Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

Havn't read the thread but one thing i really didn't like in OFP was that the AI would wait in perfect formation for hours at a way point if you set it and not do anything, geeze I mean they arn't on the drill square.

My suggestions are,

if AI are on Safe-

They will talk to each other, sit down, smoke, drink from canteens etc.

if in danger,

majority will kneel in the prone behind conver position with a few with weapons kocked, locked, loaded and in the fire position.

if in stealth

would hide in grass, buildings etc.

Havn't read the thread but one thing i really didn't like in OFP was that the AI would wait in perfect formation for hours at a way point if you set it and not do anything, geeze I mean they arn't on the drill square.

My suggestions are,

if AI are on Safe-

They will talk to each other, sit down, smoke, drink from canteens etc.

if in danger,

majority will kneel in the prone behind conver position with a few with weapons kocked, locked, loaded and in the fire position.

if in stealth

would hide in grass, buildings etc.

He has a good point..

If they were to be realistic you could perhaps have them kneel whenever halted and go prone after a while if in danger

or on aware

BTW Ai should take cover when ordered a lot quicker at the moment they just seem to run around in circles when told to take cover. If there is no cover within 10 metres of them they should not try and run miles to take cover though

Play dead.

This would be very nice and realistic, you would have to secure areas by shooting the bodies a couple of times. This would have to be rare, since otherwise it would get to be boring, but I think it would be good and add a new dimension to the game. smile_o.gif

one of best AI around i just messed around with, Couter strike: Condition zero

I got a copy of it from a friend, illegal copy. But the AI on that game is hell a smart!

Maybe the ai style should be more "cowardly" - the first thought that goes into their heads is dart in any direction for anything: the ground, a bush, whatever. a couple of ai's would shoot first but maybe some sort of chaos should break out and even under human command the ai hits the dirt in a second. Much quicker animation (movement) reactions for all avatars should facilitate this. The ai mode would determine whether ai act like this like if they are in "swat" mode, they would shoot first and take cover in a different way.

This should all be implemented with the radioman, say you call for a pickup and throw smoke the chopper comes down and lands at your position and calling for a napalm strike close to your position, you throw smoke and run like mad so the AI pilots drop their payload around the smoke... All this is for if it's a vietnam campaign. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a normal (non-jungle) campaign...

Also you gotta include the Aussies (Australians), they played a descent part in the Vietnam War... We created Fast Ropeing and did such a damn good job at protecting their sector of the puc-toy province... hehe, just to add some diversity to the American side of things...

With the original game I remember I used to get individually targeted and killed by RPG fire as a soldier, it seems after updating I have to be in a vehicle to be targeted. RPG's are well known for their antipersonal use in Somalia and Vietnam.

Likewise I remember a LAW soldier targeting a M2 in a Fortress 2 and destroying it, this doesn't happen anymore to me. If anybody remembers this please verify, so I'm not losing my marbles. crazy_o.gif

If the above is true, I would like this to be introduced again. I also remember once in the original an AI actually used flares independently, could this be implemented as well.

It would be useful when AI soldiers are out of Ammo. Instead of just going to dead soldiers as directed by their AI leader. They could also use Ammo Crates, as this is especially useful for AA soldiers since it usually takes three stingers to knock out one Hind.

smile_o.gif

With the original game I remember I used to get individually targeted and killed by RPG fire as a soldier, it seems after updating I have to be in a vehicle to be targeted. RPG's are well known for their antipersonal use in Somalia and Vietnam.

Likewise I remember a LAW soldier targeting a M2 in a Fortress 2 and destroying it, this doesn't happen anymore to me. If anybody remembers this please verify, so I'm not losing my marbles. crazy_o.gif

If the above is true, I would like this to be introduced again. I also remember once in the original an AI actually used flares independently, could this be implemented as well. ...

I remember these things happening also. The AI also seemed to be able to use hand grenades, which I don't see them doing anymore.

I'm sure I'll get wierd looks because of this but it it possible for the ai in "woods exercises" move through the forest kinda like what is shown in Metal Gear Solid 3? (Whoa, that just sounded wrong in an instant!)

GameTrailers.com - M-list

Scroll down this list an find the E3 MGS3 trailer.  In the middle, the video shows some guys moving along in the forest, covering all angles.

Maybe ai movement should have an ai mode where it follows in formation precisely and quickly so they can keep up with you when you pass through "high density areas." like the forest or urban areas

The ai doesnt have to be exactly like the video (plus it's too late and too cosmetic to implement by now, im sure) but I want the ai to keep up in formation.  The player speed is faster than the ai's for playability right now i guess but I want the ai to keep up in formation even if they have to run faster.

Maybe figuring out a way for the ai to move quickly around objects would be enough

Thanks noundo, now I don't have to have my psychological evaluation test. biggrin_o.gif

Hi,

Tracker Units

I think it would be great to have units that are able to track living enemy units by moving to locations where they've been and following on from there to the next location.

Imagine cleaning up at the end of a mission where you just can't find that last enemy. You'd order your tracker to "find bad guy" and he'd start on the trail of the nearest living enemy unit, maintaining the combat mode and behaviour he was previously set to - you'd follow him and your team would follow you.

AI teams would also have this and use the tracker where a detected unit had not registered as killed and no immediate threat was detected in the area (ie. they'll only start tracking once a firefight is over). The set up would need to be the same - tracker takes point and leader follows him, with the rest of the squad following leader.

This would be useful for all kinds of missons - including search and rescue where your tracker goes after the nearest living friendly instead of enemy, tracking down a sniper, and being tracked by enemy forces Å• la Tears of the Sun.

Going even further, tracker dogs that could track a single designated unit would be too cool to play with, or against.

This'd all need to be fairly realistic though and not too accurate - each game unit or group might need to leave a "trail" of gamelogics and that'd probably eat up too many cpu cycles...a project for the scripting gurus maybe?  biggrin_o.gif

a tracker unit would be great for those times where you know you didn't clear the entire villiage but you don't want the ai to keep its ass down 90% of the time. They should carefully follow to tracker and duck for cover the second contact is made.

something that MUST ne better in ofp2 is when a soldier whidout an RPG have a tank close to it. in ofp it will just stay there and wait for death, insted fo runing.

and it would be good if the ai could see bit better.

something that would add a small touch is programming a route to a point man when you are the 1/ic of a squad. In real life you would not normally have a sergeant or officer leading the way because if you run into a sniper you lose your 1ic. normally theyre in the middle of the column with the radioman nearby

In Seal Team (1993) you played the point man and could give limited orders to the team leader, who stayed in the middle.  It was very immersing that way, because as the point man, you were in the thick of action and when you called in support or commanded teammates, you could pretend that the squad leader was following your advice.

Maybe there should be an indirect command system involving the pointman.  I think the Seals keep this system sort of right?  smile_o.gif

EDIT:: I challenge as much people to play a little Seal Team right now. It's a super bitch to run now but with dosbox you can have sound and everything. Too bad it's glitchy as hell, I'd love a remake. It's basically the coolest Seal Simulator for its age. Of course Ebud's "Tax Man" mission is so close to that game in terms of play mechanics and awsomeness.

Vietcong had a point for you to follow as you played team leader. I like that approach. I would like to either play as point w/ a ai team leader, or as the leader w/ a point running things.

I think some effort should also be spent on the AI for tanks or other armor, and the interaction between tanks and foot soldiers.

Tanks should be hesitant to move into areas without having some friendly infantry nearby - armor unsupported by infantry is generally vulnerable to AT ambushes and such, so it would be cool if there was some way of making AI tank commanders keep their armor close to friendly infantrymen. Ideally the infantry should be out front while the tanks hang back a bit.

Though I'd really like to see the ability of tank crews to detect enemy infantry to be lowered substantially when buttoned up. Even with periscopes and thermal imagers and stuff, tanks should have a hard time spotting infantrymen. This of course wouldn't be a problem when the commander is turned out, so that should probably be worked out at as well.

I'd also like to see crews and pilots act like crews and pilots - I know that they're armed, but they just aren't infantry. Just the other day I knocked out a tank and the crew bails out, but they continue to advance on foot and were engaging guys with their small arms. They should be inept or damn close to it when it comes to using their personal weapons - IMO they should make a run for safety when their vehicle is knocked out of action. If there's any chance to flee, they should, and they should only use their weapons to defend themselves instead of going on the attack.

Along those lines, what's with tank crewmen and pilots carrying a standard infantry loadout anyway?

Quote[/b] ]Though I'd really like to see the ability of tank crews to detect enemy infantry to be lowered substantially when buttoned up

Yes, this is something that really started to wind me up on some the Resistance missions. You put a LAW into the back of a T54 500m away from cover and the turret immediately whips round and you have incoming. :-(

Id tather not have tanks wating around for infantry as that would screw around with the editors. I would rather you can set the infantry to join the tank in a loose formation then split off again at another point point without three lines of code and an executable having to be written

I would like to see more properties being easily modifiable - For example

Have a AI group -

Situational Awareness/Tactics = */100

Level of awareness = */100

Leader = cautious/timid/confident/aggresive

Morale = */100

Leadership = */100

Suppressive Fire (Machineguns) = */100

Flanking = */100

Fire and Movement (Have guys spraying bullets down while units advance, get down, cover the next lot) - */100

Dynamic Formation (AI changes formation as to enemy disposition and terrain)

And have these settings randomised, set according to the overall skill level and rank.

Maybe also have a type of mission - patrol/defense/offense

If on patrol they will check in with other patrols and talk a lot more, it they are on offense they will roughly move together. If they are on defence the troops on other side of compund automatically react to an attack on other side.

*/100 - A value per cent.

Vietcong had a point for you to follow as you played team leader. I like that approach. I would like to either play as point w/ a ai team leader, or as the leader w/ a point running things.

But the Vietcong point man followed tightly scripted waypoints, so that may not be the best example.

A point man system would be great, anyway, and especially NCO's instead of officers as squad leaders. Those berets (black Naval Infantry berets on guys dressed in VDV camo?) and caps are just so easy to target.

I would like to see some sense when it comes to using boats. Sounds small and trivial, but nothing angers you more than spending a half hour setting up Higgens, PTR's , or what haver you to do a beach assault and all of them slam into eachother and bounce around on their way. As well, when they reach the beach, the boats seem to ahve this special ability to drive on land. Things most of the time shoot straight out of the water and at least 50 meters onto land.

gotta admit rigid raiders really do skid a good old distance if you stick them into the beach fast enough, perhaps if they beached if theyre not a hovercraft?

or perhaps little training wheels for the squids?