Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

I think this is the cost of "surgical urban warfare" a phrase which I intend to trademark. Anyway, a few dumb fuckers can hold back a few units who have to deal with them for a few hours or even days. The US/UK assault seems to be very patchy; almost like a game of leapfrog. Some units are ready to roll on to Baghdad, others are mopping up, it's really pretty crazy. I doubt even Bush or Franks have total information awareness *also a copyrighted phrase, but not mine* The Americans don't really want to kill a whole lot of them.

Anyway, how the f--k does a US missle kill a UK plane!?!?!? THERE IS NO F--KING IRAQI AF FER CHRISSAKE! YOU KILLED IT 12 YEARS AGO! Wanna bet (a) the pilot is doped up on air force speed pills; or (b) It WAS an Iraqi SAM.

I don't trust anyone.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 23 2003,08:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, recap

CH-46 down: 16 casualties(?) or was it 12?

Marines attacking Basra: 1

stepping on mines: 2

ambushed hummer: 4

another crash 8 miles before Kuwait-Iraq border: 7

sum them up: 26-30 already.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, those are KIAs. I know that 3ID took some casualties during their drive on days 1 and 2, but had no KIAs, and therefore no media coverage. I'm sure there've been plenty of Marines who have been shot in the fighting around Basra, but I think the KIA figures are still reasonably accurate, even if the WIA figures are not.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ Mar. 23 2003,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't trust anyone.<span id='postcolor'>

According to Sky News, it was British Defense spokesperson who announced the loss of a plane by Patriot.

4 US Ch-46

1 marine

2 mines

0 in the HMMVW's, they were only injured

1 pyscho-terrorist-101st

1 US Navy in the Sea Knight

not equal to 30...specially in one town.

Oh well I won't get drafted for two or three more years.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,09:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ Mar. 23 2003,10wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't trust anyone.<span id='postcolor'>

According to Sky News, it was British Defense spokesperson who announced the loss of a plane by Patriot.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you sure that it wasn't just an inductive conclusion?

Who is most likely to shoot down a British aricraft

1) The Americans

2) The Iraqi

...well? wink.gif

thanx for being a bit more specific. I'm going with KIA since that gets most coverage. I'm sure there are more WIA than KIA, but those are hard to speculate since we don't have much numbers.

and the 101st case was not covered since i totally forgot about it after being forced to watch a certain chick flick that my girfriend forced me to watch with her ever since we missed the movie last time.... crazy.gif

thanx for reminding that up too.

and i was counting coalition forces, not just US.

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ Mar. 23 2003,09wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">not equal to 30...specially in one town.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it would be interesting to hear more from Garth. If his numbers are accurate then far from everything is being told.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm sure there are more WIA than KIA<span id='postcolor'>

Conservative estimates in modern warfare range usually 10-20 times as many WIAs as KIAs. That includes however hurting your toe by kicking a rock.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,10:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who is most likely to shoot down a British aricraft

1) The Americans

2) The Iraqi<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe the question should be who is more capable? biggrin.gif

sad.gifsad.gif

Too bad, really. For a while I thought we might have gotten our friendly fire problem licked

From 20 minutes ago, at The Jerusalem Post:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From the war front: US fighters wreck Republican Guard hq

By JANINE ZACHARIA

ABOARD THE USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT, EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN SEA

Fighter aircraft from the USS Theodore Roosevelt destroyed an Iraqi Republican Guard complex in the town of Al Falluja, just west of Baghdad, early Sunday.

Iraqi forces responded with anti-aircraft artillery and a number of missiles, which failed to reach the planes.

"I didn't see any actually guided on us," said the carrier's air wing commander, David Newland, who flew an F-14 Tomcat in the operation.

He described the Iraqi resistance as "ineffectual."

The pilots dropped GPS-guided Joint Direct Attack Munitions, which allowed them to fly at higher altitudes out of range of the anti-aircraft

fire.

The Republican Guard complex included a headquarters and a maintenance facility. It was not clear if there were also barracks or how many

casualties were caused by the strike.

Al Falluja was reportedly visited by UN inspectors in January, who were searching for weapons of mass destruction.

All two-dozen planes involved in the six-hour mission returned safely.

They were joined by US F-15 and F-16CJ fighters, launched from air bases in the region, who provided support and cover during the mission.

Pilots could see huge clouds of explosions and explosions from the target site as they departed. The F-14 Tomcats and F/A-18 Hornets had to

refuel several times mid-flight before returning to the carrier.

Sunday's mission was the carrier's second combat operation, signaling an increased involvement of the Mediterranean-based ship in the overall air war

in Iraq. On Saturday, strike fighters leveled Saddam's Ar Ramadi palace compound on the Euphrates River and an AM broadcast facility in

south-central Iraq.

Commander Newland described seeing the lights of Baghdad and a "number of fires in northern Iraq burning."

"I don't know if the fires were oil wells or targets that had been struck," he said.

Pilots on the Theodore Roosevelt have been training consistently for air-to-air combat with Iraqi fighter jets. So far, no Iraqi jet has engaged

a US strike fighter. Newland said Sunday's mission "was not as demanding as our training exercises."

Pilots from the ship's seven squadrons are in a healthy competition to participate in each night's strike package. "Everybody wants to do it," said

Commander Andrew Lewis, the skipper of the F/A-18 squadron,VFA-15 "Valions," who led Sunday's strike mission.<span id='postcolor'>

BTW, Jerusalem Post reporting has been excellent - not for on the second updates - but for the detailed articles they've printed and posted.

Besides reporters onboard the Roosevelt, their excellent reporter CAroline Glick is with the 101st (I believe), advancing in Iraq.

Yesterday on TV news, she phoned in during a firefight, describing what was going on.

wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 23 2003,09wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe the question should be who is more capable? biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yepp smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> sad.gif  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'll save my symphaties for the civilians. As you said earlier, it's war. It's too bad that soldiers get killed on both sides, and it's not the individual soldier's fault that they are in this position. The fact is however that this is a war by choice and I don't see why I should feel more sorry for the attacking party then for those defending their country. I'm collectivly sorry for both killed coalition and Iraqi forces, but that's as far as I'll extend it.

OK, a few things are clear.

1. A UK plane is missing. Perhaps it was shot down over Baghdad, but maybe not. The official claim is that a Patriot got it. Which raises a hell of a lot of questions... I mean, a Patriot?

2. More than 10 but less than 20 causalties in the Kuwait grenade attack. One is dead. IT appears that there are 13-16 WIA/KIA there.

3. Tikrit and northen Iraq bombed.

4. Umm Qasar is not completely clean. Perhaps it's just the new port?

Is Shock'n'Awe still going on in Baghdad?

Well whoever is left in that compound is well and truly fucked at this point. They should probably consider surrendering at this point, because they don't have a chance in the world.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Mar. 23 2003,04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If those are the bastards that killed those Kurds in '93, they need to get worse than simply excecuted.<span id='postcolor'>

Ease up a little, please.

The US goverment in 1991-1992 was responsible for more kurds slaughtered than anyone else. First they told the kurds to rise against Saddam, then they watched them getting slaughtered.

I don`t know if you rely to the incident with that gassed villagers, but if some guys responsible for that would be caught they should be taken to court in Den Haag.

This is getting political. Please keep such comments in the other Iraq thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ Mar. 23 2003,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. A UK plane is missing. Perhaps it was shot down over Baghdad, but maybe not. The official claim is that a Patriot got it. Which raises a hell of a lot of questions... I mean, a Patriot?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, a patriot.  Thats what we use for air defense.  And if it was a patriot, it was not shot down over Baghdad.  If it was shot down over Baghdad, it was not a patriot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. More than 10 but less than 20 causalties in the Kuwait grenade attack. One is dead. IT appears that there are 13-16 WIA/KIA there.<span id='postcolor'>

Does the DOD make house calls for WIAs?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">4. Umm Qasar is not completely clean. Perhaps it's just the new port?<span id='postcolor'>

They're actually in a pretty big battle now.  Those marines have been lying there for around an hour, they called in tanks and I heard they were going to call in CAS but not confirmed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is Shock'n'Awe still going on in Baghdad?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes.

edit - anybody else getting sick of seeing this iraqi information minister?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,10:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is getting political. Please keep such comments in the other Iraq thread.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you refering to your previous post about whom you save your pity for?

Anyway.............................

Report in of a UK TV reporter, cameraman and translator missing around Basra. Right now the concern is they were killed by friendly fire.

nevermind that

Jpost is a good newspaper. A shame they make you register, I hardly ever read foreign papers except for their international reports.

How is the rioting in Europe and the Middle East? Our dear friends in San Fransisco are making molotovs, apparently. Ahh, how I enjoy life on the Left Coast.

How's the BBC firefight?

According to Reuters, they are RG.http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030323/ts_nm/iraq_ummqasr_dc&cid=564&ncid=1478

Yahoo! also has a nice slideshow of airstrike damage.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ Mar. 23 2003,10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jpost is a good newspaper. A shame they make you register, I hardly ever read foreign papers except for their international reports.<span id='postcolor'>

I registered via an inactive WEB email account of mine. No harm done and worth it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How is the rioting in Europe and the Middle East?<span id='postcolor'>

Pro-Saddam marches s and rallies by Palestinians here in their towns. A bit of violence in protests in Egypt.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 23 2003,08:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BBC reports that the RAF aircraft was probably shot down by an American missile.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it has to be, if I think about the amount of Iraqi fighters in the air. Poor brits wink.gif

Well, let's think about it. The plane is returning from Baghdad, so roughly speaking, it's heading south. US forces, including the Patriots that have been brought up with the advance, are facing north. So, if it's a PAC-3 interceptor, it would just ram the front of the plane...at very high speed. No survivors in that scenario. If it's a PAC-2 interceptor, it blows up in the front of the plane. No survivors there either...UNLESS the crew saw it coming towards them on the radar, and bailed. But I doubt it.

Im seeing information that elements of RG have been left in the south, to mobilise up the defence of the regulars. It seems they are there to 'ensure' that the regulars actually do defend their positions and not surrender or retreat. Apparently they are putting guns to the heads of any of the regular units who are showing signs of defeat-ism or cowardice.