Sign in to follow this  
KingBeast

Hitman 2 banned

Apparently the level involving terrorist Sikhs has caused quite a bit of controversy and the game has been banned from the above two shops, and possibly more to come. :/

The mind boggles....

Of course, as soon as this hits the news in a bigger way, everyone will want to own it. I'm sure the objection was raised by one of those fanatical PC religious groups, who seek to ban anything that isn't promoting/spreading the word of god.

I must have killed my fair share of digital christians in OFP. I don't seem to harbour murderous tendancies, or shun them on the street due to my experiences....

Strange that...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Nov. 21 2002,14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I must have killed my fair share of digital christians in OFP. I don't seem to harbour murderous tendancies, or shun them on the street due to my experiences....

Strange that...<span id='postcolor'>

Good point, I have the same results. Although they don't wear a cross or anything.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 21 2002,21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whoa, woolworth's is still in business?  have I travelled back in time or what?<span id='postcolor'>

No no, your still in the here and now, and they are still in buisness,I should know, I work for them wink.gif

How the hell can they justify banning certain games, while selling others. ie banning this and selling games like GTA3. Think I'll go bitch at my manager tomorrow about this. (not that it'll help, I just want an excuse to hassell him).

And I would like to make the point that i am a owner of a Russian style hat(chapkas or whatever they are called) and in Hitman 2 you go around killing people who wear them! I wear one form time to time and I feel like this is discrimination!

Seriously. It is stupid.

Look at the level in Hitman 2 where your in a church fighting lots of gangsters, they might be christians and they are willingly FIGHTING and trying to KILL you in a church! Should we remove that level from the game?

And what about the German Embassy level? Germans in WW2 KILLED people so why dont we all get offended that theres a level full of Germans? It must be removed!

Ok, it was a bit wrong of the developers putting something into their game that wouldnt happen, but still, if they are going to remove that part of the game, they might as well remove the rest.

i wonder what they are gona replace the india missions w/. its gona have to be one hellava mission to make people sit and wait for 15 hours for the d/l. that and include a whole bunch of missed features like the wound decals on bodies, and put back the ability to punch people which they for some reason stupidly removed from the final version.

Can't beleive they bent to the pressure. I mean, how many Sikhs in India have computers anyway?

Statement from Eidos and IO interactive:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eidos Plc is pleased to confirm that it has reached an amicable position with the Sikh Coalition in relation to the changing of certain images and references depicting Sikhs within the game Hitman 2:Silent Assassin which is on general release.

In recognition of the concerns and sensitivities which have been raised, Eidos and the developers, IO Interactive, have responded in both a socially and commercially responsible manner by:

removing from the Hitman 2 website all relevant images and content;

taking steps to amend the game on all existing platforms; and

adapting the next edition of the game due out for the GameCube platform.

Eidos and IO Interactive would like to stress that no offence was intended but would like to apologise to the Sikh community and other persons for any offence taken.

Eidos recognises the value of upholding the Company's good corporate citizenship status and strives to observe high standards of ethical behaviour in all its business activities. To that end, the lessons learned from the concerns expressed by the Sikh community will help to ensure that the Company continues to observe and respect cultural, religious and ethical sensitivities in its future products.

8 November 2002

<span id='postcolor'>

I want all the maia sections to be removed cos thats offensive to italians and also i want the original hitman to be edited becuase it was offensive to the chinese and i find it offensive to ......................

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Nov. 22 2002,15:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want all the maia sections to be removed cos thats offensive to italians and also i want the original hitman to be edited becuase it was offensive to the chinese and i find it offensive to ......................

confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thats the point I was making in my last post, if you look at nearly every game and movie, thyere will be something that could possibly offend someone.

We either have to acept this fact or we dont make movies or games that have 'bad guys' in them in case people get offended because there are similarities between them and the 'bad guys'.

Maybe Russians should sue the makers of No One Lives Forever 2 becuase the Russians were made to look like a bunch of alcohole obsessed people who wouldnt bother reporting the death of a person becuase they didnt want to have to fill in the paper work.

I find your post offensive, who can I sue/hassle/browbeat into getting you amended? wink.gif

But seriously, there are always people with so little to do and such an unfulfilling life that they go around making things hard for other people. Christ! (can I say that? biggrin.gif ) The guy that recommended that game to me is a Sikh.

Ah well, theres nowt as queer as folk. (can I say that too?)

i mean, its nearly stereotypical. i can hardly remember a game, which has no episode in an exotic environment (like hongkong: max payne, deusex; africa: sof1; brazil or sth: sof2).

so its kinda strange, that the sikh complained... i would have expected other minorities doing that much earlier; perhaps afroamericans or other stronger represented ethnic groups in western countries. i didnt know hitman2 had so large sales in india.

...or perhaps the germans (im german btw)... we didnt look too good in mohaa, rtcw and bf1942... strange that noone complained about that... j/k

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MesserJockel @ Nov. 22 2002,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...or perhaps the germans (im german btw)... we didnt look too good in mohaa, rtcw and bf1942... strange that noone complained about that... j/k<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, and then I'll complain about SOF2, where Prague is full of russian speaking soldiers(?).  tounge.gif

return of the "prager fruehling"?

somehow the game developers erased 34 years of history, eh?

there is a german word for that: "geschichtsklitterung" meaning absolute misunderstanding history, especially when it comes in handy... like mrs daeubler-gmelin comparing mr bush to hitler... so stupid it hurts :\

Woolworth and PC World sell about 2 games a year so it's no big loss really smile.gif

Hmmm, i have the PS2 version and the last level i played was the last one from Japan, i don't think i've played that 'banned' mission already. What do you have to do in the mission?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Nov. 22 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm, i have the PS2 version and the last level i played was the last one from Japan, i don't think i've played that 'banned' mission already.  What do you have to do in the mission?<span id='postcolor'>

you have to assaninate a sikh cult leader and this doctor of his.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Nov. 22 2002,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Nov. 22 2002,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm, i have the PS2 version and the last level i played was the last one from Japan, i don't think i've played that 'banned' mission already.  What do you have to do in the mission?<span id='postcolor'>

you have to assaninate a sikh cult leader and this doctor of his.<span id='postcolor'>

i think with the new patch it is more like

"talk to him and persuade him of his doing wrong, after that bowing and wishing him and his family along life"