Sign in to follow this  
tansvanio

Post your countries traditional music

I am starting this thread becouse I thought it would be a cool idea.

Basicly the goal here is to just leave a simple post with a link to a song/theme of tradional music from your own country. Something national you would like to share with people from different countries.

I will start by posting here some Portuguese fado from Coimbra:

Fado is a traditional type of music from Portugal with two main variaties, fado from Lisbon and fado from Coimbra. The first is sung by male and female singers while the second is sung only by male singers, typically university students. Both however are played with the portuguese guitar, unique to the gender.

Check it out and leave your post ;)

Edited by tansvanio

Was arguing with myself whether or not to post something bavarian, ended up more confused than before.

Either we don´t have any real german-wide folklore, or i don´t know any, or we´ve actually got so much of it my brain goes tilt.

Here´s two shy examples which are in no way influenced by modern pop music :)

f_6AQA4uzD0

yzXv7I-Zav8

Found this of traditional finnish folk music (featuring kantele, flutes and harmonica):

Quite new music for me too, instantly got Witcher vibes. :) Even harder now to wait the 3th part.

Edited by SaOk

Hessen-Kassel dragoon's march of regiment "Landgraf Friedrich".

omg, folk music, it is horrible, i cannot listen to it, whenever i am in mountains, and they play traditional music (the same i am doing with delicate music with saxophone), i am leaving but , there you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJXbae9GD8

i prefer Slayer over it, but there you go, traditional Polish music (violin is very often in it)

afair Jewish or Cuban folk is okay,

Cuban is Buena Vista Social Club

Edited by vilas

Traditional to my home of Royal Tunbridge Wells in Kent

I lived in so many places that I don't know which is "mine".

So let me add a couple songs that I love and are traditional in some of the places I've lived:

Vandraren from Nordman ( Swedish )

Boig per tu from Sau ( Catalan )

omg, folk music, it is horrible, i cannot listen to it

Nothing great here to me too, a bit strange - not liking own folk (well, those highlanger music pieces have some charm), but that's the truth. Or that's our folk. Irish folk is best for me. But, as for own music, do not forget about folk of Eastern Borderlands. Hard to find anything on youtube, especially not modernized (it is much more poignant when sung by old people from those regions), I think, this music is about to die and may be forgotten soon - last people knowing it from own childhood are old. A big shame to lost it even if not preffered music.

Here are samples to listen, very nostalgic, only short though, but give some view:

http://sklep.polskieradio.pl/Products/9516-muzyka-zrodel-vol-14-kresy-i-wilenszczyzna-grodzienszczyzna.aspx

Quite unique - those people, remembering that songs, will not live long or died already :( , CD worth of buying for that reason solely - these are songs of world not existing anymore, doubtfull, if anyone will carry on this piece of culture in that form if in any.

Some are trying though to translate such jewels for modern people:

http://youtu.be/nfgAbZJr7SU

Same people live (Umeå 2005):

Song from Mazovia region in their arragement:

Important part of old Poland culture was also society of Jews living through many centuries on these lands, rooted deep until Nazis came. Testimonies of their influences may be found in the Polish folk:

But not only Warsaw Village Band is out there. Here is some music by Village Kollektiv:

http://youtu.be/Vbgxil5EiU4

But they aren't focused solely on Polish folk:

(apparently Bulgarian?)

Rzepczyno:

If we want to look a bit farther, we may spot Żywiołak (Elemental):

Something more like for Vilas :) :

(I do not know those well, it's kind of metal pagan folk, I suppose)

One of the most characteristic part of Polish folk is mentioned music of the Tatra (Carpathian) mountains' highlanders.

Some modern arrangements:

:)

Lublin region:

And some we're sharing with Ukraine (obviously):

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 ----------

Quite new music for me too,

I found one and loved, quite moving:

Edited by Rydygier

What a wonderful thread, thanks for this. I, personally, love Finnish folk, but as I listened to some Swedish music above, I found out it suits my taste as well.

Let me share something Czech with you. These are not traditional per se, but they are so deeply influenced by our traditional music that they certainly have their place here. For the first one, I love the drive of the song, and the lyrics kinda rule.

And the second one, for sake of having something calmer here, too. When I listen to this piece, I am always carried away by its melodies…

I want to share with you two interpretations of the great Mercedes Sosa, perhaps the best known representative of the New Song: a movement and genre within Latin American and Iberian music of folk music, folk-inspired music and socially committed music, Wikipedia.

From my South.

Gracias a la vida of Violeta Parra from Chile.

Sólo le pido a Dios of León Gieco from Argentina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOQHRqoE3U

the great Mercedes Sosa

I listened once fragments of "Misa Criolla" performed by Mercedes Sosa. Phenomenal voice.

i tought that topic is about traditional , not neo-folk or folk-inspired, but rather about historical music from "before rock and roll" and before electronic stuff

I will start by posting here some Portuguese fado from Coimbra:

I really appreciated this set of strings.

Nice topic, and cool if people posted how real traditional music sounds like first and other non-traditional (but national) later. I'd like to hear for folk music sounds in Czech or regions in Germany for example.

Speaking of Poland, I think fiddles and all sorts of pipes are pretty strong when it comes to folk music. This instrument was always present in many traditional performances and became a symbol of Polish cultural heritage. Jewish people also played a big role, talented people who played instruments and their bands were traveling across the country playing for both poor and rich people (since centuries as historical sources say).

here in this clip I find good essence of Polish folk rhythms and feeling. These people also wear traditional clothing.

and this is how they do in mountain regions of Podhale & Tatra. They often play on bag pipes there.

___

If author of this topic asks for samples of traditional music so here there are ^^

I'm also very proud of my country's classical music and jazz. Classical was "in da house" always :) while jazz has very long traditions and is in special in own way, homegrown jazz http://www.allaboutjazz.com/polish-jazz-for-dummies-60-years-of-jazz-from-poland-by-cezary-lerski.php#.UJhPoWesHaI (read if interested)

Frederic Chopin. Example - Nocturnes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60USaluxGA

Karol Szymanowski. Example - Song of the Night symphony. Second great name next to Chopin, but I prefer his music over Chopin. He took inspirations from folk legends and Tatra Mountains. Very imaginative music.

Jerzy Millian (vibraphone). Polish school of jazz (1969). Strong folk themes in this record.

Krzysztof Smietana & Wojciech Karolak. Jazz guitar 1996. Who needs Pat Metheny when Smietana is around :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDeN0mht7D8

Huge review on jazz in 1966 in Poland. Documentary from 60's. Lots of big names and music.

An extra for the end. Where jazz, so there is Blues ;) Tadeusz Nalepa, father of Polish blues.

Edited by Sudayev

Let's see...

The Battle Hymn of the Republic is one that goes back to the 1860's...

Another song from around the same time period...

Here's a really old and fairly unknown song, unknown origins, unknown author, about the boston tea party.

(Ignore the fact that it's apparently a shirtless teenager singing it. With this type of music, only weird people sing it. ;) )

The Yankee Man-of-War

tis 3am, too tired to dig for more. :P