Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

The "sandbag" tuning on HMMV´s in Iraq for example came as a hectic counter-measure as they found out the the HMMV was more vulnerable to IED´s than they had thought it would be.

They followed the tradition of Nam and Korea war experiences, but, and it is a big "but", conventional landmines of actual fabrication which react on low and middle weight vehicles are much more powerful than they were 30 or 40 years ago, so sandbags on the bottom of the car do not help much anymore as the car either is ripped apart into pieces or the shockwave of the blast makes a real mess with the inner human organs.

Right now you use steel plates,titanium plates and Kevlar to pimp up your car-ride, although it´s imo only a psychological help and works only against minor IED´s and mines and of course small arms fire.

The approach taken by manufacturers is to design a bottom in V form that distracts the main explosion forces and a armoured bottom made of a material mix that does absorb energy up to a certain degree and keeps shrapnels out of the passanger cell.

Of course that is limited a lot.

As for the HMMV which never really was intended as a light armoured combat vehicle as it is in use today, there had to be adjustments made to the armour of doors, cargo area, bottom, engine compartment, windows and as a result of more weight, to suspension and gearbox.

It still only has limited capacities when it comes to IED´s, regular mines, RPG´s and big calibers, but the regular HMMV is more or less just a tinbox compared to the upgraded ones.

For reasons of forum rules I don´t post images of wrecked HMMV´s that got blown up by IED´s and mines of many kinds. You can simply find them on Google. Those pictures illustrate that the use of sandbags would have saved noones lives. confused_o.gif

yo.. wake up and read all posts (again)! and try to make sence.

jeeps were mentioned! i believe there will be jeep too in ArmA not only Hummers. So jeeps should carry sandbags.

jeeps/hummers will be messed up when they blow but passengers have more probability to live.

I would be just happy if vehicles (or even a LST)didn't fly everytime I hit them with a AT missile from a fixed wing aircraft.

dunno if this post involves physics but ill do it anyway:

when we pilot a chopper our angle vision is limited.. its kinda borring.. would be nice to have a bigger panoramic view

i noticed the keys (- +) are for zoom. would be nice if the zoom out would stay stactic and not coming to normal view, because zoom out shows a better panoramic view.

also when we look arround in chopper (with joystick) in 1st person view it will automatic goes back to front view. The idea would be, if we looked left it should stay with vision left and not come automatic to front veiw and right the same ideas.

I like when (with joystick) we look up and down it will remain up or down and will not come to midle. Same think should happen when we look to both sides.

i think 1st person view need to be changed somehow (maybe option) in this case can have a better angle view.

dunno if this post involves physics but ill do it anyway:

when we pilot a chopper our angle vision is limited.. its kinda borring.. would be nice to have a bigger panoramic view

i noticed the keys (- +) are for zoom. would be nice if the zoom out would stay stactic and not coming to normal view, because zoom out shows a better panoramic view.

If you want a bigger panoramic view, adjust the FOV (Field of View) in your userinfo.cfg.

Go to the Avonlady's OFP FAQ and search for "FOV".

also when we look arround in chopper (with joystick) in 1st person view it will automatic goes back to front view. The idea would be, if we looked left it should stay with vision left and not come automatic to front veiw and right the same ideas.

I like when (with joystick) we look up and down it will remain up or down and will not come to midle. Same think should happen when we look to both sides.

In my opinion I like games where it goes back to dead center when you release the point of view hat. I find it quite annoying to have to switch back to center view to continue flying.

Everyone has their own preferences and it'd be nice to have an option to either have the view snap back to center when you released the point of view hat, or to have it stay where you were looking.

Would it be possible to incorpotate such physics that would allow cannons to bassicaly cut the trees in half? Perhaps even have the falling part cause damage on anybody it crashed down onto?

Lol,thats pretty much the sum of it,those ragdoll effects can make some wierd pics though..take HL2 for example,then again how many times are the OFP players against walls,oh wait we get collision issues so thats a no no >.o.

Honestly I hope to get the walkable in vehicles,yaknow,trucks,planes,heli's,etc,this may sound useless but think about it,we'd be much less venerable comming out,could look around be we jump out,could load up vehicles in more heli's/planes and they'd be much safer,we could have more realistic airborne jumps (woo!wink_o.gif and probably even more.

bf2 has the physics right, you can ride in vehicles, that sort of thing....

hl2 type physics are probably to resourse consuming for a large scale simulator like ofp

Honestly I hope to get the walkable in vehicles,yaknow,trucks,planes,heli's,etc,this may sound useless but think about it,we'd be much less venerable comming out,could look around be we jump out,could load up vehicles in more heli's/planes and they'd be much safer,we could have more realistic airborne jumps (woo!wink_o.gif and probably even more.

I belive thats going to be implemented into Armed Assualt and it is Already in VBS1 so no doubt itll be in 'Game 2'

I don't know if this has been suggested, (I'm not reading all 25 pages of this thread! ) But what about good boats? Now that you can walk on vehicles there is alot of poteintal for aircraft cariers and subs and such. Anyone know anything about this?

@ Mar. 09 2005,10:55)]Considering that EPIC, Ubisoft and other game vendors already work with them closely I expect to see some videos of in-game-footage soon.

There are some trailers already!!

http://www.airtightgames.com/currentproject.html

Yes it is real!!!

Quote[/b] ]it would be a dream come true for every OFP fan to blow up every wall, house, object in to pieces. oooh yeahhh... ahhh.ahahhh....*homer*
VBS1 has this feature... So does Soldner but Soldner sux.

It is called Real-Time Dynamic Destruction and games like Red Faction and Red Faction 2 had this 4 years ago...

Maybe they can copy it from VBS1 into the ArAs & Game 2 engine???

Drives me bonkers with new games like BF2 where your tank clanks into the undestructable wooden wall. One of the things I loved about OFP. However there's still some of those steel trees that exist.

I want to see bullet holes through walls. And be able to peep through those holes into the womens locker room. whistle.gif

Drives me bonkers with new games like BF2 where your tank clanks into the undestructable wooden wall. One of the things I loved about OFP. However there's still some of those steel trees that exist.

I want to see bullet holes through walls. And be able to peep through those holes into the womens locker room.  whistle.gif

You sure you won't see some of them bulletholes in the women then? confused_o.gif

Hi

I got some further suggestions.

I would like to be able to drop and pick up each individual part of your inventory. Like dropping each gun, ammunition, glasses, boots, your closing whistle.gif

Similar things are already present in other games, and are probably not that hard to make.

And another, more general performance thingy. I'm having a quiet recent system (Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB RAM, geForce 6800...), and even with all this, my self-made OFP mission is unreasonable slow banghead.gif .

Well, it is a "larger" mission, with 150-250 total ai units, but whatever I change, my mission is just terribly jerking, until I stop every unit with "_x stop true" foreach..., but that's not the point in it.

Another issue is, empty missions with a viewingdistance of 2000 and more tend to also jerk awesomly. Sure, T&L mode is enabled.

The last issue leads me to the conclusion, that OFP's Object LOD management (bushes and units...) has very slow code, e.g. no MMX/SSE optimizations, because I've seen yet better results. And I hope, that if OFP2 is going to have some better physics, it won't have suck CPU taht much.

I would like to be able to drop and pick up each individual part of your inventory. Like dropping each gun, ammunition, glasses, boots, your closing whistle.gif

Similar things are already present in other games, and are probably not that hard to make.

And another, more general performance thingy. I'm having a quiet recent system (Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB RAM, geForce 6800...), and even with all this, my self-made OFP mission is unreasonable slow banghead.gif .

Another issue is, empty missions with a viewingdistance of 2000 and more tend to also jerk awesomly. Sure, T&L mode is enabled.

The last issue leads me to the conclusion, that OFP's Object LOD management (bushes and units...) has very slow code, e.g. no MMX/SSE optimizations, because I've seen yet better results. And I hope, that if OFP2 is going to have some better physics, it won't have suck CPU taht much.

1. you can already drop your gun and ammuntion, but i cant see why you would want to strip in a warzone? huh.gif

2. OFP's base code is 3 1/2 years old remember, and as such it was optimised for fast CPU's and slow graphics cards. Some of the newer Geforce and radeon models (6800, X850) are T@L, but OFP is designed to put the load on the CPU. Thats why some newer pc's dont achieve 80-90 FPS.

As far as im aware all my wishes for physics are already planned to be included biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Moving Target Posted on Sep. 14 2005,15:31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as im aware all my wishes for physics are already planned to be included  

And bannanas danced for joy in the streets

yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif

tounge2.gif

Hi

I got some further suggestions.

I would like to be able to drop and pick up each individual part of your inventory. Like dropping each gun, ammunition, glasses, boots, your closing  whistle.gif

And another, more general performance thingy. I'm having a quiet recent system (Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB RAM, geForce 6800...), and even with all this, my self-made OFP mission is unreasonable slow  banghead.gif .

Well, it is a "larger" mission, with 150-250 total ai units, but whatever I change, my mission is just terribly jerking, until I stop every unit with "_x stop true" foreach..., but that's not the point in it.

Man, that would be some ugly sight

50+ naked spetznaz not had a shower for 6 months....

*faints*

rofl lol yeah.

"Hmm *looks up at a sign but somebody mischeafly switched the "man" and "women" bathroom signs. "It's my lucky day..*grabs a silenced weapon and shoots a hole through the wall,heeehee I can hardly wait *peeks in* O_O *turns pale white* *GAG* AAAUUUGH!!!".

I think bullet holes and being able to look through em isnt such a good idea to be honest,for one too many bullets would cause the wall to be too many polies,think of about say a street full of walls that are battle worn and 50+ holes each,wooohoo da lag I say,everything becomes a slide show,secondly you would either have to position you view very carefully or there would have to be an action of "look through hole" but to be honest I can't really see that as useful,would take more coding and time than its worth.

Hmm, not sure.

If they model shadows, then modelling light penetration through small holes wouldn't be difficult.

Let's say you blast a long line of holes in a wall. Someone runs across the other side, you see the darkening of the holes as he passes by, would be quite cool to shoot through. Not that I really care because everytime I come across an urban area in G2 I am just going to blast it to rubble, then send in B Coy and C Coy instead.

I, for one, can definitely live without ragdolls. Maybe it's just me, but I've always prefered well-done death animations over ragdoll deaths. The problem with straight ragdoll deaths is that they pretty much simulate what might happen in a brain-pan shot, or one that severs the spinal column from the neck down.

If ragdoll is to be implemented properly, I'd like to see a system that combines death animations (whether by-hand or mocapped) with ragdolls. FEAR is one of the first games I've seen to use a form of this, though I've been espousing this system for years.

The other thing to consider if implementing ragdolls is the overall feel. Nothing annoys me (and destroys my suspension of disbelief) more than ragdolls that aren't tweaked properly, from poor jointing (Rogue Spear comes to mind) to exaggerated kinetic effects (Half Life 2 - a .357 round is not going to launch a person 6 feet in the air and throw him 15 feet back). FEAR, once again, comes to mind with regards to pretty well-done ragdolls.

@D.murphy man

Quote[/b] ]

Honestly I hope to get the walkable in vehicles,yaknow,trucks,planes,heli's,etc,this may sound useless but think about it,we'd be much less venerable comming out,could look around be we jump out,could load up vehicles in more heli's/planes and they'd be much safer,we could have more realistic airborne jumps (woo!

I belive thats going to be implemented into Armed Assualt and it is Already in VBS1 so no doubt itll be in 'Game 2'

This feature is not quite yet fully implimented into VBS1. It might be currently in use in some fashion but has not been fully implimented yet.

@SgtH3nry3

Quote[/b] ]

it would be a dream come true for every OFP fan to blow up every wall, house, object in to pieces. oooh yeahhh... ahhh.ahahhh....*homer*

VBS1 has this feature... So does Soldner but Soldner sux.

These features are still under development. Where exactly they are on them I do not know. Could still be in an Alpha Stage or even Beta but the modules that you two are referencing have not, if they are even going to be, released to the general VBS1 community as of yet.

Stout Hearts

|RE|Warhawk

I, for one, can definitely live without ragdolls. Maybe it's just me, but I've always prefered well-done death animations over ragdoll deaths. The problem with straight ragdoll deaths is that they pretty much simulate what might happen in a brain-pan shot, or one that severs the spinal column from the neck down.

Amen

realistic death anims (+ ragdoll)