Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Thinking of military service

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 25 2003,22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">advanced tank repair  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif

Then at least one OFP nut would know what is REALLY inside the CHOBHAM sandwich on an M1 tank biggrin.gif

Thats pretty cool, Pins. What MOS are you looking into?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 25 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have no idea what i'm going for yet. I can say i am NOT going for infantry. I need to prioritize a little, and that will not give me time to take classes at night, from what i was told. So, hopefully there will be a good job i can choose which is a little flexible but also fun, i don't want an office job. So, i'd somewhat on the cushy side, but something that will give my alot of skills to learn. Maybe something in demoltions! crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

For everyones benefit, go into what you think you have most talent for, or what you think you are "meant" for. That's mu only advice other than "wtf, are you nuts". tounge.gif

Would i be a friggin moron if i didn't know what MOS meant? tounge.gif You'd be surprised at how long it took me to figure out MEPS! NOBODY TELLS ME ANYTHING! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 25 2003,23:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would i be a friggin moron if i didn't know what MOS meant? tounge.gif You'd be surprised at how long it took me to figure out MEPS! NOBODY TELLS ME ANYTHING! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

erm, I think it means: Military Occupational Specialty

Well, as i already said, i am still not sure of what i will go for in the Army. I have to meet with a counselor and we'll talk for a little bit and see what interests me. Although, after waking up at 4am, i'm going to be sitting in the MEPS office for at least 3 hours, garunteed. Probably the worst part about joining the army, the waiting. God, you'd figure suched disciplined people as people in the military would hurry things up. The Marine captain that was there was probably the slowest mofo i've ever seen! O well. I hope i get something good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 25 2003,22:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Jan. 25 2003,16:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have no idea what i'm going for yet. I can say i am NOT going for infantry. I need to prioritize a little, and that will not give me time to take classes at night, from what i was told. So, hopefully there will be a good job i can choose which is a little flexible but also fun, i don't want an office job. So, i'd somewhat on the cushy side, but something that will give my alot of skills to learn. Maybe something in demoltions! crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

For everyones benefit, go into what you think you have most talent for, or what you think you are "meant" for.   That's mu only advice other than "wtf, are you nuts".  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

so PDS would goto Chem warfare related one? tounge.gif

congrats PDS smile.gif

If you choose the marines read this. It's something about boot camp and some tips about joining up.

edit:

Oh, and this is for you pins (army boot camp).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">/me does the happy dance.<span id='postcolor'>

You wont be doing that when you step off the bus at bootcamp. wink.gif

It doesn't matter what you go for in the Army, everyone is a soldier first before their trade of choice. If I was in your position I would go infantry, failing that, any combat arm will do, ie: tank crewman, artillery monkey, engineer, and so on. Why on Earth would anyone want to be a WOG or a REMF? tounge.gif

Better yet, if I was a young Yank, I would go through university and become an Army pilot. Apaches are cool. biggrin.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Jan. 25 2003,18:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so PDS would goto Chem warfare related one? tounge.gif

congrats PDS smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LMAO! biggrin.gif

Haha.... f**k, I can't make too much noise laughing at this hour.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Jan. 26 2003,04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Better yet, if I was a young Yank, I would go through university and become an Army pilot. Apaches are cool. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Army helo pilots start out as WO's. Don't even need a degree.

Semper Fi

How you go about becoming a chopper pilot in the Marines? Also, is it true that every Marine attends the school of Infantry?

Get a commission and apply for aviation. You're gonna need perfect uncorrected eyesight, though.

Only da grunts go to SOI. All other MOS's attend Marine Combat Training (MCT). MCT is physically located at the east & west coast SOI's, so technically all Marines "go to" SOI, but the training programs are vastly different for the 03's and the other MOS's.

Semper Fi

MCT is only about 2 weeks (give or take a few days) worth of basic combat skills; SOI is much more in-depth

I wear glasses for seeing at a distance so I guess aviation isn't going to be my thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Army helo pilots start out as WO's. Don't even need a degree.<span id='postcolor'>

Needless to say, a degree comes in handy when you decide to leave the Army.

Are U.S. Army pilots are allowed to have corrected eyesight?

Dunno bout Army aviation, but the Air force can have it (within certain limits i didn't quite understand, try asking an optician). It just MAY disqualify you from flying. But the worst thing was, they don't let you in as a pilot if you've had allergies past age 12. Probably something to do with the oxygen system, or not dying during training. There goes my dream of being a US pilot. Admittedly, i had very little chance of making it, being Irish, but it was a dream. If only Ireland had a decent airforce...

If I was in your position I'd go for the army, it's less wet smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supersheep @ Jan. 26 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There goes my dream of being a US pilot. Admittedly, i had very little chance of making it, being Irish, but it was a dream.<span id='postcolor'>

Don't get down on yourself bro- I always dreamed of being a leprechaun, but you know how it is sad.gif

biggrin.gif

Yeah, well i want to join the British Army Air Core. Or joint air core as it will be. Being a pilot is cushy but to get in you need to be perfect for it. i mean real perfect, not just great perfect. Got it, Apachies are fun Fun FUN!

Epita

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Jan. 25 2003,16:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But it's ok, I have no grudge against the army. Every military needs bullet stoppers smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Says who?

Kustjägarna? biggrin.gif

Join your countries airborne, you keep fit, have a go at a extreme sport and get paid for it. Speaking as a brit thats what i intend to do (Parachute regiment )

have got several mates who are in the army REME ,Anglian regiment and one who wants to be a marine mind you im still in college and only 19 so there proberley a lot of stuff that i neeed to know just yet

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 25 2003,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ Jan. 25 2003,14:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Marine Corps bootcamp is an absolute hell, especially if you end up going to Parris Island.<span id='postcolor'>

you haven't seen Castelnaudary ... it's not astonishing that after that step of their career , the légionnaires become tough stealth sadistic endurant bastards tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I've heard of that one

update me, are instructors still allowed to beat the living shit out of recruits? biggrin.gif

...whatever works I suppose biggrin.gif

Go Air Force,

Food is decent, Housing is unbelievably better, And some of the Jobs in the Air Force actually will help out your civilian career. The Air Force seemingly takes care of its people better than the other branches.

I am currently in the AF Reserves and am going to school on my MGIB- Selected Reserve. I don't get as much money as the AD MGIB, but It still covers all my tuition and books( 625/month smile.gif ) Once I get out of school and get my commision, I plan on going to flight school, If I play my cards right.