7 hours ago, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

after dropping most the required mods and mainly using scripts to achieve the desired "atmosphere" I have noticed huge performance differences. Occasional micro stutters do happen but not enough to ruin game-play or "disturb" it. I'd suggest to others having this issue to seriously consider trimming mod counts and keeping to either supported mods, or looking into scripted features.  

+1,000,000

Thank you for saying this. This statement should be something that everyone who plays Arma... should have to sign and agree to before they play the first time.

It should be noted... to anyone who's having performance issues. Every single time you add a new mod to your list, you're adding performance issues to your mission. One mod can break features. It's a fact. If you're running 10 mods... you're really pushing it. RHS and CUP are not as optimized as we all wish they were. I also saw the edited "Blastcore" mod in the list. That's an outdated re-uploaded mod that hasn't been properly updated in four years. Any mods that edit or add graphical improvements to smoke or fire, will absolutely cause performance issues.

If you run ASR... you're tweaking the AI. This will have performance hits when AI spawn.

Edited by Donnie_Plays
edited to follow up with more info
  • Like 6

59 minutes ago, Donnie_Plays said:

If you're running 10 mods... you're really pushing it. RHS and CUP are not as optimized as we all wish they were.

My MAX recommended for "The Burning Rain" actually sits at 10 Hahaha And you're correct, after dropping the RHS full pack my FPS bumped up, and everything runs a lot smoother, I tried running RHS with CUP and the engine wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. :rofl: 

I try to pack scripts into missions more-so, cause you can edit the times, or set limits, where-as mods you kind of are limited in the resources that they want to use. 

I had severe performance issues at first, so I did remove some addons, which always seemed to help...for a while. 

The biggest improvement happened, when I disabled the saving system and especially GRAD saving system. Even reducing the number of saved objects to „only editor placed objects“ wasn‘t enough. Removing GRAD did the trick. 

• Like 1

It would be great if there was an option in the 'Vehicles' module to choose mods as well as the 'Equipment Pool' module.

It's inherent, given the sandbox nature of Arma, the desire to create a grand plan when we open the Editor, however given how complex the game is in general it's no real surprise when performance issues crop up. 

From my (limited) experience as a mission maker Ravage, when used prudently, is still a very performance friendly mod.

Overlaying the Ravage framework with scripts and mods, whether they are optimized or not, will always come at a cost, even more so when transferred into a MP environment.

Regarding the micro-stutter that's been mentioned in recent posts, while play testing my (SP) Sirens mission this week I see no evidence of micro stutters, that being said my mission file is very lean, the ingame action is generated through triggers and engine based scripting commands, and a minimum modset. Ravage/CBA/Derelict/SullenSkies.

Loot Module for trash loot.

Ambient Zombie Module for zed event handlers. (no ambient zeds are spawned, only hand placed zeds are present)

Safe System Module for SP saves.

Settings Module for 1:1 time acceleration.

Survival System for increased hunger/thirst. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, whiteface73 said:

I had severe performance issues at first, so I did remove some addons, which always seemed to help...for a while. 

The biggest improvement happened, when I disabled the saving system and especially GRAD saving system. Even reducing the number of saved objects to „only editor placed objects“ wasn‘t enough. Removing GRAD did the trick. 

Sadly the save system constantly writes on the profileNameSpace wich is pretty intensive - even if we're only saving player-related data.

I reckon the same will be true for any save system that don't use external database; but since the vanilla save system was disabled on Arma 3, we don't have a lot of options...

I'm going to take a look at the most recent event handlers and see if I can come up with a less intensive system.

• Like 3

Okay, I did some tests, and right now I think the best solution would be to propose a "dedicated server only" save system.

In MP, some key features will only work on a dedi (bad news), but those commands should be enough to save data on the server when needed rather than constantly saving & writting on the client's profileNameSpace (good news).

There are 2 major problems though : it implies writting tools to manipulate the data stored on the server (in case saves need to be wiped for whatever reason, for instance), and I need access to a dedi to develop and test...

Given how long my To Do list is, I will probably keep that one for later; the next update already brings big changes, and I don't want to add too many at once.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, haleks said:

...save system constantly writes on the profileNameSpace wich is pretty intensive - even if we're only saving player-related data...

That‘s why I changed to a system where I can control when the data is saved or loaded.

The next thing I want to try is adding a vehicle data  save / load function to a number of randomly placed vehicles, a player data save / load function to every church or chapel and and automatic player data save when killed. Dunno if these things are possible for me, but there wouldn‘t be that much traffic to and from profileNamespace. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, whiteface73 said:

That‘s why I changed to a system where I can control when the data is saved or loaded.

The next thing I want to try is adding a vehicle data  save / load function to a number of randomly placed vehicles, a player data save / load function to every church or chapel and and automatic player data save when killed. Dunno if these things are possible for me, but there wouldn‘t be that much traffic to and from profileNamespace. 

Using elements ingame to save player data when desired certainly is better in terms of performances : at one point I considered using deployable tents as save points, but that doesn't suit every mission configuration...

I might add that as an option though, it would give more importance to tents and camps in MP, and we could also save the tent itself and its content.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, haleks said:

... at one point I considered using deployable tents as save points, but that doesn't suit every mission configuration...

I might add that as an option though, it would give more importance to tents and camps in MP, and we could also save the tent itself and its content...

That...would...be...great! This in something I considered too, but realized that I am not able to do this kind of stuff. 

11 minutes ago, haleks said:

I considered using deployable tents as save points,

Ooooooh Now you’re just spoiling us (if you added that in) I quite like the idea of having players only being able to save if they have a “player camp” set up, almost like a safe zone... more immersive. 😁

• Like 3

If using a tents-as-saving-points system,...

- a player should have an option to load his personal data (addAction, removed after use) manually. So he could continue his game or (without loading) start over again.

- a player should have an option to save his game at fixed ingame locations, so he could at least save his loadout, even if he has no tent.

- a player‘s personal data should (at respawn location with respawn loadout) be automatically saved when being killed to avoid cheating.

- a tent should save (manually) its own inventory and location and the specific player‘s personal data to avoid cheating (doubling items.)

These were the points I was thinking about, when pondering about a player + vehicle saving system.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, haleks said:

and I need access to a dedi to develop and test...

Happy to oblige, Haleks. 

I am one of the (sadly) very few Germans who respect their Grundgesetz (German Constitution) where it says in Article 14, 2: "Eigentum verpflichtet. Sein Gebrauch soll zugleich dem Wohle der Allgemeinheit dienen."

And roughly translated into our forum's lingua franca: "Property obliges. It's usage should serve the public welfare at the same time."

Ready to support you with my dedi whenever you have something ready for testing!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tourist said:

I am one of the (sadly) very few Germans who respect their Grundgesetz (German Constitution) where it says in Article 14, 2: "Eigentum verpflichtet. Sein Gebrauch soll zugleich dem Wohle der Allgemeinheit dienen."

But how do you mean that... You want to live in my small house I worked hard for? Did you deserve it? Or did I?

Germans completely forgot about the concept of Eigenverantwortung (being respsonsible for yourself). It's state of the art technique here to search for someone else to be responsibly for your own misery. Täter/Opfer, there is no middle ground.

#end/rant. It's what sucks for me in Germany. Didn't want to attack you.

Your offer is generous and honorable.

9 hours ago, whiteface73 said:

If using a tents-as-saving-points system,...

- a player should have an option to load his personal data (addAction, removed after use) manually. So he could continue his game or (without loading) start over again.

- a player should have an option to save his game at fixed ingame locations, so he could at least save his loadout, even if he has no tent.

- a player‘s personal data should (at respawn location with respawn loadout) be automatically saved when being killed to avoid cheating.

- a tent should save (manually) its own inventory and location and the specific player‘s personal data to avoid cheating (doubling items.)

These were the points I was thinking about, when pondering about a player + vehicle saving system.

The first proposition could lead to exploits, so I'll probably stick to "one life, one character" like it's done in Dayz.

I've been thinking about potential cheats with the manual save method, and there's a lot of stuff we need to prevent, like people reloading after a gunfight to retrieve their ammo or to cancel recently taken damage.

I feel like saving after the following actions would solve most of them : fired, take, put, InventoryClosed, GetOutMan. Those are event handlers, and are pretty easy to work with if we want to save when important player-related changes happen.

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle health-related events, and there's a lot of other exploits I haven't thought about yet...

So far I'm thinking it would be best to overhaul the "auto" save option before adding a manual save option : the work needed for the manual route could benefit the auto save a lot anyway.

I reckon Arma 3 provides enough event handlers to ditch the constant save & write process; I might even be able to do that without breaking previously saved characters.

• Like 5

Am I the only one experiencing this error: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1720568856? I've been getting this error nonstop at the start of my missions, and I think it's related to the "Equipment Pool" module. Thing is, I'm almost 100% sure that I typed all the weapon class-names correctly, etc. Very weird.

24 minutes ago, haleks said:

I feel like saving after the following actions would solve most of them

This is why when I play Ravage I use the “Save and exit” saving feature only, that way if I die I die, better luck next round, It’s loads more immersive if you push yourself knowing you only have 1 life. What’s the fun continuously reloading a save before a bandit confrontation because you keep dying? It also promotes better situational awareness. And you almost start to sweat when bandits enter the building they last saw you in (that you’re still hiding in :icon3:).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ArteyFlow said:

Thing is, I'm almost 100% sure that I typed all the weapon class-names correctly, etc. Very weird.

Did you put a magazine classname inside one of the arrays? I believe the equipment module only asks for weapon types and not magazines, though I’m unsure... Could be wrong, just my guess? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArteyFlow said:

Am I the only one experiencing this error: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1720568856? I've been getting this error nonstop at the start of my missions, and I think it's related to the "Equipment Pool" module. Thing is, I'm almost 100% sure that I typed all the weapon class-names correctly, etc. Very weird.

Do you have traders in your mission?....that pop-up also references the trade_init.sqf 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

Did you put a magazine classname inside one of the arrays? I believe the equipment module only asks for weapon types and not magazines, though I’m unsure... Could be wrong, just my guess? 

Yep your right it only works with weapons not magazines and such (:

• Like 2

Has anyone seen the new creators DLC that's coming out next week? The most appealing thing to me... a new map is coming to Arma. It's a bigger map than Altis. 419 square kilometers. The most interesting thing about this map... it uses entirely new assets for the map. This is probably the biggest update to come to Arma since APEX, which may or may not be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. A ton of gear, weapons and vehicles. It's my understanding that this new map will have brand new buildings that have never been used in Arma before. This new DLC is the first release that was made by outside developers and not BI.

I didn't buy Tanks or Jets DLC. I'm seriously considering this one. It's my understanding that every building on the map will be enterable and destructable.

I'm already wondering what the zombie apocalypse looks like in Germany.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Donnie_Plays said:

Has anyone seen the new creators DLC that's coming out next week?.........

Primed and ready!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Donnie_Plays said:

I'm already wondering what the zombie apocalypse looks like in Germany.

It may not be a 100% "functional" apocalypse at first, but I'll work on that. 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I first heard about a new DLC, I shook my head no. I skipped both Jets and Tanks. This new DLC is actually offering something I'm interested in. Another big positive... everything was made by the community. BI purchased the creations and will be sharing profits with the people who made it all. This is going to add a ton of assets to Arma. Weapons like PKM. Even a motorcycle!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EO said:

Do you have traders in your mission?....that pop-up also references the trade_init.sqf 

Yep, traders are enabled my friend. I think I have the trader's presence at 10%.