stburr91

My experience with the new update (0.9.9.47)

I just tried the new update (Update 0.9.9.47)

I couldn't figure out how to use any of the new medical stuff, it was completely unintuitive, and after almost 10 minutes of trying to figure it out, I moved onto trying the new bipods. The very first time I used the bipods, I got a very strange result, with major clipping issues.

After about 10 minutes of trying the new update, I had enough, and turned off the game. I haven't had a good experience with this game, and trying the new update has only exacerbated my bad experience with the game.

This was the result of trying the bipods for the first time, I don't know if the devs can get anything useful from this, but here are the screenshots incase they may be useful.  

xJf8gLf.jpg

JcVY0HD.jpg

It still has session errors and many, many bugs such as a downed player's name getting stuck in the middle of the screen even after respawn. And it runs far worse than before. Maybe in another 3 months, they will fix it.

The code needs optimization, I guess you need 32 Gigabytes of RAM and an RTX 4090 to even run a playable framerate. I bet this is still only using one CPU core out of 12.

6 hours ago, jakeplissken said:

I bet this is still only using one CPU core out of 12.

Heh, OK but this can be easily tested, I would be genuinely interested if you'd post some clips or logs.

13 hours ago, jakeplissken said:

It still has session errors and many, many bugs such as a downed player's name getting stuck in the middle of the screen even after respawn. And it runs far worse than before. Maybe in another 3 months, they will fix it.

The code needs optimization, I guess you need 32 Gigabytes of RAM and an RTX 4090 to even run a playable framerate. I bet this is still only using one CPU core out of 12.

My understanding is that the enfusion engine is limited in the number of cores it uses. Also, I've seen several people saying that they are still having the same amount of crashes, and disconnections as they were before the update. 

7 hours ago, Janez said:

Heh, OK but this can be easily tested, I would be genuinely interested if you'd post some clips or logs.

Someone who said they tested it and said that reforger has never used more than 3 cores. I don't have any logs to share, but based on the mediocre performance of reforeger, I don't doubt that it only uses a few of the CPU cores. 

Bug if it is, is the sound is so low for me i have to turn up my computer's volume just to hear anything ingame, and i use the headphones settings.

Another issue is which i didn't have any problems with before the update was now i cannot move (strafe) left nor can i move backward,

i use the arrow keys to move, I checked every key in every category to make sure the same keys weren't bound anywhere else and their not.

Game is more unplayable now then it was earlier this year, the performance is a bit worse, most of the mods i had used months ago dont exist now, 2 major updates ago all my keys were

reset, before this update i had issues where when i went to game master and back to the menu, whatever settings i set in the menu would reset when i got to

the gamemaster, and vice versa, well that seems fixed now.

Think i will wait to even play this again after the next update and see if anything changes.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 3:35 AM, jakeplissken said:

9900k 32gb and 4080 and its about 55fps on ultra for a lg 40wp95c-w  screen :shrug:

4 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Bug if it is, is the sound is so low for me i have to turn up my computer's volume just to hear anything ingame, and i use the headphones settings.

Another issue is which i didn't have any problems with before the update was now i cannot move (strafe) left nor can i move backward,

i use the arrow keys to move, I checked every key in every category to make sure the same keys weren't bound anywhere else and their not.

Game is more unplayable now then it was earlier this year, the performance is a bit worse, most of the mods i had used months ago dont exist now, 2 major updates ago all my keys were

reset, before this update i had issues where when i went to game master and back to the menu, whatever settings i set in the menu would reset when i got to

Think i will wait to even play this again after the next update and see if anything changes.

That sucks man, I know others have reported issues with keybindings after the update. 

32 minutes ago, razor6014 said:

9900k 32gb and 4080 and its about 55fps on ultra for a lg 40wp95c-w  screen :shrug:

I've seen a number of people say that performance has gotten worse since the update. A guy with a 3070 card says he had to lower his graphics to try to get 60 fps. There are so few game features (compared to Arma 3) to draw on the system, and the graphics are very mediocre, so there is no way people with decent systems should be getting such poor performance.

I don't know what the future holds for the enfusion engine, but I just can't see how it can deliver decent performance once it has all the features you expect from an Arma game. I was hoping for an expanded feature set for Arma 4, but at this point, I can't help but wonder if we'll even get all of the features that Arma 3 had.     

Anyone try to get the AI to set up those bipods yet?

Spoiler

In Arma 3 those on-foot bipod anims were player-only (or at least bipod body flexing anim was player-only), which imo was (and still is) a huge tragedy.  With navmesh path-finding in Reforger, eventually we should be able to really unleash these AI to do all kinds of wild things.  Yeah... eventually being the key word.

Would be a shame (in Reforger / Arma 4) if AI foot soldier can't be made to set up their bipod and flex around, just like the player.

Even if only possibly via modding, please devs let the AI do this!

I would say its a +/- 5 fps depending on the update , the last was about the same for me, where at the start I was getting 75 fps but crashes frequently. 
I understand your frustration , and like any new system be it a

game engine, or a car engine, or plane there is a maturity period after it goes in production because what ever you think of, reality will hit. 

Any new system at the begining is complex and over time it becomes simplified and more robust. 

And I am not talking here about months, I am talking about years, 

10 years to build a game engine is normal, and after that most games (ie cyberpunk 2077 2020 release)

take 3 more years after that to mature (ok more on the graphics complexity that one while AR and probably A4 is more on the networking side).  
And also look at the diference cyberpunk now has a 30 bucks dlc, while we have AR, and later A4 .  If you squint you may see the cost and time of development is similar. 

After the launch debacle of cyberpunk the studio went to using Unreal 5 for the next project as if you try to create a game and an engine its RISKY for the investors. And so we have AR so that when A4 comes the investors are well protected from hearing such criticism about their investment.  Now you may not have not read between the lines like this , but this is how it seems to me.

And dont get me started on Star Citizen, it took that company 12 years to figure out the game engine (which they bought) and create a medical system 

2 hours ago, stburr91 said:

I've seen a number of people say that performance has gotten worse since the update. A guy with a 3070 card says he had to lower his graphics to try to get 60 fps. There are so few game features (compared to Arma 3) to draw on the system, and the graphics are very mediocre, so there is no way people with decent systems should be getting such poor performance.

except for  a modest FPS dip ( i only lowered my environment settings from ultra to high to get my frames back)  this update seems to have improved stability. most stable patch since a long while.  played  for multiple games for many hours straight crashes are now seemingly uncommon now at least relative to last stable build patch. Only had 1 so far. the only disconnects i had  so far was either server restarting or issues on my end ( wifi automatically changing channels from interference, and thus briefly loosing connectivity), but apparently this be my experience since some people are complaining from more commonly occurring crashes. 

as to new content added Love the health update , the ballistics system, and the overdue ability to deploy bipods on weapons. Also nice that sandbags are now destructible if rammed hard enough with a vehicle. I by accident clipped a road checkpoint and instead of vehicle coming to a halt i bumped past it with part of the sandbags crumbling.

yeah, the devs need another 9 months of work before the 1.0 release. I was stuck today, opening doors would not work and I could not respawn, the game was stuck. Maybe in 2024. Bohemia should quit while they are not too humiliated.

Sadly, the new update is really problematic for me as well, FPS got much worse. I don't get what's going on.

Is BIS even running performance profiling tests before the releases on different PC setups with diff specs? I don't get it.

• Like 1

I am guessing since the rehaul of the networking Prio 1 was deploy and verify that it works before anything else

20 hours ago, stburr91 said:

A guy with a 3070 card says he had to lower his graphics to try to get 60 fps. There are so few game features (compared to Arma 3) to draw on the system, and the graphics are very mediocre, so there is no way people with decent systems should be getting such poor performance.

I think I'm that guy.
I suspect that devs using top of the line CPUs, 64+Gb RAM and 4090 GPUs may not even be aware that the update has tanked performance. As an exclusively SP person Reforger has limited appeal to me, but at least it looked next gen and performed well. Now it doesn't even have that going for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tpw said:

I think I'm that guy.
I suspect that devs using top of the line CPUs, 64+Gb RAM and 4090 GPUs may not even be aware that the update has tanked performance. As an exclusively SP person Reforger has limited appeal to me, but at least it looked next gen and performed well. Now it doesn't even have that going for it.

This could be very much the case, unfortunately. Reforger needs a proper dedicated QA team or a bigger QA team, then? A variety of PC configurations to test with should help here. (However, the game doesn't and won't support DirectX 11. DX12 is the only way now.)

On 7/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, stburr91 said:

That sucks man, I know others have reported issues with keybindings after the update. 

I don't know what the future holds for the enfusion engine, but I just can't see how it can deliver decent performance once it has all the features you expect from an Arma game. I was hoping for an expanded feature set for Arma 4, but at this point, I can't help but wonder if we'll even get all of the features that Arma 3 had.     

I Can confirm, had to bring down settings some. highs and ultra 1440p. No crashes so far tho.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

A fellow arrow key user.... I salute you. And thank you for posting this, thought I was losing my mind. 

• Like 1

For the keybinds issue, delete everything in the "profile" folder located in your Documents/My Games/ArmaReforger/profile. Bohemia should make an official post about this in the meantime it's fixed, would save a lot of frustration from players.

For me, the new update experience wasn't smooth at the very beginning for two reasons, one was the keybinds issue which I fortunately quickly solved with this little trick, and two because I can't seem to join almost full servers. Everytime I get the black loading screen for a while until it brings me back to the main menu with a connection failed error.

This is how I almost dropped the game, but then I found a new conflict server, speaking my language, running often with only 25 players for 64 slots, and I have to tell you, it's been three days that I play on it non stop and the experience has never been much smoother since the launch of the game.
0 crashes, 0 disconnects. I had one where my ping skyrocketed to 999, but I don't think the game was to blame. Whether it was my internet or the server. Only issues are servers crashes. The server crashes from time to time, worst I had was thrice a day. So I would say, for now the new update is a big win for me, thank you for your work Bohemia. Please continue on this path, and I hope that players who still have issues will be able to live the same smooth experience, at least with the 1.0 release if not before. I know the game might break again in a future update, but this is the deal I made with an early access engine that has to improve, so for now I enjoy the time I have with a stable release.

I didn't really notice the performance drop, but I'm running a 1060 anyway so I rarely hit 60fps. Happens only in gamemaster solo, without any AI and far from settlements. One thing I noticed is that the "environment quality" parameter eats A LOT of performance if set to anything above low. Ultra is the worst offender, I can have everything else on low and I drop to 20-30fps. I don't even know what this parameter does, if someone knows I would gladly hear you out. I would advise anyone to keep this thing on low because it doesn't seem to make the game prettier anyways.

Now for the features. The unconscious and healing mechanics are super nice and add a new layer of gameplay to the game, it was much needed and it's much appreciated. Didn't have any major issue with it that I can remember. It's really nice to be able to treat allies and have another chance at living after being hit. The only problem I have is, sometimes players or AI seem to be ultra resistant to hits after being downed. I'm not a hundred percent positive on this one but one time I approached an unconscious enemy player and shot him in the head three times with a 9mm M9. I figured this surely killed him and I was on my way to leave when I noticed that he was still breathing, so I shot three more bullets until I confirmed his death. Don't really know what happened there. He should have died with the first bullet to the face. AI seems really hard to kill sometimes too. Those new ballistic vests are really resistant to 5.56 caliber for something that is supposed to only stop shrapnel. Please no more super soldiers like the OPFOR in Arma 3. Those CSAT dudes were such a pain to kill.

Hopefully we will be able to drag bodies, either in a next update or in Arma 4, but this I think is a mandatory mechanic, so you really can't skip on this one Bohemia ! Medical vehicles don't have a lot of use for now in conflict mode, players only spawn them to strip them of all their medical supplies. But for the future of Arma, especially PvE milsim, this is a great addition, so thank you for the new vehicles. Always welcome.

Complaints I have are : healing allies is clunky. Sometimes it's hard to aim at body parts to trigger the interaction prompt. If this can't be improved, my suggestions are, either add little white dots to the 3D HUD located on body parts so we know where to aim, or make a full interface like the player inventory.
A healing interface would also solve the quick slots problems, which is my second complaint. Healing oneself from the inventory is easy, but to treat an ally we have to drag and drop all three medical items in the quick slot bar to be able to use them, a bit tedious.

Weapon deployment is really cool. It works well, and I noticed we can even slide the weapon along the surface we are resting on, we're not stuck in position, we can move freely, for example left or right. This is such a little detail but it's really awesome, like I didn't even think of a feature like that, this is really a quality of life type of thing, thank you for this. Please keep them coming.

The new respawn system is super smooth, like wow. It was kind of clunky to say the least, but now the respawn times are super fast and reliable, and the respawn map is less buggy than before. Nice nice nice. Maxi thumbs up.

I have mixed feelings about the new radio radial interface. At first I couldn't change frequencies freely for the life of me, scrolling the mouse wheel only skipped through available group channels. Couldn't find any keybind in the parameters either. What helped is when I activated the HUD keybinds hints. This is when I learned that you have to CTRL + scroll wheel to change channels. This was super frustrating at first I have to say ^^. Please no more hidden mechanics like this in future updates. Maybe my fault too for not leaving the hints on after a major update, will do next time.
You know how I did to change channels before learning the keybind, I grabbed the radio in my hand and changed the frequency manually with the "inspect item" mechanic. And at first I thought this is how it was supposed to be done from now on. And I found it quite cool actually, you know the whole analog style gameplay. I think there is something that can be done here for the future. But please make so that the buttons can be used with the scroll wheel. At the moment you have to spam F on the buttons to change frequencies by a 0.5Mhz step. Super annoying. Sometimes it doesn't even work at all.

Mods download has been improved. Really cool, nothing else much to say, you knew what had to be addressed and you've done it. Thanks.

I dig the new vehicles liveries for the FIA. Really cool, I didn't even know I needed that for extra immersion. Thanks. Keep those details coming.

Online smooth vehicles, at first I didn't even notice it, because there wasn't any problem with it. And It's often only when something isn't right that we pay attention to it. So yeah, other players driving a vehicle is super smooth now, the car doesn't jump around, doesn't stop in the middle of the road to teleport 3 seconds later a hundred meters further, doesn't crash into a tree when turning to dash back on the road a moment after... Awesome. Super cool showcase of programming skills right there, please continue improving the code of the game like this, this is really what Arma lacked in a lot of departments, especially Arma 3. Enfusion deserves to be a smooth and reliable engine, not clunky mess.

I noticed the cloud shadows are back, thanks ! Still not what they were before the update, but at least they are there. I really liked the shiny sunlight between clouds that was present at the launch of the game, it's not as warm anymore but hey, maybe you will improve it in the next update ?

I don't really know how to end this post. Thanks guys, for everything, keep up the good work, and I have to tell you, I expect much much more from Arma 4. I'm really pumped for what it can become. I really hope you're conceiving awesome things little by little in parallel with reforger, and that it will make for an amazing release. Don't reveal everything in reforger, keep the wow effect for the next Arma.

😄

Edit : Ok so since the server I'm playing on gained popularity I'm crashing quite often. There are more or less 50 players playing on it and yeah, had 3 crashes today. Oh well, hope the game will be stable for 1.0. At least I had a lot of fun for a couple days. Arma has the power to reunite people with who you can talk and laugh, it really was a nice time and I had a blast with other players.

Edited by Shurilex
bad news
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Friend has a 3090, I have a 3080. Before the latest update Reforger for us ran like a dream. Above 100 FPS, and when under load (lots of AI) we never dipped below 70 FPS.

Now, we're both unable to get above 60 FPS. Mostly sitting between 30 - 40 FPS. For those saying tweak the options, play on lower settings - we tried that too and the difference was negligible. 

So, something clearly regressed optimization wise. Typically, that FPS was playable in Arma 3 because we could aim but there's stuttering which ruins the experience for us. Hoping this gets fixed/patched soon. I know some refactoring took place to accommodate the vehicle stuff. 

On 8/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, Badger 2-3 said:

Friend has a 3090, I have a 3080. Before the latest update Reforger for us ran like a dream. Above 100 FPS, and when under load (lots of AI) we never dipped below 70 FPS.

Now, we're both unable to get above 60 FPS. Mostly sitting between 30 - 40 FPS. For those saying tweak the options, play on lower settings - we tried that too and the difference was negligible. 

So, something clearly regressed optimization wise. Typically, that FPS was playable in Arma 3 because we could aim but there's stuttering which ruins the experience for us. Hoping this gets fixed/patched soon. I know some refactoring took place to accommodate the vehicle stuff. 

Just to be clear, I was someone who suggested adjusting settings. I have played for much longer and not been disconnected but have also noted a lack of smooth performance  and stuttering that makes Arma3 look like the newer game.