Hey Guys, I thought I'd split this off from FEMAL3 so it can remain a dedicated suggestions/problems/release thread and it's not too confusing.

Basically, as a sort of break from FEMAL3 development, I decided to work on varying the Arma 3 male heads a bit more than they are, currently the NATO faction has only one head model and not every soldier on the planet has the same facial shape.

The Masculine head pack will add much more variation to the selectable head models, currently two new variations have been made and imported, they closely resemble each other, however one has a different shape of nose and a slightly slimmer jaw.

features:

• Uses exactly the same identity types as default units
    this means that they will be picked at random by the engine when loading troops (even in the single player campaign)
  • Complete with new facial textures and corresponding normal maps
    these will aim to complement the new facial shapes and make the soldiers look more like they've been in a fight.
  • rigged to talk
  • Diverse selections will be available, from slim to fat
    be aware that larger heads may not work well with some facewear
  • fully compatible with all A3 textures
  • I also aim to diversify the NATO and CSAT factions, with asian and persian faces available on NATO and caucasian and african heads on CSAT

with some extra additions on the developer's side, they can be made completely compatible with Camofaces and ASCZ heads as well.

original BIS head(excuse the eyepatch):

107410_2015_01_12_00001_by_zeealex-d8rxm5d.png

107410_2015_01_12_00003_by_zeealex-d8rxmd1.png

Current Progress Screenshots:

107410_2015_05_02_00001_by_zeealex-d8rxjcg.png

107410_2015_05_02_00004_by_zeealex-d8rxkau.png

107410_2015_05_02_00002_by_zeealex-d8rxjhq.png

107410_2015_04_30_00014_by_zeealex-d8rxjst.png

107410_2015_04_30_00011_by_zeealex-d8rxk1w.png

I hope you enjoy their look :) I doubt it will take me long to release the current two variations, I just need to reconfigure some textures :)

• Like 7

This sounds awesome, cool idea. I can see this becoming a must have for mission makers

Yes, maybe you can make it where there isn't just one of each non-caucasian head.

Although not a big deal it always bothered me all the heads looked the same. These new heads you've made look awesome, and really liking the way you are doing it so default units will use them without any extra effort on players side.

Pretty cool how much of a different feel small variations too head shape does.

Thou not a big deal, this is something I can see being nice for mission makers who want characters to be less cookie cutter. Plus always nice to having someone that allows you to make your character more unique.

Awesome, I love it ! Any idea about the size at the moment ? 30mb ?

thank you guys! :) very good to hear that your thoughts are positive :)

Yes, maybe you can make it where there isn't just one of each non-caucasian head.

of course, it might take sightly longer to make them, but they will be available too :) the asiatic heads bug me a bit.

as for size, i'll check that out for you, it should be roughly 10megs at present but i'll let you know the exact size later :)

Edited by zeealex
blooming autocorrect!

thanks samy :)

the file size currently is 5 megs, so I'd project that it would come under 30 megabytes by the time it's fully completed.

Looks like awesome work! Refreshing change from vanilla.

I hope that they dont break with balaclavas and such hopefully.

I wonder if it is possible for you to do faces with 3d beards or hair? That would be really cool.

Oh wow these are gorgeous!(no-homo)

And like Mike asked, hows the compatibility with headgear? i kinda assume they're made compatibly with RHS content but what about the vanilla face bandanas and balaclavas?

Oh wow these are gorgeous!(no-homo)

And like Mike asked, hows the compatibility with headgear? i kinda assume they're made compatibly with RHS content but what about the vanilla face bandanas and balaclavas?

Yeah, I hope they will retain vanilla compatibility (which from the looks of the screenshots they seem to be thus far) rather than catering more to one mods "standards" or another's. Though in terms of heads I wouldn't imagine there to be too much variation in shape to cause too much issue, and most modded headgear will be designed to fit default heads (as up until this addon releases that is all we have :P).

the current two heads work perfectly with headgear

107410_2015_05_04_00004_by_zeealex-d8s5fe6.png

107410_2015_05_04_00002_by_zeealex-d8s5fda.png

these two heads are actually slightly smaller than the BIS default ones so they work with practically anything I throw at them.

and of course, upon release, you're welcome to try them out yourself and report any errors.

I will look at the possibility of beards, it all depends on how these heads work, and weather they should be attached as proxies or made part of the model

Edited by zeealex

A part of the model would be awesome. The beards as attachments worked for a quick fix but were abit too clunky IMO. If modeled to the head, maybe executed like camo faces with a couple selections of shaven/stubble and beard it would do well too look more natural to the face

these two heads are actually slightly smaller than the BIS default ones so they work with practically anything I throw at them.

and of course, upon release, you're welcome to try them out yourself and report any errors.

Awesome. This is good news, thanks.

A part of the model would be awesome. The beards as attachments worked for a quick fix but were abit too clunky IMO. If modeled to the head, maybe executed like camo faces with a couple selections of shaven/stubble and beard it would do well too look more natural to the face

Agreed. The "proxied on beards" always look too artificial and glued on, like a fake santa beard. I think a modelled beard as part of the head model itself, whilst more limited as to which face textures it can use, would look a lot more natural.

awful zee...

:P

Looking great!

Seems as though you managed to correct, to some extent, the vanilla heads snake eyes!

One of the things about the original Vanilla heads was how wrong the eyes were:

There is a white glassy-ness or sheen painted into the texture that gives them a sort of unnatural lizard like visage and thus created an uncomfortable 'Uncanny Valley' feeling.

Most evident when they are staring at you in the back of a vehicle. Creeps me out.

Your guy in the 4th screen-shot has his eyes just right. If there was indeed any way for you to 'retro-fit' the vanilla models with improved eyes that would be excellent, otherwise keep up the great work!

E

beards as part of the model, noted, there is a way of making the head still use the same UV and the beard as a seperate material, so it shouldnt be limited in any way.

any particular beard shapes in mind?

@pufu, aaaaw thank you buddy XD

@electricleash, what if I told you they use the exact same eyes? I retrofitted the BIS eye models to this head, they do look different though, I'll take in mind what you said though, and i'll see if I can make any alterations to the specular map to make them seem less painted.

in other news, development has stalled indefinitely, the BI tools are no longer functioning correctly and the packer is recognising every p3d I save as a corrupted file. and addonbuilder doesnt seem to store file paths correctly, so resultant from that, I cant pack anything.

beards as part of the model, noted, there is a way of making the head still use the same UV and the beard as a seperate material, so it shouldnt be limited in any way.

any particular beard shapes in mind?

Only one suitable answer! Special forces beards!

especially: http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/RV-AL870_LOSE_G_20131023185056.jpg

in other news, development has stalled indefinitely, the BI tools are no longer functioning correctly
Well something had to break, it was a BI update :P

in other news, development has stalled indefinitely, the BI tools are no longer functioning correctly and the packer is recognising every p3d I save as a corrupted file. and addonbuilder doesnt seem to store file paths correctly, so resultant from that, I cant pack anything.

I've had a similar issue with Mikero's pboProject since the 1.44 update/tools patch (a fact that has encouraged me to donate to him and subscribe to his tools). Oddly though AddonBuilder still functions and is able to pack my pbo files.

Edited by Jackal326

Sad to hear, although i have no issues using BI Tools. My p3ds are working fine and my addon builder is packing fine. Perhaps verify your BI Tools in Steam?

hey r0adki11, I've set up a thread here detailing what I have done so far to try and get some understanding of the issue, I did verify it and it came up with one file failed to verify and the file was reacquired, the models still dont work and I eventually reinstalled the entirety of my toolset, no joy so far