Kydoimos

ArmA 3 : RESIST

I'm more interested in the matching animation.^^ In Arma 2 there were a few "after-chopper-crash"-animations, one containing a guy that gets up and then has to rest on his rifle, crouching and face down. I remember this because I actually used it to simulate someone throwing up after awaking from an accident. I really could've used the sound back then. :D

I've got a guy using the toilet in one of my missions.

Placed down the Latrine and had him sitting on it.

It's the very first 2 minutes of the first mission.

I've yet to pick up on the campaign and finish it. Oh well..............:j:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?166344-SP-Campaign-L%C3%B3ngzh%C4%93ngh%C7%94d%C3%B2u-(Enter-the-Dragon)-by-Kommiekat&highlight=Enter+Dragon

Just in case you miss this in-game - yeah, it's an FIA member dragging an ammo crate script. Plus, another FIA member in a special uniform I knocked together, with an AAF shirt instead of AAF trousers like the standard FIA rifleman. I'm really working hard to achieve attention to detail. For instance, this scene has only about 4 seconds of screen time. If you look the other way, you'll miss it. But then, you'll be looking at something else which is quite cool... you get the idea.

2014-04-28_00001_zpsf8c939d8.jpg

Looks good, did you just merge the two textures with each other?

No, I actually took a sample of the shirt from the FIA rifleman texture and used it to create a whole new uniform! I was quite pleased with the result. I've also added some other new guerrilla uniforms, just changing the colour of the shirts really, to add variation.

Don't lose yourself in too many details, though. First step should always be to get the whole thing playable. Finetuning and details can always be added at the end (and really shouldn't be before, imo).

Don't lose yourself in too many details, though. First step should always be to get the whole thing playable. Finetuning and details can always be added at the end (and really shouldn't be before, imo).

That's sound advice - It's really easy to be distracted by the shiny shiny and not keep one's eye on the ball (imo anyway, no slight to the cool cutscene stuff you're doing).

I got sidetracked putting cool shit into my competition entry and now I'm a month behind where I planned to be.

Edited by Das Attorney

Thanks guys - yes, too true. I'm running on a pretty tight schedule. So far, about on track. It doesn't help I'm in the process of moving and have a uni dissertation to complete next month. All the same, I've given up sleep - out of love for the community! :p I'll make sure the gameplay aspect gets some TLC. Please - give me some pointers - I'd love to know what elements you would like to see in the campaign. Das Attorney - good luck on your entry!

Thanks for your kind words firstly. :)

To be honest mate I don't know what to tell you about pointers. I'll tell you what I like in a SP game, but then you could probably ask 100 people and get 100 different answers.

If you're asking then I'd have to say that SP is more enjoyable for me if there is only one protagonist and I have some sort of easy motive to understand, like revenge or reconciliation for example. Rydigiers Pilgrimage is a perfect example for me. I do the mission because I have an easy motivation:

"I need to get my dearly missed bro's body and wreak havok on the people that killed him".

For me, I get into that more than playing as some sort of anonymous spec-forces kind of guy where I don't really give a shit because I know fuck-all about him and what makes him tick.

Also, complexity is sometimes too much and switches me off. Sylvester Stallone is often ridiculed for looking like he's thick or drunk, but let's not forget that this guy wrote and directed Rocky that won some (3 maybe) Oscars.

I watched an interview with him where they questioned the relative short length of his films compared to the Hollywood trend of longer films, and he basically said that as a viewer; he gets bored and wanders off if a film goes on for too long, so he tries to wrap up the stories in his movies in swift fashion.

Personally, I appreciate watching a movie and seeing the gears kick up pretty quick so you get from point A in the film to point B in timely fashion! (like in "The Terminator" or "Predator"). No scene is wasted.

Anyway, I've had some drinks tonight so I've bollocked on too much.

If I was going to give advice, I'd say to this:

I've given up sleep

Don't do it man - or you'll get all crazy and shit! :)

Lol - okay, well - it's nearly 1AM now, so, I'll work another few hours then get that sleep. Otherwise you'll notice the RESIST campaign de-escalate into gibberish...

Anyway, I've had some drinks tonight so I've bollocked on too much.

Nah, that's pretty correct. Sometimes less is more- your creation should only be called finished if you have removed everything that is really not needed in it. Focus is important.

Additionally to it, performance is important too. Me personally, I am always only adding as much stuff into my mission that the performance stays good for me (I don't have a super computer, so that's good- more people can play them). I've seen too many user created (singleplayer) missions that added so many scripts and units and whatnot that really weren't needed at all (in singleplayer it's all about faking stuff, you don't have to do things "for real"), but dragged down the performance horribly. So yeah, long story short... There is no need to add 3 full tank battalions if the player will only see one of them in the mission anyway.

That's some random rambling, sorry. Need to go to work now. :>

[...] in singleplayer it's all about faking stuff, you don't have to do things "for real" [...]

That's true! I'm currently working on a mission where you pick-up some client from the central airport and drive him to various places on the island (while protecting him). It's all in an AAF occupied zone so you have lots of roadblocks, checkpoints etc. plus ambient civillians walking and driving around. And the mission does not force you to one specicifc route so I really have to create checkpoints on every possible route. If it wasn't for the simulation manager the mission would be unplayable due to really bad performance.

Thanks guys - very helpful. My PC is slightly better than average (it's no super comp!), so, performance wise, it shouldn't be too bad. I generally allocate my time per mission, then, if I'm ahead of schedule, I'll add the eye candy etc. Basically, May-June episode 3, July-August episode 4, September-October episode 5. That's the plan, anyhow. Also, if it does well, I have a story arc for 'Exploit' and 'Avenge'! I'd love to be able to make those campaigns happen too! But really - one step at a time. One tiny, little step at a time!

Hi chaps - so, you can probably guess what I'm going to ask you all! IF you enjoyed what you've played of ArmA 3 Resist, please support and vote: http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/g0Y3lPei2x#.U2AFYGdOUdU - cheers!

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

As well - if any fellow MANW contesters stumble on this thread - best of luck to you! I mean it - I have a new found respect for all you passionate mission makers out there. Can't wait to see what people are up to! Doln's project looks quite exciting, I must say!

Agreed.

But All projects look good: Op Cold Rising, Resist, Cerberus, Under the eagle eye and Poltergeist

Edited by Wiki

Oh, Wiki - I'm away from my desktop PC for a bit today - open a thread on your mission making issues and send us the link, I'll help if I can.

Thanks everyone for those early votes and supports! I know it's very early days for the contest, but you can always rescind your vote if something better comes along! Of course, I'll do my best to entice you to stay! If you've had the chance to play 'Road's End', please take a moment to share your thoughts; wherever possible I'll cater to feedback from the community. Constructive criticism makes for good dialectics and dialectics = progress!

Gave my feedback to you on steam already but again: good start, waiting for more. Great voice acting, good selection of scenes and events and nice details. A bit short though but for a starter / intro mission totally okay. Only thing to nag about would be that the optional task has no influence on the outcome in my sense.

Hello again,

Could you kindly put a link for your Steam page on the first post?

Thanks !

Hi chaps,

Thanks for that IndeedPete - yes, it's quite a short preamble. The second and third missions are a little longer, but still fairly short. The fourth - well, that sort of makes up for it! And the fifth is also quite long. All in all, should balance out. The optional task could be made a little more significant if I delay the evac by an extra minute - but I'll wait for a bit more feedback. Also, there's an RCO scope at killfarm on a machinegun - it's very helpful later on. I could add a few bits to the crate too? FAK? Grenades maybe? Mining the road prevents a truck-load of trouble :) But yes, I think we can think of something to make it more worthwhile!

Kommiekat - good thinking! Added. Cheers!

Check out RESIST's soundtrack, performed by Kevin MacLeod:

Yes, some kind of "hold the LZ" would make fulfilling the optional task worthwhile and as a side effect the mission would be slightly longer. Music sounds good too!

Pretty awesome that Mr. Macleod is onboard. Keep up the good work.

That Romeo voice actor sounds like he is super bored and will fall asleep any minute, by the way. :>