Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Arma Reflecting Today's Modern Day Warfare Tomorrow

That would have made for an awesome game.

Why did they back off from that.

Like it was mentioned earlier in thread, using real life countries/militaries/conflicts in games that depict war at such a detail and close range, there's always a possibility of someone getting pissed off. The local authorities on Limnos had been displeased by Bohemia's decision to use the island, and eventually things lead to some unfortunate events (Greek military/intelligence being silly and paranoid to begin with).

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/8/3959776/arma-3-bohemia-interactive-prison-ivan-buchta

Neither the G3 or the MKEK are modelled after the AK. And the AS is a cult, not an insurgency.

Aum original plan was a general armed revolution to overthrown Japanese government followed after subway gas attack.

Only that the gas attack didn't cause the scale of casualty and panic as their expectation.

My original quote was "...and criminals" to address a wider range of illegal groups in Asia.

I also never say G3 was modeled after AK, I simply pointed out even G3 was widely used by military in that region today. The game did not include it in the final product.

But none of the AAF's ground assets are relatively "new"...

By 2035 the Mora (Warrior) would be a 47 year old IFV design. The Strider (Fennek) would be 34 years and the Gorgon (Pandur II) would be a 31 year old APC. Zamaks (Kamaz-6560) would be 30 year old trucks while the Kuma (Leopard 2) would be a 25 year old tank. In fact, the only things that the AAF have that are "new" would be the drones but even they aren't exactly vehicles you would call "new" in 2035 either (the Crusher/MQ-9/Parrot are all from the first decade of this century).

I accidentally skipped your post last week, so pardon me for the late reply. But 20 to 30-year-old designs ARE relatively new, not to mention that the delivery of purchased vehicles often take years, even a decade or longer if the quantities are large. For example, Poland made contracts to produce the Rosomak, a variant of Patria's AMV, in the early 2000s. The numbers have been raised so high the Polish military expects to receive the last of them by 2019. Military assets are not produced, sold and transferred in a heartbeat. To crosspost from another similar thread:

In this regard, the game's approach to future is completely upside-down in my opinion. As advanced optics become more prominent in the future, it doesn't mean you have to replace all materiel since you can just upgrade the old ones' optics as a budget-friendly solution. Rifles for example have seen little development during the past decades. Even now, my country is refurbishing and upgrading the APCs and IFVs it acquired in the 80's, to run up till the 2030s. Our standard issue assault rifle is a 60's design with no solid plans made public to replace it even as the current ones are starting to wear off.

We also have upgraded T-55s stashed as war reserves. My point merely is that AAF's arsenal is new enough to display no hints whatsover that one would expect from small/poor countries, especially ones ravaged by war.