Jastreb

Insurgency 3 [WIP] Alpha testing phase - sign up!

Insurgency 3 is in closed alpha testing!

2f0XLxQ.png

To Insurgency lovers and newcomers, here is something the lovers awaited, and newcomers are about to experience. From the maker of Insurgency for Armed Assault Pogoman over his port of this excellent mission to Arma2 working version and across Fireball's and Kol9yn's excellent effort to keep it alive and up to date, along with ACE2 support which brought new experience to it, comes a complete, new and fresh revival ( or complete rewrite )l of this excellent mission, brought up to its feet and ready to be battle tested.

I guess patience is a virtue, and eventually it pays off if you are patient enough. Thanks to Outlawz7 ( Project Reality BF2 ) and Ruthberg ( CSE, ACE3 ) mission is breathing new air, totally rewritten from ground up, although lacking some functionality which previous versions had, which will not even be possible in A3 in current state, and those being primarily ambient civilians. ( yep BI Ambient Civilians! )

We got the base code running, showing excellent results, and as such mission is qualified for some alpha testing. Anyone interested with large enough player base ( ~30 and up ) please contact me for details and files.

Files are not YET public, but will be once we finish alpha testing of the core, and make sure there are no any nasty bugs or performance issues. Once that is done, mission will be hosted

God damn forum ate 3/4 of my post....urghhh!!!

• Like 3

Fantastic news, except the 30 players part. I've only got a group of about 6 at the most that'd play. Good luck though!! We played Insurgency more than anything else on ArmA 2.

And hopefully you will be playing it again sooner than you think. :)

patience is a virtue....

I am also one of those which used to play Insurgency in A2/w ACE for countless hours, pushing trough the dense Al Fallujah urban area. I remember it well, and therefore I pushed hard to make this happen again in A3. Yet credit goes to code writers. Without them this would not be possible. Together we form up a team, along with our testers.

Thank you for your support, and keep an eye on this. Soon...

Amazing news! I gave up on porting the A2 version after countless hours of attempted (and obviously failed) workarounds/re-writes.

Long Live Insurgency!

Since some people reported some poor performance I will make additional notes.

• If using ACE3 mod make sure you are not using ace medical for AI or enabling AI unconsciousness - this will cause fps drops, and AI will not drop intel unless dead. If they are uncon they are not counted as dead so you will not see briefcase dropped unless you make AI die ( usually headshot will do on uncon AI )
  • Please avoid using mods with advanced AI management such as Alive or MCC, we have not tested it with it, and these mods might break the mission - if you do use these mods, please report your findings.

Thank you for feedback!

Old school Inusrgency player here. Can't wait to try this in Kunduz. I wish you the best!

Feel free to butcher my spectator script from F3, looking forward to a nice insurgency.

Some quick player observations based on a short session yesterday (I know some of these are known issues / WIP features.. I've tried to limit these notes to just core gameplay stuff - ie: no "virtual arsenal sucks" complaints :p )

-MHQ deploy distance is too large (300m/50m) - almost impossible to redeploy

-AI are spawning too close to players and too soon. They should only spawn at a specific distance and only respawn after X minutes if the square hasn't been cleared (will try tweaking this via params - I think the default for this was 2m!!)

-Sometimes if you kill an AI it immediately respawns on the Ai just killed (see video below)

-some reports of players unable to respawn after X deaths (5 or so?) - will need to gather more info on this one

Other reported stuff is more along the lines of missing features (ie: revive) or wish list items (SLs ability to call in AI trans chopper).

Youtube link of AI respawning visibly and quickly - note this player was in a vehicle however there were also infantry close by who observed the same (enemy range is ~300m). Not sure if this is due to the fact it's a dock and not a building? I have RPTs from server, HC and player who recorded video if needed.

we play session with 12 player yesterday and today.

we underwent a serious server frame drop ~10fps. so i try changed serveral mission parameters but it seems not affect server fps.

and i found a problem causing server fps drop

during firefight, so many dead body cause fps drop and server fps drop. i think garbage collector did not work or did not clean dead body. When delete dead by mcc, server fps increase more than 10 fps.

suggestion

- I think RHS insurgent faction is more better in Altis

we underwent a serious server frame drop ~10fps. so i try changed serveral mission parameters but it seems not affect server fps.

during firefight, so many dead body cause fps drop and server fps drop. i think garbage collector did not work or did not clean dead body. When delete dead by mcc, server fps increase more than 10 fps.

suggestion

Can you check RPT for possible garbage collector errors?

Can you check RPT for possible garbage collector errors?

sorry, I lauch server with -nologs parameter today. I will try it tomorrow

sorry, I lauch server with -nologs parameter today. I will try it tomorrow

LoL, that's what I call proper testing! xD /sarcasm

suggestion

Known issues:

• Advanced AI mods like Alive and MCC ( GAIA ) and others might cause problems ( untested ) and poor server/client performance.

This report was severe so I will reply on this one and for others I will let Ruthberg handle it. Please try without MCC or any advanced AI mods which have garbage collector and alike caching functions, since this may cause our garbage collector to cease functioning or other unexpected behavior. If you play again with MCC please send me your server and client rpt files so i can see where it fails and what is causing the issue. Do try also without MCC as I said and performance should not be the issue. Of course if server performance in general is not in question. You cant host this from your home computer and play on it at the same time especially if your PC is not powerful enough, or you don't have sufficient bandwidth to support amount of players you have.

Thanks for feedback.

Related issue:

- we discovered a severe delay in mission initialization if ASR AI3 mod is used, so I would like to get some feedback on this from you guys. In my tests mission initialization was severely delayed if mentioned mod is used, so check your server rpt after you launch the mission and it starts, and look for these in the logs.

7:18:19 "[insurgency] Finished object initialization in 3.159 seconds"
7:18:19 "[insurgency] Finished grid generation in 0.0100021 seconds"
7:18:23 "[insurgency] Finished headquarter location search in: 3.402 seconds"
7:18:24 "[insurgency] Finished cache generation in 0.306 seconds"

It wont be the same for everyone and not the same on all islands but it should not exceed ~15 seconds in most scenarios. If it does please do tell me which island, what were your parameters, which mods you used, what does your server launch line look like and do you have signature verification on ( so clients cant use any mod they want ) and additionally if you are using BE or not.

Thanks!

Edited by _MaSSive

We can confirm extremely increased initialization time with AI mods running. We were testing on Altis island (unchanged pbo from package). Battleye and signature checks are on.

For parameters, mods and starting line see enclosed RPT snippet. (I can provide full RPT if needed).

(I skipped the most unrelated stuff)

== arma3server.exe  -mod=curator;kart;heli;mark;@CBA_A3;@task_force_radio;@ASR_AI3;@tpwcas_a3;@MightyGau; -ip=5.62.121.149 -port=2302 -maxmem=2047 -noCB -exThreads=1 -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -profiles=config -config=config\server.cfg -cfg=config\basic.cfg -name=arma3 

Version: 1.46.131175

Allocator: X:\arma3\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll

20:46:04                                         @MightyGau |           @MightyGau |      false |             GAME DIR | 0cd66cdee01caeb6bc6980ae34620fe96699125e |  b8f01de0 | X:\arma3\@MightyGau
20:46:04                                         @tpwcas_a3 |           @tpwcas_a3 |      false |             GAME DIR | 43c1086e53e62b8e530db02f0d36cc0c38436732 |  8c5cf062 | X:\arma3\@tpwcas_a3
20:46:04                                            ASR AI3 |             @ASR_AI3 |      false |             GAME DIR | d23479ae63d06189b8207165118d79182418b10e |  9baf3e49 | X:\arma3\@ASR_AI3
20:46:04                   Task Force Arrowhead Radio 0.9.8 |    @task_force_radio |      false |             GAME DIR | 160601833061c05b7551d9c799921b9b93db624d |  55fdf75b | X:\arma3\@task_force_radio
20:46:04                      Community Base Addons v1.1.22 |              @CBA_A3 |      false |             GAME DIR | 13931e8096c70a32d12128f743665c7c20b84ad7 |  85872a09 | X:\arma3\@CBA_A3
20:46:04                                    Arma 3 Marksmen |                 mark |       true |             GAME DIR | d0c05e486c4cc984946df87a4ef21735a653d121 |  4696236c | X:\arma3\mark
20:46:04                                 Arma 3 Helicopters |                 heli |       true |             GAME DIR | 20e528433bb766997e48a432050c2ae62cbddd54 |  aa5c1cd5 | X:\arma3\heli
20:46:04                                       Arma 3 Karts |                 kart |       true |             GAME DIR | ca3f3420a94ec2b85973b00b8c63d4b0574a5c63 |  f88c65c6 | X:\arma3\kart
20:46:04                                        Arma 3 Zeus |              curator |       true |             GAME DIR | ca8a5bb58190eb65da6ce6939b9e461ccdde70a5 |  474a0a58 | X:\arma3\curator
20:46:04                                  Arma 3 DLC Bundle |            dlcbundle |       true |            NOT FOUND |                                          |           | 
20:46:04                                             Arma 3 |                   A3 |       true |            NOT FOUND |                                          |           | 
20:46:04 

2015/07/02, 20:47:31 Mission Insurgency.Altis: Number of roles (36) is different from 'description.ext::Header::maxPlayer' (32)
2015/07/02, 20:47:40 Starting mission:
2015/07/02, 20:47:40  Mission file: Insurgency (__cur_mp)
2015/07/02, 20:47:40  Mission world: Altis
2015/07/02, 20:47:40  Mission directory: mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\

2015/07/02, 20:49:28 "5.032 - TPWCAS_A3 v5.5 Initiated - tpwcas_mode: [3]"
2015/07/02, 20:49:35 "11.777 - TPWCAS_A3 v5.5 Mainloop started"
2015/07/02, 20:49:35 "11.777 - TPWCAS_A3 v5.5 Active - tpwcas_mode: [3]"
2015/07/02, 20:49:37 "[insurgency] Finished object initialization in 82.923 seconds"
2015/07/02, 20:49:42 Server: Network message 186f is pending
2015/07/02, 20:49:42 Server: Network message 1877 is pending
2015/07/02, 20:49:42 Server: Network message 187c is pending
2015/07/02, 20:49:57 "[insurgency] Finished grid generation in 19.824 seconds"
2015/07/02, 20:50:10 "[insurgency] Finished headquarter location search in: 13.026 seconds"

2015/07/02, 20:50:37 "[insurgency] Finished cache generation in 25.368 seconds"

2015/07/02, 21:31:17 Bad conversion: array
2015/07/02, 21:31:17 Error in expression <aticWeapons);

{
if (west countSide (_x nearEntities [["Man", "Car", "Motorcycle>
2015/07/02, 21:31:17   Error position: <nearEntities [["Man", "Car", "Motorcycle>
2015/07/02, 21:31:17   Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected
2015/07/02, 21:31:17 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Altis\functions\common\fn_garbage_collector.sqf, line 15

So far we encountered the following issues or suggestions:

• Deploying MHQ after undeploying was not possible (Error: You cannot deploy near buildings) even if far out in the open.
  • Droprate of intel is too high (every enemy dropped one suitcase)
  • Two players couldn't respawn after their 5th death. After they disconnected and reconnected again it was working again.
    http://www.bigblueonedivision.de/images/ins3_alpha/respawn.jpg (138 kB)
  • Is there a way to disable the annoying vanilla radio chatter?
  • Please expand the garbage collector to dropped items in the base. People tend to litter the place.
  • We also would like to be able to define layout, number and type of vehicles that spawn together with the MHQ by ourselves.
  • Maybe you could add an option to recolor the grid tiles (something else than red-green) because of people with red-green color blindness.

I'm not sure if this is another bug because the mission file was altered. We tried to use a fixed base. After initialization we ended up on the sea floor :-(

EDIT: Tried with the unchanged pbo from the package. If random spawn of MHQ is disabled, you also end up in Davy Jones' locker.

base.jpg

Edited by MadJosch

We are using ASR_AI3 and have not noticed any delays in init however we have only been playing on Stratis.

So far we encountered the following issues or suggestions:

• 1 Deploying MHQ after undeploying was not possible (Error: You cannot deploy near buildings) even if far out in the open.
  • 2 Droprate of intel is too high (every enemy dropped one suitcase)
  • 3 Two players couldn't respawn after their 5th death. After they disconnected and reconnected again it was working again.
    http://www.bigblueonedivision.de/images/ins3_alpha/respawn.jpg (138 kB)
  • 4 Is there a way to disable the annoying vanilla radio chatter?
  • 5 Please expand the garbage collector to dropped items in the base. People tend to litter the place.
  • 6 We also would like to be able to define layout, number and type of vehicles that spawn together with the MHQ by ourselves.
  • 7 Maybe you could add an option to recolor the grid tiles (something else than red-green) because of people with red-green color blindness.

I'm not sure if this is another bug because the mission file was altered. We tried to use a fixed base. After initialization we ended up on the sea floor :-(

EDIT: Tried with the unchanged pbo from the package. If random spawn of MHQ is disabled, you also end up in Davy Jones' locker.

http://www.bigblueonedivision.de/images/ins3_alpha/base.jpg

Can confirm MadJosch's observations:

1 - we adjusted depolyment ranges found in fn_hq_deploy.sqf to fix (we had to go as low as 25m/5m to get the MHQ to deploy anywhere on Stratis)

2- This is an odd one... we noticed this on Wednesday testing however yesterday it seems to be back to 'normal' in that only occasionally there were suitcases dropped (again on Stratis)

3 - this happened to us as well.. disco/reco fixes it

4 - open initPlayerLocal.sqf and at the bottom add:

player setVariable ["BIS_noCoreConversations", true]; player enableSentences false:

6 - this would be great especially the layout option (types can be configured in fn_setup_classnames.sqf)

I also experienced the spawn at [0,0] on Altis - didn't realize it was disabling random MHQ spawn that was causing it.

edit: to have your loadout re-applied on respawn (ie: you respawn with what you had when you died)

add new onPlayerKilled.sqf file containing:

[player, [missionNameSpace, "Current"]] call bis_fnc_saveInventory;

edit existing onPlayerRespawn.sqf and add:

[player, [missionNameSpace, "Current"]] call bis_fnc_loadInventory;

Edited by SavageCDN

- MHQ deployment is buggy I can confirm that, problem is terrain check plus locality of the vehicle in some occasions

- Intel drop rates are random if you disable debug, but with debug on in params ( which is by default and cant be changed in SP ) every insurgent killed will drop it, and I cant reproduce that

- Player not able to spawn after 5th death is indeed a bug, will note that

- Vanilla chatter can be disabled by switching to veteran or elite in game option and running server in veteran mode, but also trough script as SavageCDN pointed out

- About the garbage collector cleaning all unused objects, we shall see about that, shouldn't be that hard, and if possible we will implement it

- MHQ layout is in the works and new one is designed, however we will not design a fixed base, but you can change classnames of vehicles in fn_setup_classnames.sqf

- Colorblindness? Well we havent though of that, but you can change marker colors in fn_generate_grids.sqf by changing the line

_marker setMarkerColor "ColorRed";

to any color you want to change the red grids and green grids are to be changed in fn_grid_monitor.sqf

if (getMarkerColor Str(_pos) == "ColorRed" && {resistance countSide (_pos nearEntities ["Man", 71]) == 0}) then {
               Str(_pos) setMarkerColor "ColorGreen";
           };

by repaclacing the "ColorRed" with whtever color you used in previous function and replacing the "ColorGreen" value to the one desired.

Eventually once these bugs are fixed this will be public on github as I said in introduction and you can customize it the way you want, build fixed bases, place custom vehicles use custom respawn or anything you like.

Please do try with and without asr ai3 and tell me your findings, I think this is causing the delays and because of this you may spawn in the water on some islands. And I don't think tpwcas)a3 is needed anymore, I don't now if it even functions? Also do check paramaters before mission start.

And as I can see from you rpt file

2015/07/02, 20:49:37 "[insurgency] Finished object initialization in 82.923 seconds"

this is a severe delay, and in worse cases I got 32 seconds for this value on dedicated server, but 83 is too much. I have found that ASR AI3 is causing this so please confirm if you can.

Edited by Jastreb

- Colorblindness? Well we havent though of that, but you can change marker colors in fn_generate_grids.sqf by changing the line

Please do try with and without asr ai3 and tell me your findings, I think this is causing the delays and because of this you may spawn in the water on some islands. And I don't think tpwcas)a3 is needed anymore, I don't now if it even functions? Also do check paramaters before mission start.

this is a severe delay, and in worse cases I got 32 seconds for this value on dedicated server, but 83 is too much. I have found that ASR AI3 is causing this so please confirm if you can.

Thanks for the code. We will adjust these colors for our "special" players ;)

We found that the vanilla suppression effect is by far not good nor realistic. So we decided to stick with tpwcas_a3 because it has the better suppression (in our opinion). Also, it is adjustable, vanilla isn't.

Tonight we played for about 5 hours without any noteworthy bug. I'll turn off ASR_AI3 for our session tomorrow. I'm going to report the results.

I was told to tell you how much fun it was to play tonight. Our people had a very good time with your mission. We can't wait to see the final product :-)

*thumbs up*

I'm having an issue with the AI spawns. I believe the" Max AI per square" rule is causing some issues.

-If you move fast enough you can get ahead of them. This is not ideal and in combination with max AI you can outrun the spawns.

-If some players saturate an area with AI a different group of players can clear the other side of the map because max AI count has been reached and no new AI can spawn.

A2 Insurgency counted buildings to place AI. AI spawn and despawn within 200 from each player (think 200m circle around each player). The max AI per player was 4 (when parameter set at 100%). New AI could spawn within 50 meters of a player but no closer (I think that's how it was.). i.e. If a player killed one or a second player entered the area the closest and AI could spawn was 50m from a player.

Your default parameters currently are:

Max enemy per player = 12

Max enemy per grid = 4

Max total enemy = 120

Min spawn radius = 2 (this being set at 2 meters sometimes causes the AI to spawn instantly in the same spot of the AI you just killed.)

Max spawn radius = 500

Max despawn radius = 600

What I would like to do is change how the "Max enemy per grid" is used as I think it's the biggest issue atm. The may need to be max enemy per building per player (example is 1 AI per bldg. per player and a max of 4 AI per player at any given time). The "man" within 3 meter rule should prevent the building from filling up with 34 AI (full player compliment in one location).

Max AI per player at 4 multiplied by 34 players = 136 AI (approximately) on the map at any given time with my suggestion.

The goal is to allow the players to go anywhere they want, in separate direction from one another, and not reach an AI cap that is triggered by a different group of players.

I'd like to change the defaults to:

Max enemy per player = 4

Max AI per building per player = 1 (instead of "Max enemy per grid = 4")

Max total enemy = 150

Min spawn radius = 50 (current parameters are fine just make 30m or 50m default if not seen by player)

Max spawn radius = 200 (Have spawn/despawn radius parameter start at 100 and be in multiples of 100.)

Max despawn radius = 200

Otherwise it's very good so far. We have tons of suggestions but I think this one of the biggest issues we've spotted.

p.s. Having the Min spawn radius so close (i.e. 2 meters) can be some serious fun for advanced players. You need some serious teamwork to clear a square and makes for one hell of an Alamo scenario.

Short info on init times.

Started the server without ASR_AI and tpwcas. Times look like these:

=====================================================================
== X:\arma3\arma3server.exe
== arma3server.exe  -mod=curator;kart;heli;mark;@CBA_A3;@task_force_radio; -ip=5.62.121.149 -port=2302 -maxmem=2047 -noCB -exThreads=1 -malloc=tbb4malloc_bi -profiles=config -config=config\server.cfg -cfg=config\basic.cfg -name=arma3 

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_Server
Exe timestamp: 2015/06/10 17:01:17
Current time:  2015/07/04 13:08:32

Type: Public
Branch: Stable
Version: 1.46.131175

Allocator: X:\arma3\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll

13:08:45                                               name |               modDir |    default |               origin |                                     hash | hashShort | fullPath
13:08:45 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13:08:45                   Task Force Arrowhead Radio 0.9.8 |    @task_force_radio |      false |             GAME DIR | 160601833061c05b7551d9c799921b9b93db624d |  55fdf75b | X:\arma3\@task_force_radio
13:08:45                      Community Base Addons v1.1.22 |              @CBA_A3 |      false |             GAME DIR | 13931e8096c70a32d12128f743665c7c20b84ad7 |  85872a09 | X:\arma3\@CBA_A3
13:08:45                                    Arma 3 Marksmen |                 mark |       true |             GAME DIR | d0c05e486c4cc984946df87a4ef21735a653d121 |  4696236c | X:\arma3\mark
13:08:45                                 Arma 3 Helicopters |                 heli |       true |             GAME DIR | 20e528433bb766997e48a432050c2ae62cbddd54 |  aa5c1cd5 | X:\arma3\heli
13:08:45                                       Arma 3 Karts |                 kart |       true |             GAME DIR | ca3f3420a94ec2b85973b00b8c63d4b0574a5c63 |  f88c65c6 | X:\arma3\kart
13:08:45                                        Arma 3 Zeus |              curator |       true |             GAME DIR | ca8a5bb58190eb65da6ce6939b9e461ccdde70a5 |  474a0a58 | X:\arma3\curator
13:08:45                                  Arma 3 DLC Bundle |            dlcbundle |       true |            NOT FOUND |                                          |           | 
13:08:45                                             Arma 3 |                   A3 |       true |            NOT FOUND |                                          |           | 
13:08:45 ==========================================================================================================================================================================================================

2015/07/04, 13:10:55 File dialogs\forecast.hpp, line 255: '/Forecast_dialog/controls/RscButton_1602.action': Missing ';' prior '}'

2015/07/04, 13:11:08 Mission Insurgency.Altis: Number of roles (36) is different from 'description.ext::Header::maxPlayer' (32)

2015/07/04, 13:16:13 "[insurgency] Finished object initialization in 15.293 seconds"
2015/07/04, 13:16:17 "[insurgency] Finished grid generation in 3.53598 seconds"
2015/07/04, 13:16:20 "[insurgency] Finished headquarter location search in: 2.69501 seconds"
2015/07/04, 13:16:24 "[insurgency] Finished cache generation in 3.52698 seconds"

@ Pitn

Thanks for suggestions, Ruthberg wrote that and I will let him handle it. We must combine the math and come up with optimal solution for both gameplay and performance, but it must work the same for 10 players and 30. It is very hard to achieve, but as I said, let Ruthberg handle it. I know you were trying to port it too, and if you are interested you can join us on ACE3 public slack, by requesting access here.

@MadJosch

Yes I thought so. And that is init with debug being on ( parameters ) probably, and if you turn it off it will get to 7-8 seconds init. Thanks for checking.

@MadJosch

Yes I thought so. And that is init with debug being on ( parameters ) probably, and if you turn it off it will get to 7-8 seconds init. Thanks for checking.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: yes, debug was on. Rest of the settings were default.