fabio_chavez

Bohemia Interactive please comment on whats hindering you to introduce Ponds to Arma3

Now we need maps with actual rivers and inland water. On dude, you know how good a Canal system would look now?

Nice! Very realistic! It reminds me of my homeland of Texas after a bad rainstorm. Pastures full of shallow, grassy pools.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

so you're saying that these features are not getting put in because it might damage sales for a separate product sold by a different company to a different market?

interesting theory

I'd call it more of a FACT. Seen that happening for the last 10 years.

does this mean we can use dbo ponds to run arma2/co maps that would inevitably not work in arma 3?

or would this still require editing?

Nice! Very realistic! It reminds me of my homeland of Texas after a bad rainstorm. Pastures full of shallow, grassy pools.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

I'd call it more of a FACT. Seen that happening for the last 10 years.

In order to call it a fact you need a proof. "might damage sales" is hardly a proof.

The bigger issue issue is time contraints and workforce which governs their development plan decisions.

The bigger issue issue is time contraints and workforce which governs their development plan decisions.

Is that a fact for you?

I feel as if there are some engines designed for Arcade, and Cry Engine is one of them. I couldn't see something like Arma and it's massive terrains and ballistics properly moved to the Cry Engine. It wouldn't feel the same, just to get features like ponds. It needs to be built in this Engine.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Hmmm, what terrain is that? I'll look around.

http://www.rt-immersive.com/ CryEngine has the possibility of infinite worlds like Unreal Engine only available for the studies to be licensed $$€€.

Is that a fact for you?

Is opinion based on their size (around 50devs) which is small in comparison to big AAA titles which have easy above 100

employee developing game.In comparison with bigger AAA games however Arma is lot more in depth with their systems

simulating a lot of things.Ballistics, AIs, big map size, fidelity, AFM...So to sum it up arma 3 is bigger game then any

AAA title on the market yet it has relatively small sized developer team.

http://www.rt-immersive.com/ CryEngine has the possibility of infinite worlds like Unreal Engine only available for the studies to be licensed $$€€.

Does it now? Star Citizen is struggling with this and CIG are modding the shit out of the engine to get the playable area big enough.

Also this isn't very assuring regarding infinite, or even that big areas, sure, it's an old post but still.

Star Citizen is struggling with this and CIG are modding the shit out of the engine to get the playable area big enough.

Hi,

Have you got any links to read up on this? - not trying to call you out, just interested. Was reading about their draw call problems a while ago and wondered if there was any more trouble in paradise ;)

Hi,

Have you got any links to read up on this? - not trying to call you out, just interested. Was reading about their draw call problems a while ago and wondered if there was any more trouble in paradise ;)

TBH I haven't followed the project very closely as of late, but I think it was in one of the Transmissions some time ago, there's a shitton of devblogs so I can't remember exactly where I read it, might've been about floating point precision :confused_o:

Last I saw, People like CWright were have a nightmarish time trying to get big areas in CryEngine. He had to take a bunch of maps and "sew" them together somehow. Engines like Outerra, which were made for HUGE maps, seem to be the REAL future.

Imagine trying to cross a river with a strong current in an amphibious vehicle with realistic physics. That would really be something :)

Too bad then DnA confirmed that the team isn't attempting flowing rivers for the Expansion, as mentioned several pages ago (quoting an interview). Then again, I say that the "flowing" brings less than "rivers at all" does, so... ;)

Yep. It was DnA's comment that inspired me to write. It's allowed to dream a little, right? :)

Regarding the Expansion, I wonder how many locations are left, if you count the ones that don't need water. Another Takistan maybe? I think I would enjoy a bigger and updated middle east map.

Regarding the Expansion, I wonder how many locations are left, if you count the ones that don't need water.

Well, just make sure it's frozen...

...lakes, rivers, whatever your heart desires!

:n:

Actually I wouldn't mind a lovely snow/winter expansion.

Not at all. :cool:

Actually I wouldn't mind a lovely snow/winter expansion.

You know, that's actually a very good candidate for what the expansion terrain might end up being... It fits all the conditions one may imagine BIS has taken into account. Namely, it's never been in the series, it doesn't have inland water (liquid water ;-), it's doable without engine modification, and low visibility conditions could make the FPS skyrocket.

it's doable without engine modification

Yeah, but we've all seen

so that point is kind of moot...

:x:

It is nice to see someone on the forums here read my interview with Van 't Land.

Yep. It was DnA's comment that inspired me to write. It's allowed to dream a little, right? :)
Hahaha, yes... you can dream, but the thrust of what I meant about flowing rivers vs. rivers 'at all' was simply that the gameplay gap between flowing rivers and non-flowing "static" rivers is far less than that between the latter are no rivers at all, so even if BI had to only use dbo/M1lkm8n's methods 1:1 to get rivers in I believe that the majority of this thread's followers might well be satisfied...

As for the terrain discussion: Note that snow's been speculated more than once, but not too long ago it was discovered that the Bohemia-affiliated studio Black Element Software (specializing in 3D models for Arma 3/DayZ) had produced renders of thatched-roofed piers, which would look really out of place in Chernarus (which BI has previously stated intent to not​ revisit in the Expansion), which lent weight to the idea of a Southeast Asia-derived terrain...

Hi,

No links I am afraid but quite a bit of stuff has been said by CiG, its all down to being limited to 32bits for floating point ops causing positional accuracy errors to creep in with a not very larger area (2km dia if I recall correctly) no idea if this is exacerbated by using a sphere rather than a much more limited height range it is possible on a '2d' map that 32bits is enough for many sqkm.

Their response is to update the whole engine to 64bit precision maths Helped by now having some of the core cryengine developers working for them.

As for the terrain discussion: Note that snow's been speculated more than once, but not too long ago it was discovered that the Bohemia-affiliated studio Black Element Software (specializing in 3D models for Arma 3/DayZ) had produced renders of thatched-roofed piers, which would look really out of place in Chernarus (which BI has previously stated intent to not​ revisit in the Expansion), which lent weight to the idea of a Southeast Asia-derived terrain...

You mean something like this?

http://usc-canada.org/UserFiles/Image/2012/09/Timor-lush.jpg

http://www.worldbank.org/content/dam/Worldbank/Feature%20Story/EAP/Timor-leste/TL-cultural-heritage.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/original

http://onestep4ward.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/trekking-in-east-timor.jpg

http://kleberly.com/data_images/wallpapers/5/270319-east-timor.jpg

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/031/cache/timor-leste_3198_600x450.jpg

http://sustainablejill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ATA-East-Timor-PVs-VLS-grass-house-large.jpg

You mean something like this?

Yes, someone posted a link to a 3d design studio website who made some models for BI and they had something similar in their gallery.

Who knows, we had earthquake machines in the A3 campaign, maybe this time it's weather machines, so we finally get the snow. :D

BI said the new terrain would've been something completely new so it's either some place like eastern Russia/Alaska or South East Asia imho.

We already had East Europe (Chernarus), Middle-East (Takistan), Mediterranean/Tropical and Central Europe (Sahrani), plus in the campaign the characters mention a few times the "Pacific".

so back on topic - are ponds close to being resolved?

we need that stuff in these maps!

@ Lightspeed_aust: The tangent was over discussion of ponds in official terrains; as previously mentioned there's at least two implementations (one by deanosbeano, one by M1lkm8n) for community terrains.