Kydoimos

ArmA 3 : RESIST

Okay, just let me know what your requirements are. It should be little effort to adapt my suite to your campaign.

Quick question.

From where i can download whole campaign (i would like to have this as a campaign file)? On steam there are only missions 1,2,4,5. Can't find it on armaholic or on campaign site. Any help.

@tom3kb - hi there, mate! Right - here's the situation :) Basically, I'm in the process of consolidating the whole campaign into a single downloadable file (with lots of surprises and cool new stuff). Unfortunately, I'm fast running out of space on Steam Workshop, but hopefully, once everything is put together, the whole campaign will be able to be uploaded. Once it's ready, it'll appear on Armaholic and MODDB. Should fix lots of existing bugs and issues too! Also working on a CTRG scenario!

Here's a bit of mood music for ya! :p

Four fantastic Arma-inspired tracks by community composer, Valtteri Harju, created to accompany a forthcoming CTRG scenario.

@up

Ok, thx for info. So I'm waiting for the full version :)

Hey Kydoimos! Loved all five missions! Recently I've managed to get some time to play the last two... And gathered some in depth feedback for you ;)

Mainly, I perceive Arma 3 missions / campaigns should be as realistic as possible within current engine constraints, so I'm looking to improve people's creations whatsoever ;)

Lots of feedback below (open the 'Spoiler' tags :P).

MISSION 04 - OPTIONS NONE.

• Why not freeze the player when he’s talking to Knight and Drakon in the town? You can run around like a chicken and nobody will say anything.

• Punish player for opening fire in the town for no reason.

• Additional task to take ‘As many mines as player’s capacity allows’ to make sure player doesn’t waste time?

• There’s no waypoint automatically set for ‘Preparations’ task after the convo with Knight. Was unsure where to go at first.

• When you leave Knight and his friend for North, I think they should move themselves to a safe spot. Because they’re standing there in the open like idiots. Why not take shelter or simply establish their ‘office’ in one of the buildings? What if it starts pouring or thunder comes in?

• For mine placing suggestions, you should mark the areas of interest more visibly.

• Why not invite in some other soldiers in town to help creating minefields?

• Give the player a couple suggestions or make sure Knight is ready to help him out about topics like mine placement radius, creating a line of mines for maximum effect, etc. That’d be nice ïŠ

• Turn off all the lights in town to reduce enemy’s possible max visibility?

• It’d be great if the player was to form a circle minefield around the town involving other units, ie, commanding them.

• As AAF fixed-wings bombard the town and several roadblocks of ours are destroyed, why nobody reports in the critical status and the casualties? It seems nobody gives a fuck :D

• Music too loud during the battle?

• For all non-weapon’d vehicles in town: we either set them up for a quick escape plan or drive to the barricades to use as cover. Otherwise it’s pointless to have them parked.

• Maybe add some MGs for defense? Maybe let player to position / control them or ask Knight’s allowance to use more static, but old, guns?

• The more variety, the better.

• What if there was a hidden thermal scope in the town and player is given clues as to where to find it? A challenge for the player, easing his suffering later on ;)

• Why not position ammo / weapon crates near the roadblocks? More comfortable than to run to the town centre to rearm.

• Turn off all vehicle engines in town.

• Why none of the guerillas use flares to illuminate the enemy or have simple NVGs? And they fight in the dark… Well.

Second attack (helping Goddard, etc.).

• Defend Sokalano task. Maybe something more specific? Stop the tanks or similar. Because the task is done once you destroy 2 T100.

• No final words from Goddard as we’ve saved his ass? Sad :/

MISSION 05 - JUDGEMENT NIGHT.

DRIVING SEQUENCE.

• The driver ran over a bunny on the road :/ Ambient life off?

• At departure from Drakon point, player is without NVG. Any hints where to find something of use?

• That many computers in a roadblock tower? An interesting choice :D

• And why cut the lights on the roadblock? The AAF from the town will surely notice, if the shut down wasn’t planned beforehand.

• Also, realistically, I’m sure AAF command would periodically check-in with all towers for their status, especially in such tense times, at night. So Drakon should prepare something to not cause suspicion.

• In town, why not place AAF snipers / recon on buildings?

• Nobody guards CH49 Mohawk in the town except two soldiers at the roadblock? :/

• Is there a way to cut off the power in the town? No hints whatsoever :/

• Why Coleridge wasn’t informed what to look for until he’s reached the tower? Seems amateur to me. What if Coleridge is deep in cover or stressed?

• All info possible should be provided before the OP for as minimum radio traffic as possible later on.

• Let player overwatch the building and identify Goglin by himself instead of a straigj-on waypoint at him? I loved these parts of figuring it out all by myself in Hitman games.

• Why is the no alarm in town after Goblin’s wasted?

• Why not allow player to cut the lights off in town after Goblin’s death? More chances to escape in the dark.

• After killing Goblin, warn the player that he should probably reequip his last-held rifle with a silencer.

• Is there any reason player wasn’t given a silencer for the rifle we shoot Goblin with?

EXTRACTION SEQ.

• Instead of forcing the player to run to the end of a hostile pier in the open for exfil, why not designate a safer, much darker spot to which the boat can arrive?

• Or allow player to find diving equipment and jump into the water immediately?

• Em… Extraction with a Ghosthawk and not a word mentioned for player or someone else to confirm no active AA installations are in town? This is a death receipt.

OVERALL.

• I’ve always felt enemy ORBATs to be available for check is unrealistic. Where do we get all this updated intel on their military structure all the time? An unheard-of double agent working his ass off 24/7?

• In stealth missions, why not allow player to halt incoming transmissions? What if he’s deep in enemy territory and cannot respond? What if I’m behind someone’s back at that moment, trying to drop him, and all of a sudden I respond to Drakon’s advice?

• Ofc, an easier way is to handle this is to go all silent until it’s crucial to report in.

• Is there a way to cut off the power in the town? No hints whatsoever :/

• Why Coleridge wasn’t informed what to look for until he’s reached the tower? Seems amateur to me. What if Coleridge is deep in cover or stressed?

• Disable third person in player-in-chopper cutscenes? 1st person is much more tense, IMO. disableUserInput should work as I can toggle my NVG in various cutscenes.

Thanks for enjoyment testing this, Kydoimos! Cheers!

And I'll probably replay the first three missions and post more of my feedback later :P

• Disable third person in player-in-chopper cutscenes? 1st person is much more tense, IMO. disableUserInput should work as I can toggle my NVG in various cutscenes.

Be careful with disableUserInput, it can cause serious troubles for players if the cutscene suddenly stucks etc. Plus it blocks view keys (head / eye movement) as well. Rather script a more complex solution.

Enforce first person using stacked EHs:

["IP_OnEachFrameEH", "onEachFrame", {(vehicle player) switchCamera "Internal"}] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler;

Remove stacked EH after cutscene:

["IP_OnEachFrameEH", "onEachFrame"] call BIS_fnc_removeStackedEventHandler;

Disable irrelevant user input (but leave Esc and head movement functional):

disableSerialization;

_eh = ([] call BIS_fnc_displayMission) displayAddEventHandler
[
"KeyDown",
"
	if !((_this select 1) in (actionKeys 'PersonView' + [1])) then {true};
"
];

uiNamespace setVariable ["IP_Cutscene_eh", _eh];

Remove display EH after cutscene:

([] call BIS_fnc_displayMission) displayRemoveEventHandler ['KeyDown', (uiNamespace getVariable "IP_Cutscene_eh")];
uiNamespace setVariable ["IP_Cutscene_eh", nil];

@Inlesco - thanks for the feedback! :D Always, always happy to have solid criticism! I'll have an in-depth read through tonight and see what I can do! Lol, yeah - disableUserInput can be the devil! :p Again, thank you!

Excellent solution, Pete! Very nice of you to share it and save people's time ;) I'll use it in my missions as well, as this seems to be the only way to achieve the goal in a clear fashion.

As promised, I've played the first two missions and gathered some definitely useful notes on realism & stuff ;)

MISSION 01 - ROAD'S END.

• Move / let the player move a little. The sun is too bright. Not sure Coleridge’d be comfortable with his position IRL too ;)

• Punish player for shooting in the open for no reason, you can also shoot at AAF truck without penalties.

• Allow player to end your suffering comrade’s death as he’s badly bleeding?

• Why wouldn’t AAF ambush us over the hill immediately after buzzsaw hit? A perfect chance ;)

• Nice ‘Old school’ line after player picks up a C4 on a barrel at Kill Farm ;D

• Burn down Kill Farm to prevent AAF taking sensitive info?

• No time limit for Ghosthawk extraction? Player could be running forever and Ghosthawk doesn’t care with the engine revving full. Nobody seems to be interested in how many of US survivors are running towards the EVAC, if there are any.

• I think the soldiers inside the BH (by Default) should disembark out of the chopper to recon the area or form a circle around its LZ, so AAF doesn’t surprise-ambush everyone. Because when I saw BH for the first time in the distance, everybody was in. Dumb to assume it’s all safe and heaven on Stratis ;)

MISSION 02 - ESSENTIAL REQUISITE.

• Music stopped playing after I reached the first wind turbine.

• Advice for the player from Knight? Make sure the player approaches the compound from a direction opposite to the sun.

• I threw a grenade at the crew in the compound and it immediately caused the alarm. How?

• My granades didn’t blow up the laptops and mobile phones on the table. Why? :D

• When player overhears Typhoon check in for compound’s status, I think player should say report in to Knight like… “Looks like there’s some company already heading my wayâ€.

• After alarm rings, why nobody from the metal barracks didn’t come out? It’s dangerous to stay in such a closed area. They can get nade’d at any time.

• Why there’s no soldiers in the compound’s towers overwatching the area? I’m sure AAF expect company by default. After all, a chopper just landed a click away, and it surely wasn’t theirs judging by its noise.

• When player approaches two white dashboards in the barracks, he should comment on what he sees / report to Knight.

• For anything of interest player locates in the compound / elsewhere, he should ask Knight for his advice. Fe, the 3 static AT launchers in one of the barracks. They could be useful. Laptops, mobile phones, etc.

• When you’re ordered to await November, it’s not clear where he lands. I accidentally ran away off the the compound and November landed just there. Either force player not to leave the compound or make Nov’s landing position dynamic. 1st option is better IMO for immersion and tension ;)

• After rendezvous and a little SITREP, why player, Knigtht and others don’t form a team? It’s too messy to them everyone running on their own to secure the barracks. Unprofessional sorta. ;)

• For some reason Knight ran away from the Barracks.

• Inform the player that ultimately he should take care of large & long buildings in the airfield? Put some enemies in there, make sure player reports in when each barracks is clear. This is a for a better UX (user experience), IMO.

• Bunnies running over AAF corpses in the middle of the airfield. Comic :D

• I secured the barracks, but there were still lots of enemies left, at least 3. Too small trigger radius?

• Bonus points for the player if he takes secret AAF intel from the compound and elsewhere? Make every laptop placed an opportunity for the player to shine ;D

• Ummm… Any idea why this OP is during the day and not at nighttime? That’d be much more wise and safer. Unless there’s some unexplained objective to rush forward to… Fe., to disallow AAF deepen their positions, not sure…

Edited by Inlesco
Additional feedback

Sgt Gul, Kydoimos may be still fixing the last bits and bolts of Resist, as it isn´t released as a full campaign yet... you can play the missions individually, thou (I know, I also prefer to play it as a proper campaign, but it is as good as it gets right now)...

As a silverlining, he was working already on a brand new campaign, maybe it is progressing fast, and  he doesn´t want to lose the momentum, to just get back to Resist to fix all loose ends on the campaign file config! Let us hope for the best =)

cheers!

• Like 1

cheers Corporal, i only played the first 2 missions because i couldnt find the 3rd one. Will check it out now, and its a wonderful news that a new campaign is on its way :)

@Sgt gul - hi there, matey - thank you for your patience! On the final hurdle now; just got some animations to add and a bit of playtesting! Full campaign will be arriving very soon now! :)

• Like 3

Right, quick update - if all goes to plan - should be seeing a full release at the end of the month :)

EDIT: Apologies - it's December and very nearly ready for final release! If you absolutely can't wait any longer, PM me and I'll get you an early dose!

Right, quick update - if all goes to plan - should be seeing a full release at the end of the month :)

The month that just ended? ;)

• Like 2

The month that just ended? ;)

Lol, nice try - nah, end of November :D

Here's a bit of eye candy for some of the objects I've created (model for the manhole was kindly made by Daniel Boggild - I hadn't a clue how to use Blender at the time!)

Manhole_Render_zpsvergdy4e.pngGun_Rack_Render_zps5xo3pvou.pngMilitary_Bed_Render_zpsfs7vfmgt.pngMilitary_Whiteboard_01_Render_zpsfkpbkk3

• Like 3

Yeah, pressing to test full release! :D

So, when I played, french translate wasn't complete. Does is it fully complete when campaign ready?

Have fun kydoimos!

@FR-Helios - Final campaign release will have full translation in every language! Every user action, editor object, marker, and line of dialogue will be translated. No doubt, there will be some mistakes (not many, I hope! 95% has been professionally translated), It's been a long haul with the language barrier, but I think it'll be the first Mod project (that I'm aware of!) to be fully translated into all the available A3 languages. Man, I can't wait to show you guys the stringtable - it's truly epic! The localization team, headed by Alan Orman, have really, really worked hard to accomplish it!   

@FR-Helios - Final campaign release will have full translation in every language! Every user action, editor object, marker, and line of dialogue will be translated. No doubt, there will be some mistakes (not many, I hope! 95% has been professionally translated), It's been a long haul with the language barrier, but I think it'll be the first Mod project (that I'm aware of!) to be fully translated into all the available A3 languages. Man, I can't wait to show you guys the stringtable - it's truly epic! The localization team, headed by Alan Orman, have really, really worked hard to accomplish it!   

Great news :)

Okay guys, some news on the final release;

it's very nearly there, just waiting on one last animation from the very talented Bad Benson! Presently doing a final run-through and checking for any outstanding bugs / issues. Won't be long now!

For all of you who are interested, here's a full changelog - BIS style!

• Like 5

Okay guys - we're there!

Resist is out now on Steam Workshop, MODDB, and Armaholic.

I dare say there might be one or two issues, but I'll get a hotfix out for anything that turns up in the next day or so.

Finally, because you lot are so great, there's a $50 Steam Voucher give away. The prize is ready and waiting - you just need to find the code... or should I say, grid co-ordinates? Good luck!  

Also, the Resist website has had an overhaul :P

• Like 5

Yeah, baby! Finally it's here! :)

Congrats again, Kyd, for this fantastic work!

@Undeceived - cheers! Hope there's not too many bugs! Did I mention I played Dying Ember last month? Really enjoyed it, man! Let us know when you release your next project! :D

• Like 1

Hi kydoimos!

I just DL your Resist campaign, excellent work about your professional quality! Respect! :P

I just a little bug in arma launcher. I don't have "Resist" title but "$STR_Campaign_Title" (code in stringtable doesn't work for me).

About this, I have a question, I hope you can to help me. I work my new campaign "Navy Seals - Blood Brothers".

I have a problem with my description.ext of Campaign Folder.

I write per mission for example:

class NS_01
        {
            Victory = NS_02;
            Defeat = NS_01;
            Defeat2 = NS_01;
            template = NS_01.Stratis;
            lives = -1;
            briefingName = $STR_Title1;
            author = "Helios";
            overviewPicture = "\NavySeals_Chap1\Img\M01.jpg";
              overviewText = $STR_Description1;
        };

In my campaign menu, I have everything work fine except all overview texts of missions (doesn't display).

Thanks in advance (for your help) :)