Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

pistol weight would mean you can turn and aim at people faster, quicker response time with a pistol than a rifle probably, which would be better for close quarters.  A rifle would probably turn slower as you aim it maybe.  That's pretty real, so you could probably add that to OFP2.

I agree, though this should be done for weight and length so each rifle should have different max speeds. (ie class types should NOT be hard-coded and should be set individually for each different weapon)

But also, maybe there should not be a huge difference between similar weapons.  Pistol vs machine pistol vs rifle (carbine status should not make a huge difference) vs heavy weapons (ig anti-tank or M60) would be the only significant differences just for sake of over-generalization.

Maybe inertia of the weapon might make firing crazy with a heavy weapon more nuts. Though that feature is less important than other issues.

Then again... is the Stoner of the Vietnam War era technically a heavy-rifle instead of a capital Heavy-weapon?  I'm reading this book called History of the Navy Seals II: The Vietnam Years as this medical-capable Seal seemed to like the weapon because he wasn't exactly a markman.  wink_o.gif

I dont want cars to fly  when tanks hits it. i want to be able to drive over the car   biggrin_o.gif     biggrin_o.gif

My opinion as well smile_o.gif

Ok i didn't know where to put this so i'm putting it here.

I thought about sounds earlier and i don't recall any game having this feature - when moving then not hearing ONLY footsteps, but also your fabric rubbing against fabric. Or maybe when you aim your gun or TURN, you can atleast hear yourself move. That'd be new.

when moving then not hearing ONLY footsteps, but also your fabric rubbing against fabric.

the sound people produce varies with every addon, try ORC's troops, they make one hell of a noise smile_o.gif

about the ammo, i "have heard" they are working on a 6.XX calibre... but i don't know anything about that yet.

being able to drive over cars and have the cars crample realisticly will eat recources me thinks... but it IS possible! (i've seen an engine demo doing it) smile_o.gif

Oo..where did you get that engine demo? biggrin_o.gif

But something I have been thinking about recently...

I have no idea whether this is even possible. It is a possibility it has been done before, though. What would be cool is dynamic polygon deformability. Instead of having set ways wings fall off or certain debris and parts falling off during an explosion, why not have it dynamic? Would it be possible to make it so the physics engine counts the amount of pressure on a certain polygon/vertice, and if damage is great enough it breaks off or bends? this would make for some really cool crashes.

Actually, now that I think of it several games do this with the way debris comes off with explosions, but I have yet to hear about this happening with maybe a car crash or wings coming off aircraft.

Yeah, it sounds confusing, but picture it as "crash and debris ragdoll." For example: If I headon into a tree with my jeep at a fast speed, the polygons will get bent on the front of the jeep depending on how hard I hit it. Or if I maybe hit the tail of a blackhawk with an rpg, if the force is great enough the physics could calculate the polygons breaking off completely, thus the tail of the blackhawk comes off.

Ahh one can dream biggrin_o.gif Even if this was possible it would probably be way too processor heavy for the game to calculate.

That's a really good idea, i've thought of it myself, but i just now thought of HOW do do it. It'd be wery resource consuming, so it'd be faster if the calculations would be divided between frames: if a collision is checked then the crash is calculated a few frames after (and maybe before) the collision, so u don't have to calculate all the vertices in ONE frame. But i think it'd be easier to just make about 20 different scripted crashes :P

Unless you are having a destruction derby then the computer should only be calculating one or two vehicle crashes at a time so it should still be fine.

Would it be possible to make it so the physics engine counts the amount of pressure on a certain polygon/vertice, and if damage is great enough it breaks off or bends? this would make for some really cool crashes.

possible.

http://www.meqon.com/downloadarea/meqon-demos-1.4.zip smile_o.gif

theck the rigid body > scaffold demo, bones (jeep) twist as pressure (tank) increases , and might break off if the force becomes too great (plane)

yay! smile_o.gif

Isn't that system in IL-2 Strumnovic? Wings tear off if they become damaged or you could shoot the tips off and such, or collide with another aircraft and slice it in 2 with your wings!

@that cool demo

EXACTLY!!! except not as elastic, but I am sure that could be modified by changing some values in the config of that physics engine biggrin_o.gif but that gives the whole idea of what I am thinking of perfectly!

@IL2

Not really the same...you see, IL2 has preset damage. The developers, while making the aircraft, go in and put certain areas where it is possible to for the wing to break off. However, what I am saying is have it so the physics engine calculates at which polygons it breaks off.

Ahh..if you imagine that scafold like the side of a tank, it makes dynamic non-decal bullet holes, and if you hit it enough it causes it to split and crumble realistically smile_o.gif

That'd be cool if when a tank round hit a truck it'd flip onto its side or if a grenade hit a tire the whole tire would fall off.

When I played Counter Strike Source or Half Life 2 in the last days, I reconized, that you're able to hit the weapons of the enemy and that they fly out of their hands. That would be really cool. smile_o.gif

duh HL2 crazy_o.gif seen that already in SOF like ages ago biggrin_o.gif

also HD2 has this feature and the soldiers surrender if they loose their weapon. in OFP2 it would be nice if the soldiers surrendered when they are too far away from their squad and there ain't anyone else near 'cept enemies. otherwise they would grab another weapon (if their own piece is broken or jammed by the bullet that hit it). of course they would surrender if they were injured badly and unable to fight.

Since I think this forum usually gets a fair share of spam topics that could easily find it's way into other pre-existing threads. I wanted to bring up an issue the kind of bothered me with the original OFP. That issue being the simulation of lower gears on vehicles to climb steep inclines.

I'd really like the ability to either shift down to a low gear or have the game do it automatically for me when going up an incline, because it's really stupid watching a hmmwv or jeep or any all terrain vehicle practically grind to a halt like you're trying to climb a hill in a high gear.

Additionally, the issue of being able to make tanks fly down a hill a mach 10 if you give them a straight unobstructed path. Sure it was fun, however it was just ridiculous while playing to see someone in a bradley soundly outrunning a motorcycle down the hill at montignac.

Before we start adding other things, I'd like to see existing issues fixed, or improved.

When I played Counter Strike Source or Half Life 2 in the last days, I reconized, that you're able to hit the weapons of the enemy and that they fly out of their hands. That would be really cool. smile_o.gif

Just imagine the HL2 physics in ofp.

With the awesome interference on the environment.

I mean, I`m not an expert, I have played HL2 that`s all.

I expect physics improvements and more importantly colision detection and clipping probs fixed but all this Havok2's and real time lighting and other stuff talk seems pointless.

These are huge performance limiting features, dont think they would result very well in a OPF environment with 50+ infantry units, armor and air support operating simultaniously.

Sometimes people forget how much of a hog OPF already is and also the size and all stuff going on at the same time, now throwing everyones expectations and wishes into the same pot seems to sum a impossible achievement with todays pc technology. I think alot of people are generating false expectations here and many will be disapointed, and no one expected HL2 to render 25km2 with 2 km view distance environments either biggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]I expect physics improvements and more importantly colision detection and clipping probs fixed but all this Havok2's and real time lighting and other stuff talk seems pointless.

These are huge performance limiting features, dont think they would result very well in a OPF environment with 50+ infantry units, armor and air support operating simultaniously.

I agree totally. Fixing existing OFP problems/inconsistencies is what should be done before one even approaches trying to improve upon already properly working, albeit not fancy features.

Quote[/b] ]I expect physics improvements and more importantly colision detection and clipping probs fixed but all this Havok2's and real time lighting and other stuff talk seems pointless.

I agree totally. Fixing existing OFP problems/inconsistencies is what should be done before one even approaches trying to improve upon already properly working, albeit not fancy features.

I concur 100%

Doing stuff in crouched stance without the avatar standing up

Walking (Aiming and moving), running and sprinting, ofcourse none as fast as in standing mode. And ofcourse placing and taking objects and throwing grenades in while being in crouched stance.

Being able to fire AT weapons while in prone stance.

And "universal" magazines, like M16 and M4 can use the same magazine. And if an addon is created it should just be able to load the standard "BIS" 5.56mm (M16) magazine without changing the "values" of the weapon.

In short... in the config, just make the weapon have it's values and just define what magazines it accepts.

Doing stuff in crouched stance without the avatar standing up

Walking (Aiming and moving), running and sprinting, ofcourse none as fast as in standing mode. And ofcourse placing and taking objects and throwing grenades in while being in crouched stance.

Being able to fire AT weapons while in prone stance.

And "universal" magazines, like M16 and M4 can use the same magazine. And if an addon is created it should just be able to load the standard "BIS" 5.56mm (M16) magazine without changing the "values" of the weapon.

In short... in the config, just make the weapon have it's values and just define what magazines it accepts.

"Being able to fire AT weapons while in prone stance."

- if possible, I'd imagine. Recoilless weapons cannot be fired when prone or with something behind them without incinerating the operator.

I don't think this posted before (hope not)

I have an idea about how to make fast camo with "gravity" in the game (or Oxygen)

Lets say the it is a option on Oxygen that can lay a special layer over a object, and that the layer is like a carpet over the object.

Not quite sure how to explane it, but I'll try to find out how to explane it with maybe some pics.