Gunter Severloh

AI Facts & Myths Compilation List

4 minutes ago, snkman said:

What sound source exactly do you mean? 

Could be an AI or player shooting a gun, but the AI that dont see who is doing the shooting cant identify if its friend or foe shooting unless they have a line of site correct?

6 minutes ago, snkman said:

A.I. enemy to the mortar and within audible hearing range to the mortar firing sound will be aware of the mortar.

Ya but are they able to determine if its from their side or the enemy side and then respond accordingly?

7 minutes ago, snkman said:

As far as i know A.I. does not react to any death screams or voices in general.

Ok i had figured that so i will make that False on the list, unless someone else comes on and can verify it that they do.

What about radio protocols like when the AI say "move im covering" does the AI in the team hear that and respond accordingly, i mean what sense

does it have to have them saying that if they dont actually respond to it

and its really their to add more ambient "immersion" for the AI.

10 minutes ago, snkman said:

If you use a smoke shell / grenade A.I. does not react to it. ( Back in the days i created a A.I. feature which does exactly this make A.I. react to any kind of smoke shell / grenades nearby ) 

If you use a greanade the explosion of the nearby grenade will trigger A.I. to get into "COMBAT" behaviour but this will be pretty much the same as if you shoot very close to their position.

So i don't think there is any A.I. behaviour / reaction used for this specific kind of situation.

They do react to grenades as you said and triggers them into combat, but do they target the sound as in aim or look in the direction of the explosion?

Ya but are they able to determine if its from their side or the enemy side and then respond accordingly?

Yes they are able to determine if its enemy or friendly.

What about radio protocols like when the AI say "move im covering" does the AI in the team hear that and respond accordingly, i mean what sense

does it have to have them saying that if they dont actually respond to it

and its really their to add more ambient "immersion" for the AI.

Most of the radio protocols you are talking about are triggered by script commands.

So if you for example give A.I. a move command the group leader will say "All move to this position" of if you change the A.I. group formation the A.I. group leader will tell this to his units by just using the <group setFormation "LINE"> command for example.

B.I.S. is using some more micro A.I. behaviours where they do pretty much the same.

So most of the time those radio protocols are triggered by any kind of command to fit what ever A.I. is about to do.

They do react to grenades as you said and triggers them into combat, but do they target the sound as in aim or look in the direction of the explosion?

Nope.

They switch to "COMBAT" behaviour which makes them go prone and scan the area for any kind of enemy but they will not react in any other way to the grenade explosion than to any other kind of threat which to me makes pretty much sense because the grenade in my case was thrown from behind the enemy A.I. group facing away from my position.

So if they all would just look / focus at the explosion of the grenade i could very easily just go ahead and shoot them point blank into their back. :icon2:

• Like 1

Nice!

Thanks for the information and insights, i added these to the list as well, so added the statement and then if they needed more explaining they were added

to a spoiler underneath to further clear up what was asked. Cheers! Snkman thanks for your help!

Update

• Added a video to the AI Detection: Visibility category for the AI without direct LOS will only fire for a limited amount of time, and will stop firing - TRUE  statement.
  • Added a video to the AI Detection: Vegetation category under the AI cannot see through vegetation - TRUE statement.
  • Increased font size from 14 to 16 on all the True, False, and Unknown statements to help them to be better seen/standout.
  • Added Notes title in red to those areas that had notes after a statement.
  • Made bold and reduced the font size to 12 for those version numbers, dates and some notes after some statements.
  • Adjusted the spacing, indent of paragraphs in the areas where there were some and larger amounts of notes to better able to read them.
  • Removed a couple of spoilers with notes in them and moved the notes in their empty spaces.
  • Found and fixed (idk how that happened 😄 ) one statement that was missing a True, False, & unknown answer.

Hopefully that doesn't make the thread's categories to gaudy as my mother would say, lol and allows one to see better the statements and get the info they came for.

Happy New Years!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1