Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- NO DISCUSSION

I'm sure this has already been brought up once but I'll bring it up again because I think it can not be adressed enough.

In my opnion the best way to improve the overall exprience of Arma is to drastically inhance and improve the UI design along with some new animations. I'll start by giving an example.

A while back I was playing a user made campaign in Arma II that required me to guard an outpost. Sure enough the outpost got overrun by enemy forces and I decided to climb into one of the guardtowers to fend them off using an M2 machine gun. I ran into the most annoying thing. I don't think I have to say that climbing ladders in Arma II looks kinda weird. By that I mean that you character grabs onto an invisible extension of the ladder by the time you get to the top. I am able to forgive that, what I do find very annoying though is the fact that you have to select the ladder climbing function from a long drop down menu. Couple that with the fact that there seems to be some kind of delay when the climbing animation is initiated, and it adds up to almost certain death.

However, its not just the climbing of ladders. A lot of basic actions in Arma II suffer from poor UI design and very un-smooth animations. Giving orders, selecting weapons, picking up weapons, dragging wounded teammates etc. The list goes on.

Also, there seems to be a very large dead zone for the few actions that you can do with one button. For instance the dragging of wounded soldiers, it takes to long hovering over the body with you mouse to find the spot where the "start dragging" icon appears. This also can get quite annoying in the heat of battle.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a game developer and I'm not trying to tell the BIS developers what to do. I'm just trying to adress what I believe is the most important problem that should be fixed.

Having said that I do hope they realise this, and that they might already have heard about this complaint somwhere else, and are fixing it as I write this.

Dont Know if it has already been mentioned:

When a Tank or something else that makes sound is 90° right or left from your viewing direction, you only hear the sound through the right / left speaker.

When listening via Speakers there is no problem (because most people dont have good speakers and no sweet spot). But with Earphones it is disturbing and wrong. It confuses me often in the battles.

Please change that. make the sound lower in volume from the ear which is farer away from the sounding object, but dont mute it. The better way would be to apply a little sound delay (the 20 cm that the sound needs to travel longer to the other ear; that is one of the things our brain uses to work in real life; and when turning the head this delay gets slowly nulled so our brain knows the object is in front or behind), but that is too complex I guess.

wrong method:

x4wv6tcc.jpg

it makes me shizophrenic when playing ;) - no joke but it costs really these important important milliseconds you need so badly in human vs. human! In real life sth. like this never happens. So if this happens first you think: Problem; Defect Ear detected; Attention sth. is wrong.. that is going on in milliseconds, you dont really notice this consciously.

I could go far more into detail regarding this matters, as there are several testing methods for how and what do you hear etc. This includes building a head, because sounds are reflected upon surfaces and everything has to be looked in for all frequencies (the sound is not one big thing but it consists of many frequencies that all behave different in all these aspects (eg travel speeds, reflecting behaviour, diffusion, ....).

>> http://www.head-acoustics.de/eng/nvh_hms_IV.htm

But this is far too much. A little bit lower in sound, and this is enough, BF3 did it also ;) check the Headphone setting, it does that).

I would consider that for VBS2 also. Because the ears are so much important for "visualizing" Whats going on around you: Perceptual Knowings. It is a big part of that Sourround noticing stuff. You did include these white Points and stuff like that, but proper AUdio is far more intuitive and works cause our brains learned it good years ago ;) brains are cool!

You can notice that with blind people. They had to learn to maximize these cognitive functions ("learning"; just use it, brain does the rest) which are already there slumbering in our unconsciousness ;). And blind people pretty much know whats going on, and they are no genies, or special super humans.. you "learn" to utilize that automatically in a little time.

Edited by tremanarch

Yes! This we MUST have.And all those features that you see in the videos of the Editor in TOH ! And maybe a way to use/keep an enemy rifle on back not using any slot for that.

And maybe some window or stand-alone program outside of Arma 3 that will show all items that can be attach_to cars or the like as Police Lightbar,antenae,towed and a Paint-kit ,similar to the Flightsimulator one.

Drop-down menus for everything that we can change ingame.

The ability to search and download from in-game,mods from choosen sites,pre-determend on_car mods,_boat mods_weapon model.The ability to chose the MODEL of _Weapon we are missing/want with new Java-based mark-up of items,so we get a whole new experience of mod usage (integrated mod technology).

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

And bricks that desintegrate when shot at (modable properties of "solid objects" ingame).

Paragliders with engine,working harness with working Slings for guns.Portable Light to guard an area.

Inflateble rescue boat in a box/inflateble life vest that can change colour from cammo to Hi-Viz red/gren with Strobelight and ACRE

radio for com.

More kinds of parachutes,Round (WW2) Ram (square) and Paraglider(engine on back).

Speargun,Bow,Crossbow.

Fish that pose a threat to the player,maybe some kind of UAV that looks like a shark that kills the player if that close to player.

That`s my 2 cent for now.

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

And the ability to spawn a large pack of sharks,ie a bunch of uav`s with -z (underwater "flight") parameter scripts :A UAV inside of a 3D Shark with a Proxy that attach_to the player and kill him in 5 seconds And maybe even a IR sensor that can make it `hunt

for the player.

I want to see editable dashboard instruments in cars.Like in Flightsimulator.Bouye for creating maybe a Large Pool for swimming.

And MFD display for mines.Sonar for boats and placeble ,underwater cameras for protecton of areas and spying.

Special kit for Aircrew/Coast Guard based on real kit.

Police Dog for MP-units.Working as real dog.

An advanced "Radio Control Device",like an IPad 2 that can steer any car/other device and be integrated into the High Command interface.

ArmorSuit for Deep diving.And Welding gear to open up holes into the inner workings of a wreck.

Real Simulation of BCD-vest for diving more like a Scuba-diver.

Edited by John1000

- possibly we can equip "rifle slings" which we could then attach to a rifle we pick up (that does not have a sling) and then carry it on our backs. takes time to attach it and so is a bit of a risk to do.

Alright, I'll add my misserable wish:

I wanna see civi cars a LOT faster at their top speed. Gears would be splendid too :)

Less use of the action menu. Example that most immediately springs to mind is a 3D GUI interface for weapon modification, similar to what Crysis uses, showing what you have available, as well as what you don't have available but what the weapon is compatible with (including different types of ammunition), and maybe a box of text about the weapon design specs and footnotes on it's history. Basically combine adjusting the weapon with a handy "examine" function. I can tell some people will question this kind of functionality in a simulation game, but I think this is the best way to convey this kind of information to new / casual players. Also tooltips. Tooltips are ****ing awesome. Tooltips when you mouse over things. Everybody loves tooltips. Right click functionality is also GREAT for knowing exactly what you're doing and what you have the option to do with things in your inventory, I would like to point at S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as primary example of how useful right click context menus can be a great way of making an otherwise terrible inventory system really easy to understand and use. These suggestions kind of overlap each other, but I'm just pointing to things and saying "this worked a hell of a lot better then what you had in Arma 2 and what I've seem of Arma 3".

Something I don't really expect to see but would like to suggest anyway is destructible environments extending to buildings and even the terrain - if you detonate a barrel full of c4, shouldn't there be a crater there? Maybe you're already planning this, but I didn't see anything like it in the confirmed features.

Better squad communication sentence / audio file building. In the Arma 3 GC presentation I noticed it wasn't quite as bad as in Arma 2, but there will still many jarring transitions in tone and inflection as different recordings were spliced together to form sentences. This problem could largely be avoided by being a little smarter with sentence and information break up and being just a little more free with the number of sound files used.

Also, the ability to jump. Maybe it's not very integral to the core gameplay, but it'd be far less clunky then the V key "step over things" system and would also give options to modders.

Edited by T0bias

- faster stepovers and less getting caught on low obstacles. just make movement faster. the human body can move very quickly and precisely.

I know BIS has probably already recorded the sounds, but radio commo should be done in phrases, not words spliced together. Only have AI say the most common phrases, specifically when calling out targets. This increases the chance of the radio speech sounding more realistic and less choppy/spliced together.

Also, it'd be nice if there was a jumping feature, but only when interacting with obstacles. America's Army 3 does this well with their vaulting feature. And you can only "vault" when near an obstacle. And, just like with Smookie's Animation pack, that vaulting can be stepping over an obstacle when walking, and jumping over an obstacle when running or sprinting.

It'd be pretty useful if you could also have the option of dropping down from a roof or some elevated surface.

Edited by antoineflemming

GAMEPLAY

Ability to hold breathe and walking silently - for stealth missions

I think one of the most important features to fix for ArmA3 is weapon simulation. That should be priority with ArmA3, which, like past ArmA games, is very much infantry focused (more so than other aspects). That said, one of the most unrealistic things about ArmA2/OA is the fact that the character DOESN'T bring the weapon sight to his face - there is no animation for bringing up weapon sights. Currently, the first person camera changes position to looking through the sights. Anyone who doesn't believe this, look at your shadow, and then look through your sights. There's no animation. Better yet, walked crouched and look through your sights. You will notice your first person view lowers to be in front of the sights. The character should bring up his sights, and position the sights to where they are aligned with his right eye. The sights should be in the right position relative to the character's eye, not relative to the camera view. And, if the camera view is not looking through the sights when the sights are aligned with the character's right eye, then BIS should change the camera view to the correct position, and not change the animation to suit the first person camera view. By doing this, not only will BIS have created a more realistic weapon simulation (by having the character actually bring up his sights to look through them), but also by adjusting the camera position to where it is in front of the sights, BIS will have created a more realistic first person view.

- for the voice commands, have a list of all commands in the settings section which we can then record 5 voice commands per command. so to command unit 3 to throw smoke close to his east i would have 5 recordings of myself saying "unit 3", then 5 saying, "throw smoke" and then another 5 saying "close" and another 5 saying "to your east"

to get unit 4 to go prone there would be 5 saying "unit 4" and 5 saying "go prone".

for unit 2 to join rearguard element id have 5 saying "unit 2" and 5 saying "watch our backs/join rearguard".

the reason there are 5 is to make enough space for intonation changes and perhaps shouting. also, having a number of recordings per commands allows us to say the same thing in different ways.

have commands like "behind you", "to your left", "to your east" e.t.c. so if we are overwatching and commanding a units movement we can direct them.

PS please don't forget my earlier post about assigning squad members squad protection/position roles like overwatch, scout right/left (close/5/10/20/50/100 meters), suppression element, designated marksman e.t.c. very important for game dynamics.

i think just these two elements combined with more fluid movement and actions will make this hands down the most immersive milsim ever made.

i mean let's get real it is already the best milsim, but you know ;)

and again, throwing smoke/grenades should be much much faster

Edited by mistermdg

When im walking slowly while crouching, i dont want my character to make a shit load of noise, like he is stomping his feet. Very annoying.

I'd like to have a search field in the keybind menu. Click on the search field and then hit a key or a key combo and it should show the key/combo in the field and also automatically scroll to and highlight or filter any functions that already have that key/combo bound.

Edited by Trauma.au

Id like to see that bodies can be blown up to pieces. It will be scary to see your teammate body parts all over the place after explosion.

Ultra-compact railgun pistols, small enough to be concealed inside buttocks cheeks but powerful enough to immobolize a main battle tank.

Gameplay:

Realize possibility to operate the majority of devices of a cabin that the pilot could will plunge into the real realism:

Realization example

TOH 20+ km viewdistance. Terrain shading so shadows actually move (instead of shadows being part of the ground texture: it just looks ugly). Scaleable object draw distance (best with defineable margins for fps maintainance, where the program automatically scales the rendering distance and viewdistance to maintain a certain fps.)

separated weaponry controll in helicopters

like in ace 1/2, so gunner control turret only and pilot control rockets etc etc

also bindable flares button

&

Rockets/Bombs/Fixed Cannon should be on Pilot

Missiles/Variable Cannon should be on Gunner

Hi all

I would like that any GPMP uses the bipod when lying down. The aim point should not move. If you are lying down the beaten zone does not shift up and to the righ in the real world so why does itr in ARMA? It's ludicrous. Can you have it that the bipod deploys automatically? In addition the beaten zones has to be accurate. The M60 GPMG does this and is an accurate weapon on the bipod. The ARMA M249 is not as good.

Cheers Bo

I'm really hoping to see realistic chamber & reloading animations this time. Remember the bullet in the chamber, don't have the character pull back the slide when it should be already back, and don't have him slap home the bolt when it should be already home! I wish the game would correctly simulate the chamber mechanics. So few games do. (Only one I've seen was the Rainbow Six series). Don't forget about the bullet in the chamber, and don't work the slide when you can't and/or don't need to!

Edited by Echo38

- add an "observe unique point" command that makes AI look where the other members in that squad aren't looking