warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

20 hours ago, Rich_R said:

This latest chinook mod can either answer a question or take the inquiry as something to think about for this possible mod.

Wiki states the Chinook can carry 33–55 troops, yet the most I seem to recall being available in current Chinook mods is 24. Is this a game limitation? Would this number be of interest to groups?

Really curious.

Looks good either way!

A British Chinook (ZA718) once hauled 81 paratroopers during the Falklands conflict:

http://www.airforcesmonthly.com/2010/09/27/the-legend-of-bravo-november/

Although I'd like to see that modeled in Arma, I don't think you'd be able to squeeze that many models inside without it clipping

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bitesrad said:

Warlord being a one man BAS army :D

hahaha man that was one of my OFPR favs! ;)

• Like 2

Just now, warlord554 said:

hahaha man that was one of my OFPR favs! ;)

They were phenomenal back in the day, glad to have a spiritual successor :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, domokun said:

A British Chinook (ZA718) once hauled 81 paratroopers during the Falklands conflict:

http://www.airforcesmonthly.com/2010/09/27/the-legend-of-bravo-november/

Although I'd like to see that modeled in Arma, I don't think you'd be able to squeeze that many models inside without it clipping

There are seatbelts on a chinook for 33 in the back.  However, we're only restricted by what we can secure, and weight.  So if we can secure guys to the aircraft, and we have a gross weight of less than 50,000 lbs (depending on tab data/PA/power and TQ limitations) we can carry.  If it fits we ships.  US Army Hooker here

• Like 3

are those weight/power capacities for current 47 tech or the newest 47G's (not modified chinooks). I know now they are purpose built new airframes with the newer engines

While the CH-47 is designed for 30+ troops, the MH-47 rarely carries that many.  Mostly it is used to move teams over extended distances.  Early days of OEF 160 executed moving teams and equipment over very long ranges, up to 18 hours of flight time with multiple air refuels.  Gear and light vehicles take up a lot of room on many missions.  Crew Dog Gamer nailed it that a lot of how much you carry depends on pressure altitude and temperature.    Power for the MH had to be increased because of the extra weight (sensor, comms and HUGE fuel tanks). Would think ~20 pax is realistic, however I will defer to the Hooker ;) as the expert.

Awesome work so far on the *hithook!

• Like 1

The MH-47G uses 714's. It's the same engine as the D and F model still in use are using.  We have them on our F models.  Really the MH47 only has a few differences.  You'll see custom (sort of) modifications that a birds FE will do to it such as seat mounts for example.  The MH's have larger fuel tanks, FLIR Pods, more stuff for radios and SATCOM,  the refuel boom for aerial refueling, rescue hoist, mostly mission equipment stuff.  Mechanically all current Chinooks are exactly the same (hydraulics, engines, landing gear, rotor system).  The biggest differences are in the avionics, fuel, and mission equipment.

• Like 2

Oh random food for thought on the 47's.  There are actually different armor configurations you can have for it. Known as the BAPS (ballistic armor protection system).  You have two main configurations.  Either the entire floor of the bird can be armored (from the ramp to the nose for the most part) or you can have crew stations with armor underneath and in the left gun and cabin door positions there is slight armor on the lower half (mostly shin armor kind of useless).  So basically where your ramp gunner, cargo hole lay down, left gun, cabin door, and left and right pilot seat positions are there are ballistic plates rated for 7.62 (unless you're an aussie and you have armor rated for .50) covering your ass underneath you.  

As an example of the light load SOAR Chinooks often carry, Razor 03, the Chinook intended to insert MAKO 30, the SEAL AFO team that Petty Officer Roberts was part of, was only carrying MAKO 30.  That's five dudes.  Lotta space to stretch out.  The Chinooks got a lot of playtime in Afghanistan because they could party up in the mountains where the Blackhawks and Little Birds struggled.

Will this mod allow the aircraft equipped with pods to shoot there own FFAR Flare for self visual aid. IR, White, Green, Red, etc?

Thanks

no such plans. just turn your nvgs on and train like you fight

• Like 4

Just trying to mirror real life assaults on target. The pilot in command can use his own flares the illum an area with IR strobe when ground units aren't able or in need of help. Thought it would be a nice touch.

Thanks

Do you need some pilots to test the AFM?

*stares with shining eyes*

:f:

• Like 1

fastroped from the 60M for the first time, weird thing is I didn't know I had fastrope in game without ace. was epic

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, warlord554 said:

fastroped from the 60M for the first time, weird thing is I didn't know I had fastrope in game without ace. was epic

Sounds like one of those epic Arma moments!

finally got the rotor animations working good (they flex correctly with rpm). have also included collective animations but they may only be usable in AFM mode not sure yet. 

I'm hoping tonight to have door guns manned, animated and functional tonight after work. also have some cool ideas for door gunners I'm gonna test ;)

• Like 17

Keep at it warlord, you know we all appreciate your hard work and dedication on these.

• Like 3

It feels like we are gearing up for a Spring time Christmas... =)  Thanks for the updates!!!!

• Like 2

i forgot the rotor blur for the test flight. haha oh well you get the point.....

wJZNIt2.png

• Like 23

@warlord554  Will a video be made for the release?:slayer: It would be great because he deserves it. the bird its perfect. great great work so far.

• Like 3

The bird looks soo sexy, very good work!!

• Like 2

@warlord554

Any chance for a sneak preview of the cockpit? Also, since the blackhawks will have their vanilla counterparts modeled, I was wondering if the same goes for the Chinook?

• Like 1