Jump to content
Lord of Ruin

Old school, but so old I might as well be ancient.

Recommended Posts

Yes, ahem, well, uhh this is my first post here, of which will most likely be many. I do admit, it has been a really long time since I submitted anything to a BI forum, so please, mea culpa, forgive me.

 

I have spent the past 18 years watching BI's baby grow into the amazing creature that it is. Via bloody YouTube of all places. Yes, please, feel free to castigate me all you like, in fact, find me in game and make me work it off .

 

It's not that I didnt want to play, just that life got in the way, and I found console gaming to ease the itch when I found that valued hour, or two, between life, parenting, and work.

 

I did play OPF/RH/Resistance religiously in my youth, and modded many a machine to give me that draw distance we all know we needed.

 

I participated in the community that has given so much, both to BI, and to us as players. I helped with mods, custom missions, scripts, and above all gave many virtual wristys to the BAS mod team who made the first iterations of BI's creations that much more exciting. 

 

And then, well, life got in the way.

 

I am now however in the position to get back amongst the games that I loved in my youth, and with my latest custom build, and the very first Steam purchase, namely ARMA3 APEX, I am so keen I am still wiping the jizz off my 65" 4K OLED monitor after I kicked off the tutorial about an hour ago.

 

What else can I say, holy jizz stains, this thing is just amazing. Anyway, enough with the jizz, and on with the biz.

 

I am looking forward to once again engaging with this community, and also participating in whatever I can help with. I am unaware of where the BAS team moved onto, whether they are still around under another label, or like me just had life take its way, but I am keen to mod, script, and edit my way to many hours of fun and frustration, if that is still available that is. 

 

For those who still remember the glory days, please, by all means, say hi, tell your tales, and enlighten me as to where I can pick up again. I have around 2gb of original OPF+dlc mods/scripts/custom edits to share if you want to ever revisit the old days, not that the originals may even work on todays machines, but if the mod tools are still the same (I doubt it) then maybe I have something to help us all.

 

Say hi, feel free to call me old as f*ck, and bring the banter, because banter kept things alive back then, and it keeps me alive now.

 

Cheers.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only ever played Arma 3, so I wasn't around back in the old days, but none the less, welcome back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stburr91 said:

I've only ever played Arma 3, so I wasn't around back in the old days, but none the less, welcome back.

 Well, aren't you lucky.

 

Back then things looked pretty damn good considering the limitations of the hardware. Now, well, now 4K everything in ULTRA at 80+fps is something I never imagined possible.

 

Thanks for saying Hi, feel free to point me to the assembly areas for squads, give me a week to get back into the flow,  and I will show ya how us old dinosaurs do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back, another OFP player here. You'll soon find out that there's probably more of OFP in Arma 3 than you would wish 😉

 

Nevertheless, Arma 3 is a great game. I kind of jumped from OFP to Arma 3 because the other Arma's had not made enough progression in design IMO. For me Arma 3 was worth getting into again, I knew it would be thousands of hours..

 

If you like the sandbox aspects of Arma, meaning a large variety of play, I can recommend getting basically all of the DLC's, there's so much interesting stuff in there.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to hear that you are back. I have a 4-5 year experience in ArmA series. Mission/campaign creating is my speciality along with playing other user-made content. I am now 17 so I missed the good ol' OFP days. However, I bought OFP from Steam some years ago and I was truly amazed by that gem! Some folks play CoD/BF/Apex Legends/PUBG but I have not stopped playing ArmA and I won't, ever!

 

So, nice to have you back, sir! If you want to try some good A2 content be sure to ask me if you want and I can recommend some nice stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome back.

 

I too started with OFP (played the demo for several weeks before its release)

But I never put it away and progressed with every iteration up to now.

Didn't get into the addon/scripting side though.

 

Its been a bumpy road at times with it getting frustrating enough to stop me playing for a few days at a time but I always came back to it.

 

Currently ARMA3 is quite good even with a few of the old AI bugs/problems.

The AI are challenging with a well set up mission.

 

Not sure if BAS are still around but there are a few good groups out there.

 

Good luck and enjoy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lord of Ruin Many of us OFP vets are still around. I know of at least one BAS member that's still around, and that's Fer. The newer folks will know him from his work on the F3 Mission Development Framework
 


An observation (and personal opinion) that I'll make is that the newer crowd are less patient and less forgiving than we were (are). I'll gladly low crawl for a mile or wait under a bush for an hour, but the newer players just want to run everywhere they go and carry way too much gear. 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joostsidy said:

Welcome back, another OFP player here. You'll soon find out that there's probably more of OFP in Arma 3 than you would wish 😉

 

Nevertheless, Arma 3 is a great game. I kind of jumped from OFP to Arma 3 because the other Arma's had not made enough progression in design IMO. For me Arma 3 was worth getting into again, I knew it would be thousands of hours..

 

If you like the sandbox aspects of Arma, meaning a large variety of play, I can recommend getting basically all of the DLC's, there's so much interesting stuff in there.

 

The sandbox aspect is what makes it for me mate, having that freedom is what makes this software unique.

 

Although the DLC stuff used to be handled by the community, it seems BI took that on notice and used it to their advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kalle M. said:

Nice to hear that you are back. I have a 4-5 year experience in ArmA series. Mission/campaign creating is my speciality along with playing other user-made content. I am now 17 so I missed the good ol' OFP days. However, I bought OFP from Steam some years ago and I was truly amazed by that gem! Some folks play CoD/BF/Apex Legends/PUBG but I have not stopped playing ArmA and I won't, ever!

 

So, nice to have you back, sir! If you want to try some good A2 content be sure to ask me if you want and I can recommend some nice stuff!

Thank you kind sir.

 

I like the latest round of stuff for the consoles, but they have their limitations and I can't mod my console haha. Well, ahem, not really anyway.

 

I will definitely keep your A2 suggestions in mind when I get there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EDcase said:

Hi and welcome back.

 

I too started with OFP (played the demo for several weeks before its release)

But I never put it away and progressed with every iteration up to now.

Didn't get into the addon/scripting side though.

 

Its been a bumpy road at times with it getting frustrating enough to stop me playing for a few days at a time but I always came back to it.

 

Currently ARMA3 is quite good even with a few of the old AI bugs/problems.

The AI are challenging with a well set up mission.

 

Not sure if BAS are still around but there are a few good groups out there.

 

Good luck and enjoy...

Cheers mate.

 

One thing I did notice was the AI in the tutorial, it was on forced regular, and I managed but there were two surprises which made me question my choice to play solo in veteran mode. 

 

The scripting side was something I enjoyed. It took me about a week of real hate before I figured out I could create templates to drop in and modify to suit, especially for camera and object triggers which often worked as planned but it was frustrating watching a 90 second cut scene ruined at 79 seconds because I didnt have the camera looking the right way. Writing walls of text into a file gets tedious when you have to go back and figure out why you didn't reverse the perspective to get that perfect shot.

 

I didn't expect BAS to be around tbh but apparently Fer is still in the game, I really expected to hear that they were all offered jobs with BI, maybe BI just took their ideas onboard and moved on from there...

 

I will enjoy, I have 10 hours to play today. I jave my supplies, I am fair dinkum gonna be hootin and hollerin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

@Lord of Ruin Many of us OFP vets are still around. I know of at least one BAS member that's still around, and that's Fer. The newer folks will know him from his work on the F3 Mission Development Framework
 


An observation (and personal opinion) that I'll make is that the newer crowd are less patient and less forgiving than we were (are). I'll gladly low crawl for a mile or wait under a bush for an hour, but the newer players just want to run everywhere they go and carry way too much gear. 

 

Hey dude, it's good to know I am not the only dinosaur here that lived through the glory days of Armstrong and Viktor. I recently watched Generation Kill and a familiar voice was featured throughout the series, it was nostalgic to say the least.

 

And yes, patience isn't something the kids these days have been made to learn, its all about insta gratification and fancy cosmetics via micro transactions.

 

I actually just noticed that BI actually archived all the forum posts from back in the day, I came across The Avon Ladys posts in the CWC addons section, what a spin out. If I remember correctly, this is your original handle yeah? I am pretty sure I have a custom multiplayer map of your on Kolgujev, fighting up and over the mountain to blow up a firebase? It has been a long time man, a really long time.

 

I am trying to find my old handle here, is there any way to search the userbase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

@Lord of Ruin Many of us OFP vets are still around. I know of at least one BAS member that's still around, and that's Fer. The newer folks will know him from his work on the F3 Mission Development Framework
 


An observation (and personal opinion) that I'll make is that the newer crowd are less patient and less forgiving than we were (are). I'll gladly low crawl for a mile or wait under a bush for an hour, but the newer players just want to run everywhere they go and carry way too much gear. 

 

Hey dude, it's good to know I am not the only dinosaur here that lived through the glory days of Armstrong and Viktor. I recently watched Generation Kill and a familiar voice was featured throughout the series, it was nostalgic to say the least.

 

And yes, patience isn't something the kids these days have been made to learn, its all about insta gratification and fancy cosmetics via micro transactions.

 

I actually just noticed that BI actually archived all the forum posts from back in the day, I came across The Avon Ladys posts in the CWC addons section, what a spin out. If I remember correctly, this is your original handle yeah? I am pretty sure I have a custom multiplayer map of your on Kolgujev, fighting up and over the mountain to blow up a firebase? It has been a long time man, a really long time.

 

I am trying to find my old handle here, is there any way to search the userbase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's your old handle and I'll see if I can find it for you. I played with a few Aussies back in the day, the most memorable was igeighty back in A1 (Arma, the successor to OFP). He ran a Domination server. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

@Lord of Ruin Many of us OFP vets are still around. I know of at least one BAS member that's still around, and that's Fer. The newer folks will know him from his work on the F3 Mission Development Framework
 


An observation (and personal opinion) that I'll make is that the newer crowd are less patient and less forgiving than we were (are). I'll gladly low crawl for a mile or wait under a bush for an hour, but the newer players just want to run everywhere they go and carry way too much gear. 

 

 

 You must have really loved FDF missions then. Like a 30 minute jog to just to get to the intital launching point. Use to play those in between real workout days and considered it cardio. YOUR The Avon Lady??! Wow thats really a flashback. Miss that old tag, between that and M1lkman felt so wholesome back then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAHAHA, I missed that!

No, I am not The Avon Lady, she is happily retired in Israel the last time I heard. 

Also, I've not made anything that is publicly available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha yeah i could have sworn she was an actual woman. Very cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that woman was really active in the forums back then, and some of her missions were pretty good.

 

I tried searching one of my handles, which was McNuggy_LMC, the other was Bravo 6 i think, but I cant find either which is a shame, I have a heap of old hard drives that I need to revisit, I am sure I will find my original logins although I dont have access to the hotmail accounts as Microsoft deleted both due to inactivity which sucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back LoR.  Its still a good community.  OFP changed gaming for me forever.  I used to haunt the OFPEC editing site (back then I was intimidated by the OFP BIS forum).  I remember how proud I was when I published my first OFP Burning Barrels script, and General Baron complimented me on it.  Ha. 

 

Remember THobson's "Abandoned Armies" mission?   That was an amazing work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do remember that mission! And OPFEC was a bit more relaxed, thanks for reminding me of that site, I might google it to see if ut us still active, I may find my old handles there.

 

There was another great mission called "Retribution" iirc, it was on the Tonali map, used the BAS hueys and the fastrope script, I can't recall who published it but it was a great, long, mission.

 

I have been messing around with the Eden editor, it took an hour or so to get back into the swing of it, but I am enjoying the new interface, now to open up the text editor and start the grind.

 

At the risk of sounding lazy, are there any templates available here for camera, area trigger, and spawn triggers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lord of Ruin said:

At the risk of sounding lazy, are there any templates available here for camera, area trigger, and spawn triggers?

Have a close look at all the editor functions, there are lots of modules and settings for spawn and other stuff. Entire game modes are modules! As an old schooler myself, my reflex is to start scripting immediately, where often it is not necessary.

 

The 3den Enhanced editor mod helps with an expansion of the normal editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joostsidy said:

Have a close look at all the editor functions, there are lots of modules and settings for spawn and other stuff. Entire game modes are modules! As an old schooler myself, my reflex is to start scripting immediately, where often it is not necessary.

 

The 3den Enhanced editor mod helps with an expansion of the normal editor.

 

Cheers mate.

 

I came across Enigmas script editor, yet to give it a try,  was thinking of using it as a base template designer that I can tweak along the way. Notepad it seems is still the best way, which comes as no suprise at all.

 

I do admit that I hadn't even fully explored the capabilities of the Eden framework, nor have I really done much follow up on A3 and its functionality when editing is concerned. Tbh I have been having wayyyy too much fun trying to beat the campaign on Elite, the AI has caught me out quite a few times, and usually right the end of the mission, which has lead me to give myself a sneaky save point when I want it.

 

There are a lot of posts in the relevant areas of this forum I need to get through, but I have the feeling that like OPF, it is going to take me at least 3 months to grind away at the small details before I can submit/publish something worthy of public consumption. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Download the usermade campaign 1985 from steam, so nice to re-live it in A3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

I played with a few Aussies back in the day, the most memorable was igeighty back in A1 (Arma, the successor to OFP). He ran a Domination server

 

Hey Buddy 🙂

 

I haven't played Arma series for a long while now myself. But I do remember the many hours we spent together huddled in the virtual bushes. The old server went out in the hard rubbish a few years ago.

 

I just wish I had more time to sit and play like I did before. Arma is still the best game there is. And domination is still my favourite.

 

Best regards from down under. And welcome back @Lord of Ruin

Edited by igeighty
typos
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×