Sign in to follow this  
SelectThis

Proper release of the littlebirds

To be honest I would call a TNT2 very wimpy by today's standards, and in a game like Resistance it could lag severely with a relatively fast moving vehicle like the Littlebirds. I guess it depends on graphics settings as well though.

To netops2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i tried to decompress bas_lbs.pbo with PBO Decryptor v1.5 and got these too errors in the log file

File: m\tjpmikebox.pac Compressed: YES

Extraction result: CHECKSUM Error!

File: m\tjpcntcon.paa Compressed: YES

Extraction result: CHECKSUM Error!

can someone plz help. <span id='postcolor'>

It seems that something is corrupted , you will need to download again the littlebirds

pbo decryptor 15 worked perfectly for me , so the problem must be the littlebirds file you have , try download the zip again from another place.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To be honest I would call a TNT2 very wimpy by today's standards, and in a game like Resistance it could lag severely with a relatively fast moving vehicle like the Littlebirds. I guess it depends on graphics settings as well though.

<span id='postcolor'>

i also have a TNT2 and with the last drivers i have RES runs perfect also with fast moving stuff

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ Oct. 31 2002,18:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To be honest I would call a TNT2 very wimpy by today's standards, and in a game like Resistance it could lag severely with a relatively fast moving vehicle like the Littlebirds. I guess it depends on graphics settings as well though.

<span id='postcolor'>

i also have a TNT2 and with the last drivers i have RES runs perfect also with fast moving stuff<span id='postcolor'>

No problem then. Just a thought regarding Littlebird handling. smile.gif

I have an XP 1900+, 512Mb and a geforce2 card and as I said before I also think the two little birds are handling very differently so I don’t think hardware is the problem.

If I’m going forward and start turning(with keyboard) BAS little birds starts to spin(nose down) after a little while and crash to the ground, that doesn’t happen with drakkhens lb.

I tried to download the little birds from another site but got the same error when i used PBO Decrypter 1.5 I went ahead and decrypted and then restuffed all the pbo's and put them in the addons folder. It worked well kinda. The little birds showed up in the editor but when ever i look at the in the game it crashes to desktop and gives this error "Cannot load mipmap bas_lbs\m\tjpcntcon.paa" my first thought was that that this may be an error related to my graphics card drivers, but i also tried it on my laptop which i had just upgraded the drivers on and got the same error. I downloaded Drakkhen's modle aswell and am having a similar problem when i look at the modle in the game it crashes to desktop but i get no error message. plz help i realy want to fly these birds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (netops2001 @ Oct. 31 2002,22:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I tried to download the little birds from another site but got the same error when i used PBO Decrypter 1.5  I went ahead and decrypted and then restuffed all the pbo's and put them in the addons folder. It worked well kinda. The little birds showed up in the editor but when ever i look at the in the game it crashes to desktop and gives this error "Cannot load mipmap bas_lbs\m\tjpcntcon.paa" my first thought was that that this may be an error related to my graphics card drivers, but i also tried it on my laptop which i had just upgraded the drivers on and got the same error. I downloaded Drakkhen's modle aswell and am having a similar problem when i look at the modle in the game it crashes to desktop but i get no error message. plz help i realy want to fly these birds.<span id='postcolor'>

Woe... that's pretty wierd. Do you have all the same addons on both computers? If so either you are maxing out your RAM on both computers, or more likely there is some kind of conflict going on between some addons. But yeah that's rather strange to have that on two different computers.

Try temporarily removing the other unofficial addons to rule out a addon conflict.

If that works then you'll know what the problem is.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Really good choppers, but could you release an updated version in which the people on the outside of the MH-6 could be shot?

edit:Also could you make a version with more realistic TOW and Hellfire missiles because they don't do anywhere near enough damage.

Good work guys. I love the miniguns very realistic. We look forward to the next project smile.gif

wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Nov. 01 2002,03wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really good choppers, but could you release an updated version in which the people on the outside of the MH-6 could<span id='postcolor'>

i think they magically disappeared from the last versions, they were definately shootable in earlier beta's, especially with a russian 50 cal shooting at them smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S_Z @ Oct. 31 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have an XP 1900+, 512Mb and a geforce2 card and as I said before I also think the two little birds are handling very differently so I don’t think hardware is the problem.

If I’m going forward and start turning(with keyboard) BAS little birds starts to spin(nose down) after a little while and crash to the ground, that doesn’t happen with drakkhens lb.<span id='postcolor'>

i have an XP 2000+ 512mb and geforce 4 and im getting the same results, thats the same test i did to find out the agility/manouverability so it looks like its not just me, either that or its related to our similar machines, as i found drakkens rather sluggish

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Nov. 01 2002,08:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S_Z @ Oct. 31 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have an XP 1900+, 512Mb and a geforce2 card and as I said before I also think the two little birds are handling very differently so I don’t think hardware is the problem.

If I’m going forward and start turning(with keyboard) BAS little birds starts to spin(nose down) after a little while and crash to the ground, that doesn’t happen with drakkhens lb.<span id='postcolor'>

i have an XP 2000+ 512mb and geforce 4 and im getting the same results, thats the same test i did to find out the agility/manouverability so it looks like its not just me, either that or its related to our similar machines, as i found drakkens rather sluggish<span id='postcolor'>

Ok... I found out what the problem is guys. Ok here it is:

When I fly, I fly using the mouse and only use the keyboard for the "Q" and "Z" keys for taking off and landing. If you fly Drakkens MH-6 with the mouse it is MUCH smoother flying. However you fly the Ballistics MH-6 with a mouse it is very rough and you have to keep dragging the mouse to the side in order to get it to turn. However.... when you use the keyboard it does indeed turn faster then Drakken's MH-6.

I know you will say, "Well then use your keyboard to fly" but that is a bit difficult when I have been using the mouse to fly and drive since the OFP demo came out and I don't think I'm going to relearn how to fly just for one addon as I've become extremely good at flying with the mouse and just the q and z keys. To me that just feels much more natural, at least for myself.

Also other MAJOR issues I just noticed. Your MH-6's (the Ballistics MH-6's) only carry 4 men! In real life they carry 6 men. Drakken's also carries 6 men as does Adammo's MH-6.

Finally as someone else mentioned, you can't shoot the passengers. On Drakken's and Adammo's you can shoot the guys riding on the benches. Also like yours the enemy machine gunners shoot at them as well.

So right now I'm afraid that overall Drakken's bird in my own opinion at least, is still the better MH-6.

But whether you change the Little Birds is up to you guys.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I agree with Miles Teg 100%.

If you have been playing OFP since the original demo (lots of us out there), it's much easier to mouse-steer.

Also, MGs would probably fire on the 6 men on the outside.

Looking forward to the next release.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Finally as someone else mentioned, you can't shoot the passengers. On Drakken's and Adammo's you can shoot the guys riding on the benches.<span id='postcolor'>

That's strange, I have the 1.85 version and you can shoot passangers very easily...

The reason we only have 4 on the sides is because of the research and advice we got from people with some real experience with the littlebirds. There may be room for 6 but in practical terms only 4 are loaded (notice the harness rings on the plank mountings?.. only 4 of them there).

During all the beta's the people sitting on the side of the MH6 were able to be shot, but I must have deleted the proxies by mistake while doing some last minute edits...this wil be fixed in the next version. Only the MH6s were affected, the other helis work fine re: cargo shooting.

handling.. I use keyboard mostly, so I guess that's why they work better with keyboard.. and yes I have been playing since release. We'll look at doing some tweaks to make it behave better when flown with a mouse.

Keep the bug reports coming so we can address them in the next version.

SelectThis

sa a mouse flier, I have to concur with what Miles has to say regarding the flying.

I use a cyborg 3D to fly and i have to counter the turns with the rudder pedals to make it fly roughly like something resembling a helicopter.

The BAS LBs addon is the best because of the effort that went into it, think like Karl Marx!

Seriously though, the soar pilot makes these addons the best because i like the look of the helmets and the burst setting on the mP5, i don't know why they don't have it on the BIS one.

I found 1 problem though, the LB yaws too rapidly while at high speed, in real helicopters the faster you go the more sluggish the yaw control is.

As the MH-6 has the mp5, maybe you could create an OH-6 like in vietnam where the copilot has an m60 on his lap and a few smokeshells and they fly low enough to see footprints in wet mud!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Nov. 01 2002,11:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The BAS LBs addon is the best because of the effort that went into it, think like Karl Marx!<span id='postcolor'>

*scratches head*

*puzzled*

I think SOAR pilots haven't used silenced MP5. Maybe you guys will make MP5N or take it from HK pack ? It will be more realistic. And I also think the hadling is too tough (i use keyboard+mouse (mouse for turning, keyboard for up\down, acceleration\decceleration))

i dont see why people would use a mouse over mouse and keyboard, you have a lot more control over the helicopter with the keyboard, especially using the x and c keys, the handling was most likely (inadvertantly)optimized for full keyboard and mouse use, making 2 more versions of the whole pack (just mouse/couple of keyboard keys, and joystick) would probably send stt to the loony bin smile.gif

wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SelectThis @ Oct. 31 2002,19wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The reason we only have 4 on the sides is because of the research and advice we got from people with some real experience with the littlebirds. There may be room for 6 but in practical terms only 4 are loaded (notice the harness rings on the plank mountings?.. only 4 of them there).<span id='postcolor'>

My two cents on this is leave the ability to pack 6 (or even 7 or 8, including space in the rear cabin), but stress that SOP is to carry only four on the planks.

That leaves an option open if something "goes horribly wrong."

Any way of simulating a performance hit for overloading?

humm thought i'd add my two cents on this issue of packing eight people into the helo. I'm a crew member in a MD500D so i have some experiance with these birds. The typical allowable payload in HIGE (Hover In Ground Effect) is 775lbs that is with full fuel and i think the fixed reduction weight of 120lbs is calculated in there to so we will take it out, it is comman practice to reduce fuel in order to increase payload weight. But in OPF ya normaly start with full fuel in your vehical. So we have 895lbs to work with by the way thats if we are takingoff below 5000ft elevation the higher ya go the less payload you can lift. So here's how it pans out I weight 185 when i fly with my gear 20 pound pack I guessing that Spec ops probably carry about 10lbs of gear on a fast insurtion mission someone correct me if i'm wrong, but they probably weight a little more than me too so i'm gonna use 185 as a base weight for the passangers. and 170 for the pilot. So if we have one pilot and 4 Spec ops on the out side racks thats 910lbs you already have to dump some fuel. Now if ya put 8 men in there like was suggested thats 1465lbs and  you arn't going any where.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (netops2001 @ Nov. 01 2002,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">humm thought i'd add my two cents on this issue of packing eight people into the helo. I'm a crew member in a MD500D so i have some experiance with these birds. The typical allowable payload in HIGE (Hover In Ground Effect) is 775lbs that is with full fuel and i think the fixed reduction weight of 120lbs is calculated in there to so we will take it out, it is comman practice to reduce fuel in order to increase payload weight. But in OPF ya normaly start with full fuel in your vehical. So we have 895lbs to work with by the way thats if we are takingoff below 5000ft elevation the higher ya go the less payload you can lift. So here's how it pans out I weight 185 when i fly with my gear 20 pound pack I guessing that Spec ops probably carry about 10lbs of gear on a fast insurtion mission someone correct me if i'm wrong, but they probably weight a little more than me too so i'm gonna use 185 as a base weight for the passangers. and 170 for the pilot. So if we have one pilot and 4 Spec ops on the out side racks thats 910lbs you already have to dump some fuel. Now if ya put 8 men in there like was suggested thats 1465lbs and  you arn't going any where.<span id='postcolor'>

All I know is that on the training vidoes I've seen I routinely see them carrying 6 commandos. I yet to see a training operation where they were only carrying 4 commandos.

Plus in practical terms in OFP, it's a lot nicer to insert a 6 man team then just 4 men. Two extra men can make all the difference in covert ops or hostage extraction missions. It should be left up to the mission maker to decide whether to use 4 commandos or 6 commandos. Also the 5 and 6 slot is good for hostage rescues. For example, if you're rescuing two downed pilots you can insert a 4 man team with the Little Bird and when the pilots are rescued they can board the MH-6 Little Bird along with the SF team during the extraction. So to the Ballistics guys, please try and allow for 6 men. There's no need to put such limitations on mission makers.

Again that's not a demand... just practical ideas that I hope you'll consider.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>