CaptainAzimuth

Arma 3 - How The Arma God's punish us

I remember staying up, from morning to morning (don't judge me) with me squad playing Arma 3 on the weekend. We would play Stratis/Altis Wasteland for literally 6 hours or more. This would include never getting kicked, never loosing connection, never getting incredible lag, and never receiving steam ticket check kicks, or at least, not as often. So i have a question for you guys as well. What were the peak months where Arma's performance was at an all time high? This means with absolutely little to no issues with battleye or steam? As well as what do you think has changed, and is causing a large portion of connectivity issues for various people even ranging from high end to medium end PC's? Also, how do the "Arma Gods' Punish you?

(Arma gods is a thing i came up with due to the amount of issues or bugs/glitches, and general stupid events that's either cause you, or your team mates to die. Can range from bullets not killing, all the way to you breaking a vehicle when it normally wouldn't in the most inconvenient moment possible, leaving you with nothing but a bucket of salt)

NOTE: This is a fun topic. Keep it clean please.

• Like 3

I would say getting killed by a APC with an auto cannon because I was too lazy to set the Ai accordingly while flying in a helicopter... 

Good idea for a topic-i imagine we all have several "Did that just happen" moments with Arma's sometimes wacky systems :)

Regarding the first point-about system performance etc, I would say that Arma is performing pretty well right now-i can think of a couple of times where performance was slightly better, but as we have gotten the visual upgrade etc, I am pretty happy. I suppose my system would be considered high end-I use a GTX980, i5 4690k CPU and 16GB Ram.

As for the "arma gods" messing with me- I play only Singleplayer and the worst thing to happen is when you have been doing a long mission-a couple of hours at least of slow sneaky stealth stuff for example.You are just getting to your main target or whatever.... Then the game will randomly freeze and crash. You restart...and your save is gone. And I can not summon the strength to restart a long mission like that  :)

• Like 1

I remember staying up, from morning to morning (don't judge me) with me squad playing Arma 3 on the weekend. We would play Stratis/Altis Wasteland for literally 6 hours or more. This would include never getting kicked, never loosing connection, never getting incredible lag, and never receiving steam ticket check kicks, or at least, not as often. So i have a question for you guys as well. What were the peak months where Arma's performance was at an all time high? This means with absolutely little to no issues with battleye or steam? As well as what do you think has changed, and is causing a large portion of connectivity issues for various people even ranging from high end to medium end PC's? Also, how do the "Arma Gods' Punish you?

(Arma gods is a thing i came up with due to the amount of issues or bugs/glitches, and general stupid events that's either cause you, or your team mates to die. Can range from bullets not killing, all the way to you breaking a vehicle when it normally wouldn't in the most inconvenient moment possible, leaving you with nothing but a bucket of salt)

NOTE: This is a fun topic. Keep it clean please.

1.52-1.54 were pretty good for performance in recent times.

1.18-1.26 were the worst for bugs/issues, when vehicles were not synchronized properly over MP and people were bouncing into the rotors of ghosthawks.

pre-1.40 we could run a server without requiring restart for ~18 hours (full 40-50 player). Since then, performance degrades to same level (10 server FPS) after only 8-10 hours, though this might be due to increased complexity of mission (code base from 300kb to 1,800kb).

• Like 1

The Arma god is the Great One who has created us all after hours and hours of his personal time and released us as an addon on Armaholic. He punishes us all for our crimes by making us the armoury AI who is constantly shot at and tested on for eternity.

Anyway, worst Arma thing for me is when I am working on a mission and I neglect to save for awhile, then get a nice out of memory crash. Never feel like updating the mission to where it was when it crashed, so I neglect it altogether.

• Like 1

I don't believe in Arma Gods. I believe that Arma is just a vessel that karma uses to spring ironic punishments on us. kArma, if you will.

kArmic laws: the more dug-in to cover you are, the less bullets it takes to kill you. (Which makes sense, since only your head pokes out...)

When a barrage of gunfire hits you as you sprint in the open, the first round always hits your leg. So you can really savor the impacts as you limp.

The shutter's always closed on the side of the building you need to shoot out from.

But, unless you remap your controls to avoid this, the worst is trying to hit the dirt and double-tapping the prone toggle in haste.

Just doin' a quick up-and-down to warm myself up for this ambush, no problem at all!

• Like 3

The gods todays are weak. They only annoy us. Back in the OFP era when you have waited 20 min to join a mission and you loose connection after a 30 min infiltration to the objective, then you can feel the wrath of the gods.. ;)

• Like 1

I don't believe in Arma Gods. I believe that Arma is just a vessel that karma uses to spring ironic punishments on us. kArma, if you will.

kArmic laws: the more dug-in to cover you are, the less bullets it takes to kill you. (Which makes sense, since only your head pokes out...)

When a barrage of gunfire hits you as you sprint in the open, the first round always hits your leg. So you can really savor the impacts as you limp.

The shutter's always closed on the side of the building you need to shoot out from.

But, unless you remap your controls to avoid this, the worst is trying to hit the dirt and double-tapping the prone toggle in haste.

Just doin' a quick up-and-down to warm myself up for this ambush, no problem at all!

If i could love this comment. So much truth! XD

A typical intervention by the ArmA gods to punish their unworthy followers is to fuck something minor up which will make a long-time-planned gamesession unplayable. Usally they do this in the form of a BIS-update which breaks that one mod of your setup which you can't ditch... ;) 

We had long night discussions how to please the dreadful gods. We tried to sacrifice goats, but we haven't figured out how many are needed yet...  

• Like 2

Our Papa Bear, who art in the FOB,
Arma be thy name,
thy ricochet come,
thy CAS be done,
on Altis as it is on Tanoa.
Give us this day, our daily IED,
and forgive us our AWOLs,
as we forgive those who teamkill against us.
And lead us not into placing satchels at base,
but deliver us from Call of Duty.
For thine is the milsim, and the lag,
and the red chain of death
for ever and ever.

Arma(n).

• Like 8

I was playing a UAV operator on a public milsim server yesterday, and I had to revive this guy. But there were about 2 enemy squads to my north east, so I decide to toss two red smoke grenades and call in CAS. The second smoke grenade landed 5 feet from me due to my bad throw and before I could cancel the airstrike, I hear bombs and 30mm rounds landing on top of me and getting yelled at in chat by some guy telling me to look at the map next time. Now I know what its like to be on the receiving side of a Wipeout.

• Like 1

The gods are cruel and require sacrifices to stay at bay.

They like to clip you through a wall when you are sniping from a tall tower making you fall to your death. How many poor souls were devoured by evil building walls and spit out into the void?

They like to cause a spontanious combustion while you are driving offroad and hit a several gasoline oiled bushes or trees gently then dsync curse sacrifices you to the flames.

They like to kill you when you gently scrape the ocean floor with a boat.

They make your enemies invincible by placing them in the elephant grass cause it's known fact that elephant grass is bulletproof.

They bless your enemies with 6th spider sense, a vision of an eagle and a sense of a snake and insect while they curse you with fog, bushes and recently with lighting update nights.

They like to poison you with lag drug and make you crash from the cruel world.

They like to make you stand up and sabotage the stealth mission which you have been executing for half an hour.

I'm not sure if its Arma Gods, more like the Arma devil

• Like 1

There already is an ArmA god.
His name is Zeus

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 4