Sign in to follow this  
lordprimate

PWS is Frustrating

Just to clairify for those that might get it twisted. this is refering to the PlayWithSix.exe .. Not the people who tirelessly work on a free app for the community.. just the frustrations with using it. Go team, Go.. Don't stop Never Stop!!!

[rant/]a pointless rant that means nothing... title says it all .. just wasted all my game time dealin with PwS crashes and bullshit

Every day, Every Other time PwS is launched it crashes with an error.. " cannot sync to database" or "fatal error pws shutting down"

just reformatted lost all my mods.. and im trying to install mods while not sitting at my pc all fucking day Six updater use to do this fine.. what the fuck happened..[/end rant]

looking back. yea i was frustrated... pws had these problems before. and i had to do a complete removal and reinstall of arma and pws.. i didnt want to have to do that again.

Edited by Lordprimate
fog of war

Its buggy but it has its use for simple mod updating. But I do hear you. I hate it that it hangs and doesn't start sometime and would need a reboot to get it to work. Its like there is a memory leak in either Java or the program itself.

And a big pet peeve is that it backups the entire mod instead of just updating only the files that need updating creating huge HD space usage.

Concept is great. Just needs to refine it better.

You know, you could manually do the backup and everything else yourself and not depend on a 3rd party program with no guarantee to work. Who are doing their best getting it work btw.

At least don't complain about it on a place that doesn't even relate to them, they obviously have their own website with it's complaint department.

@ Lordprimate

Did you report your issues in the support section of PWS?

PW6 is awesome ... when it works, most of the time it does but usually when it bugs, it bugs all night.

Also it eats RAM like a fatty in a cake shop, remember to close it once you're in a game.

Apart from that it's a great tool, I'll still use it and you just have to adjust to the snags :)

no you guys are right fuck me... PwS is great, its just buggy. and frustrating.

.kju . no not on the website only threw their reporting gui that pops up when it crashes.. i send it every time. dont get me wrong but i dont know what happens when it crashes.. I could only post up that.. hey i launched PwS and it crashed.. i send the error log that popped up.. outside of that.

sorry guys I was just ranting. i do believe i said that in the beginning... i was just frustrated with PwS.. wanted to share it with the community. ehh .. Wak .. i hinted at the fact that i use PwS to avoid sitting at my pc downloading one mod at a time.. and Backing up mods?? who does that.. unless their a mod maker. i have the mods im working on backed up.. but i dont need back ups of mods.. if i need them i just download them ... hence the use of sixupdater and PwS... Again sorry if i offended anyone on the Six team. i know you guys mad this for us all to use from the kind ness of your heart.. I was just frustrated.

only threw their reporting gui that pops up when it crashes.. i send it every time

This is a design/approach problem on our side/PWS side, as it creates a certain expectation.

Unfortunately most of the time these reports are not very useful - like without more info for the context of the crash (when did it happen)

or what other tools were running/installed, the dump files are often not telling much.

Plus we get tons of these reports each day. This certainly as the application is not robust enough, but at the same time it does have

a fairly large userbase. It is very challenging to provide quick and good support to all these people, and at the same time address

the problems and improve the applications, website and provide all the mods in a timely manner.

So coming back to your actual problems. Please make a report at support section or the PWS thread in this forum,

and provide as much information as possible.

I sympathise with you, Lordprimate.

I consider myself an expert pc user but even I sometimes have difficulty adapting to some of the UIs and still experience crashes on and off.

But I do appreciate the challenges involved in developing such an application with so many different aspects of functionality involved.

Every time I have posted for support on getsatisfaction I have received prompt replies, helpful beyond my initial expectations.

And while other members of my unit are scrambling to update their mods manually last minute, or struggling to start their game for ops with complex mod lists and dependencies which ends in them getting kicked from the server, I can just sit back and enjoy the efficiency and lack of stress that PWS affords me. For free.

Hang in there, mate.

I sympathise with you, Lordprimate.

I don't. You start a thread off with F$&k the content creator and expect help? They are too kind because I wouldn't have even responded to your waste of time thread.

I like your assumptions though. really showing your literacy...my grammar will never be perfect and my spelling is atrocious, However, title says fuck PlayWithSix.. not the team or the developers.. the app... so again nice assumption but your only making an ass out of yourself.. not me.. at least this time.. :P

I don't. You start a thread off with F$&k the content creator and expect help? They are too kind because I wouldn't have even responded to your waste of time thread.

Then sir... by golly why the "expletive deleted" are you here??? why even post?... the answer ... just to be a 8=>...

Point made, I pissed you off a while back and your still butt hurt about it.. nice job buddy.. time to move on..

Edited by Lordprimate

You couldn't piss me off if you tried. I'm not mad, just mearly showing my opinion. But if you want to talk about pointless threads then look no further then the one you have created here. At no point had your initial comment asked a question you just posted a rant. Kinda pointless huh :cool:

play withSix used to be very frustrating, but it has actually been working quite well for me lately. I don't remember any crashes recently. And, the UI is a lot more manageable now than it was a year or two ago, imo (but still room for improvement). Downloads are slow, but other than that, I'm glad it is available, and has all of the mods that I have been using on it.

It serves its purpose. easy mod installs, and multiple "collections" or mod sets.

PWS is frustrating, but not more than any other program on a computer. The first week your pulse rises even when you think about it, but after a while you get to know it and learn to work with it.

It's like opening L3DT / Terrain Builder (Map Makers will know ^^) or Photoshop for the first time... First thought -> WTF is this shit?

But then you will love the efforts it gives to you and your community...

;2825316']This is a design/approach problem on our side/PWS side' date=' as it creates a certain expectation.

Unfortunately most of the time these reports are not very useful - like without more info for the context of the crash (when did it happen)

or what other tools were running/installed, the dump files are often not telling much.

Plus we get tons of these reports each day. This certainly as the application is not robust enough, but at the same time it does have

a fairly large userbase. It is very challenging to provide quick and good support to all these people, and at the same time address

the problems and improve the applications, website and provide all the mods in a timely manner.

So coming back to your actual problems. Please make a report at support section or the PWS thread in this forum,

and provide as much information as possible.[/quote']

It memory leaks out the ass, probably due to the flash ads. If you leave it running in the background it WILL eventually leak so much memory that it will crash

Closing - before the issue gets out of hand - please report issues with PWS in the correct thread.