Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

RAF Tornado's target Baghdad radar systems:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2871525.stm

It seems strange that they are doing this now when there have already been so many overflights by US aircraft on bombing runs. I was under the impression that anti-radar sorties happened first to eliminate anti-air systems to allow for the heavy bombers to go in safely.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Turkey to invade northern Iraq<span id='postcolor'>

Uh-oh, thats not good. sad.gif

Tikrit, Saddam's home town, is being heavily bombed.

Yep, their government is sending troops, approved by parliament.

'In the same vote, Parliament approved a government plan to send two Turkish army brigades to Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq to protect Turkey's interests there. In doing so, lawmakers ignored warnings by the Bush administration that such an incursion could lead to clashes between Turkish and Kurdish forces.

Parliament's action did little to heal a rift with Washington. U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher welcomed the vote granting airspace rights, but said the United States remained "opposed to unilateral action by Turkey or by any party in northern Iraq."'

I think only last week or so the Turks banned the main Kurdish parties from operatin in Turkey. SO tempers could be frayed...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Mar. 22 2003,00:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Turkey to invade northern Iraq<span id='postcolor'>

Uh-oh, thats not good. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why? The US has everything under control. The turks are just attacking preemtively. Such things will happen a lot from now on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (interstat @ Mar. 21 2003,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">From Yahoo.com:

Overnight, CNN ran extensive live pictures of U.S. military units racing across the southern Iraq desert after they invaded the country and headed toward Baghdad, with little resistance.

Iraqi government officials, at a news conference, said such pictures being shown on Western TV networks were fabrications.<span id='postcolor'>

Um, how exactly can that footage be fabricated? Are the Iraqis telling us CNN secretly paid the US Army to drive hundreds of M1's and M2's across a desert for several hours in order that it may look like they were conquering Iraq? confused.gifbiggrin.gif

Everytime I see or hear news from Iraq I automatically remember the movie "Wag the dog". It`s like a thought-reflex and I can`t disable it. tounge.gif

Hehe. Yup. I guess their crazy propaganda must work on at least some of the Iraqi civilians though or they surely would have given up on it years ago. Seems to me they're always clutching at straws trying to make disastrous events sound favourable.

Sorry for getting a bit political btw.

word is that the Iraqi 11th and 51st divisions have surrendered. Finally some significant surrenders.

Maybe we should have a poll on how quickly the Americans and British reach the capital?

Saw something funny. Well, funny for its absurdity.

They were showing video of an Iraqi minister giving a "press conference" with a map. As he was talking and pointing to the map, the air strikes started and his map started swaying and jumping from the explosions.

But one particularly close bomb exploded and the map nearly jumped. The explosion died down and it was realatively quit except...

You could hear the "wah wah wah" of a car alarm.

Apparently that division was based somewhere in southern Iraq but the news isn't any more specific than that. I would guess maybe Basra since that seems to be the only place where any real resistance was felt by the allies.

Also, within the last twenty minutes 1500 Turkish troops have crossed their border into northern Iraq. This is a very unexpected development, and could cause serious disruption of the battle plan. I bet there are a lot of teeth grinding in Washington right now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Munger @ Mar. 22 2003,01:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, within the last twenty minutes 1500 Turkish troops have crossed their border into northern Iraq. This is a very unexpected development, and could cause serious disruption of the battle plan. I bet there are a lot of teeth grinding in Washington right now.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, it wasn't that unexpected:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=480

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The power vacuum created by the removal of Hussein and his Baathist military government will have numerous ramifications that will make any nation-building (I thought we were done with that? lol) efforts supremely difficult. One of the foremost issues: the sizable Kurdish minority in northern Iraq. Over the last few years, the Iraqui Kurds (who have always had ambitions toward self-determination) have created an enclave for themselves, where the Iraqui government has given them rein to control their own affairs, so long as they don't do anything drastic like rebel, or I dont know, aid an American attack.

This Kurdish enclave is looked upon with considerable envy by the Kurdish minorities in Turkey and Iran, and the national governments of the aforementioned countries are rather worried that a post Iraq map would have this enclave suddenly transformed into an independent Kurdish state. This, they worry, would engender nationalistic feelings among their Kurdish minorities that would damage their national interests (*cough*land*cough*oil*cough*).

This is especially worrying to Iran, because the border province of Kurdistan is adjacent to this enclave, and the Iranian Kurds are beginning to want the degree of self-government that their Iraqui brothers have.

Now, in the event of the victory of a US-led coalition in Iraq, the resolution of the Kurdish situation is integral to the stability of the region, as well as the well being of a newly formed Iraqi regime. Not to mention US relations to Iran and Turkey.

PS

This is some serious shit, because Iran and Turkey are so worried about the prospects of an independent Kurdish state, that IF Iraqi Kurdistan declares its independence, there is a very real possibility that Turkey and Iran will join forces to persuade the Iraqi Kurds otherwise. How would America deal with this situation, especially if we give our blessing to a Kurdish state. Would we come to their aid, or would we leave them in the lurch, just like in the early '90s?

<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=495

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I should make another point here. If this is all in conjunction with the WAR ON TERROR, then it might be a bit complicated that almost every single faction in the region has its own terrorist groups to use against the others- its just how they do business over there. Turkish Kurd seperatists stage attacks on Turkey from Iran, Iraq's People's Mujahadeen attacks Iranians in Khuzistan to destabilize that province as part of Iran and Iraq's ongoing 'non-war, definitely non-peace' relationship. And it goes on and on, in a violent merry go round of governments manipulating easily misguided fanatics, most of them religious in nature. Hell, Iraq has had almost as many jihads declared against it as the USA and Israel.

<span id='postcolor'>

Posted: Dec. 18 2002

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 22 2003,02:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Come one, come all for every Iraq map you'd ever want!<span id='postcolor'>

Those are the maps I am using...

BTW, that library is about two blocks from where I am.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Mar. 22 2003,01:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Saw something funny. Well, funny for its absurdity.

They were showing video of an Iraqi minister giving a "press conference" with a map. As he was talking and pointing to the map, the air strikes started and his map started swaying and jumping from the explosions.

But one particularly close bomb exploded and the map nearly jumped. The explosion died down and it was realatively quit except...

You could hear the "wah wah wah" of a car alarm.<span id='postcolor'>

ROFL......a car alarm going off....man, that is like a movie...

anyways, Turks are really getting things they wish. If they expand their borders, I'm guessing some serious international political problem arising in near future.

Wasn't there a large force of Iraq moving south before the attack? And what about the ones stationed in the city? If the US decides to attack the city, they can't just go up and start blowing up buildings due to the civilian population.

An urban warefare enviorment, woulden't that make tanks and IFV's a little difficult to control in?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Mar. 21 2003,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wasn't there a large force of Iraq moving south before the attack? And what about the ones stationed in the city? If the US decides to attack the city, they can't just go up and start blowing up buildings due to the civilian population.

An urban warefare enviorment, woulden't that make tanks and IFV's a little difficult to control in?<span id='postcolor'>

Right now the majority of Iraqi armor is in the field. It seems the Coalition forces are pretty confident they can take them out with their own armor, or that they're going to go the way of the 51st and surrender.

I'd be willing to bet that if the Iraqi armor starts making a dash for Baghdad or some other city then they're going to send in a massive air strike to take it out.

Just a minute ago there were 2 or 3 explosions in Baghdad, sounded like thunder going off...

Looks like Gr4's with ALARMs led the strike on Baghdad.

(In other news, I got arrested tonight! )