Sign in to follow this  
Rastavovich

Rah-66 comanche released

@Waffendennis

Don't get me wrong, but chopper pilots dont have O2-masks.

The rest of your suggestions we will think about.

The other DKM choppers have downwash, the Comanche doesn´t. 2700 benchmark.

IMHO....

This is a very cool addon, the cockpit, landing gear, deathspin, computer voice and bay are all extremely nice. I especially like the way the AI uses the bay and gear!

But aside from the scripts, the helicopter is slightly...mediocre.

The model is good, but it could be better. The textures are toylike and clean and the model is a bit simple. (yeah yeah, I know that the real RAH-66 is pretty flat too) It could be smoother around the edges, and the...thing that the rotors are attached to spins out of sync with the rotors. Shouldn´t it have dark green camo? And the 20mm is overpowered and sounds totally wimpy tounge.gif

Why does the smoke from the 20mm fall towards the ground even though I´m hovering?

Bugs:

1. Sometimes I can see myself on my own radar. Only in 3rd person view.

2. When I change from laser designator to cannon, the laser is still on with the same crosshair and everything. I can still fire the cannon, but my A-10 bomber squadmate drops his payload on trees if I accidentally point my crosshair at them.

But I really want that downwash, why do the other DKM choppers work and not this one!? sad.gif

But overall, a great addon that incorporates a lot of revolutionary and cool stuff! Keep up the good work! smile.gif

I see the downwash-script is the same script you used for the other choppers. .....there's a serious bug in it.

Try it with a chopper which is out of fuel and it will make any computer go down on its knees and beg for you to hit the reset-button confused.gif

When a chopper is out of fuel your downwash-script (dmm_duster.sqs) creates an infinity-loop with dust very fast.

I recomend you to fix it or take it out of the mod.

Maybe add a line that checks if the engine is on...cus I don't think there is a "somefuel" or "getfuel" command in ofp.

I find the bitchin'betty-sounds to be way too loud, maybe decrease the level by 3-4db (no need to give the pilot a permanent hearing-loss) wink.gif

Other than that, your Comanche is very well done smile.gif

Handling is great, cool sounds, very nice model, good balance (weapon-power and quantity), cool MFDs.

btw... I was'nt aware of that the pilot sits down front and the gunner up back. Is that correct for the RAH66 ? Usually its the other way around for other gunships.

If anyone doesn't get the downwash effects on their computer because it is too slow i would suggest going here:

http://home.arcor.de/vektorboson/en/index.html

There is a downwash script there which works well. The DKM downwash slows down my computer but this script doesn't make a noticable difference.

One request from a Mother Rucker hoverlover smile.gif

Take that damned Jarhead patch offa that ARMY rotary-wing aircraft, whatindalivinhellisdamattawithyou?

Other than that, a sweet little bird.

@Shadow

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I see the downwash-script is the same script you used for the other choppers. .....there's a serious bugin it.<span id='postcolor'>

No, that are not the same scripts, they are based on the same script but the Comanche ones has some benchmarkcheckers inside.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When a chopper is out of fuel your downwash-script (dmm_duster.sqs) creates an infinity-loop with dust very fast.

Maybe add a line that checks if the engine is on...cus I don't think there is a "somefuel" or "getfuel" command in ofp.<span id='postcolor'>

1) a "getfuel" command exists, it is simply called "Fuel"

2) the script checks for enginestatus

3) I can't reproduce this error here

Was that error in MP or on SP?

Generally, since a lot off ppl seem to have trouble with the downwash I will look again in that script, maybe I oversaw something.

someone else stated this somewhere before...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take that damned Jarhead patch offa that ARMY rotary-wing aircraft, <span id='postcolor'>

22.jpg

sorry... but it DOES seem to be flying for marines also (maybe they are borrowing pilots from the army?)

See previous page, someone made a screenie that looks pretty convincing.. carrier based comanches dont seem such a ridiculous idea to me...

because others were allready working on a comanche i chose to use this colorscheme.

21.jpg

simple reason: an attempt to avoid overlapping models and consideration with other mods.

p.s. the olive colored rah-66 would have been easier to do.

@avonlady:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Problem: I tried this in a user made destroy-the-convoy type mission. I had a T80 targeted but missiles and then MGs kept shooting (accurately) another armor unit next to the target-indicated one. Bug?

<span id='postcolor'> is that reproducable? we have been testflying and tank/helo busting pretty intensively and never encountered such an event... are you sure its not in the mission?

Great Addon...

However, when it goes into its random spin, it seems a little jumpy. Its not my framrate either, I can without "jumps" turn my head.

I think what would be really great to add to the chopper is a new pilot to go with it. Otherwise the chopper is very very good.

About the downwash error:

I was wrong about it being limited to Desert Island. It also happened in another mission I made on malden. Maybe it conflicts with another addon or something, I dunno, but whenever downwash is supposed to occur, everyone gets an error at the top of the screen with the "drop" command.

Strange thing, is that it works find on another coop mission I made on malden.

Also, the radar jammer seems to sometimes keep going in MP due to lag or something sometimes, and players can't lock onto anything. Even when it's off, other players cannot lock onto a commanche by clicking on it or anything.

Any ideas?

Gen.Carnage

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">did you make a screenie?  i'd love to see that  <span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately i didn't, i was too busy watching him firing the missile to think about making a few screen shots.

I'll give it a try tonight, shouldn't be to hard to do again... maybe he will fire the canon if all the missiles are gone, then it would really be a death blossom.

hidds.gif

pilot helmet for rah-66

I hope BIS will fix their mi-24 and V-80 with retractable gears like this great addon biggrin.gif

Great job!

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the pilot sit in the back and the gunner sit in front?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Woulff @ Jan. 23 2003,06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great job!

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the pilot sit in the back and the gunner sit in front?<span id='postcolor'>

not for RAH-66 smile.gif

click here for punishment (color it)! crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Jan. 22 2003,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find the bitchin'betty-sounds to be way too loud, maybe decrease the level by 3-4db (no need to give the pilot a permanent hearing-loss) wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ummm too loud?. . with headphones on i cant hardly hear her. .if there wasnt text and a warning beep i wouldnt know. . i here very faintly "warning" is a slight wisper. . .so i have NFC waht ur talkin bout

DKM think about my suggestion for the squad logo

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gen.Carnage @ Jan. 22 2003,19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">someone else stated this somewhere before...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Take that damned Jarhead patch offa that ARMY rotary-wing aircraft, <span id='postcolor'>

22.jpg

sorry... but it DOES seem to be flying for marines also (maybe they are borrowing pilots from the army?)

See previous page, someone made a screenie that looks pretty convincing.. carrier based comanches dont seem such a ridiculous idea to me...

because others were allready working on a comanche i chose to use this colorscheme.

p.s. the olive colored rah-66 would have been easier to do.

@avonlady:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Problem: I tried this in a user made destroy-the-convoy type mission. I had a T80 targeted but missiles and then MGs kept shooting (accurately) another armor unit next to the target-indicated one. Bug?  

<span id='postcolor'> is that reproducable? we have been testflying and tank/helo busting  pretty intensively and never encountered such an event... are you sure its not in the mission?<span id='postcolor'>

marines.jpg

USMC has red. .in your pic. .i c no red. .instead i see this. . .

army.jpg

(whoops u did get all 5 heheh

and as far as the olive drab. . ..umm if its easier (and more realistic) then. .uh. .why didnt you do it?

and lastly the army does "lend out" its helos to delta, marines, and other branches and "groups" but they dont place a new logo on it. .its stil an RAH66 ARMY helo. . .with army pilots in an army aircraft

I have only found one bug with it.

When ever I get the master caution alarm my gunner bails out asap(no prob there smart thing to do) sometimes I can milk it in for a landing, once I was totally out of control but I accidently hit Engine On instead of Eject and I regained complete control. Anyways, once I've landed it and repaired it my gunner simply will not get back in. No matter what I do. The thing it totally fly able, it's back in mint condition there is no reason for him not to get back in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rattler @ Jan. 23 2003,01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have only found one bug with it.

When ever I get the master caution alarm my gunner bails out asap(no prob there smart thing to do) sometimes I can milk it in for a landing, once I was totally out of control but I accidently hit Engine On instead of Eject and I regained complete control. Anyways, once I've landed it and repaired it my gunner simply will not get back in. No matter what I do. The thing it totally fly able, it's back in mint condition there is no reason for him not to get back in.<span id='postcolor'>

mabe you forgot to take a shower b4 take off and u stink tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rastavovich @ Jan. 22 2003,22:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@Shadow

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I see the downwash-script is the same script you used for the other choppers. .....there's a serious bugin it.<span id='postcolor'>

No, that are not the same scripts, they are based on the same script but the Comanche ones has some benchmarkcheckers inside.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When a chopper is out of fuel your downwash-script (dmm_duster.sqs) creates an infinity-loop with dust very fast.

Maybe add a line that checks if the engine is on...cus I don't think there is a "somefuel" or "getfuel" command in ofp.<span id='postcolor'>

1) a "getfuel" command exists, it is simply called "Fuel"

2) the script checks for enginestatus

3) I can't reproduce this error here

Was that error in MP or on SP?<span id='postcolor'>

I suggest you check the fuel in addition to the engine then.

If a chopper is out of fuel and you hit "engine on" then the engine-status will be triggered even if the engine is'nt on.

To reproduce:

go into the editor make yourself a comanche and name it "h1"

Then make a trigger activated by radioalpha and on it's onactivation you put h1 setfuel 0

Then start the mission, start the engine and call radioalpha.

Or simply put a comanche there with an empty tank and try start that engine.

You'll see what I'm talking about. A solid wall of dust that lag down the computer.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask smile.gif

Oh and bitchin'betty is very loud... wink.gif

If you for any reason are unable to reproduce this, can you tell me how you made the config.bin so I can get in there and disable the script on my end? -my notepad don't like bin-files

That is one thing that suprised me... they (DKM team) are still using the standard 4 blade rotor wash textures.... in both the main rotor, and the fenestron (tail rotor)

any plans to update this carny?

I also have to agree with too tall, that is definately an Army insignia, i have not seen any official info regarding whether or not the Marine Corps is planning to procure the RAH-66, no news briefs, no press releases, and no concept art... confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (~Too Tall~ @ Jan. 23 2003,06:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Jan. 22 2003,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find the bitchin'betty-sounds to be way too loud, maybe decrease the level by 3-4db (no need to give the pilot a permanent hearing-loss) wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ummm too loud?. . with headphones on i cant hardly hear her. .if there wasnt text and a warning beep i wouldnt know. . i here very faintly "warning" is a slight wisper. . .so i have NFC waht ur talkin bout

DKM think about my suggestion for the squad logo<span id='postcolor'>

Well u got ear problems because the bitching betty is loud enough to get sick of it, specially the to low as i always fly low

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Jan. 23 2003,13:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well u got ear problems because the bitching betty is loud enough to get sick of it, specially the to low as i always fly low<span id='postcolor'>

Well that's why they call her "bitch'n betty". smile.gif

Personally I think it's fine, although the addon would probably irritate less people without her voice.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Everyone is going back and forth about the insignia on the helicopter.

How about this for a solution: Changable insignias, like what was done on the slicks in the NAM Pack. Then everyone could have their cake and eat it too.

Maybe another version that only carries hellfires. Instead of rocket pods it would have three hellfires in each of the opening weapon bays. Well, that is if it is possible in the OFP game engine to move the missles that detach from the aircraft when fired.

How can you exactly know what that insignia is? Its is barely noticeable in the shot and hard to determine. How can you tell?

Anyways, I like this mod. Keep up the good work.