started several fire at +/- 1km from my house (he started them on an old volcano)

I saw every fire starting from a window of my house, it was impressive to see the proliferation speed (a lot of trees and bushes on this "dead" volcano). And the weather was not as hot as now.

The firemen were quick to arrive and to fight the fire (as there were no other fire in the department in this period) and prevented it to spread too much

The guy has been arrested and i always remember what he said as an excuse

"i cant see the cars in the road , because there was too much trees"

.... no comment rock.gif

But with the weather we have , in the area , i totally understand why firemen are exhausted .

There is the problem of the canadairs , it's been more than a year that our french firemen want that the government to do something to replace the lost canadairs (some of them were too old and were not replaced)

But it seems that money was more important for our politicians than fire combat . We have the result now mad_o.gif

South Suburbs of Chicago here... Ahhhh nice and cool, breeze off the lake...

Only problem is ending last week all it was, was heavy rain, funnel clouds, and a record amount of lightning strikes. Including taking a small portion of my tree down crazy_o.gif Hellfish, you catch any of that crap up by you?

When you say you don't have AC in the UK, do they not sell them at all or what? Cause my family bought one, it cools the entire house fairly well, (It's in the ass end of my house and has to cool 3 rooms, then the hallway, as long as we keep the bedroom doors closed it works well) and our electric bill was only about $60.

And installing it is as easy as cutting a hole in the wall, putting it through, and making sure it's airtight around it... just don't hire some members of my family to do that... tounge_o.gif

My house used to have 2 very nice window-mounted ACs, but somehow we decided they were too heavy so we sold them crazy_o.gif

South Suburbs of Chicago here... Ahhhh nice and cool, breeze off the lake...

Only problem is ending last week all it was, was heavy rain, funnel clouds, and a record amount of lightning strikes.  Including taking a small portion of my tree down  crazy_o.gif  Hellfish, you catch any of that crap up by you?

When you say you don't have AC in the UK, do they not sell them at all or what?  Cause my family bought one, it cools the entire house fairly well,  (It's in the ass end of my house and has to cool 3 rooms, then the hallway, as long as we keep the bedroom doors closed it works well) and our electric bill was only about $60.

And installing it is as easy as cutting a hole in the wall, putting it through, and making sure it's airtight around it... just don't hire some members of my family to do that...  tounge_o.gif

Normally we don't need the buggers. It rare to get temps this high for this long. A/C only ever gets installed in offices and shops, I don't know anyone with it their homes.

If it stays like this however, I think I might invest in one.

I spoke too soon. Midway through a mile run I was doing came a downpour crazy_o.gif

This "heatwave" might convince you lot to drink cold beer for a change!  tounge_o.gif

I may be wrong but isn't it unwise to drink alcohol in such hot weather as it dehydrates the body? Either way I'll stick to diet coke, don't like the taste of beer smile_o.gif

This "heatwave" might convince you lot to drink cold beer for a change!  tounge_o.gif

I may be wrong but isn't it unwise to drink alcohol in such hot weather as it dehydrates the body? Either way I'll stick to diet coke, don't like the taste of beer smile_o.gif

Coke along with tea,coffee and alcohol is unadvisable as they all dehydrate. wink_o.gif

Coke,tea and coffee all contain caffeine.