Sign in to follow this  
digitalgeo

Arma 3 IS NOT "Military Simulator" genre

Counterstrike is a simulator. It simulates the real world process of fighting between anti-terror forces and terrorists. The simulation may run on a very simplified model, it is nevertheless a simulation. Siulation does not mean real, nor does it mean as close as real as possible. Running a simulation as close to the real world thing as possible maybe wanted to get more relevant data out of your simulation, but it is not needed to actually be a simulation. Just have a look at the technological industry, simulations are never the real thing, but always just a simplified model of the real thing, making it easier to work with (CPU time, etc.). If you want the real thing, do the real thing.

While this is technically true, there is also a genre of video games called "simulation" and I don't think Arma necessarily fits in with games like MSFS, DCS or Train Simulator.

On the other hand, you could easily argue that BIS basically invented a genre with OFP and Arma and they can call that genre whatever they want.

Hey all!

This thread is for people who falsely claim Arma being the "Military Simulator" genre.

I find an increasing number of people using the term "simulator" to describe the Arma 3 in forums, video comments and even in the feedback tracker.

I want to make it clear,

BIS has never classified Arma 3 as "Military Simulator" genre.

The MEDIA says its "Simulator".

It's not.

The media can be misleading.

Correct me if I'm wrong ^^

- Renz

I hope this clears things up.

It may say all that on paper or wiki or whatever but in the previous versions of Arma and OFP the game is in fact more of a simulation. The level of detail is to high to be considered anything else.

You say VBS is a simulator, yes it is but in Arma you can do the same stuff as in VBS. We have in Arma a lot of aspects of real life military combat are modelled. IMO it is an insult to Bis to say that Arma is anything else but a simulation because of the level of detail that they have gone through to make the sim what it is.

If it feels like a Game, then it probably isn't a Simulator.

The ArmA 3 platform IMO can be shaped both for gameplay and for simulation.

Out of box, I'd say its packaged as a game, not a simulator, determined by what is available from the main menu.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

It depends on how you play it, in which will determine your perspective. You play it like a game, in which it will feel like, look like, and be one. You play it as if you were fighting in real life, keeping yourself rested, out of harms way, smartly, and it's simulation factors really start to shine.

I don't know why, but i'm sure that this thread is made for very strange communicative goal. It's obvious but it's impossible to place such game like ArmA in two words.

And yes, it will be a simulator before someone shows me the game that present combined arms in more detailed, more flexible, and more immersive manner. Simulations in games means special balance between fun and real. And Arma does job this way.

It may say all that on paper or wiki or whatever but in the previous versions of Arma and OFP the game is in fact more of a simulation. The level of detail is to high to be considered anything else.

You say VBS is a simulator, yes it is but in Arma you can do the same stuff as in VBS. We have in Arma a lot of aspects of real life military combat are modelled. IMO it is an insult to Bis to say that Arma is anything else but a simulation because of the level of detail that they have gone through to make the sim what it is.

I actually got slightly chastised by a BI developer that it is not a military simulator, yet I've used real world tactics with ease with Arma 3 the same way if I shelled out the money for VBS series again (so far A3 is good enough). I run a player centric JTAC course and able to use real world techniques with ease. Granted I'm not training real world military personnel (which VBS does...) you can still use it in that fashion. Also one of my clan members developed a rather awesome Land Nav course that rivals some things I've seen on other games, but that's just par for the course.

Are those guys famous or something? that was fkn painful and the sort of crap you hear on lots of servers.

Are those guys famous or something? that was fkn painful and the sort of crap you hear on lots of servers.

Only managed to watch 2 mins of that lol

Idk about you for me Arma 3 will be imersive always mybe it is not like arma 2 (witch i am missing a lot) and never ever will be yust because developers deciced to make game for the Life servers,dayz players and totaly forgot bunch of clans and units that play this game in way it should be played,As for those videos,all those are Public servers so a lot of ass***** are there and screwing around with evrybodys game and troll.

I will always stick with mods witch will get back this game to current age not to 2035,and stick with mil-sim units witch are playing this game the wright way and like 1st person 3rd person threads i would say that there is no point of discusing this kind of topics because it is all user preference,if you dont like it dont play it,if u like something do that no point of posting a thread not mil-sim in bis forums when u know that 99.8% guys on this forums are mil-sim guys.

because developers deciced to make game for the Life servers,dayz players and totaly forgot bunch of clans and units that play this game in way it should be played

Exactly how? ArmA 2 and especially OA was full of Life and Wasteland servers as well.