.kju

Steam workshop policing is meant to work how?

Wow, sry if I hurt anyones feelings. Just to make things clear: I´m absolutely on the modders side here, I just think the Workshop is a great tool (except the EULA) and I believe it could be even better with a change in the EULA.

i'm by far no expert on the technicalities but to me this all sounds a bit overkill. like people calling for encypted pbos that one time. i also can't see this working so well. sure you could use signatures i guess but that doesn't sound like it would keep people from repacking data into a new pbo creating a new key, right?

True but with a difference from the current situation: since the key you're signing with is tied to your Steam account, it's very easy for BI to take action if you break their terms (repacking other peoples content). It would even allow them to revoke a user's ability to upload anything to the Arma Workshop by making their key invalid. Since it's only modders and mission makers applying for keys, the regular users that upload collections would hit a wall and people who conciously repackage mods are revealing their true intentions.

anything else would require messing with the pbos themselves resulting in people not being able to even look at other people's work for educational purposes, right?

Let's just hope that doesn't happen, ever. It would probably be a death-blow to Arma modding.

i'd rather have someone (*cough..BIS..* ;)) team up with foxhound and make an armaholic launcher that draws files directly from the site's servers (maybe BI could sponsor additional servers). not sure how hard it would be but there are already tools that do similar stuff in one or the other way (community tools updater comes to mind).

Agreed, that would be very nice to have.

i know people are protective of their work for good reasons and i'm like that too in certain cases but let's not pull a "patriot act" move out of fear. there's always good and bad sides to "solutions" like that. like promoting hiding and not sharing of knowledge and an overall overly competitive focus much like the hated life communities do among themselves. and i don't think it will keep anyone from making the tools to go around any type of encryption.

I don't think there'll be any encryption for community-made stuff, the consequences are just too severe and as you pointed out, people will probably break it.

armaholic is already the trusted working "system" that is asked for. it's already there. it just needs to get the benefits of the workshop. which as far as i'm concerned are auto download and update. doesn't sound like rocket science to me (especially looking at how many dayZ mod launchers there are). the only thing would be, as mentioned, the required infrastructure to cope with the traffic. i might be missing something though. just thinking out loud.

Arma 3 was released as a Steam-exclusive and BI was probably hoping that eventually everyone would move to the workshop. I personally never will because I hate the interface and the way it's organised.

An Armaholic launcher would be something but you could also take this one step further since BI is already working on their own: allow sites like Armaholic to provide a manifest of the mods they host and use that within the launcher to download missing content. Since they already have access to the Steam workshop contents, they can merge those lists and provide automated mod downloads. And here's the fun thing: if the manifest the sites provide contained a notAllowedOnSteam-flag for each mod, they could do a check when merging the lists and create an automated report which shows 'suspect' mods on Steam.

Edited by BadLuckBurt
because all my text was bold -.-

I really like the Armaholic partnership idea, but does Armaholic like the idea? :)

Anyway, the launcher thing sounds like a good compromise : people arguing that Steams allows easy access & management could use it for the non-Steam mods...

And I guess it would be nice to see a close collaboration between Armaholic & BIS - I'm convinced that one wouldn't exist without the other (and that goes both ways).

yea sure. but imho it's unlikely to change since it applies to all games on the workshop, doesn't it? why would they change it for one game and its community? but who knows. maybe a separate EULA for arma would be possible. something you have to agree to when you use the workshop a la apple itunes harassment ;)

but it sounds probably more realistic than making a new system to watermark/protect files i guess.

I think quite lot of ignore the fact there was already massive change we discussed with Valve for STEAM and it's Workshop EULAs

Arma modding was one of the key elements fueling it ...

yet, obviously that wasn't enough for some ...

p.s. JK posted in somewhere we will try address some additional issues with Valve but can't give any ETA on results

I think quite lot of ignore the fact there was already massive change we discussed with Valve for STEAM and it's Workshop EULAs

Arma modding was one of the key elements fueling it ...

yea i'm obviously not well informed on the matter, because quite frankly i don't care that much about it, sorry :o. i don't see Valve trying to steal mod content anyways so why act like they want to on principle. so that is non issue for me based on the lack of a precedence and logical motivation alone.

once you upload stuff on the net it's out of your hands either way. armaholic didn't keep A3L from taking what they liked. i mean i'm all for keeping the workshop legit but i also don't see that happen without reporting by hand.

on that matter though i gotta say that armaholic is superior there because stuff gets checked BEFORE uploading. the main thing that makes reporting on the workshop in the long run look so tedious (because it is) is because everyone can first upload stuff and then it has to be found and checked. armaholic going through actual people (foxhound) FIRST skips all those extra steps.

maybe that can be taken as inspiration. having more moderators on the workshop and verifying downloads before they get accessible maybe. you can always flag them later if they slip through. they would catch the obvious offenders that jsut want stuff like RHS on the WS but ofc also means more work.

i still think some kind of integration of armaholic into the launcher like someone mentioned would be amazing. best of both worlds. maybe through some kind of link files like torrents.

maybe a really really poignantly written guideline that every uploader is forced to read before any submission will help A little?

Removed after a full research about the mission.

I think the people need be more original labeling missions to avoid mistakes.

I can't see this Steam policing, is ever going to work. :(

This mod contains copyrighted music

Included in his description:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485721510&searchtext=custom+music

Changelog: 
25/07/15 
Added: 
- The Last of Us soundtracks 
- Splinter Cell soundtracks 
- Linking Park Iridescent single 
- ACDC Highway to Hell single 

27/07/15 
Added: 
- Inspirational speech by Shia Labeouf (EXTRA) 
- Hi! Okeh.. vine (EXTRA) 
- Arma 3 campaign intro (news flash) (EXTRA) 
- Pewdiepie: Fabulous Duck episode (EXTRA) 

- Beyond Two Souls: Jodie's Suite OST 

14/08/15 
Added: 
- Linking Park: Lost In The Echo 
- Linking Park: What I've Done 
- Guns 'n' Roses: Welcome to the jungle 
- Bullet for my Valentine: Tears don't fall 
- Transformers ROFT: The Fallen 
- Transformers AOE: Lockdown 
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (credits) 
- Badger Mushroom Snake (to annoy your friends xD) 

24/08/15 
Added: 
- Transformers ROFT: Heed Our Warning 
- Transformers ROFT: The Shard 
- Transformers ROFT: Prime 
- Transformers ROFT: Infinite White 
- Transformers ROFT: Tomb of the Primes 
- Transformers ROFT: NEST 
- Transformers DOTM: The Fight Will Be Your Own 
- Call of Duty 4: All Ghillied Up 
- Battlefield 2 Modern Combat: Headshot 
- Imagine Dragons: Dream 

26/08/15 
Added: 
- Transformers DOTM: Battle 
- Transformers 2007: Arrival to Earth 
- Transformers 2007: The All Spark 
- Game of Thrones: Mother of Dragons 
- Game of Thrones: Dance of Dragons 
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2: Zodiac Chase 
- Jihad soundtrack 
- Battlefield 2 MC: Air Traffic 
- Two Steps From Hell: To Glory 
- Otherworld Trailer: Collosus

A version modded of Exile??

no, that doesn't include Exile. Description says Exile is a requirement. But I bet there's some other unauthorized content in there though.

OPTRE:

That seems to be the official release.

tracer mod

Sounds official as well. The  same name as the author in the forums: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184303-tracers-mod-tracers-every-round/

thank you for the headsup, DMCA has been filled for RHS content 

no, that doesn't include Exile. Description says Exile is a requirement. But I bet there's some other unauthorized content in there though.

That seems to be the official release.

Sounds official as well. The  same name as the author in the forums: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184303-tracers-mod-tracers-every-round/

Edit: seems to be a steam release not posted in this forum (this forum and Armaholic are my only sources to find this "ninjas")

A mod pack that includes:

This Modpack includes : A10 Warthog , AH 64 Apache , Brittish Ridgback more then 30 different humvee´s , many different C130 planes , Female Face´s and Clothing , all reallife Weapons .
Over 2000 Insignia/ Patches and many more...

None of the is created by the uploader.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=517408641&searchtext=

Hi, just wanted to apologize to the creators of the mods I uploaded, it was not my intent to undermine you and after reading through this thread in it's entirety I understand the impact that I had. - MasturBacon

• Like 2