bad benson

Enhanced Movement

@foxhound and others: please don't upload yet. working out some issues.

Looks great, something that sould have been in the game in the first place.

• Like 1

experimental laser line :inlove:

i hope to find some motivation to research some ways to place it better. but i need some rest now. raptors were taking all of my free time the last few weeks or maybe months. can't remember. good thing is that me and Baco can make fully functional sharks in no time now since all the groudn work has been done already. that includes him making an amazing model with equally amazing animations.

• Like 2

bad benson,
Would it be possible to increase EM_weightlimits to values >1, e.g. for player weights of 200%, 300%, etc.?

Wanted to do this for compatibility with a gear addon I'm working on (nowhere near release).

Details:

Hope you wouldn't be offended by it, but I tried altering the mod myself to test this but I'm having issues getting the pbo working.

I changed the EM_weightlimits array in babe_em pbo (func\core\fn_init.sqf). However, something is causing the game to not recognize any of the funcs after repacking the pbo.

After repacking the pbo and placing it in the addon directory I get several script not found errors on game startup.

From my game rpt:

Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\core\fn_init.sqf\fn_init.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\EH\fn_handledamage.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\EH\fn_handledamage_nofd.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\EH\fn_animdone.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_em.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_exec_em.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_finish_em.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_exec_drop.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_finish_drop.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_jump.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\mov\fn_detect.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\ui\fn_hudrefresh.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\fd\fn_init_fd.sqf not found
Warning Message: Script \babe\babe_em\func\fd\fn_fd.sqf not found

I think there may be something wrong with the pboprefix file or maybe the config.cpp for the func folder... The thing is, though, I haven't changed any of those files... In fact I tried simply unpacking the pbo, and then repacking it without changing anything, and I get the same script not found errors. I'm baffled.

Obviously, even if I could get this to work, I wouldn't publish any of the altered code as I respect that this is your mod. Just an interesting problem I ran into, wondered if you could help out.

Found a bug with the new SP visible laser line- it originates from the waist?

ZkCkJiq.jpg

And it seems intensely bright (to the point that it completely washed out the Viper thermal googles) compared to the previous visible dot version, is that intended?

@jarred: that is weird. i didn't really test it with all weapons. looked ok-ish on the MX. i'll look into it. remember though that it's just a test feature. there is no way that i know of so far that allows me to procedurally place it in the correct place (origin of IR laser). i'm just using the generic weapon position atm but seems there's an issue.

@CNutter: the reason that variable is global is for you to change it without having to unpack the mod.

theoretically all you need is do this:

EM_weightlimits = [1, 1, 1, 1];

with whatever values you need. do that at mission start or in the init script of your own addon.

you could also make sure that the variable is initialised to avoid yours being overwritten like this:

0 = [] spawn
{
   waituntil {!isNil "EM_weightlimits"};
   EM_weightlimits = [1, 1, 1, 1];
};

this will be handled with a module in the future which will be kind of the last feature i will add. i'm busy with all kinds of monsters atm though. so for the time being just do the above. also please don't discuss modification of the addon in this thread. i don't have a problem with you doing experiments for your own use per say but discussing it openly here might give people the idea that it's open source or whatever.

see if that stuff i gave you (which is mostly in the first post btw) will do the trick. if not i can see if i can modify things in a later update.

• Like 1

Hi @bad benson, owner of iBB Exile Dariyah here - we spoke previously. Enhanced Movement is working perfectly on our server and our players are absolutely loving it. I noticed something today which I wanted to ask you about. This screenshot is taken from the very far SW corner of our map, and although my admin info option gives me nothing, if I try to delete it, it's name appears to be related to Enhanced Movement. Haven't tried to delete it, and for all I know it's supposed to be there, I just wanted to know if this is normal or not. Thanks for your help.

I cant load savegame with your mod, even if its enabled. Error say it lack of Bae_fd_anims.pbo, even if it is with mod. I have disabled all(laser and interaction) except enhanced movement.

Hi @bad benson, owner of iBB Exile Dariyah here - we spoke previously. Enhanced Movement is working perfectly on our server and our players are absolutely loving it. I noticed something today which I wanted to ask you about. This screenshot is taken from the very far SW corner of our map, and although my admin info option gives me nothing, if I try to delete it, it's name appears to be related to Enhanced Movement. Haven't tried to delete it, and for all I know it's supposed to be there, I just wanted to know if this is normal or not. Thanks for your help.

no worries. it's just for debug mode. might have to remove it. i'm not sure if battleeye has a problem with that.

I cant load savegame with your mod, even if its enabled. Error say it lack of Bae_fd_anims.pbo, even if it is with mod. I have disabled all(laser and interaction) except enhanced movement.

that pbo has been obsolete for ages. i'm afraid you'll either have to start over or tinker with the savegame. another idea would be creating a fake version of that pbo. if nothing works and your savegame is very important to you i can helper you out with the last suggestion (send PM).

i'm wondering though. did it ask for that pbo or for CfgPatches? i recently removed the landign animations because their config got worse and worse with updates. they would transition really badly. maybe make a screenshot of the error. i can add an empty CfgPatches entry in the next version. i had to do that for the raptor modules too sicne i had to rename it and didn't want to break people's missions.

• Like 1

no worries. it's just for debug mode. might have to remove it. i'm not sure if battleeye has a problem with that.

that pbo has been obsolete for ages. i'm afraid you'll either have to start over or tinker with the savegame. another idea would be creating a fake version of that pbo. if nothing works and your savegame is very important to you i can helper you out with the last suggestion (send PM).

i'm wondering though. did it ask for that pbo or for CfgPatches? i recently removed the landign animations because their config got worse and worse with updates. they would transition really badly. maybe make a screenshot of the error. i can add an empty CfgPatches entry in the next version. i had to do that for the raptor modules too sicne i had to rename it and didn't want to break people's missions.

tomorrow. Today i have no access to Arma 3.

Could someone please please upload a mirror? I can't download from armaholic :|.

BB offers a Google Drive link here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174788-arma-enhanced-movement/page-42#entry3105378

This mod is so essential. I use it all the time, as a full replacement of the standard "step over" command. In some rare cases I am stuck in a standing animation, but hey.

• Like 2

Some thing about Hesco barriers from time to time... and the problem can switch from use to user. I went over a Hesco 5 time proving to a friend that it wasn't bugged out... then he could climb over it but I couldn't.... and then things worked just fine for both of us.

Aside from that periodic frustration, it has been a staple of my ArmA experience since it was originally released. BI ought just add it natively. It's not a balance issue vs AI, they don't care. If you play PvP, then everybody has it and it's still not a balance issue and rather adds to the overall immersion of the game.

• Like 3

Hi I was hoping anyone can help me. after further testing. Is there a way to disable stamina from the server side? I was looking thru the PBO's but I have not found it yet.

Could you maybe open-source your Mod on Github or show me a way on how to contribute?

I found out your onEachFrame eventhandler is a major performance hog taking about 4ms per Frame (thats about the difference between 50 to 60 fps).

Calling:

["BABE_MAINLOOP","oneachframe"] call BIS_fnc_removeStackedEventHandler;

instantly increases my FPS from 57 to 68.

I'd like to improve your performance but i didn't find a way on how to contribute.

I can contact you on Steam if wanted.

• Like 8

i appreciate the notion but i'm not really interested in that (Github and open source) to be honest. this is just a personal hobby for me. like the rusty old car in my garage that i come back to from time to time. i'd like to keep it that way. for me it's mainly about additional administration or being forced by any outside force to touch things that i want to avoid. believe me, i know it's not perfect at all. but i'd like to keep my own pace and control of what happens. sorry.

however.

if you find stuff you can send me a PM with detailed description of what to change where and i might implement it with credits. i've done that before and i like it more that way.

i actually just recently started really debugging code speeds. i knew certain stuff could be slow but i'm just a self taught idiot with some bad habits that realises stuff written last week can be improved from what has been learned throughout that week :dummy:

so yea. i'm sorry but that's how it's gonna be :xmas:

i made a post on steam about the next update. so anyone interested go there. not worth it pasting it here. for example the laser and nvg will be seperated into a general gameplay/immersion (or whatever you wanna call it) addon. too many comments on steam asking how to disable it. i made it really easy but it's too annoying to read the same stuff over and over let alone explaining it.

at some hypothetical point in the future when i leave arma for good i might make this open source but so far i always come back to it. so don't hold your breath please.

but thx for letting me know about this though. i'm restructuring some of the core things currently (slowly but surely) so it's perfect timing to bring it up. wasn't aware to be honest.

• Like 1

ok guys. i've been taking my time due to real life stuff and lack of motivation but here is a first test release of the update. please don't mirror this yet. i want to get some feedback from some testers (you guys) to be sure that everything works as intended before letting this loose on the kiddies on steam.

___________________________________________________________________________________

DOWNLOAD

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y0VNgK9JXiRV9raTV2X2I4SEE/view?usp=sharing

___________________________________________________________________________________

big thx to dedmen for not only letting me know about optimisation tips but actually finding the places to apply them inside the files for me. that made it really easy for me to find the motivation to update some reeeaaaallly old parts of the code and learn some new stuff. you're the man!

the main thing in this update is performance optimisation. but it also gave me the chance to add/change/remove some things i've been wanting for a while now. but with lack of motivation and on the other hand quite a lot of subscribers on steam i'm really careful these days with making changes.

- optimised EH system (thx to dedmen for tips, file AND line pointers of where to apply them)

- removed laser and NVG (these things may or may not come back as seperate addons)

- revamped mod menu (visually mostly the same but optimised and cleaned up under the hood to allow more detailed settings)

- new key binding system to make things more future proof and allow things like using mouse keys or any other features vanilla key binding allows

- fixed: can't get in or out of locked vehicles anymore using my vehicle menu

- added: option to switch between fast and detailed vehicle get in (fast get in made a come back...aka battlefield-like priority based one key system)

here's a short and simple video that shows how you set a key. it's one step more but better overall.

it would be great if some of you guys could check, if everything works like before so i can get this finally off my chest. would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 7

I'l give it try today or tomorrow-thanks mate :) But...nvg effects are gone? :( Can i ask why? i thought they were great. i even used them just to take some pictures, for that blurrier realistic effect.

wm7Scpt.jpg

• Like 1

well as much as your post warms my heart, these days i try to go with what reduces annoying requests. people don't realise that i read most comments on the workshop page. not because i care so much about people's opinions but for the simple reason that someone might have a problem that i can help fix easily. so reading the same shit over and over gets real old real fast. long story short. the effect wasn't a crowd favourite. it was a bit overdone to be fair, although i can't remember how blurry the latest iteration was since i barely actually play.

however. there is also another reason. and that is the focus on optimisation for this update. the EH system i have is really powerful but i kind of used it in a lazy way for some things. so i want to make sure that everything is optimised before i readd it now that the system itself is also super cheap thx to dedmen's help. the architecture of it didn't change at all. i just got educated on stuff like using count loops whenever possible and not doing compiles super frequently. mostly sloppy stuff like that.

both the reasons combined lead me to doing it in a seperate addon. not sure yet if laser and NVG will both be the same addon but it's likely so to not clutter things too much. that way i will also create a home for other cool things always on the back burner like turning all/most vanilla scopes into pip versions using my concept i released a while back or something better.

i also want to add a super simple silent take down from behind but i'm thinking that fits more into the climbing part. not sure tbh.

• Like 6