Nillers

General Discussion (Spearhead 1944 RC Branch)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss upcoming updates of Spearhead 1944 incoming to the Creator DLC RC Branch. Please stay subjective when posting in this thread as Heavy Ordnance Works will use this thread to look for feedback about their RC-Branch updates.

Please keep in mind that actual reports of issues should still happen via our Feedback Tracker. Thank you.

• Thanks 2

Firstly, thanks to the authors for addressing the topic WW2. Equipment and uniforms are made at a good professional level. Unlike prefabricated mods for the Second World level, the quality units is the same, it's nice to look at. The effects are generally excellent. Respect to the authors! The animation of holding some weapons was not very successful (I hope it will be fixed over time). And the almost total absence of motor transport (among the Allies) and light armored vehicles (among the Germans) is striking. This is implausible. They should be a lot more tanks. Need at least Willis, GMC and Kubelvagen. And SdKfz231 or SdKfz221 for germans. It is unclear the absence of armored personnel carriers with mortars. Separately, they are in the modification. But as self-propelled guns (as it was then) no. Strange.
 From other comments - the crews of guns 88 were completed only by Luftwaffe anti-aircraft gunners, and not by army artillerymen. In general, Normandy was characterized by a significant number of Luftwaffe airfield divisions as ordinary infantry. They are not here. Sadly. In addition, Wehrmacht sappers should have a black edging on their shoulder straps (like artillerymen - red). It was in Normandy that the Germans actively used camouflage with nets and branches due to Allied air strikes. It is not shown here. This significantly reduces the bar of historicity.
Important - there are no paratroopers in the add-on (in Normandy, both sides actively used them as elite infantry). Their absence greatly reduces the historicity of the expansion. In addition, it was in Normandy that the Germans used different variants of captured French equipment (tanks, armored personnel carriers, cars). To indicate the binding to the terrain, I would like to see at least one or two copies of such equipment in the future. Somua 35 for example. They were also used by the Free French, which is featured in the supplement. Well, Nebelwerfer Where are the Germans without him :)

In any case, I thank the authors and wish them good luck in their work on the development of the project. Hope it will.

DSC0558.jpgphoto_2_1390579382.JPG

Congratulations to the developers of Spearhead 1944. The CDLC is of high quality and is loaded with details that reveal a very professional product.

I believe that this CDLC and the updates to come are a good opportunity for the community to access content that has not been developed up to now, or has not yet been fully realized.

My suggestions are focused on the German side, and I would propose some iconic vehicles from the battles on the Western Front.

Transport:  Horch Kfz. 15, Krupp Protze, Half-Track Sdkfz 251, Half-Track Sdkfz 10

Tank Destroyer:  Marder II (Sdkfz 131), Marder III (Sdkfz 138 Ausf H), Marder III (Sdkfz 138 Ausf M)

Heavy Tank Destroyer:  Jagdpanther (Sdkfz 173), Ferdinand (Sdkfz 184)

Tank:  Panther w/MG34 (Sdkfz 171), Tiger I w/MG34 (Sdkfz 181)

Self-Propelled Artillery:  Hummel (Sdkfz 165), Brummbär (Sdkfz 166), 15 cm sIG 33 Pzkw II.

Field Gun Artillery:  Howitzer 15 cm sFH 18

Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft: Flakpanzer I, Flakpanzer 38(t)

Airplanes:  Fw 190 D-9, Fw 190 A-8, Ju 88 A/C, Ju 188 A-2, Do-17 E/Z, Do-217 E/J, BF109 E/F/G/K, BF110 C/F/G

In general, these vehicles are difficult to model and configure, and even more so in a complex environment like the one offered by Arma 3, so I think they have a better chance of being developed and implemented in the game, from a professional perspective. However, some of them share parts, such as the main gun or the chassis, which should make the task easier.

In any case, the Spearhead 1944 team has shown that it can model WW2 vehicles, with quality, excellent finishes, and with complex configurations, such as those required by armored vehicles with open compartments, so it would be excellent news if they could offer some of the mentioned vehicles.

Thanks for the excellent work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, PC dummy here; i bought and downloaded Spearhead 1944 yesterday and it plays fine in singleplayer mode, but when I try to log onto the KOTH 1944 multiplayer server this message prevents me getting in, any idea what it means?-

message.jpg

I would like to say great job to the devs for the CDLC, it is quite well done and feels great to play in Normandy with a fresh new perspective!

I would like to make  a few suggestions for future updates that I believe will improve this CDLC greatly:

1) One thing that is completely breaking immersion in Spearhead at the moment is the voice overs for the units. I noticed the US just use the same generic voice overs as the vanilla Arma 3 US faction. It would be way more authentic to have new ww2 related voice overs for the units especially the German units. An example of these voice overs were done really well back in the original Iron Front Liberation 1944 so perhaps you can grab from that game or another example was the WW2 Voiceovers mod for IAF3 which added unique sounds appropriate for the US and Germans. It even added battle shouting and raised tones during combat. I believe this had a massive impact to the mods immersion and so would work perfectly for this CDLC 🙂

2) As mentioned above and in other posts it would be much needed to have more vehicles, weapons and aircrafts. Here are a few I'd like to mention:

For the U.S:

-Willys Jeeps (A couple variants with MGs and without, medic variant etc.)

-GMC trucks (Also with a few variants-similar to the variants of M3 halftracks currently in game)

-M8 Greyhound

-P51 Mustang (A couple variants similar to the thunderbolt variants currently in game)

-M3A1 Stuart Tank (Will be appropriate as the Wermacht already has the Panzer III)

For the Wermacht:

-Kubelwagen (About 3 variants- mg, medic, normal)

-Schwimmwagen (This could be a new addition to the arma series altogether - it will work nicely for the rivers on the Normandy map)

-SdKfz 222 reconnaissance vehicle

-SdKfz 234/2 “Puma” 

-Panzer V Panther (From the photos I've seen this tank was quite common in operation Cobra, I think it's very important to include this tank.

-P38 Walther (This was more common than the Luger at the time)

3) Lastly I would like to compliment about the Normandy map, I think it is extremely well done and detailed so great job! The only thing is with it being so detailed, it kills fps quite a bit. Perhaps if there is a way, it would be good to optimize the map a bit more to increase performance.

Thanks again for an awesome new CDLC! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 12:34 PM, unnamedsoldier said:

And the almost total absence of motor transport (among the Allies) and light armored vehicles (among the Germans) is striking. This is implausible. They should be a lot more tanks. Need at least Willis, GMC and Kubelvagen. And SdKfz231 or SdKfz221 for germans. It is unclear the absence of armored personnel carriers with mortars. Separately, they are in the modification. But as self-propelled guns (as it was then) no. Strange.

So are you volunteering to create these vehicles for them? I mean, if there should be a lot more tanks, you aren't just going to make demands, and then slink away, and do nothing to create these vehicles you are demanding? 

18 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

Hi guys, PC dummy here; i bought and downloaded Spearhead 1944 yesterday and it plays fine in singleplayer mode, but when I try to log onto the KOTH 1944 multiplayer server this message prevents me getting in, any idea what it means?-

message.jpg

You would probably be better off going to their Discord, and report the issues there. 

Made several tries to get into Discord without success.

My Spearhead 44 issue seems to be related to something called 'Keys', any idea what they are?

Look-

S44.jpg

10 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

My Spearhead 44 issue seems to be related to something called 'Keys', any idea what they are?

Look-

S44.jpg

You have an issue with the IFA3 mod, not the Spearhead 1944 CDLD. I suggest that you either make sure you have the latest version of the mod, or go to the mod creator's Discord, and ask there. You could also ask the server admins about the issues, but I doubt anyone here can help you. 

Is there any way to disable revive system in SP?

Will saving be returning to Warlords or was disabling saving the permanent fix for the issues? I hope it wasn't. 

I found I could load my game more often than not before the hotfix without issue, after the hotfix I loaded my current match and it was all sorts of broken and had to be restarted, which was to be expected.

But removing saving from Warlords has removed a huge appeal to play the mode as it's no longer persistent. You have to play the entire match in one sitting if you want to experience a full match.

Edit: adding to this, the change has also hurt the mode by way of the fact that it's always the same sectors, so if you just start a new match every time you want to play Warlords.. you're just capturing the same sectors again and again and, unless you have a large amount of time, will not get to experience the best parts the game mode has to offer, which is when you're battling for capture points when both sides have settled in.

This change has essentially neutered the appeal of what was the best Singleplayer option in the DLC. Most of us can't enjoy an ENTIRE Warlords Match in one sitting.

I was honestly having one of my favourite ARMA experiences to date in a Warlords match that this patch rendered unplayable and due to my time constraints I'll likely never be able to get the mode back to that stage in a single sitting.

I really hope this isn't a permanent change as it ruins one of the already limited singleplayer options, and the best one, at that.

Really hope this is a temp change and you guys are trying to get Warlords back to saveable. 

It would be a shame to have to be forced to rely on mods for a good combined arms singleplayer experience for this DLC because of this chage.

Edited by Aerozeppelin
Expanded feedback slightly.

19 hours ago, pooroldspike said:

Look-

S44.jpg

Spike that error message is referring to IFA3_AIO_Lite which dont exist anymore on the workshop, the team changed the name to IFA3_AIO

a couple years ago, they put a new version on the workshop which has upgraded textures, and terrains and such.

Your kicked from the game because your using a mod that dont exist, and keys from a mod that the server doesn't have.

Delete your IFA3_AIO_Lite and get IFA3_AIO here ----->  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2648308937

I'm not a particular WW2 fan but the CDLC was an instabuy just for the beautiful and interesting map. A couple of observations:

1 - The map is extremely taxing on my system, and takes an inordinate amount of time to load. I'm sure this is not news to the devs and I hope there is some optimisation in the map's future.

2 - There are many many missing water texture tiles in the river system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tpw said:

I'm not a particular WW2 fan but the CDLC was an instabuy just for the beautiful and interesting map. A couple of observations:

1 - The map is extremely taxing on my system, and takes an inordinate amount of time to load. I'm sure this is not news to the devs and I hope there is some optimisation in the map's future.

Me too, and my system is not exactly weak.

Also I noticed that AI walk through most closed doors. That is really killing immersion. I think this is an issue with paths in building models?

Thanks for the advices guys but I'm still unable to get into the KOTH Spearhead multiplayer server and am pouting and sulking like crazy.

Here are some screenshots that might offer some clues, do they mean anything to you?

PIC 1- the Spearhead DLC is loaded-

SH-loaded.jpg

PIC 2- And the  IFA3 A10  mod is loaded- 

IFA-loaded.jpg

PIC 3- And although the 6 KOTH servers show up including Spearhead, I can get into the other 5 but not Spearhead-
Stars.jpg

PIC 4- These are the type of messages I get whenever I try to get into the Spearhead server-

S44.jpg

message.jpg

I'm still in a pickle, it began when I installed the Spearhead DLC, so I want to completely get rid of Spearhead from my system.

I've deleted a bunch of SPE files but now can't get onto any of the other multiplayer servers at all !

Any advice?

On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, pooroldspike said:

PIC 4- These are the type of messages I get whenever I try to get into the Spearhead server-

You shouldn't be getting this error if you removed IFA3_AIO_Lite as that mod dont exist anymore on the workshop, if you

are still loading it then stop and delete that mod in the Arma 3 launcher.

If the server only requires the SPE 1944 DLC then i suggest doing the following:

1. Verify the integrity of the game so that everything is up to date, and nothing is corrupted, or missing.

2. Go to ----> Steam library ----> right click Arma 3 ------> go down to properties ------> click on the DLC tab, scroll to the bottom as SPE 1944 is the last one,

and uncheck the box next to it, let steam uninstall it.

If you want to take this even further then get this search program ----> Agent Ransack https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

its free, just download, install it, then run it, and in the File name box type SpearHead 1944 and then make it look in all your drives on your computer, give it

like 3-5 minutes and it will search your entire computer for everything for the DLC, and it will list it all.

Once its done you can delete it all in the window there.

Imo the DLC is good, i think you should just reinstall it, also note who's ever running that Koth server needs to make sure

that they have updated SPE 1944 DLC on the server too so that when you join, your playing with the same version as the server and vice versa, if not

then more then likely the server will boot you because your not running their version.

I think that would be my first suggestion, is

contact the server owner and tell them to make sure their running the latest version of SPE 1944

as it was updated last week.

Anyone else having an issue where your player character will unload a clip when spotting enemies without even hitting your trigger? I thought maybe it was the SPE_AI module, but removed it and its still happening. Looks like it may be an AI suppression script that forgot to leave out the players. Mods I am using is CBA, Death hit animations, and ACSTG AI cannot see through grass. I am running a respawn script that does control anything firing a weapon. Thanks in advance.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, vafana said:

Is there any way to disable revive system in SP?

What do you mean specifically here? Its only active if the module is part of the mission or ER is activated via functions. Please clarify.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, Aerozeppelin said:

Will saving be returning to Warlords or was disabling saving the permanent fix for the issues?

Unclear at this stage. WL was not designed to work with savegames. I've reached to the one modder that made a working version with save+load. 🤞

On 8/4/2023 at 12:19 PM, tpw said:

Do you still have the issue @tpw? If so, please share a log file - also a screenshot of missing water texture tiles would be good.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:54 PM, oldy41 said:

Me too, and my system is not exactly weak.

Also I noticed that AI walk through most closed doors. That is really killing immersion. I think this is an issue with paths in building models?

Can you provide a location with a screenshot /simple demo mission please @oldy41 The buildings were set up with AI path lods and specific door naming to work with AI.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:51 AM, pooroldspike said:

Thanks for the advices guys but I'm still unable to get into the KOTH Spearhead multiplayer server and am pouting and sulking like crazy.

Here are some screenshots that might offer some clues, do they mean anything to you?

@pooroldspikeYou need to unload all mods to be able to play on the KOTH SPE server.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:46 AM, mikey74 said:

Anyone else having an issue where your player character will unload a clip when spotting enemies without even hitting your trigger? I thought maybe it was the SPE_AI module, but removed it and its still happening. Looks like it may be an AI suppression script that forgot to leave out the players. Mods I am using is CBA, Death hit animations, and ACSTG AI cannot see through grass. I am running a respawn script that does control anything firing a weapon. Thanks in advance.

@mikey74 hm weird - never seen that and cant see how SPE could cause that.

1) please try without mods to rule that out

2) would need to see a video to get a better idea

3) please provide a rpt log of a session with the prob (best to exit right after it happened)

ty

• Like 1

7 hours ago, .kju said:

@mikey74 hm weird - never seen that and cant see how SPE could cause that.

1) please try without mods to rule that out

2) would need to see a video to get a better idea

3) please provide a rpt log of a session with the prob (best to exit right after it happened)

ty

RPT is more than a crash file? Nothing was crashing. Just popping off rounds without me pulling trigger. That said. I was unable to replicate today with or without mods. With the exception of It did shoot my bazoooka before I was aimed. idk its wierd. Only CBA and prairie fire was loaded, and of course I wasn't recording by this point. When I get more time. I'm going to try a few other things like making the same mission using just priarie fire or just standard arma 3. Hopefully in the next few days if it is SPE I'll post my findings here. Thanks for your response. As usual KJU. You do awesome work. IMO worth my hard earned money 😂. 😉

• Thanks 1

I see theres one SP scenario -is it a fully fleshed out for a good SP experience? Also do the Co-op missions give you the option to start with AI?

17 hours ago, mikey74 said:

RPT is more than a crash file? Nothing was crashing.

Just popping off rounds without me pulling trigger. That said. I was unable to replicate today with or without mods. With the exception of It did shoot my bazoooka before I was aimed. idk its wierd.

Only CBA and prairie fire was loaded, and of course I wasn't recording by this point.

When I get more time. I'm going to try a few other things like making the same mission using just priarie fire or just standard arma 3.

Hopefully in the next few days if it is SPE I'll post my findings here. Thanks for your response. As usual KJU. You do awesome work. IMO worth my hard earned money 😂. 😉

@mikey74 The rpt is primarily a log file - bidmp/mdmp are the crash logs.

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

17 hours ago, froggyluv said:

I see theres one SP scenario -is it a fully fleshed out for a good SP experience? Also do the Co-op missions give you the option to start with AI?

@froggyluv The campaign was designed to be playable alone (or a friend/few friends - next to up to 24 players). 

Its MP mainly for performance reasons (better with dedicated server use), to have mission parameters for customization and respawn instead of save-load (respawn can be turned off though).

We spent a lot of time to make it as playable as possible via custom difficulty adjustment - lower are to be more of a movie experience, while Veteran and Hardcore are the big challenge.

The playable slots can be left to AI, which are capable of advancing, finishing mission objectives, revive each other or players, call in supports, etc.

So in short we gave our best. Let us know how it goes! 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to make a brief constructive post on this DLC because I see and appreciate the work you've put in to get it as far as it has. It seems people flop too hard one way or the other, either ignoring all the valid criticisms or ignoring all of the positive elements.

I'll just put it in list form for the sake of readability.

Pros:

1. The map is an absolute blessing for western front WW2 in A3, not just due to its size but also its detail and the fact it is based on an actual real life location.
  2. The weapons, vehicles and models look and feel great compared to any WW2 mod. (Although I did notice the MP-40 looks suspiciously like a MP-38)
  3. The effort put into the AI morale system and other modules and effects is amazing and worthy of praise.
  4. Having groups that approximate real life organization at the time. (Except for medics in every infantry squad/Lack of platoon sergeants/Little things.)

Cons:

1. The complete absence of German language.
  2. The very narrow selection of assets, the lack of which making it impossible to directly recreate Op. Cobra without mods. The M3 Stuart stands out in this regard.
  3. Possibly overzealous censorship.
  4. Strange problems (eventhandlers?) where if you change the loadout of a SPE unit, even by directly modifying the mission.sqm in a text editor, the unit will still sometimes default to their original loadout.
  5. No Gefreiters without gaiters and various other missing gear.
  6. Units that have radios (handheld) on their vest model, such as American squad leaders, do not actually possess a radio item.

Overall I really like the feel of it and that there's a base for WW2 in A3 now, as SOG provided a base for Vietnam and GM for the Cold War. It feels very tight and lively, like you're really there. I think it's very competent for the most part and I don't want the few issues it has to overshadow everything else. I hope that you continue to work on this and expand it because it's already an amazing experience yet has the potential to be a truly incredible experience. I wouldn't be discouraged by the cold initial reception, since even SOG also was not initially warmly received, but look at where it is today.

Best of luck to you and your team.

• Thanks 1