Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

Liar !!! :16_6_8:

LOL! Was it that obvious? :D

:) We'll see, what's doable&reasonable...

I expect nothing more! ;)

@Anyone who's interested.

Here's a pic of me using igiload script and earplug script, which is a bit gimmicky i know! I can put a quad bike in the truck. Earplug is just what it says, it's easier than turning the volume down to the precise amount when required. Handy when driving or artillery is right next to you! :D

It's just me tinkering while i'm bored. None of Rydygiers code was harmed during the making of this version! ;)

arma3_2015_02_21_11_11_01_71.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

@Rydygier

Just a suggestion, i edited the text as you already know. But i started to edit the Radio text, merely adding the words "Situation report" for example. Anyway, I was playing and this radio message i edited popped up (Picture below) and just seeing the edited words "CONTACT!" made me jump somewhat as i didn't spot the enemy until they started firing seconds later. Maybe you could add the word to the appropriate text......or not! Just a simple word can make a lot of difference, well it did for me anyway. ;)

Radio.jpg

Edited by Law-Giver
Upload picture!

howdy!

this mission still is one the of best things to happen to arma 3. honestly.

quick question: I hope you're not mad at me that I tried to mod the mission a bit more to my taste. Is there a script or entry that defines the Weapon and appearence Alex is getting at the start? I would like him to have MP 5 / M4 for example.

thanks again for all the time you put into the mission!

Hello there

Try this mod to set your initial kit. Dont cheat though!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287108427

Rgds

LoK

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by orlok viewpost-right.png

Hello there

Try this mod to set your initial kit. Dont cheat though!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=287108427

Rgds

LoK

Not a good idea using that in this type of mission. I wouldn't use it!

I agree. Half the fun of this mission is starting with very little and picking your fights in order to upgrade your weapons/gain ammo to tackle bigger targets. It gives you something else to think about at the start when you are finding your way in a strange world, when you run short of ammunition in each firefight and have to take more risks to do so.

Agree with Alky_Lee spend several hours searching for the right ammo to take down a airfield, if i assaulted any troops in the area the armor and heli would come straight away and take me out, this is 1 of the things that keeps me atracted to Pilgrimage you never know what you will run in to and if you got the "firepower" for it.

Agreed. Finding my first set of NVGs in a loot crate this morning made me feel warmer and fuzzier than DayZ ever did :P

Agreed. Finding my first set of NVGs in a loot crate this morning made me feel warmer and fuzzier than DayZ ever did :P

I'm like that when i find the tactical glasses or the perfect weapon. I play this on "HARD" though with a "LOW" % of loot in buildings, which means i really have my work cut out! :D

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Was finally nice to see parachutes! Was on Pyros and was surrounded, felt like the movie "Hamburger Hill". I took it and i held it! Plenty of fun with a sniper rifle and an rpg! :D

arma3_2015_02_22_15_57_15_55.jpg

I'm like that when i find the tactical glasses or the perfect weapon. I play this on "HARD" though with a "LOW" % of loot in buildings, which means i really have my work cut out! :D

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Was finally nice to see parachutes! Was on Pyros and was surrounded, felt like the movie "Hamburger Hill". I took it and i held it! Plenty of fun with a sniper rifle and an rpg! :D

http://s27.postimg.org/bx7hyvtof/arma3_2015_02_22_15_57_15_55.jpg

I started a new 1.91 beta mission this morning on 1.40RC branch, and was having a nice firefight with a CSAT fireteam in Oreokastro when an AAF helicopter flew over and dropped some parachutists behind me. I went to shoot them as they came down, and then realised I was still using the Sting SMG I started with, and not much ammo, so I didn't. They then came and interfered in my firefight, but kept the machine gunner occupied for me while I took him out.

With the loot I have it on normal at 75%, and was very pleased to get some rangefinders in a loot box. None of the enemies so far have had any.

Simpliest would be delete the quoted code, and use instead:

_weapArr = ["my_favourite_MP5_class",["magazine_for_my_favourite_MP5_class"]];

Made this little function just for filling that starting weapon pool. Went for checking mass instead of bullet types for simplicity.

private "_smgs";
_smgs = [];
{ 
_smgs pushBack [configName _x, ([getarray (_x>>'magazines'), {getnumber (configfile>>'cfgmagazines'>>_x>>'scope') == 2}] call BIS_fnc_conditionalSelect) select [0, 1]];
} forEach (("isclass _x && {getnumber (_x>>'type') == 1} && {getnumber (_x>>'scope') == 2} && {count (_x>>'linkeditems') == 0} && {getnumber (_x>>'WeaponSlotsInfo'>>'mass') < 60}") configclasses (configfile>>'cfgweapons'));

_smgs

Edited by Robalo

Nice idea, Robalo. (for not scripters: This way initial weapons array is dynamic so may include also custom weaponry).

Dev branch updated to beta 2:

- enhanced ranges for some radios: 15000 for the choppers, 10000 for artillery, 4500 for motorized patrols;

- prevented a risk of motorized patrol/chopper calling himself :) ;

- FO will not call for arty, if distance to the target is anyway too small (preventing call arty/negative spam);

- correction in the enemy spotted comm.

ETA is given with tens of seconds precision, roughly of course.

Radio for the infantry is still 1200, and 6000 for hunting. I wondered, how to explain those range differences. IMO best way is via transmitter signal stregth and receiver sensitivity/tune accuracy, both dependent on radio type. I hope, this make enough sense.

Dev branch updated to beta 2:

- enhanced ranges for some radios: 15000 for the choppers, 10000 for artillery, 4500 for motorized patrols;

- prevented a risk of motorized patrol/chopper calling himself :) ;

- FO will not call for arty, if distance to the target is anyway too small (preventing call arty/negative spam);

- correction in the enemy spotted comm.

ETA is given with tens of seconds precision, roughly of course.

Radio for the infantry is still 1200, and 6000 for hunting. I wondered, how to explain those range differences. IMO best way is via transmitter signal strength and receiver sensitivity/tune accuracy, both dependent on radio type. I hope, this make enough sense.

Obviously different roles will have different types of radio depending on their particular role. Any military unit will have a range of different radios on different wavelengths for different purposes. Although with the situation on Altis in the Pilgrimage mission, it is likely that some units will have obtained more powerful radio equipment than their role would normally require.

Infantry have to carry their radios, so they are light but only have a limited range and are designed for communication on the company net. A platoon signaller will have a larger more powerful radio with a greater range. The company will have a static mast with long transmit/receive range and more than one type of radio for communication with the battalion and possibly brigade HQ. Often signals from this can be received on less powerful equipment that cannot transmit that distance itself.

Choppers and airfields need to communicate over the greatest distances so have the longest range radios, similar to artillery. Vehicles will have built in radio equipment and will need to communicate over greater distances, similar to a company signaller, and may have more than one type of radio. Recon groups will also have better radios as they may work apart from other groups that they need to communicate with. I would imagine that airfields and strongholds would be used for broadcasting military signals.

Obviously different roles will have different types of radio depending on their particular role. Any military unit will have a range of different radios on different wavelengths for different purposes. Although with the situation on Altis in the Pilgrimage mission, it is likely that some units will have obtained more powerful radio equipment than their role would normally require.

Infantry have to carry their radios, so they are light but only have a limited range and are designed for communication on the company net. A platoon signaller will have a larger more powerful radio with a greater range. The company will have a static mast with long transmit/receive range and more than one type of radio for communication with the battalion and possibly brigade HQ. Often signals from this can be received on less powerful equipment that cannot transmit that distance itself.

Choppers and airfields need to communicate over the greatest distances so have the longest range radios, similar to artillery. Vehicles will have built in radio equipment and will need to communicate over greater distances, similar to a company signaller, and may have more than one type of radio. Recon groups will also have better radios as they may work apart from other groups that they need to communicate with. I would imagine that airfields and strongholds would be used for broadcasting military signals.

Nice informative reply there alky. ;)

@Rydygier

Before the beta2 i'd see the RADIO transmission calling for armored or air support. With air i'm only seeing the "RTB" message and the armored "we're on our way" message. Is this due to the limited radio range of the original caller that i can't see his call for support? ;)

Well, if caller is farther than 1200 from you, then yes - you can hear only response sent from vehicle's strong radios, but not the call from the weak walkie-talkie (earlier, before choppers/arty/armored got strong radios, in such cases you saw/heard nothing). I guess, it's rather rare situation, so they call support from >1200, because it's always because of Alex, so they need to spot you from this >1200 distance. Possible rather mostly if Alex is using a vehicle. If caller is closer - you should be able to monitor complete communication from both sides. I was able in my today tests.

Edited by Rydygier

Well, if caller is farther than 1200 from you, then yes - you can hear only response sent from vehicle's strong radios, but not the call from the weak walkie-talkie (earlier, before choppers/arty/armored got strong radios, in such cases you saw/heard nothing). I guess, it's rather rare situation, so they call support from >1200, because it's always because of Alex, so they need to spot you from this >1200 distance. Possible rather mostly if Alex is using a vehicle. If caller is closer - you should be able to monitor complete communication from both sides. I was able in my today tests.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been zipping around in a hijacked strider hmg, dodging artillery and mortars, so could have missed said transmissions. Normally i'm on foot! ;)

Also is there a way of stopping radio transmissions coming through at the same time? I've had multiple transmissions come through including the client info and can get a little garbled. And you can on occasion miss something as it gets nudged up! It's no biggie, just thought i'd ask. ;)

I have tested 1.91 beta 2, and I could hear their request for air support. I had just collected the body and the boat was just across Almyra salt flats, so I gambled on reaching the boat befote the gunship(s) arrived. The AAF also called for support which was also on it's way. I made it, but I did notice that an enemy registered on TPW hud during the outro. Does the in game simulation continue during the outro?

Does the in game simulation continue during the outro?

Main loop exits (some delayed messages may still pop-up several seconds later, should be possible to prevent that though), nothing else changes, so It may be possible to see stuff like that during outro, when playing with some mods.

Also is there a way of stopping radio transmissions coming through at the same time? I've had multiple transmissions come through including the client info and can get a little garbled. And you can on occasion miss something as it gets nudged up! It's no biggie, just thought i'd ask.

Well, I may try to take care, so ADM will appear only, if no radio comm awaits, I could probably even make radio comms display with some minimal interval between each, if doable without delaying too much, as eg you can read, so ETA for the chopper is 1:30, while the comm is 0:30 outdated due to such intervals... We'll see.

Well, I may try to take care, so ADM will appear only, if no radio comm awaits, I could probably even make radio comms display with some minimal interval between each, if doable without delaying too much, as eg you can read, so ETA for the chopper is 1:30, while the comm is 0:30 outdated due to such intervals... We'll see.

Yeah that would be cool if you could implement it. ;)

So, dev banch updated to beta 3:

- enqueued communication;

- prevented comm during outro.

From the comm queue excluded are arty comm - those can't be delayed (obviously - splash or rounds complete comm has to be accurate in time, rest too for similar reasons). It's also mildly prioritized. One side effect - sometimes call for support may be earlier, than enemy spotted report. Acceptable IMO, it may be that way. Wasn't trivial, as each comm is executed in parallel due to sleeps/waituntils, while had to be kept certain order in some cases (call-response). Queue includes ADM, also selling stuff comm, and partially phone calls, but these are too long, so only begin gets time stamp.

So, dev banch updated to beta 3:

- enqueued communication;

- prevented comm during outro.

From the comm queue excluded are arty comm - those can't be delayed (obviously - splash or rounds complete comm has to be accurate in time, rest too for similar reasons). It's also mildly prioritized. One side effect - sometimes call for support may be earlier, than enemy spotted report. Acceptable IMO, it may be that way. Wasn't trivial, as each comm is executed in parallel due to sleeps/waituntils, while had to be kept certain order in some cases (call-response). Queue includes ADM, also selling stuff comm, and partially phone calls, but these are too long, so only begin gets time stamp.

Thanks for the update, gives me an excuse to start again. Luckily a few mods have been updated too.......:D

many thanks for the quick answer!

oh and also thanks for the very positive and helpful response! another quick question of mine though...I was just watching "Blood Diamond" and thought "hmmmm, that setting + pilgramage=perfect" or to put it that way, have you thought about a spin off or port to duala maybe? anyhow, thanks again for this masterpiece

Although ports of Pilgrimage require some manual work and fitting to given map some things, is most likely, they will happen, when I'll feel, Pilgrimage is in "final" state, at least for big enough maps with big enough number of locations/crossroads etc. key points. As "Blood Diamond" is very good movie and Duala one of my favourite map, It's also likely, it will be one of the first. I have to think though, are there any chapels? If not, as part of fitting mission to the map, plot have to be changed, and chapels substituted by something else another welcomed change may be set as default hostile population Afrenians/Molatians...

Rydygier, thank you making this SP mission.

A question: to have different (add-on) units active in this mission, is anything required on my part beyond activating the mod that adds them? Does Pilgrimage automatically add them in?

---------- Post added at 00:52 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------

Also, I've googled this endlessly, but I simply cannot resume the mission, regardless of "unlimited saves" being active or not. (disregard, this error apparently has to do with profiles).

Actually, I've given up. The mission refuses to let me resume or load ANY saves, regardless of my loaded mods. I'm at a loss.