Sign in to follow this  
semiconductor

Community challenge as advertising

That's kinda funny: seven years ago everybody complained about spam in their inboxes but today people are ok with spending 10 minutes on relatively challenging activity to earn their right to see an ad. :)

What a time to be alive and work in advertising business. :cool:

That's kinda funny: seven years ago everybody complained about spam in their inboxes but today people are ok with spending 10 minutes on relatively challenging activity to earn their right to see an ad. :)

What a time to be alive and work in advertisement business. :cool:

Yes, pictures of new content, a slight glimpse into the future for a game you're interested in is exactly the same as unsolicited spam for penis enlargement pills. FPDR

Yes, pictures of new content, a slight glimpse into the future for a game you're interested in is exactly the same as unsolicited spam for penis enlargement pills. FPDR

'Unsolicited'? What do you mean?! Those messages were more than welcome but there were just too many of them.

But an ad one is interested in is still ad, right? Anyway, that was just an observation how advertising strategies used in Internet have changed in the recent years.

I think this strategy is clever and community minded. I usually dislike those drills but had fun trying them for that challenge.

'Unsolicited'? What do you mean?! Those messages were more than welcome but there were just too many of them.

Lmao XD

I don't understand this topic at all. Ad? Inbox spam? Is someone on drugs or what :confused:

I really hate this type of advertising and the companies that use it. I think its more acceptable than just plain spamming people because instead of the company doing it your friends do it for them to get trinkets. A few pictures of some guns that will probably be released in 2 weeks time? Come on why sell yourself to advertise for a company for a few measly jpegs?

I guess not everyone realises what these companies are asking them to do, that they are doing unpaid advertising via social media. Working for the man for nothing of any value at all.

Can BIS do anything without someone posting a rant about it?...

Its completely possible to do good things and not have a rant. But when you do things people don't like you'll see a rant.

I guarantee if they announced they had increased performance 100% and it turned out to be true there would only be requests for even more performance. Rants happen when you do something that isn't very nice to your customer base, and a lot of recent things have not been very nice. Like blaming mods and mission makers for all the performance problems, that wasn't very nice. Using your customers to advertise your DLC is a little bit shady and backhanded. If you play with the darkside you can guarantee people will call you out on it.

That kind of creative, engaged advertisement I like. Good idea, making ad as a mini-game based on advertised game itself and using community common effort in such way. Interesting indeed.

Well, not this particular case, as for me - never liked timed challenges, kinda annoying trying to accomplish something, you never was good enough at. :) Tried once, thought I was shot all those "lollipops", but apparently no. Time of course tragic, the more, I was looking for those additional targets.

I look forward to see even better initiatives of that kind. Maybe something involving real fight, with mini-plot or a bit of role playing, not just Steam badge from the shooting range?

I don't understand this topic at all.
Didn't mean to start a thread. :) I originally posted my comment in "Your GUIDE To The "Bonus Targets Achievement!" topic but for some reason (to prevent derailing perhaps) somebody from mods moved it into separate thread.
Can somebody rant about something BI did without someone ranting about rant? :D

Besides I'm not demanding BI to shut the challenge and publicly recant, I just found it interesting considering general opposition to the ads in any form. Honestly, I'm not really delighted by this approach (IMO it's kinda manipulative, maybe because I'm not into all this challenges and achievement stuff) but it seems to be better and perhaps more effective for BI than showing "Locked DLCs" bar in the Main Menu.

Edited by Semiconductor

It's interesting how nicely this as advertisement works. The thing is, when i originally posted my Guide to unlocking the Achievement with R3vo, and posted it on forums that use Arma 3, not that much buzz occurred. For 2 days it went from 1 view to 60 views. After today when i showed results, and posted updated pictures of the new guns, it jumped to 176 views. This hopefully will mean that more players will begin trying to unlock it, which means the faster it may spread word, and the faster it will unlock the remaining photos of Artwork. This also may result in more people being interested in buying the Marksman DLC or the Bundle to save money, if they already haven't.

If you dislike achievements, you can use Steam Achievement Manager (At your own risk), I always unlock all achievements for my games to get rid of them... :)

So you could say I cheated in this "challenge".

I actually liked the Idea... come on, everybody is curious to know which weapons are going to be ingame, and litterally the drill take less then 2 min to complete. I also dig the 3 weapons they showed (expecially the sig556).

I just hope they aint gonna be low quality pieces like the sniper rifles we have ingame now because they litterally sucks. As well as I hope they are going to have their proper animations.

Well, so far all three weapons have conveniently avoided the bolt-action issues by being semiauto so "proper animations" is probably not the problem, and indeed two are introducing calibers towards the longer-distance/higher-caliber situations (the third being in an already-represented caliber)...

Well, so far all three weapons have conveniently avoided the bolt-action issues by being semiauto so "proper animations" is probably not the problem, and indeed two are introducing calibers towards the longer-distance/higher-caliber situations (the third being in an already-represented caliber)...

If there won't be any new bolt-action sniper rifle that will be disappointing :/

Can somebody rant about something BI did without someone ranting about rant? :D

Touche sir.

Email direct marketing has been around for some time. If whatever the email contains leads the users to create word of mouth (negative or positive) than it's all a fair game.

If there won't be any new bolt-action sniper rifle that will be disappointing :/

or at least have proper bolt anims on the existing ones. would be kinda embarrassing to have a marksman themed DLC but not those anims. it's 2015 ffs.

There is hope for that German round in the bottom right being in a Bolt Action. However, your dreams may be crushed if a version of the SVDK takes that round. =D

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

If you dislike achievements, you can use Steam Achievement Manager (At your own risk), I always unlock all achievements for my games to get rid of them... :)

So you could say I cheated in this "challenge".

What a non-fun, but super fast way to beat the challenge. Almost tempted to share this method, but I think I'll let people actually do the mission. Hmmm. Didn't know that was possible.

Inb4 auto achievements don't count. =P

I agree. I think the next two pics to be released with be MMGs and then, fingers crossed, we'll get some kind of bolt action. Just looking through the pictures again I never realized that .300 Win Mag was in the ammo list (or that German calibre) so I have hope yet.