Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Arma Reflecting Today's Modern Day Warfare Tomorrow

In light of what's happening across the Middle East right now, I think it would be fair to say that 'if' BIS were to retrospectively chose to create a storyline with what's going on in the Middle East right now, it would prove to be extremely popular. There's no escaping or denying that the majority of consumers were disappointed with the Iranian futuristic storyline. But I guess BIS were between a rock and a hard place as they could have only felt that they had to create something new and refreshing.

There will be people who of course would have been bored with killing an enemy like Arma 2's poorly equipped Taliban militants. But today's adversary has proven to be a totally different beast altogether. Anyone following what's going on right now in Iraq and Syria will know that ISIS, ISIL, IS, Islamic State - or whatever sh*tty little name they like to call themselves - are in fact a very organised, professional and well armed militant group with access to anti-air/tank weaponry, and all the armour and munitions today's armies currently have (almost). The militants even have, or at least had access to fighter jets.

IMHO BIS now have the perfect opportunity to 'loosely' base a new storyline and mission scenarios on these historical events. Not to mention that BIS will be free from the controversy of upsetting people of a particular faith, race and nationality. Creating missions and side missions to degrade and destroy a well armed militant group based on militant similar to ISIS would IMO make an awesome expansion, mod or future release of the series.

What are people's thoughts?

1913348_10203698155314643_6795381782459801077_o_zpsc6qxokx8.jpg

Awesome idea.

Not only would it allow for a contemporary conflict to take precedent but it would allow the oppourtunity to add much of the content that people who play arma want.

You could have the irregular faction compromised of cool older weapons such as recoiless rifles, light mortars, technicals, improvised explosives, and improvised missile trucks.

I am all for that.

In my opinion BI made a right decision to stay away from real world events. Arma 3 as well as any other game is not a right place to advertise your political views, no matter what those views are.

In my opinion BI made a right decision to stay away from real world events. Arma 3 as well as any other game is not a right place to advertise your political views, no matter what those views are.

How have BIS stayed away from "real world events"? War is a 'real world' event; war is inevitable. It's a fact of life and wars will be fought regardless where and by whom for as long as there's life on this planet. There's no politics or religions to that matter involved here, but only ideas for creating and preventing a group of potential Arma fictional adversaries from imposing their way of life on the rest of the world. I suggest you read my initial post more carefully instead of making assumptions that I'm advertising my political views.

How have BIS stayed away from "real world events"?
By not picking side of some real-world conflict or giving preference to a some political view. After all, BI making a game, not a campaign speech. :)
I suggest you read my initial post more carefully instead of making assumptions that I'm advertising my political views.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you personally advertising your own political views, only that entertainment and politics are usually mutually exclusive things and the best way to ruin a game for at least some part of audience is adding a bit of politics in it.

I agree BIS is cool for staying out of real life situations. However, that doesn't mean they can't use real life groups, they did in previous titles. Also, ISIS is by no means anything political. Just another Opfor group hell bent on world destruction. It would be cool to have, though, we already do. There are 3 different mods for this now.

There's no escaping or denying that the majority of consumers were disappointed with the Iranian futuristic storyline.

Stopped reading here.

Just because this nonsense gets repeated all the time it doesn't become true. Guess what, I bet the major of consumers didn't cared, because usually only the disappointed ones are voicing their opinion loud.

I love current story line, and am eagerly awaiting it's continuation. There's so much they can do with it. They could do two versions of it cobsidering the ending.

Stopped reading here.

Just because this nonsense gets repeated all the time it doesn't become true. Guess what, I bet the major of consumers didn't cared, because usually only the disappointed ones are voicing their opinion loud.

You should have continued to have read the next paragraph, as it's not all one-sided. I think BIS' forum polls even proves that the "majority" of consumers (not saying you or many others) would have preferred 'not' to have had the futuristic storyline.

You should have continued to have read the next paragraph, as it's not all one-sided. I think BIS' forum polls even proves that the "majority" of consumers (not saying you or many others) would have preferred 'not' to have had the futuristic storyline.

Only poll I remember was:

"I'd rather have a modern or historic (Cold War) setting" - 44%

Likes the current setting or doesn't care - 56%

I can't see many signs of disappointment.

I, personally, love the futuristic setting and would hate if BIS suddenly went back 20 years in an expansion. For Arma 4, it would work though.

IMHO BIS now have the perfect opportunity to 'loosely' base a new storyline and mission scenarios on these historical events. Not to mention that BIS will be free from the controversy of upsetting people of a particular faith, race and nationality. Creating missions and side missions to degrade and destroy a well armed militant group based on militant similar to ISIS would IMO make an awesome expansion, mod or future release of the series.

This game already exists and is called Operation Arrowhead. If the official campaign/scenarios aren't enough, there are tons of user made missions, assets and maps set in scenarios similar to Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and so on.

If I got a dollar for every time someone used the word futuristic. <.<

It's not actually futuristic. It's modern. Modern dictates what we have now, and what is currently capable. Arma 3 has content consisting of modern capabilities. In fact, they're far as heck behind Futuristic. Let me name you some more modern things that used to be futuristic. Lasers. Metal Storm Static Weaponry. Electromagnetic Railgun. Tilt-Rotor. All of these things are modern. Well, idk that much about Metal Storm, haven't seen it in action much yet.

If I got a dollar for every time someone used the word futuristic. <.<

It's not actually futuristic. It's modern. Modern dictates what we have now, and what is currently capable. Arma 3 has content consisting of modern capabilities. In fact, they're far as heck behind Futuristic. Let me name you some more modern things that used to be futuristic. Lasers. Metal Storm Static Weaponry. Electromagnetic Railgun. Tilt-Rotor. All of these things are modern. Well, idk that much about Metal Storm, haven't seen it in action much yet.

If I got a dollar every time Jakerod tells you what "futuristic" means.

We should put this whole futuristic thing to rest:

Dictionary.com: of or relating to the future

Google: having or involving very modern technology or design.

Free Dictionary: Of or relating to the future

Merriam Webster: very modern, relating to or telling about events in the future

Wikipedia: The future is what will happen in the time after the present.

Point taken, point proved. No mean to come off as a jakerod, but everything I mentioned is used in the now, before the future which is the days ahead of today, therefore, it is Modern Technology.

Point taken, point proved. No mean to come off as a jakerod, but everything I mentioned is used in the now, before the future which is the days ahead of today, therefore, it is Modern Technology.

People are calling the setting futuristic, not a setting with futuristic technology. There are several things in Arma 3 that are futuristic concerning the different factions.

People are calling the setting futuristic, not a setting with futuristic technology. There are several things in Arma 3 that are futuristic concerning the different factions.

Ahhh, I see what you mean now.

I was more disappointed with ArmA III's conflict because I actually didn't understand it.

- ArmA: CWC has Guba acting on his own in the Malden islands, leading to a conflict involving three campaigns (Resistance, Red Hammer, and Cold War Crisis)

- ArmA I has a conflict between a northern and southern groups on Sahrani (Sahrani Conflict, Rahmadi Conflict) that leads to a potential tyranny (Royal Flush)

- ArmA II focused on dealing with terrorists on Chernarus (Harvest Red, Operation Silver Lion) that had some connection to Colonel Aziz and the Takastan region (Operation Arrowhead, Operation Crimson Lance, Operation Black Gauntlet)

ArmA III's campaign was focused on the AAF having a conflict with CSAT that somehow escalated into AAF and CSAT working together..? I really didn't understand what the hell was going on. I bring all of this up because I don't mind what Bohemia does as long as they can reasonably build up a conflict. It doesn't have to be based on actual, real life things, as I don't think many games have done that tastefully. I think when ArmA III's conflict was first announced, people were perplexed that it appeared to be Iranian forces as the central enemy. Many consider Iran to be a very small threat in the world theater today, especially one that cannot rival NATO.

Anyone following what's going on right now in Iraq and Syria will know that ISIS, ISIL, IS, Islamic State - or whatever sh*tty little name they like to call themselves - are in fact a very organised, professional and well armed militant group with access to anti-air/tank weaponry, and all the armour and munitions today's armies currently have (almost). The militants even have, or at least had access to fighter jets.

They are FAR, FAR away from being "professional", considering their recent acts. They can't even bargain legitimately.

Just another Opfor group hell bent on world destruction.

I'm not totally sure its just Opfor.. ;)

They are FAR, FAR away from being "professional", considering their recent acts. They can't even bargain legitimately.

Jordan believe their pilot was killed on January the 3rd. He was a fighter pilot responsible for raining down death terror with powerful weapons and loathed more than snipers and mercenaries. He was never ever going to make it out of there alive. I've watched the video of his execution and it was very, very professionally produced and edited with very powerful propaganda. When the likes of ISIS are selling oil from captured oil fields to finance their operations that is professional and highly a organised organisation. ISIS aren't Taliban tribesmen.. they're special forces, computer experts, war veterans, ex-fighter pilots even. It would be a grave mistake for anyone to underestimate an enemy like ISIS.

But getting back on track with the original post... I think BIS and its devs could create something special and very convincing from that kind of warfare and enemy. Whether it's a fictional book or a potential movie's spec script, the reader will need to believe in what they're reading for the author/screenwriter to have any chance of successfully selling their work. Why do we currently only have three factions? If a coalition exists in real warfare why not incorporate a multinational faction? Why shouldn't say for arguments sake a Jordanian fighter pilot fly a sortie alongside American and British warplanes etc..? We have to remember that consumers come from around all four corners of the globe so giving a consumer an option to choose a role of their nationality will be hugely welcomed IMO.

Jordan believe their pilot was killed on January the 3rd. He was a fighter pilot responsible for raining down death terror with powerful weapons and loathed more than snipers and mercenaries. He was never ever going to make it out of there alive. I've watched the video of his execution and it was very, very professionally produced and edited with very powerful propaganda. When the likes of ISIS are selling oil from captured oil fields to finance their operations that is professional and highly a organised organisation. ISIS aren't Taliban tribesmen.. they're special forces, computer experts, war veterans, ex-fighter pilots even. It would be a grave mistake for anyone to underestimate an enemy like ISIS.

But getting back on track with the original post... I think BIS and its devs could create something special and very convincing from that kind of warfare and enemy. Whether it's a fictional book or a potential movie's spec script, the reader will need to believe in what they're reading for the author/screenwriter to have any chance of successfully selling their work. Why do we currently only have three factions? If a coalition exists in real warfare why not incorporate a multinational faction? Why shouldn't say for arguments sake a Jordanian fighter pilot fly a sortie alongside American and British warplanes etc..? We have to remember that consumers come from around all four corners of the globe so giving a consumer an option to choose a role of their nationality will be hugely welcomed IMO.

I've already requested that NATO and CSAT, given it's treaty role for most of the middle east and Asia, be Multi-National. They could most certainly do this with the Expansion, as it brings a whole new terrain, which governs the introduction of a whole new faction as well, but likely, it'll unfortunately leave NATO being just a short term for "Murica".

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

I'm not totally sure its just Opfor.. ;)

Correction, hehe, Independent group that is permanently set on Enemy to Everyone.

I've already requested that NATO and CSAT, given it's treaty role for most of the middle east and Asia, be Multi-National. They could most certainly do this with the Expansion, as it brings a whole new terrain, which governs the introduction of a whole new faction as well, but likely, it'll unfortunately leave NATO being just a short term for "Murica".

Pretty positive that NATO in ArmA 3 includes faces of different nationalities.

I've continued the discussion of ISIS here.

But getting back on track with the original post... I think BIS and its devs could create something special and very convincing from that kind of warfare and enemy. Whether it's a fictional book or a potential movie's spec script, the reader will need to believe in what they're reading for the author/screenwriter to have any chance of successfully selling their work.

The earlier games in the series were exactly this. Fictious conflicts that nevertheless drew so much inspiration and familiarity with real world conflicts that they were very believable and easy to relate to. It is only Arma 3 that created an alien geopolitical environment and quite a messy or lacking story around it. You are rooting for a setting that isn't that much different from Takistan.

Looks like TC is not very 'up-to-date' when it comes to these matters, else he would know the IS mod for ArmA 3 was removed by the maker himself. If a relatively anonymous modder on a forum feels he might have problems because he released such a mod, imagine the shit-storm BI would get from the media if they included IS in their official expansion pack or next title. God forbid that side would be playlable and it would be possible to kill Coalition/NATO forces... :p

ArmA 2 and it's expansion might have been taking place in relatively believable settings, but even here we had different names of the islands/maps and such. And have we already forgotten what problems BI had because taking pics of a real-life (Lemnos) location for ArmA 3? It ended in two imprisoned members which were released after quite some time and for a sum of money.

The real-life locations and events are left to modders who wish to do them, for obvious reasons.

Looks like TC is not very 'up-to-date' when it comes to these matters, else he would know the IS mod for ArmA 3 was removed by the maker himself. If a relatively anonymous modder on a forum feels he might have problems because he released such a mod, imagine the shit-storm BI would get from the media if they included IS in their official expansion pack or next title. God forbid that side would be playlable and it would be possible to kill Coalition/NATO forces... :p

ArmA 2 and it's expansion might have been taking place in relatively believable settings, but even here we had different names of the islands/maps and such. And have we already forgotten what problems BI had because taking pics of a real-life (Lemnos) location for ArmA 3? It ended in two imprisoned members which were released after quite some time and for a sum of money.

The real-life locations and events are left to modders who wish to do them, for obvious reasons.

100% this. Representing real-life countries/factions/groups/organisations will inevitably end up in someone, somewhere, getting pissed off at it. Even Operation Arrowhead cut it a little too close for some people with its "generic middle-eastern setting". ITV made a meal out of ArmA 2's main campaign forces using the Chedaki to illustrate IRA forces (google it). So even semi-realistic yet fictional representations of existing entities can cause issue with small-minded people blowing things out of proprtion. I think keeping things a little far-fetched is the safest bet, at least from BI's perspective. As noob1 said above, look what happened to the IS Mod thread (well, you can't, because its been deleted)...