Sign in to follow this  
Jackal326

Sjb animated nvgs

@miles teg(I'm just hoping that BAS makes for their Delta/Rangers a monocle PVS-7 version as used by the U.S. Army. )

the monocolar is called a PVS-14 it is nice smile_o.gif

They have said it before and I'll say it again for them... BAS does not have any plans to update the rangers with new night vision goggles...

However, there WILL be an update to the rangers and deltas... with spiffy new textures and made JAM compliant

They have said it before and I'll say it again for them... BAS does not have any plans to update the rangers with new night vision goggles...

sucks, almost all the ranger pics from afghanistan ive seen all had mounted Night Vision Goggles on their helmets even in daylight.

was really hoping for these.

@miles teg(I'm just hoping that BAS makes for their Delta/Rangers a monocle PVS-7 version as used by the U.S. Army. )

However, there WILL be an update to the rangers and deltas... with spiffy new textures and made JAM compliant

Didn't they say that before because they couldn't get it to work? This addon works! I mean yeah it's the same basic night vision view when you use it, but at least it's not those old 80's green boxes. I think it would be really stupid of BAS to not include some new NVG's on their units when the scripting needed now exists.

If they don't do it, then I hope that Earl & Suchey or the Operation Code Blue team decides to use some new NVG's on at least some of their soldiers.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thankyou BD

Didn't they say that before because they couldn't get it to work?   This addon works!  I mean yeah it's the same basic night vision view when you use it, but at least it's not those old 80's green boxes.   I think it would be really stupid of BAS to not include some new NVG's on their units when the scripting needed now exists.  

If they don't do it, then I hope that Earl & Suchey or the Operation Code Blue team decides to use some new NVG's on at least some of their soldiers.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Stupid huh?

Look...we've had these for a while...we had 2 issues:

1) We couldn't get them to automatically turn on NV when they were lowered (which Jackal has solved)

2)The old BIS NVG model appeared under your goggles when NV was turned on.

Now...JAckal solved the 2nd issue by removing the proxy...which in turn rendered the AI blind at night. Not a good outcome.

The only way I see of solving this is to modify the NVG goggle proxy to basically remove the model from the proxy but keep the proxy intact. This would mean "patching" the core pbo file of the game.

In the end...the question I ask myself is....is it really worth all the friggin effort for a little eyecandy.

The amount of work vs. the reward is just not there for BAS to consider modifying all their models. Which is a lot! Sorry...perhaps Rangers V3.

Nothing....except that it is one happened to be already modified, and that the BIS googles will appear underneath when the "N" key is pressed.....other than that...pure eyecandy.....what we aren't prepared to do is make this modification and cpp changes to the 20+ models that make up the rangers/deltas

The way to change the Night Vision Sight is to change the textures in data.pbo (with installer like Kegetys it maked).

The textures are:

night_sum.01.paa to night_sum.05.paa and nightvisiontl.paa

Here are two screens how does it effect (Warning BIG files!):

Original Sight

Clean Sight

Missed one smile_o.gif The sights (black oval) are made by repeating a 90 arc 4 times. The file is called:

nightvisiontl.paa

and is in Data.pbo. For another example of changed NV views, have a look here:

Old NV Sights (137k)

and here:

New NV Sights (160k)

smile_o.gif

Oooh, that could bring some new possibilities for addons.

...and that the BIS googles will appear underneath when the "N" key is pressed...

If that is unwanted, just remove the proxy ;)

Quote[/b] ]If that is unwanted, just remove the proxy ;)

he implies that if you do that, the AI can't see at night...

All I know is that I've used this addon at night WITH THE GOGGLES DOWN on the AI, and I did not see any NVG's underneath their NVG's (if they were I didn't notice) nor did I notice the AI on my team having any problems fighting at night.   You just increase their skill level to the highest level and they don't have any problems at night.    THAT is why I wish at least BAS would consider making just ONE Delta and ONE Ranger model (not modifying all their units) with these goggles (or preferably PVS-7 or PVS-14's) the way they are in this addon.  

Yes it's eye candy, but it makes night missions feel a lot more realistic and as I said, the AI are NOT blind at night.  They function just fine.   Also, while I haven't tested it, this system should work fine for MP games as well.

But like I said, if BAS doesn't want to, then hopefully other mod teams like Operation Code Blue or Digital Grenade will use this system to add new NVGs.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

That was discussed on their IRC channel a while ago. I hope that BAS will consider doing it but I find it a bit unlikely sad_o.gif

That was discussed on their IRC channel a while ago. I hope that BAS will consider doing it but I find it a bit unlikely sad_o.gif

It seems like an awful lot of work for just eyecandy so it is unlikely.

Well most of the hard work has been done by Jackal. All that is needed is for them to port it over to one of their unit models and perhaps modify the goggle model and make instead a PVS-7 aor PVS-14. But even if they left it as is, it would still be a vast improvement over the big fat green boxes currently used.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I am not even pro moveable goggles, and I cant say i am too hot about this either. Sure it'd be neat but I can't say I like the warping. And as said this was discussed at the BAS channel (having one or all the Ranger(S) models fitted with this type of device)

Right, and as I said, BAS is not the only MOD team capable of using these goggles in their addons.  If they don't want to there are several other MOD teams making modern soldiers that I'm sure might be interested in making soldiers that will top BAS's models.  Operation Code Blue comes to mind as their units are very similar to BAS's and could use something to give them an edge over the BAS units.  There are many times when I'm torn about which units to use in a mission cuz I like the dust goggles, the more detailed model/textures, and the weapons in the BAS units but I also like the slightly chunkier models used in the Code Blue models, the sound effects on the units (voices and sound of gear shaking as you run), as well as the slightly stronger dammage levels simulating their body armor.  Oh... and they got Marines in their pack as well that have desert helmet and boots but woodland NBC suits (I think).  

So hopefully the guys from Operation Code Blue are reading this and will take notice.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well put.

BAS, Miles has got it right on. If you don't take the lead, someone else will.

Isn't this thread about Jackal's NVG's? Why all the discussion about other mods "having" to do it too?

BTW, Good work Jackal!

SelectThis

Jackals nvg inspired me to make a new nvg_proxy model. it´s a conversion from soldiers of fortune 2 and i replaced the existing model in data3d.pbo

newNVG.jpg

Looks nice, very nice. And replacing models isn't all that bad I figure. If one has a more modern NVG than the ones currently in the game I am for replacing the model. After all a semi-western NVG that reassembles a eastern block NVG is better then the green boxes is it not?