Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Thinking of military service

I was thinking about going into the military after High School and was wondering which one would be more beneficial, the US Army or the Marines.

I'm not totally sure yet but I just wanted to see if anyone could give some advice as the the pros and cons of each service.

BTW, I'm not one of those guys who wants to go for Spec Ops training. Probably do my 4 years with a Combat Unit and get out.

if you like the water and wanna say "OOH-RAH," join the Marines.

if you like the land and wanna say "HOOAH," join the Army.

biggrin.gif

join the french foreign legion tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 24 2003,23:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">join the french foreign legion tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

But is he good at running away?

Mwahahaha!

biggrin.gif

I would go for the Marines. Get a cushy job doing security detail on a carrier. smile.gif

french foreign legion never runs away ( see Camerone massacre 1863 , mexico )

The Army would be more beneficial from a materialistic standpoint.  

-- Bigger signing bonuses and more money for college.  

-- Easier training standards (for basic infantrymen, anyway -- the Rangers, on the other hand, are hard core).

-- Usually has newer, more expensive "toys."

-- More emphasis on "quality of life," e.g. newer barracks, etc.

On the other hand, the USMC places emphasis on intangibles.  "Honor, courage, committment," etc.  That's why I chose USMC PFC chevrons over Army butterbars after college.

Warin:  No more security forces aboard the carriers.  The "dets" (security force detachments) were deactivated a few years back and used to help form 2nd FAST Company.  On a side note, I would suggest that anyone going into the Corps as a grunt consider Security Forces and the FAST Companies in particular.  More trigger time and more interesting toys than the average grunt gets to see.

EDIT:  Cloney, dude:  You've GOT to take that "pizza box" out of your sig.  Can't you find a pic of the Expert badge?

wink.gif

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 24 2003,23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">french foreign legion never runs away<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it is the FOREIGN legion.

Sorry, couldn't resist. biggrin.gif

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Jan. 24 2003,23:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 24 2003,23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">french foreign legion never runs away<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it is the FOREIGN legion.

Sorry, couldn't resist. biggrin.gif

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

as i've already said , it's composed of more than 60% of frenchmen

it's the FRENCH foreign legion

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Jan. 24 2003,23:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Warin:  No more security forces aboard the carriers.  The "dets" (security force detachments) were deactivated a few years back and used to help form 2nd FAST Company.  <span id='postcolor'>

Doh!

I stand corrected!

biggrin.gif

Well, if I was a young American looking for a personal challenge, I'd go for the Marines over the Army. I might be wrong, butI've always gotten the impression that the marines are a 'tougher' outfit than the regular army (Excluding elite types like the Rangers, of course).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Jan. 24 2003,17:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">join the french foreign legion tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

christ.... no way man.. smile.gif

Technically, the marines are navy special forces. They're not a seperate branch of the military. They're like the navy's rangers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 25 2003,00:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Technically, the marines are navy special forces.  They're not a seperate branch of the military.  They're like the navy's rangers.<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm, no. The Navy has their own Special Forces. They are called The Seals. As far as I know, the Marines fall under the umbrella of the Navy Department, but they are considered a seperate branch of the US Armed Services.

Heh. I cant wait for a Marine to see this. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Jan. 25 2003,00:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh. I cant wait for a Marine to see this.<span id='postcolor'>

mad.gif

J/K.  It's a common misperception, but we're a separate branch.  The Commandant's on the Joint Chiefs and everything!

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Jan. 25 2003,00:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Jan. 25 2003,00:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Technically, the marines are navy special forces.  They're not a seperate branch of the military.  They're like the navy's rangers.<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm, no. The Navy has their own Special Forces. They are called The Seals.   As far as I know, the Marines fall under the umbrella of the Navy Department, but they are considered a seperate branch of the US Armed Services.

Heh. I cant wait for a Marine to see this.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, Department of the Navy. The Mens department. biggrin.gif

No Offense Othin biggrin.gif

Join the air force,u probably get more pay and will enjoy whizzing about the skys while the grunts chow down on turds below tounge.gif

ps,don`t u get french citezenship after doing the 5 year period in the forign legion ?

Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Teams.  Also sarcastically referred to by members as:

-- Fake-Ass SEAL Team

-- Field-day And Some Training

-- Field-day Antibacterial Scrub Team

FAST

More FAST

Semper Fi

go for the one that pays more - probably if it's like Britain that would mean getting a education and going in as an officer - less pointless marching and shouting that way.

I'd say go for the marines. That's my second choice of career (first would be airforce). In my country, marines seem to be sended out the most (with the exclusion of the army specops) for operations abroad, while most army units stay home.

(correct me if I'm wrong though)

I could've sworn the marines were a subdivision of the navy. Oh well. Learn something new every day.

Now if I could just figure out where babies come from I'll be set.

I do know that I'm joining the Marines, whether it be before or after college. Military service is something that I think is- not so much an obligation, but definitely something that you should consider doing, as part of your citizenship in your respective country.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 25 2003,03:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do know that I'm joining the Marines, whether it be before or after college. Military service is something that I think is- not so much an obligation, but definitely something that you should consider doing, as part of your citizenship in your respective country.<span id='postcolor'>

I definitley agree. I know that some members of my family served with Army Airborne Units, Special Forces and LRRP Units with the Army. (There is a new name for LRRPs these days, I think its LERSA or something.)

Im not sure how comfortable my parents would be with my choice though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Jan. 25 2003,03:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Jan. 25 2003,03:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do know that I'm joining the Marines, whether it be before or after college. Military service is something that I think is- not so much an obligation, but definitely something that you should consider doing, as part of your citizenship in your respective country.<span id='postcolor'>

I definitley agree. I know that some members of my family served with Army Airborne Units, Special Forces and LRRP Units with the Army. (There is a new name for LRRPs these days, I think its LERSA or something.)

Im not sure how comfortable my parents would be with my choice though.<span id='postcolor'>

LRRP's are Rangers nowadays. smile.gif

You want a good 4 years, go Air Force. Save money for collage, see the world, don't get cold.