Placebo

VBS2/3 Discussion thread - the one and only

hi guys,

I know that VBS2 VTk comes with Oxygen 2 and other tools for editing and importing/exporting models inside the software so:

do you know if with the VBS2 VTk is possible to open p3d models contained in VBS2 and edit them?

thanks

Matt

do you know if with the VBS2 VTk is possible to open p3d models contained in VBS2 and edit them?

It's not possible. All of the VBS2 models are encrypted.

It's not possible. All of the VBS2 models are encrypted.

ok, do you know if among the challenger 2 versions there is one like in this video?

(without "skirts")

Latest "Community Screenshots"

381168_274589412594430r6tp.jpg384654_272407892812580wvml.jpg396391_27065497298787xo5pu.jpg405309_27681430903861pdwa0.jpg

Click on the image to see a larger version

You can also access these on the official BI Simulations FB page

------------------------------------------------------

"VBS2 on steroids"

Overview of US Army's First Immersive Dismounted Soldier Training System (DSTS)

AMyoQhUcPgM

New video from BISimMedia

qUPufewfZtc

EDIT: Missed two.

h7gErhfRgh4

H6VfEemMD1k

Edited by colossus

I haven't touched my copy of VBS2 in some time. That said, whats the word on the upgrade (2.0)? Is it going to be offered as free or are we going to have to pay for it?

Also, anyone wanna comment on how they made such a stink about how high-end graphics detract from the training aspects, then they go and do it themselves? Seems like a double standard to me.

I haven't touched my copy of VBS2 in some time. That said, whats the word on the upgrade (2.0)? Is it going to be offered as free or are we going to have to pay for it?

I would say you'll find out. All I can say is that there should be an announcement sometime soon in a newsletter.

Also, anyone wanna comment on how they made such a stink about how high-end graphics detract from the training aspects, then they go and do it themselves? Seems like a double standard to me.

Maybe circumstances change? Maybe high-end graphics are no more such a problem as before. Not your problem as customer actually I would say. ;)

Just look over here: Who receives VBS2 v2.0 for free?(part). :)

Ahem... free it is then... thanks much for the link Papanowel.

@ Papanowel & W0lle

I could use some help here. I already posted this on the official VBS2 support sub-forum, but maybe you two could be of greater and more expedient help.

I recently re-installed Win7 and everything appears to be working correctly. However, the DVD drive isn't reading every disc as some work and others appear blank (VBS2 for a re-install). I was hoping someone could point me to a driver or a firmware update somewhere that can remedy this. I've tried looking and my results have been nil at this point.

DVD-ROM: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT34N

It states that the driver is up to date however, I know that isn't true (2006). Secondly, the details panel reads it as a CD-ROM drive which of course it isn't. Any ideas here as I'd really like to re-install VBS2?

Disregard - It is apparently the VBS2 disc's. Other DVD software is installing/working fine. Hold up.... does VBS2 contain a install disc by itself then disc 1, 2, 3, and then the Dev Suite? Again, it's been a long time since I've toyed around with it and I can't recall.

Edited by DetCord

Ah okay so it's announced already, good thing. :)

@Devildog

If you don't mind downloading around 12 GB I would say you grab the latest "Patch" from the Support forums and install from your hard drive instead. No messing around with discs and stuff.

Drivers you shouldn't need, the ones from Win7 should work with every drive.

I quickly checked LG and Hitachi sites for that drive but got no search results at all. However if it reads your Win7 and other discs, it should read the VBS ones too.

Ah okay so it's announced already, good thing. :)

@Devildog

If you don't mind downloading around 12 GB I would say you grab the latest "Patch" from the Support forums and install from your hard drive instead. No messing around with discs and stuff.

Drivers you shouldn't need, the ones from Win7 should work with every drive.

I quickly checked LG and Hitachi sites for that drive but got no search results at all. However if it reads your Win7 and other discs, it should read the VBS ones too.

It has to be an issue on my end, W0lle. I tossed disc 1 into my laptop and it launched automatically so I honestly have no idea as to what the issue is as other DVD's are working just fine.

Putting in the DVD, it'll gronk-gronk, as if in an earnest attempt at reading the disc (and for a long time, knowing there is something to be read) - ultimately determining the disc is not really there. Ugh...

The 1.5 patch? If that's the case, wouldn't I need 1.4 already installed? If not, could you shoot me a link, I appreciate it.

The 1.5 patch? If that's the case, wouldn't I need 1.4 already installed? If not, could you shoot me a link, I appreciate it.

No you don't, that "patch" is just a full installation actually. After unpacking you have 3 folders, one for each DVD. You just run the vbs2_setup.exe from the disc1 folder then.

All you need then is having the HASP drivers installed.

No you don't, that "patch" is just a full installation actually. After unpacking you have 3 folders, one for each DVD. You just run the vbs2_setup.exe from the disc1 folder then.

All you need then is having the HASP drivers installed.

I can't seem to find the link for the direct download. What sub-forum is it in (i.e. serious games etc)?

EDIT - I found it. Wow, that is a lot of files.

The GYBBK aspect seems like a convoluted process if there ever was one. If I can't figure it out I'll shoot ya a PM.

Edited by DetCord

Hello,

Can I ask what is the major difference between Arma 2 (and it's DLC) and VBS2 ?

I saw there is missing content on Arma (the Tornado for example)

Hello,

Can I ask what is the major difference between Arma 2 (and it's DLC) and VBS2 ?

I saw there is missing content on Arma (the Tornado for example)

VBS is military dedicated , it has a lot of functions that you will not use gaming

gamer do not need many functions in game , that military need

Yes but what about the game content, and some features like reloading artillery ?

Could be very interesting.

give more money and you will get it

many people demand many features, eventhough Arma (any BIS game) gives 100 more features than any other game

BIS products have much more features than other games, and people still demand more (instead of being happy of what they get for such low price as Arma is)

who need reloading artillery except one Youtube movie ?

Both games have something the other doesn't.

ArmA2 has a better AI and also ACE mod which makes it considerably more realistic than VBS2 overall. And tons of free content.

OTOH VBS2 has PhysX, underground structures, better lighting (much more lights, while ArmA2 is limited to 8 light sources), fully functioning real-time 3D editor (that also works in MP if I'm correct), some simulation aspects are still better like breathing. All additional content has to be bought and it's quite costly. MP scene is next to non-existent.

With ArmA3 and VBS2.0 coming out the differences will be mostly evened out. Of course VBS2 will still be one step ahead when it comes to features and customization since it can be said that military basically pays a lot for our ArmA games by buying ridiculously expensive (for us) VBS2. Otherwise they could've bought ArmA but where is the money in that *ahem*

Thanks for yours answers

give more money and you will get it

many people demand many features, eventhough Arma (any BIS game) gives 100 more features than any other game

BIS products have much more features than other games, and people still demand more (instead of being happy of what they get for such low price as Arma is)

who need reloading artillery except one Youtube movie ?

Ooh No, I'm very very Happy about BIS, they are simply the best independant studio actually.I played most of their games, and not only Arma (or ex-OFP)

I really like them. :ok:

...... not 100% sure, but I seemed to have notice (via forum posts made by ppl from time to time here and elsewhere) theres a bunch of ArmA players who liked what they were seeing in VBS, brough it (very expensive), loved it for a while, got bored, went back to ArmA.

Not great value for money that way.

I nearly brought it too, but then I thought long and hard about what would I end up doing.

Conclusion: Without this big creative community and lots of free User made content .... I'd end up doing the same thing.

I also guess that without your own tight squad or group to play MP with / chat with, it would get boring much faster.

..... or if you were developing commercial content ;) different story.

It's all dependent upon what you are utilizing it for. Ultimately, it's a tool set for training military forces in complex scenarios, everything from asymmetric/COIN to conventional combat operations and more. It does have quite a lot going for it that the ArmA series doesn't; flawless optimization and scaling, massive variety in content, in-depth scenario editing tools, a spectacularly supported development suite unlike anything ArmA has to offer, and a ton of excellent user generated content... but only if you are able to access it (see milgaming.army.mil)

That said, the fascination for me wore off rather quickly (several months perhaps) even with the hundreds of available third-party addons, VBS2 lay dormant on my HD eventually being uninstalled some months later. There was a close knit MP community at one time that played quite often, but that's since faded into history unfortunately.

Hello, I'm planning to buy VBS2 and am currently involved in an email conversation regarding the purchase.

I'm just here to ask those of you who have purchased the software already, do BIS usually ask for credit card information over email? Doesn't seem normal to me that a company would ask for this kind of information over fax/email/phone as opposed to a more secure service, but I think I might just be acting a little paranoid.

Thanks.

Hello, I'm planning to buy VBS2 and am currently involved in an email conversation regarding the purchase.

I'm just here to ask those of you who have purchased the software already, do BIS usually ask for credit card information over email? Doesn't seem normal to me that a company would ask for this kind of information over fax/email/phone as opposed to a more secure service, but I think I might just be acting a little paranoid.

Thanks.

Unfortunately yes, that's how it done simply due to the typical customer being a GO and the financial routes involve a totally different aspect of how money changes hands (contracts etc). My suggestion would be to do what I did and send the numbers sequence broken down; i.e. the first 8 digits in one email and the next 8 in another, or however you wanna do it.

It's just smart seeing how emails and the data within can be intercepted by outside sources.

Unfortunately yes, that's how it done simply due to the typical customer being a GO and the financial routes involve a totally different aspect of how money changes hands (contracts etc). My suggestion would be to do what I did and send the numbers sequence broken down; i.e. the first 8 digits in one email and the next 8 in another, or however you wanna do it.

It's just smart seeing how emails and the data within can be intercepted by outside sources.

I see, this is understandable. Thanks for the quick reply and multiple email idea though, clever and seems more or less secure. I sent BIS an email in the meantime asking if they do alternate payment options (bank deposit specifically), but after reading this I am expecting a no.