Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

I have started a new Pilgrimage, this time purely vanilla. I fought against a group of AAF who were patrolling through a village, one of them was hiding in a building, and another one surrendered. I could sell loot directly from various corpses including my companion regardless of who killed them. The rifles of the dead and stuff dropped by the soldier who surrendered could not be sold directly but that's normal, isn't it? And I haven't seen any friendly BluFor troops, this time.

I think it's safe to say that vanilla works as expected. Nothing strange happened. Now I could start over and use mods. I'd like to start with a package of addons which are not likely to cause any trouble: CBA, DragonFyre, RYD_BT, RYD_Incognito, Tao Foldmap, tort Dynamic Weather, Unlocked Uniforms. If these work, I intend to add AGM and play again. Finally I'd add TPW without ebs unless the experts sugggest otherwise.

The rifles of the dead and stuff dropped by the soldier who surrendered could not be sold directly but that's normal, isn't it?

Yes.

I think, your "no sell action" issue was apparent - units without this action IMO was those from TPW skirmish, so they should not have such action (Pillgrimage adds it only to the units spawned natively, by Pilgrimage's code), thus all would be OK with your mods here, just don't expect that selling action on the bodies of units not spawned by Pilgrimage itself.

Just disable skirmish in tpw, you really don't need it for this awesome mission.

Agree totally, don't need that enabled! And yeah it's awesome!!!!!! ;)

:)

Dev branch updated to 1.91 beta 1:

- block radio chatter from just killed TL/group;

- civilians pointing nearest empty vehicle;

- more frequent civilian pointing a stronghold;

- FIA present in AC basing on reputation, when closest stronghold was cleared.

Blocked is only single message, if between triggering and displaying it TL will be killed.

Civilians pointing vehicle or stronghold/airfield possible all the time, but (after passed reputation check) probability for that kind of intel is like x5 higher after body is found (then Alex will ask primarily about those, while earlier he was focused on the body location).

FIA may appear as part of AC in form of a single additional group out of AL intesity limit each time AC is spawning new groups, but counting for area spawn limit for "L" mode, thus with it AC on given area may burn out faster. Probability is based on glory and infamy (how inspiring Alex is for the locals), but there is also another condition - closest stronghold/airfield must be cleared out, that means, there is at most single group of those garrisoning the base left in the 1200 radius around the stronghold.

Edited by Rydygier

:)

Dev branch updated to 1.91 beta 1:

- block radio chatter from just killed TL/group;

- civilians pointing nearest empty vehicle;

- more frequent civilian pointing a stronghold;

- FIA present in AC basing on reputation, when closest stronghold was cleared.

Thanks Rydygier. Do you know i've never completed this yet, because every time you release a new one i start from scratch. Even if i'm so so close. I just enjoy playing it, which is proof enough of how good this SP mission actually is! :D

It's hard sharing my time between this, crCTI & Sari & Zerty's Warfare.....:)

:D Indeed. I'm sometimes abandoning current gamepaly as soon I've got lots of weapons, good repo and vehicle, sometimes even before I find the body, and prefer rather to start again. Well, after newest changes I'll have another motivation to play also after finding the body.

I like to finish the mission just to have closure, otherwise I think I might have missed out on something. The trip back to the boat isn't always a relaxing ride, especially if you took a roundabout route to get there and you are taking a direct route back.

Luckily I finished my 1.90 mission last night. I didn't see any parachutists coming down but there was a radio message about some coming down where I had just left. I also had a couple of helicopters marked as enemy.

Despite having air patrols set to very long, I never saw a gunship in the whole mission. It soon became obvious where the airfields must have been. Air support was called out when I was in Anthrakia but never arrived. I assume the AI pilot collided with something and came down. I don't know if a radio message could be incorpor

ated somehow to advise the local units that air support is no longer coming, as the message would have to be from a local unit.

Having a greater chance of a stronghold being revealed is welcome. As the airfields were obviously at Molos and Selakano, and I was in west Altis, I was left with checking stronghold locations as I went round, but didn't find any. As I found the body I just went back to the boat.

:D Indeed. I'm sometimes abandoning current gamepaly as soon I've got lots of weapons, good repo and vehicle, sometimes even before I find the body, and prefer rather to start again. Well, after newest changes I'll have another motivation to play also after finding the body.

Yeah it's a good thing when you release new updates because there's usually updates and fixes to the mods i'm using, so all good! ;)

Just about to start Dev branch 1.91 beta 1.

Edited by Law-Giver

Due to my various tests I started several Pilgrimages in rapid succession and I did see paratroopers, last night. They were dropped extremely close to my position and I wasn't prepared for so many enemies. I shot at them as they were decending but those who survived didn't take long to hunt me down. It was a very intense firefight and a nice adddition to the gameplay.

Thanks to all who replied and offered their advice to solve my issue. I did indeed disable Skirmish with the help of Gliptal's TPW configuration device. This was the solution because now there is no confusion about the origin of a particular soldier and I can reliably sell loot from the bodies.

Another thing I noticed: Normally I don't use the companion in the mission. I just keep him waiting in the boat in case I need a water-taxi. During my tests I played with the companion and often teamswitched into his role. I realized that he cannot enter vehicles. He can stop and commandeer them but once the driver gets out the companion does not have the option to board the vehicle. If Alex instructs him to board, the companion acknowledges the order but he simply stands close to the door. I hope this is by design and not another thing I'm doing wrong.

I realized that he cannot enter vehicles. He can stop and commandeer them but once the driver gets out the companion does not have the option to board the vehicle. If Alex instructs him to board, the companion acknowledges the order but he simply stands close to the door. I hope this is by design and not another thing I'm doing wrong.

Companion is just a simple switchable AI team mate, nothing particular about him, that could affect such sort of things. Not sure, what possible cause may be, but car traffic along with comandeering feature is another part of TPW's, so maybe he will be able to explain that.

During my tests I played with the companion and often teamswitched into his role. I realized that he cannot enter vehicles. He can stop and commandeer them but once the driver gets out the companion does not have the option to board the vehicle. If Alex instructs him to board, the companion acknowledges the order but he simply stands close to the door. I hope this is by design and not another thing I'm doing wrong.

You're not doing anything wrong. Welcome to commanding AI in Arma 3. The AI seem to need a clear 50m around the vehicle to get in or out, otherwise they may get bugged or become unresponsive. If the vehicle is near a wall, moving it away from may allow the AI to get in, if you can do so without running him over. Surprisingly, at times, they are capable of walking through walls to get in a vehicle. They seem unable just to get in a vehicle that they are standing next without setting off on a hike in a big circle before coming back to the vehicle.

By the time I have freed the two captives, I usually find that one of the AI is affected but not the other two. It just doesn't help if it happens to be your companion from the start of the mission. I often leave him behind to man a mortar while I move on target. I only order him to man the mortar if I have targets in sight. If he doesn't get on the mortar after a couple of goes, I use team switch to work him. Be aware, if you get him to dismount and take cover, all he does is go prone next to the mortar.

alky_lee, thanks for your comment. But I am not talking about the usual clumsiness and reluctance of the AI when it comes to boarding vehicles. In this case the companion simply does not get in even after completing his 50-meter-loop though he acknowledges the command. Usually, if AI doesn't want to hop in, they say something like " No can do!" or they simply dance around the car for ages before they make up their mind - as you described it. Now, in Pilgrimage we can treamswitch into this companion. When I do so and try to board a vehicle, there is simply no option. Standing near a door does not pop up the steering wheel or the passenger seat icon. The car seems to be locked to the companion. When I teamswitch back into Alex I can board any vehicle there is. In other words, it doesn't seem to be the typical AI commanding issue but some other phenomenon.

alky_lee, thanks for your comment. But I am not talking about the usual clumsiness and reluctance of the AI when it comes to boarding vehicles. In this case the companion simply does not get in even after completing his 50-meter-loop though he acknowledges the command. Usually, if AI doesn't want to hop in, they say something like " No can do!" or they simply dance around the car for ages before they make up their mind - as you described it. Now, in Pilgrimage we can treamswitch into this companion. When I do so and try to board a vehicle, there is simply no option. Standing near a door does not pop up the steering wheel or the passenger seat icon. The car seems to be locked to the companion. When I teamswitch back into Alex I can board any vehicle there is. In other words, it doesn't seem to be the typical AI commanding issue but some other phenomenon.

When I had the same problem, after team switching to the companion, I had to team switch back to Alex, issue the order to get in again, and then when I team switched back to the companion, the option was there to get in. I think in that mission I had an AI who would do nothing by himself, so I had to team switch whenever I wanted him to move. Luckily it hasn't repeated itself since.

@Rydygier

Just had another idea while playing, and hopefully easy to implement. When enemy radio's for aerial or armored support, could you maybe add an ETA in minutes from said support? Will just add that little extra when you're listening on the radio and giving you a time warning on whether to sit and stay or get the f*ck out of there! ;)

ETA message is easy to add. But how to calculate it? Taking into account AI's driving "skills"? :)

ETA message is easy to add. But how to calculate it? Taking into account AI's driving "skills"? :)

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just an approximation. It's just to give it another bit of realism. And something else to worry about! ;)

I was right next to the airfield and could see the chopper before they radio'd in so maybe a distance check before ETA is called. No point giving an ETA when its about 200m away eh? :D

Also i don't know if it's me but i came across 2 pilots and couldn't sell their personal loot from their bodies!!!! :confused:

Edited by Law-Giver

Roughly may be. For the choppers rather easy. For the vehicles it may be very roughly or a bit less easy - counting road segments between A and B.

i came across 2 pilots and couldn't sell their personal loot from their bodies!!!!

Playing with TPW's air ambient perhaps? Selling action is added at init to every single unit, that is alive on the map at the moment, which includes pilots of Pilgrimage's two choppers. Those aren't even cached, thus rather not possible, so these pilots are origining from Pilgrimage.

Roughly may be. For the choppers rather easy. For the vehicles it may be very roughly or a bit less easy - counting road segments between A and B.

Playing with TPW's air ambient perhaps? Selling action is added at init to every single unit, that is alive on the map at the moment, which includes pilots of Pilgrimage's two choppers. Those aren't even cached, thus rather not possible, so these pilots are origining from Pilgrimage.

Yeah it's no biggie with pilots, very rarely come across them anyway, but thanks for pointing it out. ETA for choppers only would be cool, if vehicles are a pain due to terrain and distance and possible enemy contact then by all means leave it. ETA choppers are all you need. :D

One thing more - ETA would be given by the chopper pilot. And radio range is for all these messages except hunting 1200 meters only. So if chopper is farther, player is not hearing chopper's comm at all. Hm. I can enhance the range, but it will reduce usefulness of radio comm - now if you hear the radio, enemy sender is in 1200 radius - valuable info. After that range change - sender may be anywhere, so you lose some intel advantage here.

Or to find the explanation, why is the support caller saying/confirming ETA?

One thing more - ETA would be given by the chopper pilot. And radio range is for all these messages except hunting 1200 meters only. So if chopper is farther, player is not hearing chopper's comm at all. Hm. I can enhance the range, but it will reduce usefulness of radio comm - now if you hear the radio, enemy sender is in 1200 radius - valuable info. After that range change - sender may be anywhere, so you lose some intel advantage here.

Or to find the explanation, why is the support caller saying/confirming ETA?

Whatever magic you come up with, i'll be happy either way. Got work for the next couple of nights so i hope you'll have something for me to play with next week. Not trying to rush you Rydygier. ;)

howdy!

this mission still is one the of best things to happen to arma 3. honestly.

quick question: I hope you're not mad at me that I tried to mod the mission a bit more to my taste. Is there a script or entry that defines the Weapon and appearence Alex is getting at the start? I would like him to have MP 5 / M4 for example.

thanks again for all the time you put into the mission!

hatever magic you come up with, i'll be happy either way. Got work for the next couple of nights so i hope you'll have something for me to play with next week. Not trying to rush you Rydygier.

:) We'll see, what's doable&reasonable...

quick question: I hope you're not mad at me that I tried to mod the mission a bit more to my taste.

On the contrary, I'm glad. Always been encouraging people to mod my work towards their taste and do all the things, APL-SA license allows. Piece of the code responsible for armament, that may be randomized for Alex and his companion at init is located in the JRInit.sqf, lines: 3268-3273 (difficulty normal+) and 3275-3278 (difficulty easy). If you changed something, or I did lately, lines may be slightly different. So the code is this:

_weapArr = [["hgun_PDW2000_F",["30Rnd_9x21_Mag"]],["SMG_01_F",["30Rnd_45ACP_Mag_SMG_01"]],["SMG_02_F",["30Rnd_9x21_Mag"]]];

if ((dayTime < 4.5) or (dayTime > 19)) then
{
_weapArr = [["SMG_02_F",["30Rnd_9x21_Mag"]]];
};

if (RYD_JR_BetterGear) then
{
_weapArr = [["arifle_TRG21_ARCO_pointer_F",["30Rnd_556x45_Stanag"]],["arifle_TRG21_GL_MRCO_F",["30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","1Rnd_HE_Grenade_shell"]],["arifle_TRG20_Holo_F",["30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag"]]];
};

In general, pool to randomization is holded by _weapArr local variable. "Daytime" part is an addition to make sure, at night Alex will get the only vanilla SMG compatibile with the flashlight.

Simpliest would be delete the quoted code, and use instead:

_weapArr = ["my_favourite_MP5_class",["magazine_for_my_favourite_MP5_class"]];

Appearance (randomization pool) is just below, stored in _uniforms array.

Edited by Rydygier