Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Thinking of military service

ran, what do you know about big hoses of plastic explosive used to clear mines? I saw a video of them in the desert. they'd shoot out of a cannon and lay out across a minefield, then they'd blow it up to kill the mines. you ever done any work like that?

You mean something like this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">M58 Mine Clearing Line Charge (MICLIC)

DESCRIPTION: The MICLIC is a rocket projected explosive line charge which provides a "close-in" breaching capability for maneuver forces. It is effective against conventionally fused mines and, when detonated, it provides a lane 8 meters by 100 meters. The MICLIC system consists of an M353 3-1/2 ton or M200A1 2-1/2 ton trailer (or M200 tracked trailer) chassis, a launcher assembly, an M147 firing kit, an M58A3 line charge and a 5-inch MK22 Mod 4 rocket. The line charge is 350 feet long and contains 5 pounds per linear foot of composition C-4 explosive.

STATUS: The US Army approved acquisition of the US Marine Corps' M58A3 Trailer Mounted Line Charge as a non-developmental item in Dec 83. MICLIC was type classified in Aug 85. Fielding to USAREUR occurred in FY88. Fielding to NG units continues.

EMPLOYMENT CONCEPT: Engineer units employ MICLIC in response to minefield breaching requirements identified by the maneuver unit. A typical mission is as follows: The Engineer Company's MICLIC trailers are moved to a position designated by the maneuver commander and the line charge prepared for firing by an Engineer squad. Suitable combat vehicles tow the MICLIC trailers to the point of the breach. Movement to the firing site and execution is done under control of the breaching force commander. A second MICLIC may be fired from the breached lane if a longer breach is required. After firing, the empty trailer is reloaded with another line charge brought forward from the supply trains, if additional breaching missions are anticipated. It may also be towed to a preselected position and dropped for later recovery by support elements.

<span id='postcolor'>

thats the guy

i also saw a video of a man-carried version, thats not a job i'd enjoy! crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 30 2003,06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thats the guy

i also saw a video of a man-carried version, thats not a job i'd enjoy! crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, it's a brutally straight-forward solution to the minefield problem.

Which is very appealing about the air force, don't have to worry about that many minefields.

yeah i'm pretty sure that's what you'll say until a SAM missile is trying to ram you from behind tounge.gif

You've had some good advice so far Pins, take it to heart.

I won't really add to anything here but only reinforce: Get in shape. There is no important body group that you should focus most of your attention on, it's all important. Cardio, lower and upper body are all equally important in the Army, that and raw stamina. A sheer desire to be what you want to be in the Army helps as well. People who are in for the money or anything other than the gratification of being a soldier in your country's service don't last long. wink.gif

Also, enjoy your sleep while you can, they will deprive you of it every chance they get. When I got home from my training I slept for about 14 hours straight, and I was still tired wow.gif

Other than that, I hope you enjoy your time in the Army. Even though you might think of basic as living hell, people tend to look back when they are done and forget the bad things and realize that they are glad for having completed something so hard.

BTW, how long have you enlisted for?

Tyler

Actually i signed up for 3 years. But who knows, depending on what i learn and how much i like it, i just may stay in longer (unless i go to war and end up like Lt. Dan) Lt. Daaaaan....Ice Cream! *cough* But anyways....

I thank all you people for repeating the same thing over and over to me. And i'm not being sarcastic. It really helps it set in what i should expect. I've been having lots of people tell me all this, from family members who served, to all my brethren online. And i have to admit, i AM one of those people whos main selling point is the money. But don't get me wrong, if i just wanted money for college i'd try and sign up for FAFSA or something like that. I chose the army to get discipline. I've had a problem with authority my whole life. You could NEVER tell me what to do, if you ask, no problem. And please don't say "Well, you're in for a surprise my friend, because they are going to tell you what to do and not even think of asking". Ok, i know this, no need to tell me. I always know my place, and i will, undoubtedly, have no problem taking orders. Mainly because i want to not have a problem with authority. And this will surely be a giant stepping stone for me. Other then money and discipline, the experience should be enough to fill what little void may be left.

FSpilot : i've never approached too much these kinds of devices , they're more for the basic greenies , i've been taught about the wonders of the combat knife and nake hands so .... explosive trailers and stuff ... smile.gif

but i've often seen the AMX30 EBG mine dispenser at work and ..... it's really .... terrific smile.gif where it would take 1 hour to set a defensive perimeter around a house , the EBG makes you the same thing in less than 15 minutes ...

@pins

Oh ya, before me forgets, I've read somewhere that you shouldn't look straight into the eyes (eyeballing) of a D.I. It seems that he/she gets quite pissed if you do that (can someone confirm on this?). Just something that you should keep in the back of you're head though... smile.gif

Overall, good luck!

"ARE YOU EYEBALLIN ME BOY!?" mad.gif

Yes, indeed i'm pretty sure they don't like you looking at them in the eyes. The point of the stance attention is to stare off in the distance and through everything in your way, the mile long stare, if you will. So, eyeballing them shouldn't even be considered.

Guest BratZ

I am prolly older than most of you and I live in the US.My father was AirForce ,my nephew recently joined the Marines.

When I was in I was in my friend joined full time Army.

But anyways I am natural born skinny and am in great physical shape and can run till my body quits.

Do NOT join the military thinking you will get in shape.I hope you are already in shape before you go.I seen quiet a few people that couldn't handle it.

The Marines have been known to be the toughest branch of service, do not join unless you are willing to give your life for your country and consider yourself a fighting machine.And do not join expecting a deskjob.

(I have another friend that recently got out of the Marines after his time,he had bad legs and bad eyes and couldnt drive or fight and I always picked on him saying what kind of Marine is that?)

Marines have been known to be the first ones in,and all joking aside,if the Marines come back out...the war is over

Just remember in basic training,treat the drill sargent with respect (dont hate him)

And no matter how well you are doing,you may be told everyday you are the worse and suck and etc...

Its just a game to break you down,when I was in,thats what our drill sargent always said and the guys in my platoon were like you heard him,we are doing bad,we are the worse

I would always reassure my teammates by showing them how the other platoons were worse than us,our DS was lying!!!!

And pick your buddy well,my buddy was always sick and I had to carry his pack and clean his gun and such,lol

And don't pick the bed by the door,you will be the first on the floor when they wake you in the morning

And don't fall for the regular haircut,the drill sargent is waiting to send you back in,oh I said too much,spoiling the fun

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Jan. 31 2003,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am prolly older than most of you and I live in the US.My father was AirForce ,my nephew recently joined the Marines.

When I was in I was in my friend joined full time Army.

But anyways I am natural born skinny and am in great physical shape and can run till my body quits.

Do NOT join the military thinking you will get in shape.I hope you are already in shape before you go.I seen quiet a few people that couldn't handle it.

The Marines have been known to be the toughest branch of service, do not join unless you are willing to give your life for your country and consider yourself a fighting machine.And do not join expecting a deskjob.

(I have another friend that recently got out of the Marines after his time,he had bad legs and bad eyes and couldnt drive or fight and I always picked on him saying what kind of Marine is that?)

Marines have been known to be the first ones in,and all joking aside,if the Marines come back out...the war is over

Just remember in basic training,treat the drill sargent with respect (dont hate him)

And no matter how well you are doing,you may be told everyday you are the worse and suck and etc...

Its just a game to break you down,when I was in,thats what our drill sargent always said and the guys in my platoon were like you heard him,we are doing bad,we are the worse

I would always reassure my teammates by showing them how the other platoons were worse than us,our DS was lying!!!!

And pick your buddy well,my buddy was always sick and I had to carry his pack and clean his gun and such,lol

And don't pick the bed by the door,you will be the first on the floor when they wake you in the morning

And don't fall for the regular haircut,the drill sargent is waiting to send you back in,oh I said too much,spoiling the fun<span id='postcolor'>

how old are you ? smile.gif

and , if you're in a regular branch of service : repsect your DS , consider him like a father or a teacher , what he says is important and may save your live one day

and yeah , pick 1 buddy , the one with who you have the most affinities , but try to stay in good relation with the rest of the platoon , don't stay away from the group , the sooner everybody will know each other , the sooner the team spirit wil born

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 31 2003,05:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"ARE YOU EYEBALLIN ME BOY!?" mad.gif

Yes, indeed i'm pretty sure they don't like you looking at them in the eyes. The point of the stance attention is to stare off in the distance and through everything in your way, the mile long stare, if you will. So, eyeballing them shouldn't even be considered.<span id='postcolor'>

i remember that during my basic training , eyeballing was considered as a lack of respect and was severly punished , but what i liked is that after the 3 first weeks of training , your were kinda "allowed" to look at your instructor in the region of the face , like if you earned this right by passing through the first step of the training .... and in the end of the basic instrction , during the "great walk" the DI's were totally different , and they often helped us to make it

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 31 2003,12:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 31 2003,05:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"ARE YOU EYEBALLIN ME BOY!?" mad.gif

Yes, indeed i'm pretty sure they don't like you looking at them in the eyes. The point of the stance attention is to stare off in the distance and through everything in your way, the mile long stare, if you will. So, eyeballing them shouldn't even be considered.<span id='postcolor'>

i remember that during my basic training , eyeballing was considered as a lack of respect and was severly punished , but what i liked is that after the 3 first weeks of training , your were kinda "allowed" to look at your instructor in the region of the face , like if you earned this right by passing through the first step of the training .... and in the end of the basic instrction , during the "great walk" the DI's were totally different , and they often helped us to make it<span id='postcolor'>

I don`t think i`d be able to resist the temptation of eyeballing and pulling a stupid face at the drill guy wow.giftounge.gif

And when you get into combat one day, dont be in the end of the line, or in the front of the line, or next to the officer, radioman, AT soldier, or medic. Dont leave the boat to pee, dont poke your head up to see what that noise was, and finally if you get shot in the head and your helmet deflects the bullet, leave your helmet on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 31 2003,23:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you do things the old fashioned way, ran?<span id='postcolor'>

can't access it , it says "cannot display page"

what is it ?

a friend of mine e-mailed me the pic and .....

yes and no ...... i don't like using those nice stoves cuz they can trigger modern mines and you can't sometimes rely too much on them due to the nature of the ground

the only way , only real way , is to trace you path centimeter after centimeter with your knife by delicately planting it at a 20° angle in the ground and then you delicately dig (with your hands preferably) around the mine , but that only works with old models that are just basics foot pression ones , cuz ore modern mines have securities that will trigger the charge if you move the thing the wrong way smile.gif

i think that the easiest way is the MICLIC but they aren't too cheap and you don't always have under the hand , you can also call the yanks or any other country's forces that possess mine sweeping rollers to be used with tanks

Or you could do what I'd do and just strafe the area with an A-10.

That's bound to set off something. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 01 2003,07:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or you could do what I'd do and just strafe the area with an A-10.

That's bound to set off something. crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i'm not even sure i have the clearance to fire a .50 MG ...

then you'd have to use HE/HEI rounds ...

ah well, it was just a thought. tounge.gif

I have to give you some respect though ran, I'd be too nervous to hold a knife to do that kind of work.

Or do it the Army way, (The Right Way) and shoot the minefield up with some MLRS. biggrin.gif