teacup

Sukhoi-22M4, Soviet attack aircraft

scr_05.jpgSu22_M4_bw.jpgSu22_M4_bw_wide.jpgscr_06.jpg
scr_01.jpgscr_02.jpgscr_03.jpgscr_04.jpg

A modded version:

Howdies! I'm releasing my Su-22M4, not because it's nice and ready and spit-polished, but because i cannot spend another month on it right now. I've had it in the works for about 2 years, and put in many-many hundreds of hours - it started chipping away at my sanity. It's in a usable state i think, i hope players will enjoy it as it is, i will finish it up eventually. I had many features planned, and will get to them.

For those who haven't seen the preview topic, it's a low poly model, but with photo textures. One of the reasons why it took so long, is that i went and photographed the plane for hours on end, then stitched GigaBytes of photos together to form the diffuse textures. What you will see in the game are those master textures reduced to a fifth maybe, of their original resolution. The Su-22 is an ongoing hobby project of mine, if you have in depth information about it, good quality photos (specially the cockpit, hud, gunsight, TV system), maybe access to the plane itself, drop me a line. I could use a bit of help.

Credit for the sounds goes to BigPickle (aka Mr. Speed of Sound), and greets go out to RKSL-Rock for being nice and sending me some material he had.

Bits and bobs

JAM3SwithGAM3S asked on YouTube, how to enable the brake chute that shows in the video, but is not present by default in the addon. Add the following in the plane's init field in the editor:

EH = this addeventhandler ["LandedTouchDown", { eh = _this execVM "TCP_SU22\BrakeChute\BrakeChute.sqf"; }];

The brake chute will deploy for both humans and AI upon landing, it will brake, and wrap automatically. Will probably not work in MP, it's WIP, but experienced scripters can unpack the script from the addon, and modify it to work in MP.

For those unfamiliar with soviet era flight instruments. Red means not functional in the addon.

Version 1.1

I entered the plane in the MANW contest, and for that purpose i tidied some things and added new ones. Not as consistent a release as i would have liked, it's all i could do for now.

Changes in v1.1:
- fixed texture bug on unmarked version
- fixed rocket sounds muted by official patch
- fixed brake chute skinning bug (there was one floating vertex)
- added flight stick/pedal animations in the cockpit
- added Polish and desert textures and markings
- replaced ArmA2 bombs with new ones

Known issues:
- new bombs receive no projected shadow
- brake chute script missing from this PBO, for those who wanted to tinker with this feature:

//Best way to call this script, specially for AI planes:

//_eh = _plane addeventhandler ["LandedTouchDown", { _eh = _this execVM "TCP_SU22\BrakeChute\BrakeChute.sqf"; }];

_plane = _this select 0;

//Code to run when the plane has slowed enough and is time to disconnect the brake chute

fDeleteChute = compile "

_this switchMove 'Closing';

_this removeAllEventHandlers 'AnimDone';

sleep 5;

deleteVehicle _this;

";

//Code to run when the drag-chute has opened

fSlowDown = compile "

_paraf = _this select 0;

_planef = attachedTo _paraf;

_paraf switchMove 'Fast_Loop';

_paraf removeAllEventHandlers 'AnimDone';

_speed = -1.7;

for '_i' from 0 to 13 do

{

_vel = velocity _planef;

_dir = direction _planef;

_planef setVelocity [ (_vel select 0) + (sin _dir * _speed), (_vel select 1) + (cos _dir * _speed), (_vel select 2) ];

sleep 0.5;

if (speed _planef < 60) exitWith

{

_paraf addEventHandler ['AnimDone', { _this select 0 spawn fDeleteChute; }];

};

};

";

sleep 1;

//Create the brake chute

_para = CREATEGROUP EAST createUnit ['TCP_Su22_BrakeChute', [0, 0, 0], [], 0, 'NONE'];

//Add an event handler to trigger when the chute-opening animation is finished

_para addEventHandler ['AnimDone', { [_this select 0] spawn fSlowDown; }];

//attach chute to plane

_para attachTo [_plane, [0, -8.6, 0.3]];

//Play the chute-opening animation

_para switchMove 'Opening';

//Show canopy, ropes and cable as they come out

sleep 0.1;

_para setobjecttexture [0, 'tcp_su22\BrakeChute\BrakeChute_co.paa'];

sleep 0.3;

_para setobjecttexture [1, 'tcp_su22\BrakeChute\BrakeChute_co.paa'];

sleep 0.3;

_para setobjecttexture [2, 'tcp_su22\BrakeChute\BrakeChute_co.paa'];

news_download_a3_3.png

banner-420x120.png

Version 1.1 from MEGA

Version 1.1 from Steam Workshop

Edited by teacup

Nice! But question, Will it have a "Service Menu" in the future?

Great work, textures look really cool bro.

I enjoy the little screen in the cockpit.

Good soviet feel and all that stuff, should go nicely with RHS when its released, bomb some Chechen insurgents or Georgians.

Nice job

Wow I just realized that the UB20 also show the empty spaces like in the BI T199 :D

I'm also in love with the TV display and all the cockpit detail level! Bravo!

Is the TV screen supposed to be PIP, I dont use PIP so I can't tell.

I wonder if it is though.

Is the TV screen supposed to be PIP, I dont use PIP so I can't tell.

I wonder if it is though.

Yes, it is.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Amazing plane! Really impressive job on the textures and nice functionalities too! I love the firing cam! This would be a really nice entry to the MANW contest!

Edited by super-truite
double post

Very nice addon, seriously one of the best airplanes made for Arma . I have one question though, what is the purpose of the screen inside the cockpit?

Edited by Nikiforos

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@tpc_su22.png

@ teaCup;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Thanks for the plug & mirrors Foxhound and Sonsalt.

Will it have a "Service Menu" in the future?

I don't know yet. It might, but the current proxy/arming system is so complicated, that i might just do several fix loadouts (mixed like it is now, bomb heavy, ATGM heavy) instead of fully customizable pylons. All of the weapons are stand-ins right now, they are ArmA3 stock, except for the FAB-250s from ArmA2 masquerading as FAB-500s. But it will get an authentic assortment of weapons eventually, giving mission makers some options.

I have one questions though, what is the purpose of the screen inside the cockpit?

In real life, it's a daytime only, black and white (projected onto a brown-yellowish screen) TV system used for missile guiding. In my addon, it's mostly decorative (PIP textures do not support post processing, and the rendered view distance is too small to be useful). The optic is supposed to mimick that TV system, but i didn't have the time to set it up with post processing, 2x and 4x magnification, etc..

Edited by teaCup

Dangit! Last minute config changes will do that to you. Oh well, it's a minor visual bug, unless a serious usability problem arises, i will not be patching it soon.

To remove them textures from the unmarked plane, put this in the init line:

this setObjectTexture [0, ""]; this setObjectTexture [1, ""];

Dangit! Last minute config changes will do that to you. Oh well, it's a minor visual bug, unless a serious usability problem arises, i will not be patching it soon.

To remove them textures from the unmarked plane, put this in the init line:

this setObjectTexture [0, ""]; this setObjectTexture [1, ""];

thanks was jsut mucking around dog fighting at 8000 ft with these on stratis brilliant the photo texture make the plane feel alot better :)