Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Thinking of military service

*high fives farmcoot*

see you there! biggrin.gif

I'm going AFROTC next year in college, then off to UPT to fly something big fast and loud.

how much school you got left?

I still have 3.5 agonizing years smile.gif

Damn how come everything worth while, takes f****** forever.

Just an update. I am now *cough* officially government property! wow.gif 12 Bravo Combat Engineer biggrin.gif I get to do some good old fashioned hard work, get my ass in shape, and the topper....learn some demolitions tounge.gif

Because if it didn't take forever it wouldn't be worthwhile  wink.gif

I'm joining the OTC next year too. I could have joined this year but I thought I'd relax in my first year, do the whole lazy good for nothing student thing.

After University, I'm thinking of joining the R.A.F. Try to get into chopper flight school. Hopefully I'll have my private liscence before then, so that should help a little.

Edit: Nice one Pins, congrats.

Great stuff- of course, until we get a war, you're going to be spending your time damming the Mississippi smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 28 2003,00:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great stuff-  of course, until we get a war, you're going to be spending your time damming the Mississippi  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol....yea, well, as far as "getting a war", i don't think the US will have to wait too long for that. confused.gif After the Super Bowl, i was watching the news and they said that "The US has said that it is prepared to fight a war with Iraq by itself". So, ya know. But i'm not starting another thread in here, so i'll stay on topic. I chose this job because....well....i'll get to blow shit up smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 27 2003,04:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 28 2003,00:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great stuff-  of course, until we get a war, you're going to be spending your time damming the Mississippi  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol....yea, well, as far as "getting a war", i don't think the US will have to wait too long for that. confused.gif After the Super Bowl, i was watching the news and they said that "The US has said that it is prepared to fight a war with Iraq by itself". So, ya know. But i'm not starting another thread in here, so i'll stay on topic. I chose this job because....well....i'll get to blow shit up smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why not go for a AC-130 gunship gunner position? Then youd really see explosions.... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. Duck @ Jan. 28 2003,01:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey pins, you finished boot camp already? (That fast?)  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

no, he's just picked his career, and soon he'll ship out for boot camp, then engineer school.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">12 Bravo Combat Engineer I get to do some good old fashioned hard work, get my ass in shape, and the topper....learn some demolitions <span id='postcolor'>

Unless things for engineers are drastically different in the U.S.:

Engineers = Hired hands.

You are now the property of the U.S. Army, enjoy the field work...........bitch. tounge.gif

*remembers the Lieutenant Engineer from Newfoundland who my friends and I slaughtered at Delerium Tabgall back when I was 18* biggrin.gif

Assault, an engineer is the same by any definition. But i am a combat engineer, i'll still be doing the same things, building fortifications and whatnot, but i also learn demo skills for things as taking down enemy forts and whatnot. Also i heard some talk of specialized vehicles for combat engineers, but i didn't get too far into it, going back to discuss a few things with my recruiter in a few days, then i'll know the exact specifics.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 28 2003,09:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also i heard some talk of specialized vehicles for combat engineers, but i didn't get too far into it, going back to discuss a few things with my recruiter in a few days, then i'll know the exact specifics.<span id='postcolor'>

Bulldozers. smile.gif

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Jan. 28 2003,16:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 28 2003,09:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also i heard some talk of specialized vehicles for combat engineers, but i didn't get too far into it, going back to discuss a few things with my recruiter in a few days, then i'll know the exact specifics.<span id='postcolor'>

Bulldozers.   smile.gif

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

can I get a hooah?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (farmcoot @ Jan. 28 2003,04:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how much school you got left?

I still have 3.5 agonizing years  smile.gif

Damn how come everything worth while, takes f****** forever.<span id='postcolor'>

3.5 years of college left

but i'm going to a tech school for pilots next year, so I'm definately going to enjoy it.

your senior year they'll let you build hours in their Citation jet. wow.gif they'll also hire you on as a flight instructor your 3rd year (if i remember correct).

anyway biggrin.gif you can tell i'm excited

nice to see another combat engineer smile.gif

it's one of the most wonderfull post in the army smile.gif

you get to make some nice stuff while on the field , like mine clearing and destruction of explosive ordonance smile.gif

no , but frankly , i did a really big part of my carreer in combat engineers and you get to do some neat stuff

ebg1.jpg

you get to use that ^^ in the french army smile.gif

152 big destruction mortar biggrin.gif

RAN why has that viechile got Dardanelles on the side was that unit in the Gallipoli campaign? sorry for the offtopic question just wondered

it's just the name of the vehicles , i don't know the units of the vehicle shown in the picture

dardanelles is AFAIK an archipelago

french tank/vehicle crews name their vehicles after towns , departements , places , regions , some names , just like regiment names are pretty famous and prestigious and the honor of wearing them comes back to the man who's distinguished himself the most , they're also a good recognition means

-edit- : i forgot , vehicles are also named after famous battles , and they often follow the regiment's history

this baby has been baptised Haiphong for exemple , it's from the 1st hunters regiment , formerly tank regiment of the expeditionnary corp in indochina :

pic

edit:ralphwiggum: pic size > 100kb

Pins, congrats on your enlistment, start running now! Also, some good advice for bootcamp, DON'T STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD! Learn to fade in, neither be too fast or too slow, too tall or too short, too smart or too stupid, it'll make your life a lot easier being unrecognizable during boot. The longer your D.I. goes without knowing your name, the better! Your going to love the challenges ahead of you, but make the most of them, after bootcamp do the best job you can do, even on the days when you feel like saying "fuck it." It will pay off for you in the end.

I think pins is in bootcamp now. talking about bootcamp. Hey ran, do you know (perhaps by chance) how foreign legion D.I.'s are? Are they total jerks? Or are they quite nice?

Clarifying for Mr. Duck again, i am not in boot camp yet. I don't ship off until April 1st. confused.gif Which is kinda disappointing because i wanted to get the hell outta here asap. O well, i guess i'll have to suck it up. It will give me more time to get in shape. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mr. Duck @ Jan. 28 2003,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think pins is in bootcamp now. talking about bootcamp. Hey ran, do you know (perhaps by chance) how foreign legion D.I.'s are? Are they total jerks? Or are they quite nice?<span id='postcolor'>

quite simple ..... you want to crush their faces with your boots and to make them eat their teeth

marines D;I are kittens compared to the pervert sadistic bastards i met , but it's apart of the training , and it creates really strong bonds between the men of the section

Pins, I hate to sound repetitive, but I mean it, start running! Everyone thinks they are in good enough shape until they get there, then they think "What the hell am I doing here?" Get a head start and really push yourself, because its going to make it that much easier when your D.I. pushes you WAY past where you think your limits are. Also, remember, the whole point of bootcamp is to break down the individual mentality and turn a group of disorganized civilians into a military minded team. Start thinking of yourself as part of a team, and it will go easier for you. The bitch about boot is that some guys get this right away, others it takes a little while, and some guys just never quite get it. Those are the guys who are going to make you suffer, because when they fuck up, YOU fuck up. So take the intiative and try and help them out, because in the end it will help you out. Anyway, just some helpful advice. Oh also, learn to sleep whenever you can. If you get any kind of a break, make sure you piss first and then get some rest. You will find you have hardly any time alloted for both of these necessary biological functions. I remember my first week. They told us we would get a piss break only twice a day, and they meant it. Also, after the daily routine and if you are unlucky, a duty assignment such as standing watch, your'e gonna end up getting about 4 hours sleep per night. Make up for that by eating wisely, lots of protein and food that won't make you queesy. Sorry for going on so long, but I wish I had been given some advice like this prior to shipping out!