laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

Awesome stuff.

Dude, you play like me. Same mods, same graphics settings (expect for DOF, causes reticule ghosting), same "try to follow head movement that you see in third person when bandaging"

Thanks for the motivation, guys! :)

Another small feature I threw together today:

Unfortunately I have no clue how I could mute all sounds except for the overpressure/ ringing sound - "x fadesound y" mutes the sounds played with "playsound" aswell.

ACE did it in ArmA2 and 3 but I have no clue how.

The current mod status:

The "code framework" works very well but I'm having _serious_ trouble with finding decent sounds for the reverb.

So, if you'd like to contribute:

What I need are gun reverb sounds... in a very high quality.

High quality means: Clearly audible, no disturbing noises like talking, magazine rattling, shot in an appropriate area so that the reverb is rather long, at least 3 seconds - the longer the better.

YouTube video links are enough.

I really don't care what weapon it is, I can always just modify it or use it for different calibres.

That's it for this evening (11pm here in Germany), I'll probably have some new ear candy tomorrow but I can't make any promises. :)

Hey man,

Check your inbox. ;)

Hey man,

Check your inbox. ;)

I replied. Thanks again! :)

There are two things I like with you: Rather then you promise new videos you

are keep producing them and they sound awesome!

The other thing is quality of your sounds and dynamic range.

I like you!

Hey man,

Check your inbox. ;)

When is ACSE coming out!?!?!? :D Recruiting a new programer,... humm,... a few more months of waiting i see....

When is ACSE coming out!?!?!? :D Recruiting a new programer,... humm,... a few more months of waiting i see....

Nah, he just helped me out with some reverb sounds. So no ACSE delaying because of me, haha! :D

//

It's my favourite time of day - Update time!

One of the biggest issue I had was that the whole soundscape sounded very messy during a firefight, 'think I mentioned that.

I'm a lazy bastard but in the end I decided to realize the simple but a bit more work-intensive idea I had from the very beginning:

Different reverb sounds depending on distance.

Implementing it but mostly editing the respective sounds didn't take half as long as I thought and the result is more than pleasing if you ask me! :)

I did something for the ones that like video updates as much as I do, of course. :)

I like the echo (delay effect) , the reverb sounds a bit long and high pitched.

im seeing this is going to be very nice though .. snap when you shoot ................................pop were it lands

all we need is a gore mod after this....

I like the echo (delay effect) , the reverb sounds a bit long and high pitched.

im seeing this is going to be very nice though .. snap when you shoot ................................pop were it lands

all we need is a gore mod after this....

The snap is from JSRS, all ES handles is the gun reverb and the gun echo (which isn't the sound of the bullet impact, btw :P)

The snap is from JSRS, all ES handles is the gun reverb and the gun echo (which isn't the sound of the bullet impact, btw :P)

So it's compatible with other sound mods like SOS, right!?

ah, I see ... this is about the gun.... not bullet .

never mind , lol ... I might be misunderstanding it, it dosnt matter , this sounds like a cool project and it sounds greate.

So it's compatible with other sound mods like SOS, right!?

Damn right! ;)

The current mod status:

The "code framework" works very well but I'm having _serious_ trouble with finding decent sounds for the reverb.

So, if you'd like to contribute:

What I need are gun reverb sounds... in a very high quality.

High quality means: Clearly audible, no disturbing noises like talking, magazine rattling, shot in an appropriate area so that the reverb is rather long, at least 3 seconds - the longer the better.

YouTube video links are enough.

Hey! Im really impressed with your work so far, this will improve everybodys A3 experience by miles! :cool:

Im not a sound-guy, so I dont know if this is what youre looking for:

On some of shots you can hear the sound of somebody taking photographs and even the engine noise. I hope this was usefull and that I didnt waste your time.

Hey! Im really impressed with your work so far, this will improve everybodys A3 experience by miles! :cool:

On some of shots you can hear the sound of somebody taking photographs and even the engine noise. I hope this was usefull and that I didnt waste your time.

This should be very useful in case I'll redo the tank reverb sounds (which I plan to do because the current ones are a bit short). Thank you very much! :)

Just the sound of the reverb, you can already start getting more immersed with it. If this is clientside, I can't wait to hear this stuff while playing MP. Good work, and good luck with improving it Laxemann!

Im really impressed with this mod and in no small part due to its compatibility with other sound mods. Love the work guys... keep it up!

This should be very useful in case I'll redo the tank reverb sounds (which I plan to do because the current ones are a bit short). Thank you very much! :)

Keep in mind that the audio is extremely compressed/unnatural-sounding. Check out this video that features full dynamic range:

versus this one that does not:

This is exactly what Arma3 needed imo. :) Just chucking an idea out here. I wonder in future would it be possible for the Arma weapon system designers (we are blessed with them in Arma) to include a dry weapon discharging sound effect, by this I mean removed reverb :D? Therefore creating a more balanced audio picture in LE S enviroment and not having two reverbs... The weapon reverb then the LE S mod reverb. I'm thinking along the lines of what Robalo has done for attachments. By maybe moving a patch file into the addons folder to remove the integrated audio reverb?

This is not a criticism but will the reverb/effects be generic or specific to the round/shell type?

Thanks

ps I'm a great believer in maintaining the dynamic range.

Edited by taumargin

Keep in mind that the audio is extremely compressed/unnatural-sounding. Check out this video that features full dynamic range:

versus this one that does not:

this comparison is extremly useful to keep in mind 99% of youtube sources are microphone-limited!

It would be interesting where the position of the micro is. Seems a little bit far away to avoid distortion.

It would be interesting where the position of the micro is. Seems a little bit far away to avoid distortion.

The annotation says it is not in the same position as the camera, but the relative distance from the vehicles is similar. At @3:30 the camera moves to the mic position, then at @4:30 they go back to the original camera position and use a different mic there.

*edit* - it seems to me that YouTube is suddenly doing strange things to the audio of the first (full range) link - is anyone else getting dropouts?

The second mic sounds like a internal video camera with little or no wind shield and has totally different microphone characteristics to the first. :p

The second mic sounds like a internal video camera with little or no wind shield and has totally different microphone characteristics to the first. :p

yes, thats the difference between cheap inbuild microphones of smartphones/cameras with high distortion and not linear frequency response versus expensive microphones with high dynamic range and linear frequency response. Good microphones are VERY expensive.

yes, thats the difference between cheap inbuild microphones of smartphones/cameras with high distortion and not linear frequency response versus expensive microphones with high dynamic range and linear frequency response. Good microphones are VERY expensive.

Exactly, and the reason why the vast majority of YouTube videos are a poor resource for real-world examples of sound.

Exactly, and the reason why the vast majority of YouTube videos are a poor resource for real-world examples of sound.

... and the reason why ES is taking so long. :D

I've been watching around 600 videos of guns firing on YouTube in the last week according to my history.

*sigh*

... and the reason why ES is taking so long. :D

I've been watching around 600 videos of guns firing on YouTube in the last week according to my history.

*sigh*

haha keep up the good work though. It's an excellent concept and has the potential to transform the sound of Arma. I may just add you to my xmas card list :D