Sign in to follow this  
N.o.R.S.u

Half-life 2 is out (and CS:Source)

Come on, we all know that in a few weeks latest from now gamers will have found a solution to crack this game. And me, the person, who loves to buy the original copy in a shop and spend 45 EURO doesnt want to be punished.

We have been told that the increased prices of games are due to the high amount of piracy. I am fine with that. But being a logical thinker I would assume that a piracy-safe game would therefore be a lot cheaper. Nonesense.

Day by day software products are getting more restrictive. Reminds me of the patriot act. If we continue with this speed then in a few years we will be paying games by minutes played and enemies killed or bullets fired. I am exaggerating? Well there was a time there were no CD-keys nor silly problems with piracy-prevention software. What is next?

The obligation to register a game with your entire details?

Bought it yesterday and eagerly installed waiting to play...

1 hour later... Still can't login to Steam client to play a single player game..

Finally logged in, then takes ages unlocking all the files...

Never expected this much hassle to be honest, but the game is well worth it biggrin_o.gif

Come on, we all know that in a few weeks latest from now gamers will have found a solution to crack this game. And me, the person, who loves to buy the original copy in a shop and spend 45 EURO doesnt want to be punished.

We have been told that the increased prices of games are due to the high amount of piracy. I am fine with that. But being a logical thinker I would assume that a piracy-safe game would therefore be a lot cheaper. Nonesense.

Day by day software products are getting more restrictive. Reminds me of the patriot act. If we continue with this speed then in a few years we will be paying games by minutes played and enemies killed or bullets fired. I am exaggerating? Well there was a time there were no CD-keys nor silly problems with piracy-prevention software. What is next?

I got mine for 36 € or around 299 NOK smile_o.gif

It's easier to raise the price then to lower the price.

Well the reason that steam prices are either higher or the same has Retails is because valve is contractually abliged to VUI to set the prices as they are so don't complain about it. We will see if Steam makes Games cheaper, i hope so.

In the current climate of buying retail $7 goes to the developer, in steam it's more like $30, which is always a good thing.

It's asking you to register your CD key ONCE during instillation, the unlocking part has nothing to do with the Internet, so what is so intrusive? it does not ask for personal details only that you register your CD key to your Steam account i really don't see what the big fuss is all about, once you have registered your CD key you can just go in to offline mode and play all you wan't without steam connecting to the net.

Quote[/b] ]i don't like it. steam is the greatest shit in the world...

Best content delivery system there is, why wait for months to get a map fix or a big fix when it can be streamed to you when they fix it.

Quote[/b] ]It's asking you to register your CD key ONCE during instillation, the unlocking part has nothing to do with the Internet, so what is so intrusive?

What? You need to register online, FULL STOP!

And also, several people told me today that they basically have problems to register. Game-Forums are basically jammed today with concerns and error-messages. I tell you the community is angry and my post didnt only correspond to my personal attitude but to real FEEDBACK.

Maybe you were lucky. Some of my friends had to remain 2 hours online and still nothing worked. And you ask me what is all the "fuzz" about?

They are taking it too far. The only people laughing are those that regularily pirate games.

We all know this steam is not about anticheat, its about getting control over the user even after he has bought the game. Why anticheats for a SINGLEPLAYER GAME?

Ever read the steam eula? They can change the eula as they like, they don't even have to tell you about it. The only thing you can do is quit steam and lose the possibility of playing all the games you bought.

If i buy a game in germany all eulas are void, as per law this is a contract between me and the store i buy it in and not between me and the publisher/coder. If i order a game on steam this is not the case anymore and most of the eula are valid. This is where they want to go. You wanna play HL3? Ok, but it 1€ costs per hour... You don't like that. Then sign out off steam. Patches for CS3? Sure, but they cost extra. You don't want to pay? Well, bye bye multiplayer, only the latest version can play.

Its just DRM for games.

Quote[/b] ]Best content delivery system there is, why wait for months to get a map fix or a big fix when it can be streamed to you when they fix it.

i can't be online all time while playing HLË›

i thought i just have to connect to steam when starting the game, but i have to stay online the wole time, thats really crap

Well, it took me 2 hours to download the game and after a couple of initial problems with my firewall that i worked out it runs like a finely tuned automobile. I didnt play it much last night because it was late when i finally sorted it out but from what i did see it was very impressive indeed.

I am going to thoroughly enjoy playing this game, EULA be damned. Cheaters are just bad gamers anyway otherwise they wouldnt need a cheat.

In this promo video with the striker it looks like buildings are destroyable. Is this really true or is it scripted?

In this promo video with the striker it looks like buildings are destroyable. Is this really true or is it scripted?

Scripted. Only weak things like boxes, chairs, glass etc. (not even doors) are destroyable.

edit: Actually I forgot that a row of pillars in two places was collapsed by strider fire.

Anyway, I finished it. Pretty fun, worth buying.

Scripted. Only weak things like boxes, chairs, glass etc. (not even doors) are destroyable.

... *checks watch*

around 36 hours after the steam unlock? rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

... *checks watch*

around 36 hours after the steam unlock?  rock.gif  crazy_o.gif

OMG someone needs a girlfriend.......quick tounge_o.gif

So nothing really new since farcry?! To enjoy the nice graphics I need a computer upgrade annyway...

I finished the game! Although I had a feeling I was in Matrix after getting in the big tower, which was fun,

the end was horrible.

So many questions unanswerd sad_o.gif

I wish that they had come up with a better end, it's too short and easy (Some will disagree on that)

One thing is good, which will keep the story moving on,

is that you don't know a single thing more about G-man.

Better luck next time (Lets hope that at least wink_o.gif )

I finished the game! Although I had a feeling I was in Matrix after getting in the big tower, which was fun,

the end was horrible.

I wish that they had come up with a better end, it's too short and easy (Some will disagree on that)

I'm sure there will be a few expansion packs to come.

the end was horrible.

I'm sure there will be a few expansion packs to come.

Yeah there is, atleast one expansion will come out for HL2 and then theres HL3 in the far off future

Steam blows, but should we all stop playing PC games as they need, in the majority of cases, windows to play on, as that sucks even more.

I'm going to post here once.

I have not been waiting for Half Life 2 as much as some other really true Half Life fans. For one reason, the original, and Coutner-Strike was buggy as hell on my computer, even after downloading the updates. My computer would frequently lock up.

The most fun I had with the original is Worldcraft. Now that there is a Hammer program out, hopefully it will be more easy to get my maps ingame, because using Worldcraft could sometimes really be annoying and buggy.

For some reason, anything Half Life is really crappy on my computer. And I have a Sony VAIO PC, so it should run fine, but it does'nt.

This wont stop me from getting HL2 however, for one reason, and one reason only.

The mods....the mods....the mods...

the tools the tools the tools

the fun the fun the fun.

I never had so much fun using Worldcraft in my life. I loved being in conrol of my own enviorments, and creating some really awsome stuff.

And now that HL2 is out, I'm going to have fun all over again.

I really dont give a crap about the story, the gameplay, the level design, the graphics, the plot, the enemie design, ETC. The most important thing for HL2 will be the mod community. And this is what Half Life 2 was made for...in my opinion.

I fucking hate steam. I just can't play any HL games online anymore. It bothers me too much that I have to have another program running on top of HL since I habitually kill almost every memory resident program that isn't essential before I start a game.

Furthermore this hit's the nail on the head as far as my concern of Steam and this whole download and online registration bullshit. I mentioned in the OFP 2 forum. I still maintain, I would not buy a product if I had to run a program like steam and or authenticate via the internet. Not even OFP2.

Quote[/b] ]If i buy a game in germany all eulas are void, as per law this is a contract between me and the store i buy it in and not between me and the publisher/coder. If i order a game on steam this is not the case anymore and most of the eula are valid. This is where they want to go. You wanna play HL3? Ok, but it 1€ costs per hour... You don't like that. Then sign out off steam. Patches for CS3? Sure, but they cost extra. You don't want to pay? Well, bye bye multiplayer, only the latest version can play.

I see this is where it's it's going. I really loathe the concept of having to download a game what with how often I reformat my PC. What if you have to keep downloading the game or renewing a licence to download it every time you lose it? What if you can't burn it to a CD so you actually have a tangible copy of the game?

Fuck that shit. I buy my games from a store. I don't know if that's how it works in Canada what with EULA's being void if you buy from a vendor but I think it's a good idea. Either way. I won't have anything to do with Halflife 2 if that's the case.

Quote[/b] ]you don't have to drag your computer around just take a cd and copy that file, i know it's annoying for those without internet on there gaming rig but o well.

Oh well. Oh fucking nothing! It's a serious problem. Not everyone is going to have internet access whereever they go. It's horse shit. It's bad enough microsoft is pulling that crap. I think this is going to create two estates of gamers, one of which might be left by the wayside. This will separate the hardcore nerds from the people who don't care enough about a game to go through all the crap just to play it. Personally. I can do without.

Or ones that will switch to warez because they cant play the legal versions. crazy_o.gif

I see this is where it's it's going. I really loathe the concept of having to download a game what with how often I reformat my PC. What if you have to keep downloading the game or renewing a licence to download it every time you lose it? What if you can't burn it to a CD so you actually have a tangible copy of the game?

psst steam has an inbuilt feature to creat back up's for your games, it compresses them into exe's in either CD size or DVD size formats.

ps Half-Life 2 is probally the best gaming experience ever (not finished yet)

I bought it, i played it.

I can say that Half-life 2 doesn´t differ from other games that much, the same old FPS. Shoot everything that moves kind of thing.

But, the graphics are great (as in Doom3 also)

and the facial motions are very nice and makes the characters personal like.

It´s a game as any other, i can´t see it as an messiah for the gaming industry. But i like to play it anyway, just for fun. wink_o.gif