Sign in to follow this  
Die Alive

Smith & wesson .50-caliber magnum

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Smith & Wesson introduces .50 caliber revolver

By Trudy Tynan, Associated Press, 2/13/2003 11:12

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) Dirty Harry is now outgunned: Smith & Wesson has introduced its biggest handgun ever, a .50-caliber Magnum.

The five-shot revolver with an 8Ë-inch barrel weighs about 4Ë pounds roughly a pound more than the big black .44 Magnum wielded by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movies. It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear.

The gun, which sells for $989, is one of nine new models Smith & Wesson introduced this week at a trade show in Orlando, Fla. President Roy C. Cuny said it was the largest number of new introductions in recent years.

Smith & Wesson first brought out the .44 Magnum in the 1950s.

Handgun sales have long been on the decline in the United States, and Smith & Wesson has struggled along with other gunmakers.

But Smith & Wesson, long the industry leader, also lost business in recent years after striking a deal with the government in 2000 to install safety locks on all its guns and change its marketing practices.

Other gunmakers decided not to follow Smith & Wesson's lead, and gun advocates accused the company of selling out.

In 2001, the ailing gunmaker was sold by its British owner to an Arizona startup company that all but abandoned the agreement with the government and adopted an aggressive marketing stance. <span id='postcolor'>

163500_lrg.jpg

500_cal_compare.jpg

Model: 500

Product Code: 163500

Caliber: 500 S&W Magnum®

Capacity: 5 Rounds

Barrel Length: 8-3/8â€

Frame Size: X-Frame

Action: Single Action/Double Action

Front Sights: Interchangeable Black Blade

Rear Sights: Micrometer Click Black Blade

Grips: Hogue Rubber-Energy Absorbing

Material: Stainless Steel

Finish: Satin Stainless

Overall Length: 15â€

Weight: 72.5 oz.

Press Release in pdf

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear. <span id='postcolor'>

Three times the muzzle energy of a .44? I've fired the .44 once in my life and found it to be completely worthless due to the recoil. Sure, you could hit someting with the first shot but a second shot on target is out of the question, at least if you are counting on rapid shooting. And they say this is three times worse wow.gif

No thank you, I prefer my 9mm smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Feb. 14 2003,18:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is the hunter version of the S&W 500

170231_lrg.jpg

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

mount a scope and a bipod on it and you'll have a possible replacement for some Magnums and other "heavy" revolvers used by the french CT units

i guess that one is better off as mini hunter's carbine than a handgun tounge.gif  biggrin.gif

S&W is reknown to make good revolvers, so hopefully this one is good.

and i like hunter's version better.

2600 ft/lb muzzle velocity!!!!!!

What on earth would you need THAT much for.

No thank you, I'll stick with my 30mm GAU-8. wink.gif

a-10-142479.jpg

What are you looking at? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 14 2003,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2600 ft/lb muzzle velocity!!!!!!

What on earth would you need THAT much for.<span id='postcolor'>

to fire through thin walls without risking too much deviation

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Feb. 14 2003,09:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear. <span id='postcolor'>

Three times the muzzle energy of a .44? I've fired the .44 once in my life and found it to be completely worthless due to the recoil. Sure, you could hit someting with the first shot but a second shot on target is out of the question, at least if you are counting on rapid shooting. And they say this is three times worse  wow.gif

No thank you, I prefer my 9mm smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If you actually hit what you are aiming at with this beast, what would you need follow-up shots for? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Feb. 13 2003,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Feb. 14 2003,09wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear. <span id='postcolor'>

Three times the muzzle energy of a .44? I've fired the .44 once in my life and found it to be completely worthless due to the recoil. Sure, you could hit someting with the first shot but a second shot on target is out of the question, at least if you are counting on rapid shooting. And they say this is three times worse  wow.gif

If you actually hit what you are aiming at with this beast, what would you need follow-up shots for?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly, i'd like to see how many people can continue runnign after getting hit by this gun...

gi-elite.jpg

dunno if the GIGN still uses this kind of toys , the one pictured above is either a modified (accurised) .357 magnum or a MR73 with the same kind of modifications

Wow, that's one big gun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Three times the muzzle energy of a .44? I've fired the .44 once in my life and found it to be completely worthless due to the recoil. Sure, you could hit someting with the first shot but a second shot on target is out of the question, at least if you are counting on rapid shooting. And they say this is three times worse.<span id='postcolor'>

That's probably why the 'Hunter' version has such a huge barrel, in order to keep felt recoil down, and giving the shooter a place to put his hand. I don't think that calibre would be designed with self-defence in mind. The sheer power of that thing would send the slug through the perp, then maybe a couple of walls in your home, maybe into another family member. (If the walls are drywall) Besides, if you ever fire that thing at night, the muzzle blast might blind you. wow.gif

I would buy a carbine if it was chambered for that round. (and if it was legal in Canada sad.gif )

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Feb. 14 2003,18:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear. <span id='postcolor'>

Dirty Harry would disagree vehemently.

wow

im still amazed by this thing. i guess if you get in CQB with a bear thats wearing kevlar, you might need that much stopping power. wow.gif

Can your ears actually survive the sound of such a canon? Looks rather noisy to me! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Feb. 14 2003,22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Feb. 14 2003,18wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 or enough stopping power to bring down a charging bear. <span id='postcolor'>

Dirty Harry would disagree vehemently.<span id='postcolor'>

So the question you gotta ask yourself is...do you feel lucky? Do you feel lucky, punk?

biggrin.gif

The most powerful pistol ur allowed in the uk stops at 6ft/lbs a mere 433 times less powerful than that magnum.

Found this while browsing for a suitably stupid image to replace my aging catapult in these threads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk/newsid_2198000/2198387.stm

They should of just stuck to robbing cars and hospitalizing old folk,lesser action taken by the police that way confused.gif

As for the new magnum why dont they have a muzzle brake to lower the recoil and the flash on such a revolver,bet the ammo costs a lot too.

I haven't seen anyone mention the .501 Super Linebaugh (sp?) It has a TKO of 52 and I believe thats still more than the Colt .50 mag.

Same link Renegade posted.

^ Just one of the reasons why I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, move to and live in the U.K.

The day that Orwellian crap gets to Canada, I'm out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for the new magnum why dont they have a muzzle brake to lower the recoil and the flash on such a revolver<span id='postcolor'>

Take a closer look at the picture.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Feb. 14 2003,14:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

As for the new magnum why dont they have a muzzle brake to lower the recoil and the flash on such a revolver,bet the ammo costs a lot too.<span id='postcolor'>

The hunter model does seem to have a ported barrel with a muzzle brake. But a muzzle brake does nothing to reduce the flash signature -- if anything, it increases it.

Looks like the .454 casull has been knocked off it's perch! I think S&W developed this because they wanted to have the most powerful gun again 'this is the .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and it can take your head clean off"... tounge.gif

One of my favourite six shooters is the Golden Bison, chambered in the 45-70 govt round.

AM457001.jpg

Searched all over the net, but couldn't find a pic of the gun. confused.gif I might scan one later from a magazine.

Baddest gun  is still the Linebaugh .500 ,and  modified rounds (50 Alaskan) You can read up on Linebaugh's lineup here. http://www.sixguns.com/range/Linebaugh.htm

The 50 Alaskan is a modified Linebaugh .500 round that has been lenghtened to about 2.1inches. The upper loads exceed 2000+ fps muzzle velocity and reach  4400 ft.lbs of muzzle energy.

Heres a comparison shot.

Shellsactualsize.jpg

Theres a Marlin 'rifle', and it shoots a Hornady 444 Light Magnum, and it generates nearly 1.5 tons of muzzle energy. wow.gif

But then again, its not made for pistol though.But the bullet is small enough(its about the same size as the picture of the 3 bullets being displayed up one post), to be shot from a pistol.

But the recoil would be to much. sad.gif

(Come to think of it, the bullet is alittle bigger then displayed one post above, so it probably wouldn't fit a pistol)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Feb. 15 2003,04:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Theres a Marlin 'rifle', and it shoots a Hornady 444 Light Magnum, and it generates nearly 1.5 tons of muzzle energy. wow.gif

But then again, its not made for pistol though.But the bullet is small enough(its about the same size as the picture of the 3 bullets being displayed up one post), to be shot from a pistol.

But the recoil would be to much. sad.gif

(Come to think of it, the bullet is alittle bigger then displayed one post above, so it probably wouldn't fit a pistol)<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm,...you say you want a revolver that fires .444 Marlin, huh?....

Well then...

Click Here