Confirmed, the SA20 launcher disappears at distance (depending on viewdistance settings).  Beware that it is still there, just invisible at distance! :)  Thanks for the feedback!

Been play testing for jamming scripts.  The smoke at the launchers definitely helps you find them as in Real World.  So the smoke is working correctly for all launchers tested so far.  Since the smoke is an effect, it is "hard coded" so to speak and can't be incrementally removed.  I would actually like to increase the smoke on some of them but will probably leave it as-is.  The "other" good thing is that jamming pods can apparently be made to work in a somewhat realistic manner, as close as we can guess with the little amount of public information available for these critical systems.  Those new home-on-jam and frequency hop values are going to be a real game changer :)  Of course the EA-18G will likely be the first kid on the block with a real jamming system :)

One visual that bothers me is the long-lifetime of the smoke trails no longer works as intended.  It seems a recent update cut the lifetime short so that the smoke trail doesn't stay where it is supposed to, like there is a limiter or threshold that will remove the trail after either a certain time or distance away from the vehicle is reached.  This appears to be a fairly recent (this year) modification.  The smoke trails can't be "traced home" back to the launcher any more.  Even with a longer lifetime value the smoke de-rezzes too soon.  Likely an "optimization" setting for lower-end systems that choke on the high detail of the newer maps, or something similar, although the video card capabilities are actually improving...  Unfortunate. 

Another thing that seems to be misbehaving is the indirect damage visuals.  The 3D model for the "indirect fire target" seems to no longer be impacted by the missiles.  This has always been just a fire Geo LOD.  It worked PERFECTLY in the past, but now it seems to no longer allow the "indirect" damage values on the missiles to transfer to the plane.  Therefore the "proximity fusing" feature seems to be a bit munged.  I'm going to need to research this a bit as there may be a new armor value for the "house" items that no longer let the indirect damage work the way it was intended.  Likely will have to add these new values, if they exist, to the target models.  So for now it appears that we're back to the old behavior before I developed the proximity fuses effect where missiles may near miss and fly right by but not explode on the "target" model.  This may cause some missile systems to have a lower rate of success.  Since I don't know what exactly has changed I must "discover" this and find a way to make it work once again.  So no ETA at this point for an update on this item.

Is this possible to add in this mod ?  That helicopters will have a set "Jamming capability",to divert missiles,sence they will so easiely get shot down,so instead they will just get the engine shot out and very limited shrapnel ,to

make a emergency landing possible.   A bit like a near miss,like the jamming of the Growler.

Possible to incorporate this ? What would you say?

Maybe,"Splendid Smoke" mod can help you.https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/194479-splendid-smoke/

Spawn a smoke shell-type size smoke with this!  It will really look convincing.

Edited by john1

I think adding pistachio ice cream to the game is easier than half the things you make up.

• Like 4

The illegally posted content on steam removed - took them 6 days but it is gone :)

• Like 4

Hey man was just wondering if the British rapier was in the pipework??

9cf8e33a9f309921119a645b9f580642.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mmmmm and star streak. Good point JD

Don't we have a star streak model somewhere ?

Seems to be a issue where the launchers SA-20 to be specific. Till your within 100m so very annoy when trying to recce the area for SAM site.

Edit: just noticed the top post of this page :(

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

So has there been any more misbehaving systems noticed?  Anyone have any observations?  I may add an update before Halloween if only these SA20 launchers are the main issue...

Interesting...  So like SA3 and SA2 updates, the SA8 has "midlife" options as well... I just happen to have that vehicle in my pack, and I think I have an SA8 turret somewhere on my HD.  Maybe I'll add the SA8 update system.  I would like to add the "legacy" SA8 system but I'm not so terribly interested in building yet another model.

http://www.janes.com/article/64240/belarus-offers-to-upgrade-jordan-s-osa-air-defence-systems

1685998_-_main.jpg

Edit to add - another OSA upgrade, this time with IRIS-T missiles.

http://www.janes.com/article/64205/diehl-s-iris-t-sls-shown-with-polish-sa-8-system

It seems to me that these offerings are to keep the legacy systems intact with the least financial investment possible.  Also seems to reflect what is available to the countries needing the upgrades, since some of these systems may not have access to their original inventories in a post-soviet union world.

I know someone who will be VERY happy to see SA8

Dammit man....making me download another freaking mod and breaking my ALiVE mission all because you are working with the VME team....DAMN YOU POOKIE!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!     :D

"Addon 'pook_SAM_PLA' requires addon 'A3_VME_PLA_Men'

VME PLA is an outstanding mod from what I've heard. Top quality work on them.  I'm looking forward to some vehicles to flesh them out.

I haven't had time to check on things with the newest update Pook, aside from your big one that fixed the SAM targeting and Frag damage.  That really fixed things well for long range targeting and airframe damage.

It's not that they have a bad mod; just the simple fact that in order to get my PLA forces to work I now have to use both Massi's PLA mod and VME to accomplish the same thing if I want to use chinese SAM launchers.

...in order to get my PLA forces to work...

The VME mod is the only PLA mod with accurate vehicles and not simple reskins.  Furthermore, I am directly involved in assisting VME PLA mod with their (realistic) vehicle updates from A2 to A3.  It is a "process" and not an "event" so it is slow and will take some time.  My support for VME PLA is optional.  One does not have to include my additional VME PLA support files if they are not running VME PLA.  Ditto for the CUP unit support files.  This is explained in the Guide.

I am considering custom SAM support for other mods in the future if and when I get around to that.  Or not.

• Like 2

Hi there.

Relatively new Arma 3 player here, though I was into OFP back when it was out. Excellent game and this is a truly excellent modification which I stumbled upon when I wanted to get back into mission editing. Thanks for all the hard work undertaken. You make an already great game so much better.

Just some observations as I noticed you're happy to hear any bugs/glitches for possible future changes:-

View distance with SA20:

I second the observation above about the SA-20 disappearing, both when it's placed individually as well as when it's in one of your auto generated SAM sites. It's a short distance and doesn't seem to reappear when changing view and/or object draw distances in video options.

EDIT: I read above that this was already noted but forgot when I came to writing this!

Particle/cloud bugs:

Another observation is the smoke trails of the missile - SA10/20 and Buks (nothing else tried yet) are rather boxy/pixelated with sharp white lines along side each section. I've upped my particle gfx setting to highest and although it changes the visual, the quality remains boxy unfortunately.

The smoke around the missile launchers (tested with Buks SA11 and 17s, all variants) seems to get bigger and smaller very quickly depending on where you are looking on the screen. I.e. if the launcher is far left of the screen it might be a huge cloud which engulfs the player. However if I move and center the launcher on the screen, it's almost suddenly a small cloud.

Buk launchers not targeting Helicopters?

Is this just me or are the SA11 and SA17s programmed not to shoot down any helicopters? I've tried CUP/mod helicopters as well as vanilla ones, I've tried them stationary in sky and moving at speeds and at different heights. In no cases do the mobile SAM Buk launchers shoot down any helicopters. They appear to track and follow them but never locks/fires at them. When playing as the gunner, it won't let me lock either. However fixed wing/planes are locked and shot at perfectly. I've deactivated mods such as ASR AI/ACE3 in case they interfered with anything but this doesn't change things.

Apologies if the above re the Buk has been discussed. I did go through your handy guide with a fine tooth comb but couldn't find anything in there.

Silly question alert - Radars - Sync or group?

Lastly, and more a question than anything (albeit probably a silly one) with regards to radars/etc, do they automatically work for their launchers or do they need to be sync'ed or grouped to the launcher itself?

Thanks again in advance, apologies for the long message. Once again a fantastic mod which has most likely meant hundreds more hours mission editing!

• Like 1

Feel free to correct me @hcpookie, but from what I remember only the mission placed and maybe the Zeus placed FULL SAM/AA Sites use the enhanced scripting that is provided.  This Scripting is what gives you the enhanced targeting range and behavior for the launchers and radars.

Single placed units do NOT get the enhanced scripting, whether they are synced to a radar unit or not.  Anything placed individually follows the normal Arma 3 targeting procedures (like 2KM or less).

• Like 1

Hi ski2060 - Thanks for the reply. If that's the case then no worries. The radar units alone are fantastic and make for many months of mission editing!

The Buk launcher thing is really bugging me if you or anyone know anything about it? None of the Buk family of launchers appear to lock onto helicopters. If it's user error, I apologise for banging on about it!

Thanks again.

EDIT: Sorry, me again! I've noticed launchers such as the MIM-23 (HAWK) don't shoot down helicopters either.. However it too tracks them as they go through the sky. Hmmm

Whenever I spawn a MIM-23 site as BluFor that C-Ram kills an AA soldier which spawns with the site.

I spawned all BluFor sites together with no enemy and after some shooting found 2 dead bodies. I don't know if one MIM-23 C-Ram killed both or they died by other units.

Didn't try OpFor yet.

Hah.. I watched that happen the other day when I was testing some stuff out.   I spawned an AAF OPFOR MIM23 site, and one of the missiles actually targeted the AA soldier and fired on him.

Hey, one question, 

any chance to reduce the Particles? I think that they are guilty for the short lifetime of the trails, as soon they reach the limit. ( sadly I'm not aware what the exact limitation is.) 

Maybe a suitable Solution would be to use 'bigger' Effects, As far as I'm aware , is ACE currently using this method. 

Regards, keep up the awesome work!

Any plans for S-200 ? :) Would be amazing! Also, is there a video of what TOR sam launch looks like with current version?

Question, why is AI only launching at me at 2km range with SA11M2 ? Shouldn't it have 10 times that range?

And can the Tor launch animation be tweaked, so that cold launch looks more realistic? :)

And no launch warning/missile on RWR from Pantsir sometimes? o_O

Question, why is AI only launching at me at 2km range with SA11M2 ? Shouldn't it have 10 times that range?

And can the Tor launch animation be tweaked, so that cold launch looks more realistic? :)

And no launch warning/missile on RWR from Pantsir sometimes? o_O

There are at least a dozen factors the scripts consider when deciding when to shoot you.  They may not have line of sight.  They may not know yet or have decided that you are a valid target.  Fly around enough and you'll get shot at distance.  I guarantee it.

Everything else is what it is.  Things look realistic enough given engine limitations.  Thanks for pointing out that it isn't perfect.  I appreciate that feedback and look forward to more.

• Like 1

20km range means no fly zone on all over the maps :)

No it would simply mean fly low and behind mountains ;)