Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Afghanistan map out!

Cool.  That sounds good.  Yeah not really an issue since the U.S. uses most of the old Russian airbases there anyways.  

So far I'm REALLY enjoying this map.  At sunset the map just looks breathtaking.  

Right now I'm fixing up the mission I mentioned earlier into something a lot slicker where you are part of a SF team with Barrett .50 cal rifles who with some Northern Alliance soldiers link up with 2 platoons of Army Rangers at their drop zone as they parachute from C130's.   Once they make it to the camp, you get 'em all into the Northern Alliance trucks and convoy just outside of the main city in the South (I just call it Kabul.  LOL!wink.gif where there is a small staging ground where you disembark and launch the assault from.  The street battles are just superb.  I stuck the BAS "high dispersal" AK's on the Taliban soldiers so we didn't take such heavy casualties.  But even the the mission is very difficult and with the HD Ak's the Taliban fires on full automatic which is super scary when you have someone unloading a clip in your direction with bullets landing all around you.  I'm working on making it a prisoner rescue mission where you rescue captured pilots and get them out to a helicopter that you call in.  Of coarse that triggers reinforcements and all hell breaks loose as you have to defend the LZ.     This map is SOOO addictive.   Keep up the great work and I can't wait until you guys stick the airbase on the map.  Just please make sure that AI piloted aircraft can actually land and takeoff from it.  smile.gif  

I've seen alot of new maps where the airbases are just decoration and unusable by the AI pilots.  sad.gif

Oh... another idea is to have  a Muslim "call to prayer" in your sound effects... but one that is only triggered once and that doesn't repeat.  I have an excellent sound sample of the call to prayer that I can send you. It's the same one that I used in my Operation Condor mission. If you haven't played it, it's actually a Russian Spetsnaz mission where you fight Islamic extremists in Nogova. Hopefully when your mod is complete I can convert that mission to use with your mod.  

If you want the call to prayer sample, PM me with your email addy and I'll send it your way.  

Alright I'm heading back into the desert now.    smile.gif  

Allah Akbar!!!      

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 05 May 2003,05:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Right now I'm fixing up the mission I mentioned earlier into something a lot slicker<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

man.... today I installed the island, and is just amazing....

Nagual I love ur missions..... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh... another idea is to have a Muslim "call to prayer" in your sound effects.<span id='postcolor'>

Believe me i had this idea and ran it through CAT but he refused it since it would only increase the file size and we cant have it echo once only i think , so its better off if you include it in your mission yourself..

The airfield might be or might not be in this island , but a big heli base is for sure ... wink.gif

Please visit our forums and post suggestions and comments.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acecombat @ 06 May 2003,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh... another idea is to have  a Muslim "call to prayer" in your sound effects.<span id='postcolor'>

Believe me i had this idea and ran it through CAT but he refused it since it would only increase the file size and we cant have it echo once only i think<span id='postcolor'>

You mean 5 times a day. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 04 May 2003,16:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 04 May 2003,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe some fine tuning, if possible, is needed on the LB landing? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ran it another two times and landings were OK.

This is where OFP really needs CQB team commands and formations like in SWAT3 or similar.

..<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, the LB has troubles sometimes, i tried all sorts of insertion paths and that generally worked the best. Will see if theres anything to make it smoother when i get back to that pack.

The cqb commands would be cool, like selecting a soldier and using the command cursor box to select a corner, and something like press shift for "cover right", and alt for "cover left". Maybe ofp2.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nagual @ 06 May 2003,10:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The cqb commands would be cool, like selecting a soldier and using the command cursor box to select a corner, and something like press shift for "cover right", and alt for "cover left". Maybe ofp2.<span id='postcolor'>

Keep in mind that in something like SWAT3, doors, corners and openings on objects have to be recognized by the AI in some fashion.

If that could be done in OFP, it would mean that all building objects would need have some sensitivity points, such as windows, doors and corners.

This would be very interesting, as some sort of command could be given to move up to the next left/right corner/doorway and wait/check, etc.

Getting complicated, ins't it? confused.gifsmile.gif

Actually avon, that could be done with current ofp, like how you can tell AI to move to "house position #2". The house positions would just have to be places like outer corners, windows ect. Would be great to see the nice AI deltas properly stack up before an assault wink.gif

Im not sure if the names can be changed though, as it would be easier selecting "corner 1" and "window1" than generic house pos #.

Some invisble roadways / paths between buildings and alleys would maybe help cqb too, as the AI tend to freeze up in dense areas.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ 06 May 2003,13:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are there any up to date links of this Afghanistan island?<span id='postcolor'>

Go to last week's review page of Nagual's Southern Afghanistan Mission Pack on the MOM section at The FAQ. Towards the bottom, the island download link is listed along with the pack's other required addons.

This is the latest Update 2 edition of the island. Another update is anticipated shortly, according to prior Project Nomad team notices.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 06 May 2003,13:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ 06 May 2003,13:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are there any up to date links of this Afghanistan island?<span id='postcolor'>

Go to last week's review page of Nagual's Southern Afghanistan Mission Pack on the MOM section at The FAQ. Towards the bottom, the island download link is listed along with the pack's other required addons.

This is the latest Update 2 edition of the island. Another update is anticipated shortly, according to prior Project Nomad team notices.<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you very much. smile.gif

I was listening to the sound files. Did you get them from Ghost Recon? The first one sounds exactly like it. confused.gif

are poeple still bothering with wrpedit beta release or is there a new one?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acecombat @ 05 May 2003,23:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh... another idea is to have  a Muslim "call to prayer" in your sound effects.<span id='postcolor'>

Believe me i had this idea and ran it through CAT but he refused it since it would only increase the file size and we cant have it echo once only i think , so its better off if you include it in your mission yourself..

The airfield might be or might not be in this island , but a big heli base is for sure ... wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The sound file for just part of the Muslim call to prayer would not be that big. The one on my Operation Condor mission was very small. Also I don't see why it couldn't be a different sound class that doesn't repeat. Or is that not possible? If you can't however it's ok. I'll just add in the sounds in the mission.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'm gonna go out on a limb that Nagauls Missions haven't been updated for the latest version of this map? (I just went back through, and read that a town was removed. I d/ld the missions from the most recent link in this thread) I did the arms dealer mission. Was landed in the middle of an open plain, and came under immediate fire from a mob of guys also out in the open. Since there was no city, every one of them was firing on my team. I just flipped the selector to full auto, and began spraying them. Armed, or unarmed, it didn't matter... everyone was a potential threat. In the end, 16 civilians, a dozen baddies, 2 SOAR pilots, and 4 Delta operators lay dead. The battle of the desert field was over. biggrin.gif Is there a newer version out or do I have to revert back to the previous version of this map? Thx for any feedback.

I was afraid of a problem like that.

Thing is, most of the work CAT is doing is on the models and textures. Placing them is important, but the placement changes from update to update. In a single day, a town can dissapear and reappear.

I don't have a lot to say to mission makers other than I appreciate your efforts, we'll try to cut down on major .wrp changes, and please join us if you really like Afghan missions.

No ill feelings here. I recall reading when the map was first released, it would change... I think it is awesome, so am glad that it will "evolve"... as for the changing towns and terrain... maybee make a mission based on the "Dreamland" 2 parter of the X Files (Ripple in time/space, people and rocks fusing together, etc. biggrin.gif )

Where did you download this "latest" map from?

I have no problems with the Arms Dealer mission, based on the map available from The FAQ.

The only map of Naguals that no longer works is the one where you start off riding on motorbikes to attack a village in a narrow gorge.

Hmm.... I don't know if this is a bug, or just a limitation of the game, but does anyone notice that the AI squads have terrible time getting to the center of the main city in the South?? AI squads just seem to get stuck somewhere on the outskirts or in the streets where they just sit there. Also when they're following me often they get stuck in the city or if I give the order "fall into formation" they take off in the opposite direction and go all around town before getting stuck somewhere or finally getting to my position. It makes for difficult mission making when you're trying to either play as part of a AI squad or lead a squad out of the city to a waiting helicopter. sad.gif The extraction chopper usually loses patience and takes off without us before I can get all my men to the chopper. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 09 May 2003,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm.... I don't know if this is a bug, or just a limitation of the game, but does anyone notice that the AI squads have terrible time getting to the center of the main city in the South??  AI squads just seem to get stuck somewhere on the outskirts or in the streets where they just sit there.  Also when they're following me often they get stuck in the city or if I give the order "fall into formation" they take off in the opposite direction and go all around town before getting stuck somewhere or finally getting to my position.   It makes for difficult mission making when you're trying to either play as part of a AI squad or lead a squad out of the city to a waiting helicopter.  sad.gif   The extraction chopper usually loses patience and takes off without us before I can get all my men to the chopper.  sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

That's what happen in Black Hawk Down tounge.gif

Anyway, i think it is engine limitation. I really hope those AI can drive inside the town without keeping hit the wall crazy.gif

Got the missions from this link in this thread:

http://concept-5.com/nagaul/SthAfghan Missions.zip

From pg 12 of this thread. Ill d/l the ones linked from your FAQ site, and see if those work. (Chances are, I DO have a working version with my d/l'd missions, but installed an older one... Woudln't be the first time I didn't remove older files as I got newer versions. biggrin.gif

Oh, and this is all with the latest version of the Afghan map. (from OFP CZ site, and also linked from this thread. (checked the dates, and size, etc)

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can go get my backside kicked in in the city now! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 08 May 2003,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm.... I don't know if this is a bug, or just a limitation of the game, but does anyone notice that the AI squads have terrible time getting to the center of the main city in the South??<span id='postcolor'>

AI limitations of negotiating their way back to formation between so many objects.

I think it sometimes helps to change the formation to COLUMN or STAGGERED COLUMN but not much.

Maybe somebody asked this before, but where are the legendary caves?

I've the latest version and can't find them. Did they disapper like the town in one of the posts before? sad.gif

Please somebody give me map coords.....

my ofp seems to crash everytime im making a mission on the afghan map

any suggestions on avoiding this???