jujurat

Sa'hatra, Iraq/Middle Eastern Terrain

Ohhh sweet baby Jesus!

Just an idea, but maybe worth exploring - perhaps it's possible to get a separate, clean version of Sa'hatra (without the trash in the streets etc.) on Steam WS when the final release comes around?

I think it'd be pretty handy for mission makers for flexibility of scenarios. Unless it'll be possible to easily remove all the extra props from the terrain? (Like trash in the streets, various small ruins etc.)

All in all - congrats on an awesome Alpha release!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kaject said:

Just an idea, but maybe worth exploring - perhaps it's possible to get a separate, clean version of Sa'hatra (without the trash in the streets etc.) on Steam WS when the final release comes around?

I think it'd be pretty handy for mission makers for flexibility of scenarios. Unless it'll be possible to easily remove all the extra props from the terrain? (Like trash in the streets, various small ruins etc.)

All in all - congrats on an awesome Alpha release!

This is something I wanna do with modules, if someone wants to help with that.

Fantastic work as always jujurat, thanks very much for an amazing and very atmospheric terrain. I'll second keject's opinion on all of the rubbish lying around. It's pretty simple to remove by screening nearrestterrainobjects and I've written a script to do so which I'm happy to share. I think using bricks as surface clutter is also overdone, since the player can be in the arid regions far away from habitation and see bricks everywhere in the dirt. I know the map is not full release version yet so hopefully there's still some scope for you to make a few config changes 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tpw said:

Fantastic work as always jujurat, thanks very much for an amazing and very atmospheric terrain. I'll second keject's opinion on all of the rubbish lying around. It's pretty simple to remove by screening nearrestterrainobjects and I've written a script to do so which I'm happy to share. I think using bricks as surface clutter is also overdone, since the player can be in the arid regions far away from habitation and see bricks everywhere in the dirt. I know the map is not full release version yet so hopefully there's still some scope for you to make a few config changes 🙂

I will be making some changes, there's plenty I need to do yet, both for the terrain and gear. 🙂

Feel free to get in touch if you'd consider making your thing a module.

1 hour ago, jujurat said:

I will be making some changes, there's plenty I need to do yet, both for the terrain and gear. 🙂

Feel free to get in touch if you'd consider making your thing a module.

// HIDE RUBBISH
_rubbish = nearestterrainobjects [position player, ["HIDE"],10000, false] select {["rubble",str _x] call bis_fnc_instring ||["junk",str _x] call bis_fnc_instring || ["garbage",str _x] call bis_fnc_instring};
	{
	_x hideobject true;
	_x enablesimulation false;
	} foreach _rubbish;

I don't know how to make modules but the code is pretty simple.

• Like 1

Also,, keep in mind, ppl can use the HideObject module in the base game.Works a treat!

I'am sweet with not making any lighting mods for your terrains dude.All good by me.I was thinking of mentioning that your lighting and sky would be nice for default terrains.

Maybe in the future I/we could make one.Up to you m8.

Thanks for the beautifull terrain!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tpw said:

// HIDE RUBBISH
_rubbish = nearestterrainobjects [position player, ["HIDE"],10000, false] select {["rubble",str _x] call bis_fnc_instring ||["junk",str _x] call bis_fnc_instring || ["garbage",str _x] call bis_fnc_instring};
	{
	_x hideobject true;
	_x enablesimulation false;
	} foreach _rubbish;

I don't know how to make modules but the code is pretty simple.

A good start but can be improved a lot.

'hideObject'/'enableSimulation' is fine if the module is executed on every machine upon joining (which a map-editing module like this would have to be, equivalent to 'init.sqf'), otherwise always use the 'Global' variants 'hideObjectGlobal'/'enableSimulationGlobal'.

If you ain't doing a case-insensitive in-string search, then use 'in'.

// HIDE RUBBISH
private _worldAxis = worldSize / 2;
private _rubbish = nearestTerrainObjects [
    [_worldAxis, _worldAxis, 0],
    ['HIDE'], sqrt 2 * _worldAxis, false
] select {
    private _str = str _x;
    'rubble' in _str || 'junk' in _str || 'garbage' in _str
};
{
    _x hideObjectGlobal true;
    _x enableSimulationGlobal false;
} forEach _rubbish;

@jujurat The map is amazing and looks fantastic.  Were you interested in bug reports here?  I don't want to bother you with stuff if you're not ready to hear reports yet since it's still in development.

4 hours ago, ANZACSAS Steven said:

Also,, keep in mind, ppl can use the HideObject module in the base game.Works a treat!

I'am sweet with not making any lighting mods for your terrains dude.All good by me.I was thinking of mentioning that your lighting and sky would be nice for default terrains.

Maybe in the future I/we could make one.Up to you m8.

Thanks for the beautifull terrain!

Hi Steven, nothing against lighting mods, I strictly just don't want people to run them with my map (and have issues), so it's something I'm looking into fixing with a restructure of the terrain's inheritance in the config! Once I've got something sorted, I'll update the rest of my legacy terrains so they are compatible with people who want to opt for the (subpar, but I'm biased) Splendid Lighting Modification, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gatordev said:

@jujurat The map is amazing and looks fantastic.  Were you interested in bug reports here?  I don't want to bother you with stuff if you're not ready to hear reports yet since it's still in development.

I recommend you contact me on discord, or seek the NORBAT discord. My username is the same on discord.

1 hour ago, rautamiekka said:

A good start but can be improved a lot.

'hideObject'/'enableSimulation' is fine if the module is executed on every machine upon joining (which a map-editing module like this would have to be, equivalent to 'init.sqf'), otherwise always use the 'Global' variants 'hideObjectGlobal'/'enableSimulationGlobal'.

If you ain't doing a case-insensitive in-string search, then use 'in'.

// HIDE RUBBISH
private _worldAxis = worldSize / 2;
private _rubbish = nearestTerrainObjects [
    [_worldAxis, _worldAxis, 0],
    ['HIDE'], sqrt 2 * _worldAxis, false
] select {
    private _str = str _x;
    'rubble' in _str || 'junk' in _str || 'garbage' in _str
};
{
    _x hideObjectGlobal true;
    _x enableSimulationGlobal false;
} forEach _rubbish;

Sqf is such a mystery to me, I'm only experienced in lua.. if you'd be interested in helping out, please shoot me a message on Steam or Discord!

9 hours ago, jujurat said:

Hi Steven, nothing against lighting mods, I strictly just don't want people to run them with my map (and have issues), so it's something I'm looking into fixing with a restructure of the terrain's inheritance in the config! Once I've got something sorted, I'll update the rest of my legacy terrains so they are compatible with people who want to opt for the (subpar, but I'm biased) Splendid Lighting Modification, etc.

Did ya get my message in steam?I found the issue.The class inheritance is ok.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:33 PM, ANZACSAS Steven said:

Did ya get my message in steam?I found the issue.The class inheritance is ok.

Hi Steven! I've updated my inheritance structure so people should no longer have issues if they run Splendid Lighting (or other major lighting mods) with my terrain, feel free to publish any lighting overhaul you'd like for Sa'hatra.

• Like 1

Ilove the map! May I ask, will it be compatible with Alive mod? 

On 8/25/2023 at 7:08 AM, Slofi said:

Ilove the map! May I ask, will it be compatible with Alive mod? 

Apparently it's been indexed in the ALIVE discord

• Like 1

Going to bluntly copy me feedback from Drongo's Discord server to here:
I wanted to go to Steam and give huge compliments to jujurat on their Sa'hatra map, but the commentary is disable. My gosh that map is beautiful! It's the first map I've seen yet in all these years that manages to capture a unique atmosphere in a really cool way. The desert wind, the sunrise and the looming sandstorm at the background really work nicely making the environment feel really something different. At least for what I've seen, this map is the first map providing believable Middle Eastern environment to design your scenario in. Wow! 5/5

^^

Adding to this; What an absolute gem! Thank you for your contribution. You Sir just made ArmA 3 to live another year again. Not sure if that's good or bad, but damn does it look great! I've already put together couple rough DMP/HAL missions and will likely keep working on more. It's just really such a cool environment to roam around.

T H A N K  Y O U !!!

• Like 4