Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

Just have seen the report of the POWs. Scary stuff.

Interesting also the woman that said, she is from 507 Maintenance or something alike. I doubt, that maintenance is meant to be on the front so they might have caught them behind the frontline. Maybe a problem of the fast race north that left some flanks uncovered...

These Pows are they from support units? If so it shows that the push towards Baghdad at such speed as left the tail end vunerable to attack from small pockets of Iraqi troops....

Ten dead American soldiers in an Iraqi attack on an armoured column. - BBC

I really really hope they don't treat the woman prisoner as badly as I think we all expect they will treat her.

Denoir how about editing Warin's post to add a list of URL's to the various news sites and live feeds that have been collected over the duration of this thread's life?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 23 2003,17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I really really hope they don't treat the woman prisoner as badly as I think we all expect they will treat her.<span id='postcolor'>

Probably not, as they will further exploit them for some propaganda.

But nobody knows, what happens to those, that will be caught in the future sad.gif

Denoir, where did you get the "Ten dead American soldiers in an Iraqi attack on an armoured column" story from? I can't see any of that on bbc.co.uk/news and I've searched extensively. Did you hear that on the World Service (radio)?

If you could post a direct URL to the story, that'd be great.

BTW, do the Iraqi's have any weapons that could dent an M1A1/A2 - is the tank vulnerable to top-attack? Pardon my ignorance, but apart from mines what do the Iraqis have that could threaten such tanks? Again, certain elements of the UK media make out the Abrams to be practically indestructible.

Regards,

Tracy

Several of the soldiers were definately executed on the video being run by Al-Jezeera.

As for rape, then POWs from the last Gulf War can attest to the fact that the men have more to fear then the women.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (tracy_t @ Mar. 23 2003,18:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denoir, where did you get the "Ten dead American soldiers in an Iraqi attack on an armoured column" story from?<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.reuters.com/newsArt....2431611

I've added a new thread where you can post your favourite news sources. It will later be compiled in a list and added to the first post in this thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Several of the soldiers were definately executed on the video being run by Al-Jezeera<span id='postcolor'>

What makes you think that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've added a new thread where you can post your favourite news sources. It will later be compiled in a list and added to the first post in this thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Several of the soldiers were definately executed on the video being run by Al-Jezeera<span id='postcolor'>

What makes you think that?<span id='postcolor'>

Just watched those news from BBC and they said that some of those dead US soldiers were executed. However they didn't emphasize that fact, just quickly mentioned it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,08:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've added a new thread where you can post your favourite news sources. It will later be compiled in a list and added to the first post in this thread.

What makes you think that?<span id='postcolor'>

The fact that they were shot in the head.

Sky News was just showing US Marines attacking a few Iraqi squads..

When they blew a building apart (With a Javelin), everyone started Hoo-ah'ing, and cheering!? Isn't that a little unprofessional? (No offense! )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it against the Geneva convention to show POW's on TV? <span id='postcolor'>

Yes, as it infringes on their diginity...

Howver, we have been doing in for days (Western Forces), so we can't complain. (People will though)

"When they blew a building apart (With a Javelin), everyone started Hoo-ah'ing, and cheering!? Isn't that a little unprofessional? (No offense! )"

Unproffesional? Come on, man. We are talking about people with their life on the line, high on adrenaline and with only one thought in their mind: Survival. Their survival depends on fighting the enemy, and defeating them. I think we can let them Hoo-ah a bit when their support forces actually get something right.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Mar. 23 2003,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sky News was just showing US Marines attacking a few Iraqi squads..

When they blew a building apart (With a Javelin), everyone started Hoo-ah'ing, and cheering!? Isn't that a little unprofessional? (No offense! )<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I`ve seen this footage too. Pretty stupid behaviour! When I got my military training I was taught even to cover my feets and don`t give the enemy too much from my body to shoot at. But those guys are happily showing their whole torsos and even walking around??? Either they are nuts or this video is just a show.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 23 2003,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The fact that they were shot in the head.<span id='postcolor'>

Really? I havn't seen the whole segment, my connection to the Al-Jazeera feed went down, but the close-ups that I saw showed wounds in the upper torso, stomach and legs.

If it's true that they were executed then the Iraqis are fucking stupid. It's only going to strengthen the support for war if people see the Iraqi soldiers as monsters.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Unproffesional? Come on, man. We are talking about people with their life on the line, high on adrenaline and with only one thought in their mind: Survival. Their survival depends on fighting the enemy, and defeating them. I think we can let them Hoo-ah a bit when their support forces actually get something right.<span id='postcolor'>

Prob'ly just a different ethos rearding conduct. We try to keep it to a minimum until the jobs done.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Mar. 23 2003,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sky News was just showing US Marines attacking a few Iraqi squads..

When they blew a building apart (With a Javelin), everyone started Hoo-ah'ing, and cheering!? Isn't that a little unprofessional? (No offense! )<span id='postcolor'>

lol i think they were complimenting their buddy on his accurate

shooting, which to be fair was pretty good at that distance tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 23 2003,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"When they blew a building apart (With a Javelin), everyone started Hoo-ah'ing, and cheering!? Isn't that a little unprofessional? (No offense! )"

Unproffesional? Come on, man. We are talking about people with their life on the line, high on adrenaline and with only one thought in their mind: Survival. Their survival depends on fighting the enemy, and defeating them. I think we can let them Hoo-ah a bit when their support forces actually get something right.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. It's a natural reaction. I would not in any case hold it against them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it against the Geneva convention to show POW's on TV? <span id='postcolor'>

Not really. Well, it's a matter of interpretation. The Geneva conventions forbid the humiliation of enemy soldiers. However since we have been shown plenty of pictures and some interviews of Iraqi POWs, this is a non-issue and Rumsfeld is just being incredibly stupid for bringing it up.

It looks like the GR4 crew was killed.....

I hope there is a proper investigation into this, and not the farce that was the investigation into the A10/Warrior incident in '91.