Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

Although I don't speak Arabic, I must say that I'm very impressed with Aj-Jazeera. They are showing both US military/political statements as well as Iraqi. Plus they seem to have resources on the ground that other news agencies lack. They are for instacne the only ones that have been reporting from the ground in Basra.

I only wish I could understand what they are saying..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 23 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">George, don't you have a war to get back to?<span id='postcolor'>

That's not what George Foreman is fighting for! mad.gif

steakpage.jpg

Back to the war, it's ugly. There are going to be loses and sacrifices.

Don't think the Iraqis are having a swell time. The road to Baghdad is littered with good intentions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Although I don't speak Arabic, I must say that I'm very impressed with Aj-Jazeera. They are showing both US military/political statements as well as Iraqi. Plus they seem to have resources on the ground that other news agencies lack. They are for instacne the only ones that have been reporting from the ground in Basra.

I only wish I could understand what they are saying..<span id='postcolor'>

duh...they are the respected news agency in ME... wink.gif

News:

US government opening $600 million worth of contract bids for Iraq rehab contracts. Bids will be open to US companies only.

Will this turn out to be big news or a dud? Fresh from the Jerusalem Post:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mar. 23, 2003

US TROOPS CAPTURE CHEMICAL PLANT

By CAROLINE GLICK

An Najaf, Iraq

About 30 Iraqi troops, including a general, surrendered today to US forces of the 3rd Infantry Division as they overtook huge installation apparently used to produce chemical weapons in An Najaf, some 250 kilometers south of Baghdad.

One soldier was lightly wounded when a booby-trapped explosive went off as he was clearing the sheet metal-lined facility, which resembles the eery images of scientific facilities in World War II concentration camps.

The huge 100-acre complex, which is surrounded by a electrical fence, is perhaps the first illegal chemical plant to be uncovered by US troops in their current mission in Iraq. The surrounding barracks resemble an abandoned slum.

It wasn't immediately clear exactly which chemicals were being produced here, but clearly the Iraqis tried to camouflage the facility so it could not be photographed aerially, by swathing it in sand-cast walls to make it look like the surrounding desert.

Within minutes of our entry into the camp on Sunday afternoon, at least 30 Iraqi soldiers and their commanding officer of the rank of General, obeyed the instructions of US soldiers who called out from our jeep in loudspeakers for them to lie down on the ground, and put their hands above their heads to surrender.

Today's operation is the third engagement with Iraqi forces by the First Brigade of the US army's 3rd Infantry Division, since Saturday afternoon.

So far in the campaign, the brigade has suffered no losses. But two were wounded Saturday night in an ambush on the outskirts of As-Samwah in southern Iraq.<span id='postcolor'>

Go, Caroline, go! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 23 2003,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Atrocity of a war? In the name of staying on topic, don't get me started on atrocities, during war and peacetime. mad.gif

And the Jazeera feed is black. RUnning but black.<span id='postcolor'>

Whatever....

and Al Jazeera is up but overloaded at times.

Stick to reporting the information people and discussing that, do not turn this thread into a playground for squabbles please, if you feel the need to do that then do it away from the forums please.

I think Al Jazeera is pretty good (even if I understand no word ... sad.gif ) , way better then CNN for example. They even showed Rumsfield`s reactions and a short interview. At least they try to show both sides.

Just looking at the main 8PM news here.

The coalition situation is much better than all the setbacks we've highlighted here, which is only natural on our part.

BTW, Rumsfeld knows his stuff. He explicitly stated that humiliating POWs is against the Geneva Convention.

Shhhh.................. Caroline Glick live from the chemical plant on TV. She's 150 km south from Baghdad.

Now they've got another looney Israeli reporter, Ron Ben Yishai, live 400 meters from an Iraqi position outside the northern town of Kalak.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 23 2003,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pictures of 5 American POW's, for those who hadnt seen it.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,280653,00.html<span id='postcolor'>

is that sand they are covered in...it looks way to white to be sand..any ideas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rwryne @ Mar. 23 2003,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 23 2003,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pictures of 5 American POW's, for those who hadnt seen it.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,280653,00.html<span id='postcolor'>

is that sand they are covered in...it looks way to white to be sand..any ideas?<span id='postcolor'>

Salt? confused.gif

I haven't seen this posted yet, but it's new on Reuters:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Home > News > Top News > Article

U.S. Soldier Kills Compatriot in Anti-War Attack

Sun March 23, 2003 12:28 PM ET

By Kieran Murray

KUWAIT (Reuters) - One U.S. soldier was killed and 15 others were wounded on Sunday when a Muslim American serviceman apparently angered by the war against Iraq rolled hand grenades into their tents.

The suspect, a sergeant from an engineering unit, was detained shortly after the early morning attack at a tented command center in Kuwait.

"He's a Muslim, and it seems he was just against the war," said one U.S. military source, who did not wish to be identified.

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,19:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The coalition situation is much better than all the setbacks we've highlighted here, which is only natural on our part.<span id='postcolor'>

It's good that we have an unbiased and knowledgable military expert as you here. God knows what wrong conclusions we could draw from the intelligence we've been recieving all day. crazy.gif

More good news!

I just woke up and had to read through ten pages of posts I missed overnight. Give me some slack! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,20:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's good that we have an unbiased and knowledgable military expert as you here. God knows what wrong conclusions we could draw from the intelligence we've been recieving all day.  crazy.gif

More good news!<span id='postcolor'>

While I appreciate your sarcasm, the fact is that if you take a map of Irage and look to where major coalition sources have already reached in Iraq, they are not doing bad at all.

Anyone who really thought this would be a 24 hour war is bound to remain disappointed.

What I'm seeing is mostly delays by strong resistance in certain areas. When this happens, coalition forces slow down, take a step back, make some assessments about enemy positions and strength and then call in the war machinery needed to clear the path up ahead.

This seems to be repeating itself over and over, IMO.

BTW, according to Reuters, the Red Cross is now saying that displaying the POWs as was doen by Iraq is a GC violation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,13:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, according to Reuters, the Red Cross is now saying that displaying the POWs as was doen by Iraq is a GC violation.<span id='postcolor'>

But wasn't the west also showing POW's? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While I appreciate your sarcasm, the fact is that if you take a map of Irage and look to where major coalition sources have already reached in Iraq, they are not doing bad at all.<span id='postcolor'>

Moving through the desert is no big feat. They have failed to secure the cities on the way. These captures of the US servicemen was just the first taste of what is to come if they do not secure the territory that they are capturing.

They are right now basing their whole strategy on one assumption: that the Iraqis hate Saddam and as soon as they get a chance that they will stop fighting. Rumsfeld confirmed today that so far the battles faught have been with regular troops only - no Republican Guard.

They might very well get to Baghdad soon, but what then? The Iraqis are not surrendering as expected and they are not greeting the coalition forces as liberators but as enemies. Big heap of problems there. So, you have a hostile surrounding and you are not securing the ground you pass. The result: you'll get attacked from the sides and from the rear. The logistics units are weak targets and the Iraqi will be able to show bodies of dead Americans each day. How long do you think the American public will stomach that?

Now, this is how it looks today. I'm not saying that its not going to change tomorrow, but today there is certainly no reason for cheering if you support the coalition forces.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Mar. 23 2003,19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,13:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, according to Reuters, the Red Cross is now saying that displaying the POWs as was doen by Iraq is a GC violation.<span id='postcolor'>

But wasn't the west also showing POW's?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

but not in a humiliating manner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But wasn't the west also showing POW's? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

we werent humiliating or interrogating them on TV.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Mar. 23 2003,20:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,13:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, according to Reuters, the Red Cross is now saying that displaying the POWs as was doen by Iraq is a GC violation.<span id='postcolor'>

But wasn't the west also showing POW's?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't see any interviews of POWs by US or UK forces. I saw pictures of Iraqis surrendering in general. And these pics are all from the press, outdoors when it's actually happening.

heh ? just leave the iraqis taste their temporary victory ....

and about the "west" , were the iraqi men shown on pictures considred as POW's ? i thought the coallition command said that the men would be free to go home ? so technically , they wouldn't be considered as POW's , would they ?