United States Air Force

Do you like the Air Force mod  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Air Force mod

• Yes, I love it
    • It's meh
    • No I hate it

wait you put GAU-21s on it? <3 x400

No it has M2s on both sides of the HH60. The CV22 is unarmed.

Edited by randomslap

No it has M2s on both sides of the HH60. The CV22 is unarmed.

Very excited. Just out of curiosity are they the actual version that they have on the pave hawks or are the they BI version?

Very excited. Just out of curiosity are they the actual version that they have on the pave hawks or are the they BI version?

HH-60s have a refueling probe, assuming thats what you meant

HH-60s have a refueling probe, assuming thats what you meant

no it was about the M2's there is a certain version that is used on the Pavehawks same as with the Navy's SH series. I cannot remember the name.

EDIT apparently they are the GAU-21 Found here

Edited by R. Brown

no it was about the M2's there is a certain version that is used on the Pavehawks same as with the Navy's SH series. I cannot remember the name.

We are using BI's M2 for now. There is no belt feeding into the M2 but we are working on that.

Random, can you tell us if we will ever get to see an armed variant of the CV-22?

It's a possibility but we will see. I'm still digging around to see an Air Force version..if I don't find it you will not see it in this mod but one of our other mods not in current development ( United states marine corp) you will see it

Random, can you tell us if we will ever get to see an armed variant of the CV-22?

EDIT: I agree with Fuller. If we can't find evidence of the armed CV22, then we will not make it. This mod is based on accuracy to the real aircrafts that are used in the USAF.

I am not sure. We may or may not have an armed variant of the CV22. I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to model a mount and take BI's M2 or M240B. If we do decide on an armed variant, we will try to have it as an option in the service menu.

Edited by randomslap

Woot! Thanks a million Fuller. Can't wait to see more outstanding work from you and your team.

I have a two small questions: what is the crew size, and what is the occupant cargo capacity?

Edited by Dragonblade117

We are using BI's M2 for now. There is no belt feeding into the M2 but we are working on that.

Still awesome thanks for the reply

I have a reference shot of the feed system for the Pave Hawk M2 I took during AvNation 2012 and it's not so much a belt, more like an M61 feed. If you're interested let me know and I'll dig it up.

Okay, i did a bit of research about the armed V-22, theres this one line of wikipedia about the BAE IDWS (belly gun):

"The belly gun system was installed on half of the first V-22s deployed to Afghanistan in 2009"

Although this does not state the V-22s being USAF of USMC, i highly doubt it would be USAF since it also states only USMC V-22s were deployed in Afghanistan in 2009, no USAF ones. This also makes sense considering the logic of brigning USAF Ospreys by air when you can bring a whole bunch at the same time as well as other helicopters and harriers with an LHD by sea without wasting any aircraft fuel. Also, all the pictures featuring an IDWS mounted on the Osprey i could find are USMC V-22s. Most likely no IDWS has ever been installed on a USAF V-22 which means no armed Osprey for us.

Yea, the CV-22 has a nose mounted thermal/IR camera mounted on the bottom. It would be cool if the co-pilot could get some functionality out of it, like on Konyo's MH-47E.

Confirmed the USAF CV-22 can indeed be armed with a machine gun on the back ramp, at least an M2 from what i found:

At 0:57 you can see the USAF markings on the tail as well as the M2 machine gun. Also, later throughout the video you have multiple shots of the ramp mounted gun including an interior one confirming it is in fact an M2. It also seems to be folded to the side to (obviously) allow troops to board. This could be an interesting feature to fold the gun to the side although far from being necessary.

We really have to stop giving them ideas and requests lol let em release 0.3 first then well see ;)

I hate to say I didn't notice it, and was looking at the full image for about 5 minutes until I finally read the M2 bit and went, "oh. God I'm stupid."

Yea, the CV-22 has a nose mounted thermal/IR camera mounted on the bottom. It would be cool if the co-pilot could get some functionality out of it, like on Konyo's MH-47E.

Already done, co-pilot MFD has PIP monitor displaying the feed also.

Okay, i did a bit of research about the armed V-22, theres this one line of wikipedia about the BAE IDWS (belly gun):

"The belly gun system was installed on half of the first V-22s deployed to Afghanistan in 2009"

Although this does not state the V-22s being USAF of USMC, i highly doubt it would be USAF since it also states only USMC V-22s were deployed in Afghanistan in 2009, no USAF ones. This also makes sense considering the logic of brigning USAF Ospreys by air when you can bring a whole bunch at the same time as well as other helicopters and harriers with an LHD by sea without wasting any aircraft fuel. Also, all the pictures featuring an IDWS mounted on the Osprey i could find are USMC V-22s. Most likely no IDWS has ever been installed on a USAF V-22 which means no armed Osprey for us.

BAE systems talked about using the IDWS on some CV-22's however the air-force never announced it, even though the makers of the weapon system did. I posted a quote from a spokesmen at BAE systems saying it was used and they have spoke about it being deployed along side the Air Forces special forces branch and I could re-post it to try convince the team to add it, but I would imagine that the reason it was never announced by the USAF is because of the rules of engagement that was in place - fire only when fired upon etc. That's why its hard to find images but it was definitely confirmed by BAE that USAF were using it.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Again for reference and hopefully for the USAF team to change their minds about the IDWS here's BAE's announcement.

"Jan 17/08: BAE Systems announces external link that they will develop the Remote Guardian System for the CV-22 Ospreys that will be flown by US special forces. The $491,000 U.S. Special Operations Command contract calls for rapid development, installation, testing, and qualification of this solution, and has a potential value of $16.3 million if all options are exercised and the solution goes into production for the SOCOM fleet.

The US Marine Corps’ MV-22B tilt-rotors are not involved in this contract, nor have they signed a separate contract with BAE Systems at this time."

And another confirming production

"May 1/08: Production begins. BAE Systems Inc. in Johnson City, NY receives a FFP pre-priced contract modification for $8 million for a CV-22 interim defense weapon system productions option in support of U.S. Special Operations Command and NAVAIR. Work will be performed in Johnson City, NY from April 30/08 through Jan 31/09, using FY 2006 SOCOM procurement funds and FY 2008 Navy aircraft procurement funds. This is a within scope modification to a competitive contract where 2 offers were received (H92222-08-C-0006-P00003)."

I hope this is enough to convince the team that the IDWS would be ideal for ArmA 3 and probably would be greatly welcomed by the community.

seems to be sound issues, i get an error in the editor about weapon sounds when I select a USAF vehicle. this is happening for others?

BAE systems talked about using the IDWS on some CV-22's however the air-force never announced it, even though the makers of the weapon system did. I posted a quote from a spokesmen at BAE systems saying it was used and they have spoke about it being deployed along side the Air Forces special forces branch and I could re-post it to try convince the team to add it, but I would imagine that the reason it was never announced by the USAF is because of the rules of engagement that was in place - fire only when fired upon etc. That's why its hard to find images but it was definitely confirmed by BAE that USAF were using it.

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Again for reference and hopefully for the USAF team to change their minds about the IDWS here's BAE's announcement.

"Jan 17/08: BAE Systems announces external link that they will develop the Remote Guardian System for the CV-22 Ospreys that will be flown by US special forces. The $491,000 U.S. Special Operations Command contract calls for rapid development, installation, testing, and qualification of this solution, and has a potential value of $16.3 million if all options are exercised and the solution goes into production for the SOCOM fleet.

The US Marine Corps’ MV-22B tilt-rotors are not involved in this contract, nor have they signed a separate contract with BAE Systems at this time."

And another confirming production

"May 1/08: Production begins. BAE Systems Inc. in Johnson City, NY receives a FFP pre-priced contract modification for $8 million for a CV-22 interim defense weapon system productions option in support of U.S. Special Operations Command and NAVAIR. Work will be performed in Johnson City, NY from April 30/08 through Jan 31/09, using FY 2006 SOCOM procurement funds and FY 2008 Navy aircraft procurement funds. This is a within scope modification to a competitive contract where 2 offers were received (H92222-08-C-0006-P00003)."

I hope this is enough to convince the team that the IDWS would be ideal for ArmA 3 and probably would be greatly welcomed by the community.

All hail deltagamer!! Finder of quotes and obscurish information.

@Sig [uSMC] Looks really good, glad to see you guys went with a darker colour than the original blue you had in the first screenshots. So will we be able to decide if it would have a ramp gunner or IDWS through the service menu?

@Dragonblade117 Haha Thanks :)

Edited by deltagamer

;2758431']Pretty much a 2 day adventure with the CV22' date=' we are getting close gents .. just working on getting the service menus in and fully functional. I'll have fuller take some more screens but for now here is one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxk2ozmloxe6b6z/2014-08-21_00005.jpg

By "two day adventure," do you mean two more days, or you have been working for two days? I am jonesing for the update so we can use the osprey and HH-60G heli on our mission this Saturday.

;2758431']Pretty much a 2 day adventure with the CV22' date=' we are getting close gents .. just working on getting the service menus in and fully functional. I'll have fuller take some more screens but for now here is one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxk2ozmloxe6b6z/2014-08-21_00005.jpg

Outstanding, really nice texture!

@deltagamer - There are currently 4 color schemes in the service menu library, default = Blue Grey/ Light Grey/ Dark Grey and a Black Grey. We are currently talking about the rear gun and IDWS, not in this next release but maybe down the line.

@Dragonblade - Been working on this service menu for 2 days along with minor fixes and tweaks.

@MistyRonon - Texture are pretty nice at semi-distance, eventually I would like to remap the whole thing and get it done properly but I can only polish a BIS turd so much .... btw I hate mirrored textures